Ratings: Charlie's Angels and Whitney Plunge, CBS' Gentleman Comes Up Short Vs. $#*!

How to Be a Gentleman might be muttering a few coarse words this morning. Although CBS’ new Thursday comedy debuted to a solid 9 million total viewers and 2.7 demo rating, that nonetheless marks a 30 percent drop from what the infamous $#*! My Dad Says did in the plum aprés-Big Bang Theory 8:30 slot a year ago.

Some of Thursday’s other freshman fare fared similarly. ABC’s Charlie’s Angels (7.15 million viewers/1.5 rating) plunged 29 percent in the demo, while NBC’s Whitney (5.37 mil/2.5) dropped 21 and 24 percent, respectively.

The X Factor Recap: Newark State of Mind

The news was “better” for the rest of the newbie class. The X Factor (11.9 mil/3.8) was down 12 percent in the demo but still led Fox to a nightly win; CBS’ Person of Interest (12.42 mil/2.7) outdrew Grey’s Anatomy in total viewers while slipping 13 percent in the demo; and opposite stiffer competition, NBC’s Prime Suspect (5.55 mil/1.5) fell “just” 17 percent from its debut.

The CW’s The Secret Circle meanwhile held steady at 2.1 mil/0.9.

Thursday’s gainers include the night’s most-watched program, The Big Bang Theory (14.6 mil/4.8), which added to its premiere audience; Community (4.1 mil/1.8), up a few points in both measures; The Vampire Diaries (2.7 mil/1/3), gaining 8 percent; and Parks and Recreation (4.4 mil/2.1), which drew a few new eyeballs.

Grey’s Anatomy Mystery Solved: Where the Heck Is Lexie?

A few other Thursday notes:

* Grey’s Anatomy, drawing barely 10 million viewers and a 3.5 rating, dropped 15 percent in the demo.

* Though Parks and Rec this week delivered a marginally stronger lead-in, The Office (6.6 mil/3.4) was down double digits. Sorry, Nard Dog.

* At 10 o’clock, The Mentalist (12.7 mil/2.5) dominated in total viewers while Private Practice (7.9 mil/2.8) led the demos — albeit with its lowest-rated season premiere ever.

1. Martina says:

I gave up on how to be a gentleman 10 mins in, thought it was rubbish, I tried Whitney but again but again gave up 10 mins in. Neither “comedy” was funny

• Templar says:

The only one who is funny on How To Be is Kevin Dillon and he wears thin quickly. Dave Foley is repugnant and not in an amusing way. Whitney is the worst thing about Whitney, and I told them Charlie’s was a mistake. No one listens, sigh.

• Joann says:

I couldn’t take it after 5 minutes — ah 30 minutes of my life I can get back!

• Amanda says:

I try to give a show at least two tries before giving up. Pilots often don’t do a show justice. How to Be a Gentleman wasn’t quite up to what I hoped, but I’ll give it another try.

2. Marcissus says:

Really hope Community did well

3. JJ says:

No surprise ‘Whitney’ would drop. The pilot was average but NBC Thursday’s is weak so it’s not going to be on par with Community and Parks & Rec for ratings. NBC needs to move ‘Whitney’ and pair it with another traditional sitcom format show.

NBC = Hot mess.

4. Sivat says:

The best Thursday night shows are The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle. Glad to see TSC is doing well! Full season pick-up, please!

5. shaun says:

Good,secret circle is holding it’s audience and may grow.

6. Bubba says:

Gentlemen…crap. Charlies…crap but Ramon/Bosley is gorgeous!

7. Andy says:

Charlie’s Angels last night was an improvement from the pilot. Sad people didn’t get to see it.

• Nichole says:

I agree. I actually enjoyed the show. It’s escapist fun. Thursday nights are just too full. My poor DVR doesn’t get a rest.

8. XK says:

Nice to see Community improve a bit. Wasn’t one of their stronger episodes, but still funny. P&R was great. :)

9. bluebonnetbelle says:

I actually enjoyed How to be a Gentleman. The cast have all been scene stealers in other projects so it will be interesting to see how they work together…I will be sticking around and I hope CBS will too.

10. Sivat says:

Hopefully TPTB at Charlie’s Angels will convince Drew Barrymore to appear as Dylan to boost the rating! I know I would watch if she appeared.

• Harold X says:

Since Drew Barrymore is TPTB, it’s already in her court.

Stunt casting is usually a sigh of desperation but so are weddings and babies, and I don’t see either of them taking place in this show — at least until they decide to replace an Angel.

