Fall TV Preview

Private Practice Season 5 Delivers Much Baby Drama, 'New' Faces and… Ghost Pete?

The doctors are back in when ABC’s Private Practice premieres its fifth season this Thursday at 10/9c. When last we checked in with Addison, Sam et al, Oceanside Wellness had dissolved itself in the wake of the medical board’s investigation into how privately (or not) they practice their medicine. That left Violet to embark on a book tour, relapsed Amelia deprived of her surgical privileges, and Ad set to flit off to Fiji with a mystery man.

Yet Addison didn’t flee. Instead, she returned to the office to announce her resolve to rebuild the practice anew, then she landed back in bed with Sam, where they tried to strike a balance over the differing wants. Pete meanwhile was blindsided by a heart attack, with only little Lucas to watch him flail on the living room floor. What’s next for the team? Here’s what we know.

BROKEN HEART(S) | Will someone (perhaps Cooper, above) arrive at Pete’s side in time to save his life? “We know that Shonda likes to use ghosts,” Taye Diggs allows, “so the ghost of Pete could come back.” While y’all have flashbacks to Denny Duquette, we’ll check in with Amy Brenneman on how the aftermath hits Violet. “It’s a big come-to-Jesus moment,” she says. “Violet is more fully committed than she’s ever been, but the shadow of mortality is making Pete be really honest and let out feelings that he hasn’t let out before, and there is a lot of anger.” Does he blame Violet? (Does she blame herself?) “Cooper and Sam say, ‘You didn’t cause it,’ but I do [feel guilt],’” says Brenneman. Adding salt to the wound: Vi doesn’t get wind of Pete’s scare “until he’s deep in the operating room and it looks like hes going to die.” All told, the Pete story “throws you right back into Private Practice in a really jam-packed way,” says KaDee Strickland, whose Charlotte makes it a point to be there for he who was there for her last winter. “And I mean that in a good way.”

Private Practice Drama: Will a ‘Bomb’ Drop on Happy-at-Last Charlotte and Cooper?

SO MUCH BABY DRAMA | As reiterated in the May finale, “Addison wants to have a baby and Sam doesn’t, but they’re going to try to have a relationship despite that fact,” says Kate Walsh. Being at such odds, with neither party yielding ground, “definitely creates conflict and strife,” says Walsh, “but we’re going to go for it.” (Asked how the duo rekindled their flame so suddenly, Diggs offers: “They have a love and passion that is undeniable. When something feels so good in the moment and in the near future… they fell into that pattern.”) Meanwhile, AddiSam is not the only couple tested by a family planning dilemma. “Cooper has been thinking about babies since he was a baby,” Strickland notes, “and Charlotte is very reticent, so I don’t think you’ve heard the last on that subject. I might have to practice a waddle, who knows? Only [series boss] Shonda [Rhimes] knows — and that’s the truth.”

True Blood Hunk Bites Into Private Practice Role

DOCTORS, HEAL THYSELF | Speaking of Violet, she’s been forced out of her profession, so “she’s figuring out who she is if she’s not working,” says Brenneman. “Shonda and I are both working mothers, and while we kind of go nuts without our work, we also go nuts if we get disconnected from our kids,. This is a big deal.” Not helping with the transition is Sheldon, who takes over Vi’s case load. “We don’t have the same opinions, but there’s nothing Violet can do,” Brenneman shrugs, “and that’s sad.” Worst case scenario: “Violet should become a crack whore for a while,” her portrayer quips. “I’m looking for my Emmy!” Similarly, Amelia is fated for “a downward spiral” in the wake of falling off the wagon and in turn losing her privileges at St. Ambrose. But Charlotte hasn’t abandoned her peer completely. “Amelia was such a fundamental part of Charlotte’s recovery, so naturally Charlotte has great concern and affection for her,” says Strickland. “So we’ll see what Amelia does — and that is all I’m tellin’ you!”

NEW GIRL (AND GUY) | As previously reported (and well teased), A.J. Langer (My So-Called Life, Eyes) is on board for a multi-episode arc as a woman from someone’s past. All eyes point to Cooper, but all Paul Adelstein will say is, “I do have scenes with her.” Benjamin Bratt meanwhile officially joins the cast when it’s revealed that Ad’s mystery man is Dr. Jake Riley, an IVF specialist who used to work out of St. Ambrose “but now is looking for a position somewhere else,” says the actor. Jake reentering Addison’s orbit creates “an obvious conflict,” Bratt says, “not just emotionally for her, but logistically… because her boyfriend knows nothing about this guy she had a coffee date with.” Is Jake sour that Ad flaked out on their getaway? Nah. “If I were a single man over 40 and I asked a woman to go to Fiji with me, and she bails at the last minute, I’m not going to be brokenhearted,” says Bratt. “I’m still going to go to Fiji and have my fun!”

Private Practice Scoop: Addison’s Got a Dirty Little Secret!

