Fall TV Preview

The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Thursday

With the Fall TV season and its shiny, new wares still rolling out, we’re continuing to go daily with The TVLine-Up. (For those who must plan ahead, here is our complete Fall TV premieres calendar, plus I summarize what’s coming up the next day.) But right now, here’s what’s happening on….

8/7 Community (NBC) | Annie takes on her Asian counterpart (Greek‘s Irene Choi) in a Model United Nations assignment, while Chang cops a ‘tude as the new enforcer of campus security.

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Leonard escorts Amy to a wedding, making Sheldon feel, could it be, jealous? Elsewhere, Bernadette and Howard spend some quality time with Mrs. W.

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | A trip to the 1920s serves up big reveals, a heartbreaking Elena scene, and the birth of a warrior. TVLine’s Meg Masters saw the episode, and dishes on it here.

8 pm Charlie’s Angels (ABC) | Old Spice pitchman Isaiah Mustafa is not on a horse, nor a boat, but on this freshman drama playing Kate’s (Annie Ilonzeh) policeman ex-fiance.

8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Tammy 1 (played by Patricia Clarkson) wreaks havoc on Ron’s way of life, ultimately necessitating the involvement of Tammy 0 aka Mama Swanson (Paula Pell, 30 Rock).

8:30 pm How to Be a Gentleman (CBS) | Series premiere: David Hornsby (of It’s Always Sunny and I’m-married-to-Emily-Deschanel fame) plays Alan, a prissy, erudite writer for a posh monthly that destroys his comfort zone when it switches to being a Maxim-like lad mag. Enter Kevin Dillon (Entourage) as a lunkhead former high school pal who helps Alan learn to be a man’s man. Among the supporting cast, Mary Lynn Rajskub (24) plays Alan’s bossy sister, while Dave Foley (NewsRadio) is his editor. The pilot wasn’t terribly clever (yet was streets ahead of $#*! My Dad Says), but I have a feeling the show will do A-OK numbers in the plum apres-Big Bang slot.

Michael Emerson on Person of Interest‘s Big Flashback: Reveals Aren’t Glacial, Like on Lost

9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) | Was it just me or did that final look on Owen’s face seem as if he’s not going to be entirely OK with Cristina’s choice? (Oh that’s right, Ausiello told us he most definitely is not happy.)

9 pm The Secret Circle (The CW) | A(nother?) man from Dawn’s past arrives in town asking questions about the Circle, while Cassie spurs jealousy (meaning: exploding light bulbs?) in Adam by landing a date for the school dance.

9:30 pm Whitney (NBC) | Our second date with this freshman comedy revolves around Whit and Alex going on the proper “first date” they never had. The show did good numbers in its debut; now let’s see if the quality of the scripts/Cummings’ acting can improve.

10 pm The Mentalist (CBS) | The good news: Jane is reinstated as a CBI consultant. The bad news: He’s part of a whole new team.

10 pm Private Practice (ABC) | Tim Daly has been tweeting a lot from the set, so I will assume Pete survives the heart scare (unless Shonda pulls a Denny on us!) Elsewhere, Addison learns what she and Benjamin Bratt’s mystery man have in common.

10 pm Prime Suspect (NBC) | Did I ever mention that the name of Detective Jane Timoney’s husband is Matt Webb? That is reason alone to keep this cop drama on your radar — if you can get past, you know, her hat.

10:30 pm Archer (FX) | The conclusion of this autumnal run of episodes finds Archer and his fellow prisoners trying to escape the Pirate Fortress.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own.

1. Love this! Especially the mention of Private Practice! x

2. stevie says:

community/parks & recreation: perfect evening.

3. chris says:

Grey’s Anatomy
    Private Practice

4. Gemini says:

LOL, maybe you should change your title from “TV Worth Watching” to “What’s On Tonight.” The idea that Charlie’s Angels and Whitney deserve people’s time makes me wince hard. (And I’m sure other viewers would say the same of other shows on this list.)

The only shows on major networks that you don’t mention are X Factor and Person of Interest. Do you just not like them, did you forget to include them…?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

1) The two examples you mentioned in fact barely made the cut today, but are in a way worth watching if only to see if their subpar pilots were possibly an aberration. But to your point, from here on there will be no more free passes.

2) I have a big ol’ feature on Person of Interest posting shortly, and that alone will demonstrate its worthiness. As for multi-day reality shows, one shout-out per week (as X Factor got yesterday) is more than plenty. Move on…. ;)

5. Cindy says:

Isaiah Mustafa pitches for Old Spice, not Irish Spring.

6. Alicia says:

Grey’s and The Mentalist!

7. Nath says:

Greys, the office, Parks and Comunnity: favorite day or what???

8. Fernando says:

It’s Charlie’s Angels for me tonight and also Private Practice

9. E says:

Streets ahead… hehe

10. Rich says:

Loved the Community shout-out in the How to be a Gentleman description. #streetsahead

11. Ashley says:

My Thursday night includes “Community” and “Person of Interest”.