• Sivat says:

She’s an EP but not the showrunner, so it would have to be a mutual decision. This show needs an appearance from a former Angel to establish that this series takes place in the same “world” as the original show and movies.

11. Alicia says:

Guess people just aren’t watching shows ON their TV anymore? What constitutes a “solid” number of viewers today would have been regarded as a failure a decade or even 5 years ago.

• Coop says:

It’s not that people aren’t watching television anymore, it’s that there’s a whole lot more channels available to viewers. You can’t compare ratings today to those from 5 years ago. You can only compare this year with the previous season.

• Hols says:

Both of you (Coop and Alicia) are correct and both issues are a problem for the networks. The first problem is cable and the amazing amount of channels w/ original programming. The second problem is simply that people watch shows online. The first network that figures out how to both effectively count the number of views for each show online and that figures out how to effectively advertise on the show being watched online (i.e. not show one commercial four or five times) is going to have an up on the others.

12. Nath says:

The office was sooooooooooooo awesome last night, that makes me sad see that dropped 6% :/// i’m kinda loving this show so much!!! Even thought i miss steve carell, i’m loving the dynamics between robert and andy. Also dwight, jim, pam & kevin. And made me LOL so hard the reference to nph Haha love it!

13. Van says:

I get that The Vampire Diaries is a “teen show” and on the CW but I do not get how more people aren’t watching it. Everyone I get to watch it is hooked once they watch a couple episodes. I can’t seem to get into The Secret Circle so I have been continuing to watch Grey’s.

• Alice says:

I’m actually one of those people who really wanted to like the show, but just couldn’t… and believe me I’ve tried. I just don’t see the appeal (except for Ian’s hotness)

• lacey says:

I watched the first episode for about 10 minutes and was bored. Then after hearing all season long how awesome this show was I checked out the finale online and was blown away. I’m not a teenager so I was really surprised how much I liked this show. I can’t watch it live and don’t have the time to watch it every week online, but I always read the recaps so I know what episodes are must-see.

14. Tom says:

No big surprise. I didn’t make it to the first round of commercials on How to be a Gentleman. Standard loser sitcom fare. I watched the first episode of Charlies Angels. That was enough, didn’t bother with the second episode.

15. Mel says:

Loved Community and P&R…Office seems to be improving, but slowly. I’d still give it time to re-establish its flow sans Steve Carrell. The problem with Whitney is that NBC kept stuffing promos down my throat and I had no interest in even checking it out…the promos didn’t make any sense out of context and were completely unfunny!

16. Jonathan says:

No suprises here. Would be suprised to see Whitney and Charlie’s Angels make it through the season. Bad concepts from the start. NBC is in a whole lot of trouble….maybe they should take classes from the programmers at USA.

17. Rach says:

Glad to see Community improve its number . . .even by a slim percentage! The 8 oclock hour on NBC is what I look forward to all week. . . hopefully viewership picks up cus I’ll be devastated if Community and Parks (the two smartest/funniest comedies on TV) get canceled in their prime!

• LOL says:

Amen to that. Community was off its game last night, but it’s just one episode. Parks and Recreation was on fire last night. It’s the best comedy on TV. Hope more people watch it.

• Jon says:

4th best after

MF
        HIMYM
        TBBT

• John says:

Lol, no. Everybody who knows anything about comedy knows that Parks and Rec is better than TBBT and HIMYM by a mile. It’s a dead heat between Parks and Rec and Modern Family, but I personally laugh much more during Parks and Rec.

18. Timmy Bauer says:

Sorry for Mary Lynn, but How to be a gentleman is simply not funny. And the Dillon’s character is annoying!

($#it my dad says was a lot funnier than this)

• ps says:

I agree! The critics hated that show, but I thought it was coming into its own and was getting funnier as it went on-Gentlemen? Won’t watch again and I hate Parks and Rec, so guess my 8:30 is free!

• Jess N says:

$#*! My Dad Says was way funnier than any of these new comedies by the second or third episode, and was pretty good by the end of the season. I can’t believe they canned it in favor of these new shows. The newbies are all pretty awful.

19. DL says:

I’m glad that Prime Suspect held its audience. It’s one of the few new shows this season I’ve really enjoyed, primarily due to Maria Bello’s excellent performance. Out of all the cop procedurals on TV, it’s certainly one of the better ones I’ve seen.

20. SK says:

I tried out How to be a Gentleman … it was okay. It wasn’t really that funny, and although I like the main character, he’s a little annoying. His brother-in-law with the accent, though, was pretty good. I think they need some more female characters, though. I’ll keep it on the DVR for a few more weeks.

