Fall TV Preview

Chuck Scoop: Cheryl Ladd Is Sarah's Mom!

Talk about heaven-sent casting.

Former Charlie’s Angels sleuth Cheryl Ladd has been tapped to play the mother of Yvonne Strahovski’s Sarah on Chuck — and TVLine readers can (maybe) take credit for the casting!

Last week, TVLine suggested five actresses for the plum part, one of whom was Ladd. And when all the votes in the accompanying poll were counted, the 60-year-old actress won with nearly 27 percent.

Well done, my friends. Well. Done.

Look for Sarah’s estranged mum, Emma, to turn up in this season’s eighth episode, slated to air in January. I’m told mother and daughter share a very complicated past and haven’t seen each other in five years.

Something tells me we’re about to find out why.

Ladd can next been seen in an October episode of NCIS as a love interest for David McCallum’s Ducky.

Chuck‘s fifth and (sigh) final season launches Friday, Oct. 28.

Reaction?! Were you one of the prescient TVLine readers who picked Ladd? If so, gloat away in the comments!

Comments (26)

• I am so happy to see this and yes I voted for her! Miss Chuck! Can’t wait for its return!

Comment by Jamey – October 3, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I VOTED FOR HER! Can’t even believe it!

Comment by Ana Bárbara Levinspuhl – October 3, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same thing as Chuck’s Mom: not my first choice, but she’ll do nicely.

Still would have been fun to have Rachel Hunter be Sarah’s mom, just to have that Fountains of Wayne song on the show. :-D

Comment by PJM – October 3, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoops, didn’t know Rachel Hunter was only 42, which is only 13 years older than Yvonne. Wow, Rod. Rob the cradle much?

Comment by PJM – October 3, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL Yes, he does. Repeatedly.

Comment by Sue – October 4, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I voted for her! This is great casting. I can hardly wait to see them together.

Comment by Bella – October 3, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey I was one of the ones who voted for her! Can’t wait to see her, actually I can as this means it’s close to the end of Chuck & I don’t want to see that happen!

Comment by CB – October 3, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We need to get a campaign going to get CHUCK on The CW. They would have a automatic hit with higher ratings than their highest rated show Vampire Diaries. I think it would be a perfect fit. I get so very very sad thinking this is the last season. Anyone think we can get something started.

Comment by chuckrocks – October 3, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I do like the basic idea of finding Chuck a new home, does it have to be The CW? Then it could get all teen melodrama-y, and nobody wants that

Comment by Carmichael – October 3, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really like Vampire Diaries, and think it is very well written and not just for teens as I will soon be 60. I am just trying to think of a network who would benefit from CHUCK the most. I watch a lot of shows on USA Network, but they are owned by the same people as NBC so I don’t know if they would be an option or not. I would be willing to watch any network that would invest in CHUCK. I think Warner Brothers would still be in control of the production of CHUCK as they are now.

Comment by Chuckrocks – October 4, 2011 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To me USA definitely seems like the best option. Law & Order: Criminal Intent successfully made the move from NBC to USA, so I don’t see why Chuck couldn’t.

Comment by DL – October 4, 2011 06:00 AM PDT
  • Awesome news!!! She got my vote, too. Can’t wait!

Comment by Lorie – October 3, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s wonderful. I voted for her as well. I had a wicked crush on her as a young teen. I had the poster of her in the yellow silk komono jacket on my wall, and somehow managed not to go blind.

Comment by Jersey Jeff – October 3, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT!!!!!

Comment by Justin – October 3, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay! i’m excited to know more about Sarah’s past! :)

Comment by kristine c. – October 3, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U voted for Lyndea C arter, but i like the choice.

Comment by Scott – October 3, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I not U … stoopit eyes. :-C

Comment by Scott – October 3, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And we know she plays the mom part well

Comment by Mike – October 3, 2011 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t help but remember the Chuck Vs. Cat Squad. the Charlie’s Angel-ish style of Sarah’s old group. Now her Mom was an angel as well. just Awesome! :D

Comment by kris – October 4, 2011 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone suggested Peggy Lipton which I latched onto immediately, but it’ll be nice having an Angel on TV again. :-)

Comment by LoopyChew – October 4, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought exactly. I had hoped for Peggy Lipton but Cheryl Ladd is a good choice, too.

Comment by Sue – October 4, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best thing to happen to CHUCK since season 1.

Comment by Jake – October 4, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it! I voted for Cheryl Ladd.

Comment by Lisa – October 4, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Producers of the new CHARLIE’S ANGELS are still worried whether Cheryl Ladd will appear on the reboot series meaning if the series can be saved the same way it did for SMALLVILLE (Alfred Gough and Miles Millar). But her guest starring gig on CHUCK seems to be working.

Comment by kevin – October 4, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful choice!

Comment by Terry – October 4, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the only network other than CW for a Chuck Relocation would be TBS or TNT. both are owned by Turner and correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Turner also Time-Warner which is Warner Bros?

Comment by binarydaddy – October 5, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post