Revenge's Nick Wechsler Previews the Show's Hot Triangle and Talks Life Post-Roswell

Did Emily VanCamp’s hunky, blue collar childhood crush look familiar in the premiere of ABC’s Revenge (Wednesdays at 10/9c)? If so, you probably spent some time watching a little show called Roswell and recognized Nick Wechsler from the late WB/UPN alien drama. Yep, that’s an all-grown-up Kyle Valenti playing Jack Porter, one of the romantic leads in Revenge‘s nascent love triangle.

While Wechsler is “excited” about channeling his inner white knight, he confesses it’s not a role that comes naturally to him. “There is part of me that will always feel wrong for any leading man-type, charming guy or whatever,” he tells TVLine. “I am not that guy. I am so weird. I say inappropriate things, and if I have any charm at all, it’s in my utter lack of charm.” But he welcomes “the challenge of trying to find that likeable, charming part of myself and play it.”

The Shield‘s CCH Pounder Exacts Revenge

Mission accomplished. The almost perfect Jack, who named a boat after Emily (a.k.a. Amanda) and still takes care of her childhood dog, is almost impossible to resist. That could prove troublesome for the blonde beauty, whose revenge scheme relies on her cover remaining intact and not implicating innocents like Jack. “If I recognize her and stupidly say something, it’s not necessarily all over, but that means I’m on board and am part of her dirty tricks,” says Wechsler, perhaps hinting at the pilot’s bloody opening minutes. One would think that’d make Emily want to keep her distance, but the actor thinks “she’s not going to be able to help being drawn” back to Jack, who represents “a happier, simpler version of herself.”

“As the need for revenge dies or she sees the futility of it – that it doesn’t change her circumstance – I’m going to look a lot more attractive,” suspects Wechsler. But he’ll have some competition for Emily’s affections from Daniel Grayson (Joshua Bowman), the rich golden boy of the Hamptons. “She’s getting close to Daniel to get close to Victoria,” adds Wechsler. “But in the process of getting close to him, she’s realizing he’s actually a genuine, nice guy [and is] maybe developing some genuine [affection] for him.”

Emily VanCamp Reveals the Reasons Why Revenge Is So Sweet (and So Devious!)

Whoever Emily picks, Wechsler is just happy to be back on TV. While he often hears from fans that Kyle was their favorite character on Roswell, he admits that he “didn’t get the career from it.” After the series ended its run on UPN in 2002, Wechsler guest starred on everything from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to Without a Trace to Tru Calling. But nothing hit like it did for his Roswell co-stars such as Katherine Heigl, Colin Hanks and Shiri Appleby. “It’s just that they had a larger role [on the show],” he offers candidly. “And were more likely to get people to develop some interest in them…and really nurture their careers. I was just low enough that it was like nobody really got that excited about me.”

“[You have to] strike while the iron’s hot and take advantage of this career momentum and all this s— that I just didn’t want to do or I didn’t do,” he continues. “So I made some choices that didn’t help me.”

Fall TV First Impression: Revenge, So Sweet?

But then Weschler almost landed a role opposite his buddy Sam Witwer in Revenge creator Mike Kelley’s CBS drama pilot The Quinn-tuplets. “I have always liked Mike since then,” he says. “I actually did not put together that it was the same [creator on Revenge] until I went for my first audition for it. I just knew that I liked the writing.”

Then, with his typically refreshing candor, he adds, “I wanted to work with Mike Kelly again, but to be honest, there was also a part of me that’s just like, ‘I need work.’”

1. Laura says:

I was skeptical about Revenge, but knowing Nick Weschler is in it i am definitely checking it out. Oh Kyle……but he seriously did a good job of making an unlikeable character totally hilarious and loveable in Roswell

2. stevie says:

best new drama, imo.

3. Lauren says:

I actually wasn’t sure if I was going to check this out. I really loved Emily Van Camp from Everwood, but I checked out Brothers and Sisters for her and hated it. But when I read Nick Wechsler was in it, I was sold. Loved the pilot, and love him and Emily so far (from just one scene). I find it sad he struggled in his career, I thought he was awesome on Roswell. But the other two male leads haven’t done that great either.

4. chris says:

Cannot wait for tonights episode!!!

5. Natalie says:

I was not interested in this show by the previews what so ever but I still recorded the premiere to check it out. Was surprised on how much I enjoyed it. Hopefully they can turn the story line into something that can last…

• Sarah says:

I know the previews were horrible, but the show was a big surprise. So excited for tonight’s episode. Already addicted.

• Joe says:

Totally agree. I had no desire to watch it until a friend told me it was surprisingly good and I really liked it. It doesn’t hurt that it has Everwood and Roswell vets on it, in addition to Madeleine Stowe (who I’ve always – strangely – loved). People waiting on the fence should definitely check it out: it’s soapy and fun.

