Ratings: Modern Family Again Tops Wednesday, Suburgatory Opens Strong, CSI Bests Revenge

In the second big Wednesday of the Fall TV season, ABC’s Modern Family dipped 8 percent but still repeated as champ, topping all comers in total viewers (with 13.2 million) and in the coveted 18-49 demo rating (scoring a 5.6).

That performance set the stage for Happy Endings to return to 7.4 million viewers and a 3.2 rating, which are both series highs yet down a hair from what Cougar Town did here a year ago.

Alas, ABC’s depressed 9:30 performance (versus last week’s hour-long Modern Family) led Revenge (8.6 mil/2.7) to slip 18 percent and this go-round trail CSI (11.6 mil/3.0) in the demo.

The X Factor Recap: The Uncertainty of No-ing

Elsewhere this Wednesday:

8 pm | Fox’s X Factor averaged 11.5 million viewers and a 3.9 rating across its two-hour run, dipping 7 percent week-to-week. Survivor held steady at 10.5 mil/3.1, followed by ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (8.6 mil/2.6, down double digits from premiere) and the brand-new Suburgatory (which at 9.8 mil/3.3 was up 23 and 32 percent from Better With You‘s year-ago debut). In fact, ABC notes that Suburgatory gave the network its most-watched comedy telecast in the Wednesdays-at-8:30 slot since November 2003.

NBC’s Up All Night (5.34 mil/2.1) was down 12 percent in Week 3, while lead-out Free Agents (3.1 mil/1.0!) plunged 23 percent. The CW’s H8R (1.43 mil/0.6) drew its (faint praise alert!) biggest audience to date.

9 pm | Trailing Modern Family in the first half-hour, Criminal Minds (12.6 million total viewers and a 3.6 demo rating) was down 12 percent from its opener. Behind X Factor‘s second half, Harry’s Law held steady at 7.44 mil/1.2. America’s Next Top Model (1.7 mil/0.8) saw sliiiight gains.

10 pm | CSI led the hour with 11.6 million viewers and a 3.0 rating, down just a bit from Mr. Danson’s debut. Trailing Revenge, SVU (7.14 mil/2.0) dropped 17 percent in the demo.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Martina says:

Aww was hoping Revenge would do better, am really enjoying this series and am hoping for a full season pick up. I can’t wait for Queen Victoria to get hers

• Fangirl says:

Totally agree! It’s turning out to be a fantastic show!

• KevyB says:

It’s a close second, which isn’t bad. Happy Endings should be scared. It can’t survive long losing nearly half of Modern Family’s audience. If Suburgatory holds up, it could replace Happy Endings, or move to 8 and The Middle could go there.

• LeAnn says:

Me too! Definitely one of our favorite new shows in the house along with Suburgatory and Person of Interest!

2. D'Arcy says:

Really wish viewers would tune in to Happy Endings :(

3. Harry says:

Can things get any worse for NBC. Nothing seems to be working and I wonder if Bob Greenblatt doesn’t regret moving from Showtime to lame NBC.

4. Chmarin says:

So happy for Suburgatory! :) Although I wish Happy Endings did better. I frickin’ LOVE that show.

Matt, what do you think? How many hours before NBC cancels Agents? :D

5. JJ says:

The X-Factor has gotta be the biggest disappointment of the season. For FOX it’s a big win overall in terms of their fall ratings/18-49 demo but for a show that’s been hyped and set to be a “failure” (by Simon Cowell) if it got less than 20 million viewers you can’t tell me that FOX and Cowell aren’t scratching their heads wondering what it’s not closer to Idol numbers.

IMHO they’re focusing WAAAAAY too much on the bad/not even funny bad auditions in these first few shows and the “talent” they’re putting through is decent with a few standouts. I think the ratings will go up once people see it’s actually not America’s Idols Got Talent and it does actually differ from Idol but long term it needs tweaking. First and foremost the judging panel lacks an x-factor. Paula and Simon together are fine nostalgia but also annoying. LA Reid shows promise of being honest/direct but then there’s the artificial and annoying Nicole Sherzinger. It’s obvious why Simon didn’t initially hire her for this job but to see the charming likable and genuine Cheryl Cole on the panel tells me, and other viewers, that Simon fired the one x-factor he had. Less bad audition clips, bring back Cheryl, stop focusing on the tired Simon vs Paula bickering.

And lastly…Modern Family…SOOOOOOOO glad to see an intelligent hilarious show like this be a hit with viewers and see networks realize the sitcom still is a viable ratings getter. ABC has a stellar Wed. line-up and I can’t wait for Cougar Town (PLEASE re-name it!) to return.

• kt says:

I think a lot of what’s happening with the X Factor ratings is that the initial auditions are things we’ve all seen before on Idol or AGT. Where X-Factor distinguishes itself is in the bootcamp round, judges houses, and live shows with bigger performances. As a viewer of the UK version, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the live rounds to start here! So I’m thinking once X-Factor comes into it’s own more and people start to understand what it’s all about, the ratings should go up from there.

