Survivor: South Pacific: Is It Time for Coach to Shake Up His Alliance?

Get More: Polls, Reality TV, Recaps

This week’s Survivor: South Pacific found Little Russell (aka Brandon Hantz) once again proving himself as trustworthy as a campaign promise the day after the polls close. Look, regardless of whether or not you think the guy’s war against perfectly innocent Mikayla — or “the whore of Babylon,” as Sophie kiddingly tried to sum up Brandon’s feelings about the lithe young lady — there’s no denying his actions are putting his alliance at risk.

When Mikayla — quite reasonably — tried to find out what she’d done to incur Brandon’s wrath, he brought her out in front of the entire tribe, told her she didn’t have “much of an alliance,” and insisted everyone keep him “out of the drama.” (And this was shortly after he called a “family meeting” to out himself as Russell’s cousin.) In just a week of Survivor play, the dude has proven himself a big ole drama queen, shown that he’s unable to keep his emotions in check for the sake of strategy, and regularly gone back on his word — without so much as a warning to his alliance-mates. (Remember how he told Coach that the Hantz Family secret was just between the two of ‘em?)

If I was in Coach’s shoes, I’d be encouraging my cohorts to cast Brandon out of the alliance of five and replace him with either Mikayla (a strong force in challenges, and seemingly sane) or Edna (a proven “pal” of Coach’s, and also seemingly sane). Then again, on the pro-Brandon side, he’s the perfect person to take to the finale, no?

p.s. If you missed the episode, the week’s main developments were Christine toppling Semhar in the Redemption Island duel (and Semhar dropping some unintentionally hilarious beat poetry beforehand); Dawn passing super-hot Albert in a leg of the Immunity Challenge; Upolu pulling out the win thanks to Coach’s grappling-hook skills; and Savaii voting off Papa Bear in a predictable Tribal Council.

Take our poll below and weigh in on whether Coach needs to spearhead an alliance shakeup, then explain your thinking down in the comments! (Slezak on Twitter: @MichaelSlezakTV)

Comments (25)

• OK I’m sorry…look at Albert’s BULGE in that picture. Yumyumyum.

Comment by elives – September 29, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks. I thought I was the only one who would comment on that! I hadn’t noticed what a rockin’ smokin’ hot body that guy has! Come on editors! More full shots of Albert already. I didn’t even remember his name until this pic!

Comment by buffy522 – September 29, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree — more full shorts of Albert, please. Oops, now I see you wrote more full “SHOTS” (blushing). What was I thinking?

Comment by Claire – September 29, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! That is one tasty picture!

Comment by Jaded – September 29, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why Coach and the others wouldn’t want Mikayla on their team? Right now if they told her we will get rid of Brandon if you join us she would do it in a second. She’s a strong competitor, will fight for them, and will stay loyal. If they enter the merge and she’s still around and they don’t get her in their alliance she will defect to the other side. Brandon is a loose cannon. As Mikayla said for a guy who keeps saying he doesn’t want to lie, he can’t help but keep doing it. Brandon is good TV but a bad Survivor player. Coach should mix it up and get rid of him and keep Mikayla.

Comment by Stacie – September 29, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE vote out Brandon before the merge and have him fail at Redemption Island! He is sickening! The boy is depraved and needs to GO!!!!!!!

Comment by Sivat – September 29, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Err the poll choices… I didn’t know Brendon was a ‘she’ ; should be ‘replace him’ instead, no?

Comment by Jerri – September 29, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good catch and still not fixed! :b

Comment by ultimate troll – September 29, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just opened the article because of the picture. Hot!

Comment by Jess!Happy Endings – September 29, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …And that’s exactly why that picture was chosen…most likely by Slezak himself…and ummm….thanks!

Comment by brodincy – September 29, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I legit had no clue who Stacy was.
    I wish you could combine Edna’s social game and Mikayla’s athleticism somehow.
    I’ll be shocked if Brandon doesn’t get the boot soon.

Comment by Taylor – September 29, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man ozzy telling keith about the idol,my opinion very dumb move only known this gut five days..truthfully cochran is worthless between him and brandon don’t know which o dislike the most…yes albert nice very nice..I’m team coach love the coachman..do believe that there gonna try and get ozzy,cause two people know about idol so far..I’m not a ozzy fan but the guy is a great player would like to see him make it to the merge..papabear running last night cracked me laughed so hard if only papa moved like that in competion..still wish cochran..aka..geek..would left instead..I see him stirring trouble for ozzy..

Comment by lilly – September 29, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree stacie..they should brandon is a. Nut job..if Shannon was such a good person then why lie so good..and then try to sweeten it..true little russell..

Comment by lilly – September 29, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep the guy. He’s decent in challenges, other people don’t like him, he’s perfect.