NEW FRIENDSHIPS | Walsh says that Addison will not only further bond with Amelia, but “you’ll see a friendship explored between her and Violet too.” Diggs meanwhile reveals that Sam and Jake are “basketball buddies” — well, at least for now.

Ask Ausiello: Kate Walsh and Taye Diggs on Audra McDonald’s Private Practice Exit

SHRINK FITS | If it sounds like Addison has a lot going on, what with the boyfriend/baby bartering, resurrecting the practice, juggling Jake and all, know that the therapist seen at the end of last season will become a recurring presence. “It’s a really cool device,” raves Walsh. “There’s this whole other piece of Addison that gets revealed in a way that has never been revealed before.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (25)

• Is Naomi gone? Like gone for good gone? (I can’t remember what happened with her).

Comment by Mary – September 29, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Addie’s baby storyline, Addie/Violet friendship, Addie the boss of the practice, and Addie in therapy. That is all.

Comment by Jamie – September 29, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy Addison has a lot going on this season.

Comment by Kenzie – September 29, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here, she is the strongest character and the reason the show was created!

Comment by Ann – September 30, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fans called the IVF storyline as that being who Bratt’s character was; wish it would have been something really different and surprising. Hopefully tonite is interesting!

Comment by Danielle H. – September 29, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope we can get rid of the baby drama this year. After four full seasons of it, it is BEYOND boring.

Comment by sarah – September 29, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean Addison and her baby drama? It was boring last season cause all she did was say she wanted a baby. Now she is finally getting it done, I couldn’t be more excited!

Comment by Russ – October 1, 2011 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does Cooper ever go to Violet’s house and not find someone dying on the floor? I’m assuming this picture is saying that he is the one who finds Pete. He found Violet too after her botched C-section. Poor Coop.

Comment by Dash – September 29, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was actually Pete that found Violet. Coop was at the house but left without going inside because Charlotte needed him.

Comment by Nikki – September 30, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is up with Taye Diggs in that photo? He looks like a 5/8 size of himself, and about 20% smaller than Kate Walsh. If the entire cast can’t get together, THEN DON’T PUBLISH A GROUP SHOT!!!

Comment by The8treGirl – September 29, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please edit. That is all.

Comment by kim in dallas – September 29, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again, y’all get it so freaking wrong … Denny never came back as a ghost. Ever. Haven’t I said this in here recently? Yes, I think I have!

Comment by Annie – September 30, 2011 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s still one of the most ridiculous Shondaland stories ever, so what differences does it really make.

Comment by Catherine – September 30, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed PP for the most part. Vi is probably going to get in trouble for the @therapy” session with the abused woman in the airport. She is not supposed to be practicing . When Pete comes around he is still going to be mad about Vi leaving and what will she do next stay or go? Getting a bit bored with the Amelia storyline.

Comment by Forwarddad – September 30, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone please help me? I am confused since I didn’t get to see all of last season and have not caught up yet,but the baby drama with Addison? What is it? Is it that Sam doesn’t want a baby? Is it Addison is exploring adoption? I ask because didn’t the Addison character leave Grey’s Anatomy to work at this clinic because she went there to see if she could freeze some eggs and there were no eggs that were viable? Didn’t that tie into the whole Mark/Addison abortion story?

Comment by Dawn – September 30, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s been no explanation as to why Addison is getting fertility treatments now when it was indeed said on both GA and PP that her egg count is extremly low and she therefore has a snowball’s chance in hell of getting pregnant. I suspect there might never be one, but we’ll see. And yes, Sam does not want a child and therefore does not support Addison trying to have one. Personally, I’m hoping she’ll dump him and get the kid on her own. In which way ever.

Comment by Lisa – September 30, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • for the love of the show …..Addison and Sam have NO chemistry what so ever!!!!!!!! Please Shonda give Sam someone else. Addisone to the new guy. I cringe every time they are together!

Comment by joterri – September 30, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the episode was pretty lame. I had expected more. (and less obviousness)plus, pete “on hormones” was just dumb and didn’t fit the overall mood at all.

Comment by guest – September 30, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Sam and Addison seem to lack chemistry. I would love to see some good storylines with Charlotte and Cooper…Charlotte and Amelia Friendship. I am also very desperate to see some Sheldon/ Amelia. Those two do have chemistry and depth like Cooper and Charlotte…and ….Pete/Violet.

Comment by Brandi – October 2, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The direction Addison is heading with trying to have a baby, but not having one with Sam, is a very bad social experiment. Why would someone be sleeping with someone they love(or think they love) and want to be impregnated with another man’s sperm? Does anyone else see the lunacy in this? There are so many “wrongs” here, not the least of which is her idea to bring a child into the world who will be intentionally deprived of knowing his/her father. Oh and by the way, child, the man I am with did not love me enough to want to have a child together but loves me enough to wear a condom so that I don’t get pregant with him? WHAT?

Comment by Aurora – October 12, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder what will happen to the care of this baby if Sam doesn’t want it.

Comment by Rose – October 14, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post