The X Factor Night 4: Who Was the Best Act?

Say what you want about the first three audition episodes of The X Factor‘s inaugural season, but Thursday night’s fourth and final installment certainly didn’t skimp on good auditions. By my count, we saw a total of 14 acts score trips to the Boot Camp round after performing at least 10 seconds of music. Would I have said “No” to “arrogant, obnoxious, argumentative” Brian Bradley, blond-haired Bieber wannabe Nick Dean, and underwhelming boy band Stereo Hogzz? Yeah, maybe. And would it have been nice if Simon Cowell & Co. spared us the extended 43-year-old virgin bit and the dude with the hula hoop? Absolutely. But I can’t complain too, too bitterly about the talent-to-trash ratio of an episode that brought us potential winners in the saucy auto mechanic, the quirky gal who sang “You Are My Sunshine,” the male model with a decent original track, or the insecure high-school student who blossomed into a powerhouse diva once the music began to play.

I’ll post my full episode recap early Friday morning right here at, but until then, take our poll and tell us who gave your favorite audition, then hit the comments with your thoughts and feelings on X Factor. And for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Danielle Notaro says:

Oh wow! I forgot about Tora. She was really good and fun too because I was captivated by Jazzlyn. This is going to be a tough tough competition.

2. beawashere says:

3. Jeremy says:

Here is Jazzlyn Little’s video she was talking about:

4. Ben says:

I hate to say it Slezak, but even if you get your list of songs banned from idol, they are going to terrorize you on x factor. Count on it.

5. (!) says:

Am I the only one that can’t stand the audience and their “reactions?” It’s honestly one of the most annoying parts of the show next to the overproduction

6. Ella says:

“Thursday night’s fourth and final installment certainly didn’t skimp on good auditions” Huh? Did we watch the same show? I mean I turned to some movie on a Life TV after all those horrible out of tune hula hoops numbers and didn’t watch the 2nd hour. There actually was something watchable? Ok, too bad (for Simon and Co. as I really don’t care). I think this is a total fiasco – look how “many” comments here and on other sites about this stupidity. NOBODY CARES. I mean I love you Slezak, but X factor is just unwatchable.

7. @chekeshaj says:

Stereo Hogzz where the best!!

8. Isabelle says:

I’m a big fan of the show, I’ve enjoyed every episode and yup tonight was the best, lots of great ones to pick from. Brennin Hunt was my favorite, I love a good raspy voice and yeah I’ll admit he was hot. My second favorite was Torin.

9. Tim says:

Paige, the girl who sang the Gaga song impeccably, should be in this poll as well.

10. Charlie says:

Either Drew, who sang Alone, or Kelly Warner, who sang five seconds of ‘Hallelujah’. That points to another problem right now — I have to endure ten minutes of the 43-year-old man creepily talking about girls, but a lot of good singers get maybe three notes out before they stop.

All I have to say is that next week, Boot Camp better blow me out of the water. After eight hours of American Idol auditions (at least, last year in Season 10) I would see at least ten people who I thought had a legitimate shot at winning. Here, there are maybe five. Maybe. And no matter the season of American Idol, their Hollywood week always delivers solid singing. X Factor better deliver.

11. Margot says:

Was never much of an Idol fan. Tried the first 2 hour of x and was sooo disappointed. It was painful and a waste of one hour and fifty minutes! But thanx to you I don’t have to watch. I just read your reviews and watch the videos of your top picks . Despite
    the multitude of stupid and disturbing auditions there are really a lot of very talented charismatic and exciting Will give it another try after boot camp. Thank you

12. Christina says:

Happy the auditions are over after 4 episodes because they were tedious. Thanks heavens for DVR. I was able to watch 120 minutes of programming in 75 minutes by fast forwarding through the trainwreck auditions. Now lets move on to bootcamp and get this show moving.

13. Jaded says:

I really loved the mechanic girl! Her voice was fantastic. Am I the only one that thought the male model was so arrogant that it took away from his decent voice? I thought he came off as a real ass. And his original song was totally forgettable.

14. Kim R says:

I really thought the young boy and girl (I think their group was called Awesome?) should have been split up. The girl was not a very good singer but the young man was talented. Just an observation. :)On another note, I happen to like the judges panel. All 4 of them. Am I the only one?

15. blingedup.susan says:

I totally enjoyed last night’s show. I must just be easy. :)

16. Gemini says:

The bad auditions are the most fun!

I didn’t think Austin from Ausem was that good a singer. His voice was kind of weird. Emily had a pretty voice but not brilliant. So I wouldn’t have sent either one through.

17. dan says:

Jazzlyn Little was fantastic. I’m going to start watching XFactor again.

18. fay says:

Tora is my favorite. jazzlyn can sing but i thought that she was pretending to be shy so i was turned off by her.

19. Dominique says:

You guys don’t know how scared I was when I saw 2night show . I thought they was going 2 kick Chris & Stacey off but thank god cuz that would’ ve been a BIG MISTAKE EVER!!!!! aw & Rachel Crow blew it 2day. Just want 2 say I’m rooting 4 u guys & gals!

20. Daisy says:

Thanks for the forum to vent and share. I am a little off topic here, but I am wondering if you all see what I do?

I think the concept is great, and I have no doubt Simon is incredibly gifted when it comes to conceptualizing shows… but someone dropped the ball on this one.

While I understand the basic premise and goals, I have no clue what the vision of the overall show is.

It’s like they put all the money into shooting a bunch of nice looking footage with zero vision. Maybe they thought they’d figure it out in edit but they never did?
    It’s a weird mishmash montage with really cliche’d music laid underneath between the actual performances, which interferes with in-scene dialogue and insults the viewer with the godawful over-the-topness of it all.

They stop on an occasional performance with no apparent reason, and then give a little verite from the judges where you have no idea what they are talking about.

Whose vision is this? I wish they would figure out an arc or get some freakin’ story producers in there on the back end instead of relying on some ridiculous 90’s sad song to take you through a scene where you have no clue who half the people are.

Does anyone else think this score of recognizable 80’s/90’s songs between performances, laid wall-to-wall under the scenes, is distracting and cheesy as hell?? To me, it has the complete opposite affect of what I think the producers are aiming for.

I’m bummed because I think this could be a really good series if someone there had an actual vision for what it is.

21. Lily says:

and you are a jerk. Congratulations.