Comment by DanOregon – September 29, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Random Thoughts:

- Semhar gave her sweater to Christine and told her that she loved her. The previous night, they were asking each other’s name, and now Semhar “loves” her…after just a few hours together, most of which were likely spent sleeping? I predict a poem will be written at some point in the future about how her “best friend in the world” let her leave the South Pacific while she stayed behind selfishly.

- At the Immunity Challenge, Probst said, “Coach has been phenomenal with the grappling hook.” I’m thinking that was probably the first time that has ever been said, but I bet if you asked Coach, his response would start with, “Well, actually…there was this ONE time…

After you’re done here at TVLine, I hope you’ll check out the rest of my recap at http://sfurfaro.blogspot.com/2011/09/survivor-south-pacific-recap-maybe-hes.html or you can just click my name.

Comment by Sean – September 29, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, no one go to this web site. Do not encourage bloggers’ self-promotion on others’ blogs. Not cool.

Comment by Jean – October 2, 2011 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brandon is in recovery and that more then anything is the source of his crazy behavior. But Coach should keep Brandon, the reason being that he is a great distraction that helps keep Coach off the radar. I see little reason to get rid of Brandon since he has no social game , yea just like his uncle and is all about trying to force his will on others.

Comment by Joseph – September 29, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brandon is a Bible-addled horndawg…when has he talked about being in recovery? and if so how toxic is he and how long has he been clean?

Comment by seattlejohn – September 29, 2011 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Burnett is ruining Survivor by trying to turn it into a religious propaganda hour! I have really enjoyed Survivor in the past. Now, not so much! :(

Comment by Gabriel – September 30, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brandon needs to. Leave the boy is getting way to much air time would like to get to. Know other players..this is the brandon show and its getting very boringn.little russell must get stepping.

Comment by red – September 30, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After survivor brandon will probobly be joining celebrity rehab with dr.drew..like sugar did..the boys 19 married I know that’s young,but I believe that brandon seen boobs in commercials..really think brandon afraid mikayla will beat him and that’s why the cook is acting weird.what’s gonna happen when and if goes red..island and a girls there cry.

Comment by red – September 30, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keeping Brandon would be like holding a stick of dynamite, the boy is wacko, I do not believe for one second he is a goody goody guy, believe he’s trying to try and play like Matt,well no way could he even compare to Matt.last season Russell said in a perfect world he would vote for Matt, if he was not playing I believe that Brandon got a thing for Mikayla and she’s not gave him a second look. when he made her cry I would of liked to punch his face. what a jerk,Best thing for everyone is for Brandon to go and then maybe we can focus on the other players Ilove survivor but this Brandon thing is geeting old..want to see some game play not Brandon being an Ass..

Comment by rYDER – October 1, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What was missed in the last episode, Lil Hantz performed very well during the immunity challenge. Where the other let the rope restrained them, Brandon pulled along. Granted he’s a wild card, but for the strength of the tribe he needs to stay until his wackiness is too much, much the same for Mickayla. I truly am both loyal to Coach’s tribe, I think him & Edna are the perfect mature “Survivor Couple”.

Comment by tommyboyardee – October 2, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, I don’t care about Coach’s alliance, so much, but Brandon needs to go *RIGHT NOW*. If I were on his tribe, I’d seriously think about throwing a challenge just to get rid of him (even though I normally hate that strategy). I don’t care how good he is in challenges: His combination of “don’t let me be tempted by sluts” misogyny, obsessive religious inner conflict, and bizarrely camouflaged arrogance is purely toxic, not only to his tribe-mates but to us long-suffering viewers. Dude should be working out his struggle between good and evil on Redemption Island… or better yet, in a psychologist’s office. When you make Coach look sane and reasonable by comparison, that should be a major red flag.

In addition, I agree with the commenters who’ve called out the generally increased religiosity of the show over the last couple seasons: I want Survivor, not Jesusfest: South Pacific!

Also, that was SLAM poetry, not BEAT. Allen Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti must be spinning in their graves. ;^)

Comment by Bill Dauphin – October 3, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, Brandon needs to go now! He’s has some very deep emotional issues! He’s exactly the kind of guy that you see profiled on cop shows, he has this weird disturbing obsession with Mikayla who has done absolutely nothing to him. Even when she confronted him with why he doesn’t like her, the little weasel still lies to her and won’t even tell her the real reason he doesn’t like her, which is that it’s not that he doesn’t like her, it’s that he is fixated on her exactly because he DOES like her, but in a sick, twisted sexually obsessive way because he lusts after her so much and he’s not mentally stable enough to deal with it. Little freak!!!! ……..Those Hantz’s are one strange family! I can only imagine the skeleton’s in their closet!

Comment by Rick Tuthill – October 4, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post