Arrested Development Returning to TV?!

Get More: News

Arrested Development fans now have something else to get their hopes up about in addition to that long-teased feature film.

Series creator Mitch Hurtwiz announced Sunday at The New Yorker Festival that he wants to bring Arrested back to television for a brief mini-season prior to the show hitting the big screen.

According to attendees at the sold-out panel — which featured the entire cast of the late cult hit — Hurwitz’s goal would be to produce another nine or 10 episodes, but there’s a twist: Each installment would focus on a different Bluth. Such a move would help alleviate the many scheduling conflicts that would no doubt arise now that much of the cast has moved on to other projects.

Of course, questions remain: Where would the mini-season air? (Our sister site Deadline reports that Netflix and Showtime are in the running.) When would the episodes be shot? And most importantly, what are the odds of this actually happening?!

Stay tuned…

Comments (63)

• All together now…

“I just blue myself.”

Comment by John – October 2, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John FTW!!

Comment by Jason C. – October 2, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Comment by sam – October 2, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’ll probably be on some pay station that we don’t get in Canada, and I’ll have to get the Blu-Rays and blue myself then.

Comment by Rock Golf – October 2, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • try sidereel.com. I live in BC and I can watch pretty much any show for 70 minutes free each day. Sometimes I have to hit a few links to get one to work but mostly I get them to work esp if they are new shows. I cannot seem to get old Scifi shows but ABC family, Sify channel etc no problem..

Comment by skscott – October 2, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watch Project Free TV from Canada. Works great.

Comment by Caiti – October 3, 2011 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Netflix gets the Canadian rights, it could air in both countries simultaneously.

Comment by Nicole – October 3, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When? Never.

Largest practical joke ever pulled!!

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – October 2, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, sadly true story.

Comment by JB Smooove – October 3, 2011 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the love of Gob, please let this happen!!!

Comment by Gabbie – October 2, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Arnett confirmed as well on twitter…
    @arnettwill: I’m peeing with @batemanjason at the moment..and we can confirm that we are going to make new AD eps and a movie

Comment by Waderic – October 2, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jason Bateman just confirmed, too!!…..
      @batemanjason: It’s true. We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early ’13. VERY excited!

Comment by sam – October 2, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Only problem is that it would be to promote a movie, which still isn’t definitely happening with a release date, shooting date, or even finished script.

Comment by Eric – October 2, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Getting a network to agree to air this will be tough. Maybe Adult Swim, IFC, HBO, or Showtime?

As for the movie… if no one watched the show, how the hell will they get people to spend $13 on a movie ticket?

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – October 2, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • there is no chance HBO picks it up…the best bets are Showtime,IFC,FX or one of them new channels looking to make a splash

Comment by ggny – October 2, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The HBO won’t want them; I’m thinking its Showtime!

Comment by Tom – October 2, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • IFC airs them incessantly right now, so if the price is right, they could do it. But is that enough publicity for a movie?

Comment by KevyB – October 4, 2011 07:22 PM PDT
      • I didn’t watch this show when it aired but I do own and watch the DVDs. Some shows just take time to build an audience and I think AD is one of them. I have no doubt that this movie will make money.

Comment by Viv – October 2, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s always money in the banana stand.

Comment by Katie – October 2, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be the greatest thing to ever happen but I won’t be holding my breath. Unless holding my breath helps make this reality in which case I’ll do it.

Comment by Kelly – October 2, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

Dreams DO come true!! RIGHT??

Comment by Lisa – October 2, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! But why go via tv, release it online like Dr Horrible. Much more reasonable. And a great way to pave the road for a movie

Comment by pv – October 2, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing that if they release it online then there’s no way to pay the actors.

Comment by lacey – October 2, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited I can’t calm down! I’m going to consult with my analyst/therapist for help processing this, wow!

Comment by Plu – October 2, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hate to say it but there is like a 80% chance this never happens…this should just release the episode on the internet promote them heavy on Facebook and Youtube go the route The Guild did

Comment by ggny – October 2, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man…some of these comments are classic…..

Comment by Elizabeth – October 2, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhmm, why isnt it on tv now, was it cancelled or just run out its 7 seasons?

Comment by 1mars – October 2, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I didn’t have a live dove in my pants right now, I’d leap across the table and…

Comment by Lisa – October 2, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I REALLY want this to happen, I admit I am a skeptic. Man, I miss those Bluths. I would pay a lot to see what those crazy people are up to now.