12. sara says:

Big Bang and Parks! so glad they are not in the same time slot!!!

13. Beth says:

Why is “Person of Interest” not on this list?

14. Sourabh says:

I am watching all of them.

15. DivineMissJay says:

Prime Suspect: definitely have to get past THAT hat! Trying to keep an open mind about the show; still have doubts about characters. Not very likeable. And really, WHO has whiskey in their desk at work anymore?

• ESLKid75 says:

You’re right, I don’t have whisky in my desk… I have vodka… Does that count? :-)

• Tania says:

What is this obsession with the hat? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I hope that this series continues, it has all the components of what makes a very good drama beginning with a talented cast headed by Maria Bello. I like the different, updated take from the classic Helen Mirren series. I look forward to seeing more.

• ultimate troll says:

No no no, the hat is like an albatross dragging the series down. It’s just so you know, it’s a her character and her hat and I can’t tell them apart!

I can’t get past the hat.

• Tania says:

Um…people STILL have whiskey or in my offices case, vodka in their desks.

• Gemini says:

The hat looks ridiculous and thus is really distracting. Could she have chosen an uglier one? I don’t like any of the characters, and I keep rum at my desk. Whiskey is passe.

16. Amy says:

thursdays are my favorite thanks to Community and Parks and Recreation

17. Amy says:

by the way nice use of “streets ahead” ;)

18. Michael Sacal says:

“9 pm The Office (NBC) | Robert California charges the staff with doubling their sales. Yeah, because people use so much paper anymore, what with email, PDFs, CB Radio and all.”

Comics are still made out of paper. I’d love to see that on the show. Have them make a deal with a comic book printer.

19. AT says:

I’ll be watching TVD and Secret Circle. Call me a nostalgic L.J. Smith fan. :)

20. Richard says:

I’ve got “Project Runway” ready to record. Fortunately, DirecTV has the East Coast feed of the show, so it starts at 6 p.m. for me and doesn’t interfere with the broadcast channels.

21. Maka says:

Prime Suspect for sure. Although what’s with people being so shallow with the hat?

• Louise says:

You said it! I loved the premier last week and will keep watching. And in response to an earlier comment: the American version of this character is a lot more likeable than the British version played by Helen Mirren.

22. ruby says:

I am excited for TVD and Community. but Community for the most part :)

23. kevin says:

Hope the Old Spice guy saves CHARLIE’S ANGELS this season as well as Erica Durance. Hope CBS better dumped How to Be a Gentleman this season before its debut ’cause this one poorly awful and the same foray as last year’s BLEEP MY DAD SAYS even worse but a lot worse than WHITNEY on the same night. Also still tuning for PERSON OF INTEREST and PRIME SUSPECT before I can skip the Maria Bello-led series to watch next week’s MENTALIST.

24. Community and The Office. That means probably watching Parks and Recreation (which I normally watch, but it isn’t a must see for me).

I have never seen a show promoted in such a way that I wanted to be able to block it as I have with How to be a Gentlemen. That just looks like all kinds of awful.

25. annabelle says:

I won’t be home tonight so I will have to catch Community and TVD online. The Big Bang Theory was such a great show and now it’s being turned into Friends. Nothing else on the Thursday NBC lineup appeals to me and it saddens me that Thursday’s comedy block is no longer Must See TV.

26. XK says:

Community and P&R for sure, plus probably the Office.

I thought the Mentalist season premiere last week was awful…. I may give it another week and see if, assuming they can get back to mystery or the week episodes instead of the always bad mythology eps, it gets better.

I also thought Whitney’s series premiere was awful, but I kind of expected that. Never added it to my season pass, so I never had to remove it.

I didn’t make it past the first 20 minutes of Charlie’s Angels, which is a pity. I’m not sure whether the writing or casting was worse… but it was all pretty bad.

It’s odd having so little to watch all of a sudden. This has been a bad year for new tv.

27. XK says:

(Somehow missed Prime Suspect in the list)

I’ll be watching that as well, though this its final chance to win me over. I thought it was too unrelentingly bleak last week, the office sexism was too cartoonish, and the actual case was not particularly interesting. I like Maria Bello, but she only gets one more episode to wow me. :)

28. Shiloh says:

“Mentalist” is the one show’s second episode that I was really looking forward to this week. Want to see how Jane manages to get the team back together. Of course “The Big Bang Theory” is on my list. That and “Person of Interest” are the only other two I’m planning on watching tonight. :) As always, thanks, Matt.

29. V says:

Kenny Johnson (Matt Webb) is the only reason to watch Prime Suspect.

30. Martin says:

Totally agree about the hat, is it weird that that turned me off watching the show??.

31. Any new person doesn’t seem to last long long in the secret circle. First it was Cassies Mum, then it was Dawn’s father in law and then Sally the Class President bit the dust but then was brought back to life. Guests on this show don;t seem to last long.