• David says:

I’m really liking The X-Factor. But I agree about Nicole Scherzinger. This gig is not right for her. Simon needs to bring back Cheryl Cole. She charmed me right from the start. Nicole just comes off like she is auditioning for the part of a judge…and not in a way that will land her the job!

• Sally in Chicago says:

Here’s the danger: Next year American Idol’s ratings are effected by XF ratings. Too many singing contests back to back. Fox is probably not happy that right after XF there will be AI and if the ratings are not as usual, then FOX made a grave mistake putting XF before AI.

• lacey says:

Searching for something to watch at 8 I decided to give x factor a few minutes. I loved seeing Paula and Simon together again. Reid reminded me of Randy’s early years on Idol which was before Randy became horrible. And Nicole just seemed to be there. As for the talent it just seemed like any other talent competition, nothing special.

6. Kathy says:

I’m really liking Revenge. I think it’s one of the better shows to premiere this season. Hope it sticks around. I really wanted to see what leds up to what happened at the engagement party. I use to like CSI, but it’s getting to be a tired show and I don’t think even Ted Danson can save it.

7. Kay says:

I really like revenge too. Definitely one of the top premiers this fall season. I hope that it stabilizes.

8. Lisa says:

I have never watched Happy Endings and don’t plan to in the future.

9. ggny says:

really hope Suburgatory and Happy Endings can keep them ratings

10. Paco says:

Happy Endings was ON FIRE last night. Hilarious from beginning to end.

“Talking tees with my Bs, who are G cuz they like D” – Priceless

• J. Norman says:

I have to disagree. I didn’t find last nights episode particularly good. Not terrible, but not really that good.
      That is a problem with this show. There is a wide disparity between the qualitiy of individual shows. Sure, I imagine that can be said of many shows, but HE really takes rollar coaster rides with respect to the quality of each episode.
      I’ll be watching it for a while, but, to be honest, would prefer Cougar Town over HE.

• DTHor says:

Much like Cougar Town, Happy Endings is too aware of how funny it thinks it is. I like the cast, but they need to settle down. I don’t mind all shows that put the funny over real storytelling, but there are getting to be too many of them.

• sam says:

that’s why i love them! they know how funny they are, and they respect their die hard fans! repeat lines like “ah-mah-zing” and recurring jokes (ie: big carl) are what have made cougar town and even happy endings special, imo. i think the story and the humanity is still there, just in a less schmaltzy way. i love me some modern family, but sometimes it waxes it on a tad too hard. that is why i prefer cougar town, which can go soapy and zany, but doesn’t feel the need to pull together the episode in a saccharine way every week to appeal to a wider demographic.

11. qeee says:

Didnt think i was gonna enjoy “Suburgatory” but i did. “Modern Family” & “Happy Endings” were amazingly funny. “Revenge” is soapy goodness.

12. João Amaral says:

Happy Endings was AH-MAH-ZING!!!

• ChrisGa says:

HaHaHa! While I didn’t think this ep was the best of the series–and I agree, it is wildly inconsistent in quality–I can’t turn away from the combined comedic genius of Casey Wilson and Eliza Coupe.

13. Grey says:

They ideally need to move Modern Family to 8:30pm and put Cougar Town at 9 and Happy Endings at 9:30. Cancel Suburgatory or move it elsewhere.

Cougar Town and Happy Endings work SO well together. I really wish more people gave those shows a chance

• J. Norman says:

If Modern Family is ever moved it will be to 8:00, never to 8:30.
      It is a lead off the hour show similar to 2.5 men, The Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother.
      I wish they would put it at 8:00 and then move The Middle (a natural fit with MF) to 8:30. That would be a powerful hour for ABC. The Middle is not truly a lead off the hour show.
      But. . .that’s ABC’s problem. HE and Cougar Town are both 9;30 shows. Neither is strong enough in either popularity or content to lead the 9:00 hour. .. so they have to keep MF there.

• Lena120 says:

I love both Cougar Town and Happy Endings. I don’t see why they had to pull in a new show to fill a slot when they already had one waiting in the wings. It makes no sense to me. I don’t want to wait until January for my Cul-de-sac crew!

14. Eliza says:

I actually smiled upon reading that the Happy Endings premiere didn’t do better than Cougar Town.
    Sorry, but I’d rather watch CT; horrible name and all.

15. Marie says:

I wish NBC would move Up All Night to Thursdays with Community, Parks & Rec, The Office and 30 Rock. Whitney can partner up with Free Agents on Wednesdays.

16. kevin says:

Missed out on last week’s Modern Family hour long opener but last night was AWESOME so did HAPPY ENDINGS. Reality shows continue to be old school instead of new school but for both X FACTOR and SURVIVOR still the same old same old. X Factor auditions are much different than IDOL ’cause it continue to be a freak show. Also I hope NBC cancel FREE AGENTS as well as PLAYBOY CLUB ’cause the respectful ratings still plummeted and CSI still isn’t the same without Bill Petersen nor Laurence Fishburne around now that Ted Danson is still a poor choice over the two lead actors.