21. Ronnie says:

Gave Charlie’s Angels another shot. Definitely better than the pilot episode. Hope it continues to improve. Really liking The Secret Circle and Prime Suspect. Person of Interest is on my DVR for weekend viewing when there is nothing on for Sat. night.

22. Gemini says:

Crap ratings for Prime Suspect, but it deserves them. This is a poorly written show that is way outdated. The original version worked with Helen Mirren because she is an awesome actress and the show was timely, with sharp writing. This feeble imitation has a mediocre actress in the lead role, an overworked premise, and lousy writing. It’s just another generic, ridiculous cop show.

BTW, Prime Suspect faced weaker competition this week than last week from the other major networks. Last week was the 2-hour premiere of Grey’s Anatomy, which did much better in total audience and 18-49 than this week’s premiere of Private Practice did. The Mentalist did not do quite as well this week as last week, but the power of the Grey’s premiere more than made up for this drop. So Prime Suspect declined against lesser major competition than it went against last week.

• RhodesChroma says:

I think it’s a pretty universal opinion that new and Americanized ‘Prime Suapect’ is not anywhere near as on point as the original, but putting Maria Bello in the mediocre category is something I disagree with. Ok- “overworked premise.” OK- Bad writing. Given those two elements – would a better “non-mediocre” actress have considerably improved this “overworked premise”. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but you can’t saddle an actor with hurdles such as you listed and expect an A outcome. I think she’s done as good a job possible given the source material…

Also ref: Gentleman vs. $h!t MY dad says – for the brutal beating $h!t took by the critics, it still was considerably better than Gentleman. $h!t certainly is not a community, parks and rec, or TBBT, but it’s better than what is there now….

• maggie says:

The American version of Prime Suspect is not as good as the original. But Maria Bello is a terrific actress who is doing what she can with the material.

23. hru says:

So is Person of Interest doing better in the CSI spot than CSI did? I think many people are waiting for Bones to return for Thursday viewing

24. LOL says:

I like the actors/characters in Whitney, but the material is pretty stale.

25. stevie says:

the average community episode is way better than big bang and modern family together.

26. Rjrtist says:

Whitney and Prime Suspect will be axed since bad writing in both is killing them. Helen Mirren didn’t wear a hat so Bello should just get rid of it. Charlies Angels will be gone as well. Sorry Drew.

27. Ron says:

Watched BBT, then Community on DVR. Caught last few minutes of “Gentlemen” and wanted to stab out my eyes. Kill it now!!

28. kevin says:

Charlie’s Angels did very well and it did recover from last week’s lackluster pilot so let’s hope ABC gives this reboot a full season order. Person of Interest and Prime Suspect also went well but it looks like CBS hit a new low on HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN. It’s by far the Eye Network’s worst new show of the season and it does have the same foray as last year’s BLEEP MY DAD SAYS. Hope CBS better cancel this awful sitcom until it won’t make it ’til Novenber sweeps.

29. M says:

Community fans you got to understand comedy and humor are subjective and so people may finds different shows funny.

30. Terry says:

I really was disappointed in How To Be A Gentleman, because I like Kevin Dillon, and he was good, but the rest of the cast was terrible. Whitney is a very funny show, that needs time to find an audience, and I am liking Prime Suspect and Person of Interest a lot also. Hopefully NBC will give Prime Suspect a chance to grow.

31. Judy says:

Love Prime Suspect as I love Community and P&R.

Kenny Johnson is in Prime Suspect, people. You know – “Lem” from The Shield? Need I say more?

32. brentbent says:

Rickety Cricket as a foppish gentleman just doesn’t work for me and really wanted to like his show because of his work on Sunny in Philly.

33. TinLV says:

I like the lead in Whitney, but the cast surrounding her isn’t doing the show any favors. Retool, or find her another show. Prime Suspect not really impressing me. I miss Detroit 187. HTBAG was just really not good. I watched Charlie’s Angels and didn’t flip the channel. I thought it was watchable, but not ‘must-see tv’.. maybe it seemed better than it is because I actually remember how bad the original was ( blasphemy to some of you, I’m sure; yes, it was a pop culture phenomenon, but it wasn’t good TV). I’m not hooked yet on any new show. I think I’ll just stick to the shows I already watch.

34. Sue says:

Been a Grey’s fan from day one. Although this year is better than last year, I am not surprised at the ratings. The show runner can do what she wants, but people didn’t want to watch her burn it all down in last season’s finale. Another Derek and Meredith breakup, Owen and Cris growing further apart and little hope for Mark and Lexie? It’s much harder to get fans to come back to a show than to keep them.