Jaime King Attempts to Untangle Hart of Dixie's Sweetly-Twisted Love Triangle

If you find yourself both charmed and slightly mystified by one of Hart of Dixie‘s seemingly innocent love triangles, join the club. We are, of course, referring to the romantic imbroglio at the heart of Dixie (Mondays at 9/8 c on The CW) involving George (Scott Porter), fiancée Lemon (Jaime King), and her star-crossed love Lavon (Cress Williams).

In an effort to untangle this complex webof love and lies, TVLine tracked down King, who explained that there’s “nothing malicious” afoot. Rather, “George and Lemon are just two people that deeply care about each other and are also very confused as to where their hearts really should be.”

But let’s backtrack a bit. Little is known about how and when Lemon — who has been engaged to her high school sweetheart for at least two years — found time to romance the pro footballer-turned-mayor of Bluebell.

Hart of Dixie: You Don’t Have to Be Scandalous to Be Cool,’ Says Star

“My own theory is that George did something when he was in New York that caused Lemon to feel vulnerable,” King muses. “He and Lemon were engaged before he [took the job], and then he left — for two years! — which you just don’t do. And that’s where this thing happened with Lavon.

“The writers won’t tell me what exactly went,” she adds, “but that’s how it was explained to me.”

The actress goes on to disclose that once “George decided to come back to Bluebell, Lemon broke it off [with Lavon] because she’s not a bad person. She wouldn’t be unfaithful in that way.” And in case there was any lingering confusion at the end of last Monday’s premiere, King confirms that there is “not an affair going on right now between Lavon and Lemon, [but] something happened, and we’ve yet to discover what that is.”

Exclusive: Hart of Dixie Snags Episodes/Chuck Actress Mircea Monroe

For the time being, the Lemon/Lavon secret remains safe from George (“We’re already shooting the ninth episode, and they haven’t even told us, the actors, yet!”), but the unspoken tension between the three — four if you count George’s crush Zoe (Rachel Bilson) — is palpable.

“Moving forward, you see how much Lavon and Lemon are really in love,” previews King. “She’s really her true self with him. But then at the same time, when you see her with George, you also see this deep love.

“There are two sides of the coin here,” she continues. “But either way, I know nothing going on is malicious. It’s like any relationship where things just get really confusing.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews

1. Michelle says:

I was really surprised at how much I loved this show. Jaime’s explanation is pretty much what I envisioned after seeing the pilot. I say, bring it! :D

2. Tarc says:

Some people loved this show (which I mostly get), and some people hated this show (which I can partly see as well). To me, it was one of those easy, pleasant shows I come to love, rather like Chuck and Gilmore Girls (which the pilot was really reminescent of). I think it will be a winner if the writing staff finds that sweet spot.

3. Kristina says:

I was definitely skeptical when I kept hearing it compared to GG…but it definitely has that feel-good vibe (ok that sounds weird but you know what I mean!). I loved it!

4. Loni says:

I also enjoyed Hart of Dixie’s premiere. However, my issue with it was the premise of a surgeon becoming a family practice doctor. Maybe it’s because I’m married to a medical resident, but there is NO way that a person just finishing their surgery residency would have ANY idea what do to as a family practice/general practitioner doctor. They would have done one month in medical school and that’s it folks. The whole scene where she delivered the baby seriously made me laugh. No way would that happen. Surgeons are great and all, but they’re not known to like to get down and dirty, they like things much more precise and contained. So if I just forget how she got there, I’ll be good and enjoy the show. I do love that it takes place in the south and, as I live in southern Texas, it’s a fun portrayal of small southern towns.

5. Chuckkles says:

The show shouldn’t be compared to Gossip Girl. Actually, it’s a lot better, but but would be mislead because of the producers and stuff. I hope the show sticks around.

• Kristoffer says:

I am pretty sure (though I could be totally wrong) that they are comparing it to Gilmore Girls – not Gossip Girl.

6. L says:

Ooh, I think Lemon liked it big and black.

7. brandy says:

i love this show!!Rachel is agreat and so is Scott. i really hope it lasts.

8. Stephanie says:

I was so pleasantly surprised by the pilot! I watched because of Rachel but turned out really enjoying it.

9. dennis says:

Love the show but why are they writing off the nurse and her daughter?

• Kate says:

Dennis, the show is not writing the nurse’s (Nancy Travis) character off the show by choice. Nancy Travis quit to go play Tim Allen’s wife on his new show which I believes airs this week. I’ve always liked her and I thought her role on “Hart of Dixie” was her best work in years so I’m disappointed to see her go. Especially since I find her starting and then leaving like this a tad unprofessional.

• Javabooknut says:

It’s actually not unprofessional. Actor’s are often allowed to sign on for more than one pilot since many are not picked up. Usually one has a first guarantee. In this case I believe Travis’ first commitment was to the Tim Allen vehicle. When this was picked up as well they needed to write off her character. The same thing happened with Damon Wayan’s Jr. on the New Girl. Happy endings was mid season replacement which are often not renewed, so he did the other pilot. When it was they had to write him off of the New Girl. I think this happens more often than we know, but usually they will just reshoot the pilot.

10. Kat says:

I watched this because of Rachel Bilson but I’ll admit I had low expectations (I’m a 40-something professional female and the CW doesn’t usually have much to offer me) but I love the show! I like the cast and I think there is a lot of room for the characters to grow. Rachel Bilson is great as Zoe, Scott Porter is too cute for words as George, love LaVon and am thrilled to see Tim Mathison! I hate to see Nancy Travis leave but I hope they allow her niece to stay. I also hope the CW picks this show up and gives it a chance!

11. Ella says:

George/Lemon and Wade/Zoe FTW. I actually like Lavon with Di Di. Lavon/Lemon and George/Zoe have no chemistry whatsoever.