17. Nadine says:

I gave Suburgatory a C, because I found the editing shoppy and some of the writing sexist, BUT I do think the premise is fun. I like the actors and the show has potential.

18. Ella says:

I am loving Revenge…..and because SVU was preempted in my market, I didn’t get to watch it. But those are my Wednesday night viewings

19. andrew rogers (@sublymonal) says:

Saw suburgatory and loved it. Love Revenge too, especially Emily Van Camp.

20. Elle says:

I watched ABC all night!Revenge is really getting juicy so I hope the ratings go up as I really want to see a full season for this show best ABC soap since Desperate Housewives!Happy Endings was so funny I love that it got a second chance and is proving itself.Suburgatory was a fun little show I’ll give it another viewing to really make my mind up as comedy pilots are never that great.

21. lacey says:

I watched Suburgatory and while I didn’t think it was great I think it has potential. I might continue to watch it but mostly for Dallas who is hillarious. My ideal Wednesday would be no Suburgatory and no Happy Endings, but an hour of Modern Family and Cougar Town each. I also love Revenge so that would just keep me glued to abc for 3 hours, which never occurs.

22. MJ says:

I really want Revenge to stay around. It is becoming my fav new show this fall so far. Please everyone watch it!!!!

23. Sara says:

THIS! I didn’t know anything about surburgatory because i wasn’t planning on watching or liking it! but i saw it and loved it!! (didn’t even know alan tudyk was in it so yay! bonus!) I honestly think it’s the best new comedy i’ve seen so far this season. Much better than 2 broke girls, new girl, and the 2 soon-to-be cancelled series on nbc.
    loving revenge! my wednesday is completely abc-filled, which never happens!!!

24. Rachel says:

“Suburgatory” is fricken hard to spell and pronounce (I have a PhD believe it or not) but so far I like it. Reminded me a wee bit of Desperate Housewives before Edie’s demise and Ugly Betty, for some reason. Will definitely watch next week.

25. Jennifer says:

Wish they would move Suburgatory to sometime after 9pm. Kids are still up at 8:30 and the content from the pilot, while funny for adults, was not suitable to family viewing with younger tweens. We won’t watch it again if it stays at 8:30.

26. bhm1304 says:

Fingers are crossed for “Revenge”. It has been one of the best new shows of the season. Great story in the soapiest sense of the word, good actors, and Madeline Stowe proving that life doesn’t end for actresses over 50 – she has been fantastic and looks gorgeous. Emily van Camp found a great starring vehicle and I hope this show gets picked up despite the fact that ABC put it in its counting the weeks until cancellation spot of Wednesdays at 10. Sarah Michelle Gellar should have found a role like Emily/Amanda instead of the boring role(s) she is playing on “Ringer”. Been a fan of Ashley Madekwe since she played “Bambi” on “Secret Diary of a Call Girl” and also anxious to check her out in BBC’s “Bedlam” which premieres on BBCAmerica this weekend.

Hoping “Revenge” finds an audience and avoids the axe.

• Jessica says:

this this this! Revenge is so amazing..only show that i cant wait to watch every week and im seriously drawn in the entire hour..and it takes a lot to grab my attention for that long lol

• ChrisGa says:

Totally agree, “Revenge” has been a nice surprise and Madeleine Stowe is indeed not only still gorgeous but reminding everyone what a phenomenal actress she is.

27. shaun says:

I think Happy Endings and Revenge are actually getting better.I thought revenge might drag the story out,but so far the pace is good.They’ll have to pull back soon and that might kill it.

28. Spencer says:

Revenge is my new obsession!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! I tried to watch Happy Endings, but sadly the volume was completly out during it!

29. pinch diddy says:

i think the problem with xfactor is talent show overkill… american idol is more than just a show at this point it`s a brand… & i think a lot of people underestimate the power of ryan seacrest holding the show down this long

30. JJ says:

I just want Cougar Town back! I tried to watch the ABC Wednesday lineup yesterday, but I felt like I was cheating on Cougar Town, so I turned it off.

31. intelliwoman says:

Wednesday this season is the best night of TV HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NETWORKS except for Criminal Minds, almost everything on there is lightweight crap. TRY BBC AMERICA’S DRAMAVILLE, ESPECIALLY IDRIS ELBA AS LUTHER, AND YOU’LL SEE SOME GREAT STUFF. For those who might not be aware, he won an Emmy for this last year.

32. CTfan says:

ABC – Please bring back Cougar Town, it is better than any of the new shows by far!!!!!!

33. bob says:

suburgatory was kind of awful. it was competent and not heinously terrible, but it certainly wasn’t funny. what annoyed me the most was how hard it missed the new york suburbs. i was raised in southern westchester where this series appears to take place, and there is almost nowhere like where this show depicted. if anything that was stereotypical of southern california. southern new york is filled with preppy wasps if anything. so if you’re going to go for broad hilarity, at least get the offensive bits right, mmmkay?? can cougar town come back?????

34. Paul says:

I’m glad Harry’s Law changed some of the key actors this season. It has really helped the tone & feel of the show. I now look forward to it rather than just watching if nothing else is on…