Comment by Amy – October 2, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • taste the happy, Michael. taste it.

Comment by miss scarlet – October 2, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tastes kind of like sad….

Comment by Steve Holt – October 2, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After so many clever and sophisticated jokes and plots, why not a meta one, right?

Comment by gargumma – October 2, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this better not be a joke, otherwise faced with the wrath of upset fans, mitch horwitz will be saying “i’ve made a huge mistake.”

Comment by Mehvash – October 2, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will arnette just tweeted that it’s happening…

Comment by Kit – October 2, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I never cared for Gob..”

Will better not be LYING! haha

Comment by Lucille – October 2, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This feels like the Veronica Mars movie to me at this point, at least the new episodes. It’s a great idea, and everyone seems to be on board with it, but people are getting ahead of themselves because it hasn’t actually been picked up by anyone. Nothing in here indicates that there’s actually interest from a network to pick it up. I’m not holding my breath for any of it at this point. That said, I’ll taste the happy IF it ever does happen.

Comment by Lindsey – October 2, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT!!!! BEST NEWS EVER!!!!

Comment by Kiki – October 2, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YAY!!!!!!!!!! please let this happen!!!

Comment by Sara – October 2, 2011 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! this has to happen!! but im not going to put my hopes up just in case.

Comment by Jake – October 2, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s your move, IFC. It’ll be your most absurdly high-rated show of all time.

Comment by John – October 2, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, just now read somewhere else that 20th is talking to Showtime and Netflix.

Anybody else think that a Netflix run would be simply brilliant?

Comment by John – October 2, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I want a billion dollars and world peace.

Both will happen before AD returns to TV or a movie is made.

Comment by Midori – October 2, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No touching!

Comment by ann (her) – October 2, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss the Bluth family so I am very excited about this news! It’s so great that everyone has signed on for the episodes and movie.

Comment by Lacey – October 2, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In other news: Tru Calling to be relaunched with Joss Whedon at the helm.

Comment by Kane – October 2, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would actually be amazing.

Comment by Nicole – October 3, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care where they air this. I’ll be watching it. Multiple times. SO EXCITED.

Comment by Elizabeth – October 2, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news…now I will spend my wishful thinking on The Wire coming back

Comment by Kara – October 2, 2011 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let this happen!!
    AD is one of my all-time favorite shows.
    2013 would instantly be an awesome year if this goes through.

Comment by Eliza – October 2, 2011 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Bland makes an appearance.

I can not wait for this!!

Comment by Josh – October 3, 2011 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi michael, Saudações! Assistência realmente úteis sobre este artigo informativo! É verdadeiramente as modificações pequenas que fazem a maior modificações. Muito obrigado um bom negócio para compartilhar!

Comment by Ajitae – October 3, 2011 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
    This is a big addition to my “Why the world must not end in 2012″ list! :D

Comment by Sarabi – October 3, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, if “Firefly” had “Serenity”, then AD also deserves a shot! Go AD!!!

Comment by fish – October 3, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!! I seriously hope that this is true!! And if it is, I hope that it ACTUALLY happens! Here’s to hopimg!

Comment by Nicole – October 3, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “And that’s why you always leave a note”. Please let this happen – I need me some more “Arrested Development”.

Comment by Ashley – October 3, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys, I am so excited about this, I want to hug all other AD fans in a big giant, online celebratory hug. And during our hug, if you feel something moving down there, it’s just the bird.

Comment by Mr. F – October 3, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, come on! One of the networks pick this up. What are you, chicken? Cuck-a-cuck-a-cuk.

Comment by The Cornballer – October 4, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was one of my favorite episodes, where the family dances around doing their chicken impressions! NBC just canceled TPB and EW is predicting the cancelation of Free Agents, so NBC has room in their schedule. Plus, NBC really needs a hit!

Comment by Lacey – October 4, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i m from brasil i lives americana i need a friends i m jail mr chairman globo tv mr roberto irineu marinho tv globo

Comment by mark amadeu – October 9, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corporate companies as well as private individuals are now making use of these online services as it saves time and money. When searching for an online agency make sure the company is reputable and has a proven track record of offering the best and most comprehensive arrest records. Now companies can employ staff without having to worry about them being criminals as all potential employees can be checked out. A few years back only companies conducted such searched, but nowadays anyone can conduct a search.

Comment by East TN – December 13, 2011 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post