6. RosJenn says:

I’m so glad to see that Nich Wechler has found work again on TV. I loved him on Roswell, he was seriously underrated on that show. He had a really good touch for comedic timing and was extremely likable. I have occasionally over the years checked his IMDB page to see what he was up to. I didn’t really have Revenge on my must watch TV Pilot list, but now I’ll check it out.

7. Ben says:

I seriously didn’t even recognise him.
    It’s obviously been too long since I’ve watched Roswell reruns!
    Oh and the Revenge pilot seemed pretty solid. Definitely gonna watch the next episode.

8. ggny says:

best pilot of the season so far imo and i didnt even plan on watching it

9. Buffy Freak says:

When I watched the pilot I couldn’t figure out where I knew him from…damn he is sexy! And so is Joshua Bowman. I don’t like the guy that plays Jack’s brother…Conor something…but I really loved the pilot more than I expected to…

10. Naoimi says:

I have a question about the childhood dog. Isn’t it about 140 in dog years by now? How is it still alive?

• Kyle Andrews says:

He’d be about 16, right? I’ve had dogs live that long or longer. He’s probably near the end though. Maybe they could work that into the story and have Emily/Amanda get really upset when the dog dies.

11. Elizabeth says:

I was finally able to watch the pilot and I really enjoyed it. Like a few people have posted, I was surprised at how much I liked it. I’m very intrigued as to where the story is going to go.

I was a Roswell fan and it’s nice to see Nick Wechsler again!!
    I recognized him pretty quickly in the opening scene. And it made me even more interested in the show.

12. Jon says:

I hated this guy when he was in Roswell. But he’s totally hotter now.

Loved the first episode of Revenge. I love trashy soap operas. This has the potential to become an addictive show to watch.

13. Dwayne says:

I will confess when I 1st saw the pilot I had to google to make sure he was who I thought he was. I love the show though. The creator already has a gameplan laid out for this season which I commend him for. I hate when showrunners kind of make it up as they go.

14. Chris Halarewich says:

I never watched roswell so i don’t remember him from there but I do remember him from a short lived series bef0ore that called Team Kight Rider (TKR)

15. Gin says:

I loved Roswell and Kyle was my favorite character…probably because he was such a loser lol but he was great and totally loveable…I cant wait to see Nick on Revenge :)

16. lacey says:

I really enjoyed the pilot and can’t wait to see how her revenge scheme continues throughout the season. As for Nick Wechsler it took me probably the whole episode to recognize him from Roswell. He was so familiar and it bugged me that I couldn’t place him. I wish him luck and hope that this is chance at success.

17. Audrey says:

i just happened to turn the channel last night and Revenge was on. and of course… 2 minutes later… i yelled at my daughters “AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!”…. i do that alot when i notice actors from other shows i enjoy. and of course… my daughters yelled too when they realized who i was yelling for.

yes… very weird family

18. Vanny says:

I say Ditto to some of the comments above. By the end of Roswell, he became my favorite character. He does have great comedic timing, and I too wondered why he never acted much after that. Saw him in the Terminator pilot, and thought whoa!, they really didn’t do much with him at all there. Glad to see him again, and hope this does well for him.

19. Janet says:

I am so happy to see Nick on TV again! You’re doing Albuquerque proud! I enjoyed watching him on Roswell and other shows he made appearances on. Nick is a boyhood friend of my son Brian and I get a kick out of seeing him on TV and I think I knew him back when! I wish you great success with Revenge and your career Nick!

20. Vivienne says:

Yay Nick…..Only watching this show to see Nick and am surprised and pleased they are casting him as the “good guy”. He is doing a great job too. Nick did a terrific job on Roswell and made the most out of his part! I hope Revenge finds an audience and that this under appreciated actor finds big success.

21. Robert says:

I’ve always liked Nick Wechsler and I’ve missed him on my screen. I love Roswell and watch it on DVD all the time, anyway, I hope this show lasts a long time and I wish Nick luck!

22. lorna says:

Nick and Katherine Heigl def had chemistry in the last season, too bad she was married, though I liked her tv husband.

23. Jo says:

I really look forward to this show every week… and I admit that Nick is the reason I tune in now! Wow… that man is gorgeous! He plays Jack beautifully… can’t wait until next week!

24. Terance Healy says:

I swear i just saw him as Captain America’s best friend. Funny, no mention of it.

25. greyg says:

Well, he’s back ! :) Bout time someone got the sherif’s son some tv creds. The young man has
    talent but his infectious funny attitude prob made the hollywood suits nervous. He is a good
    actor and i loved his role on Roswell.. when he said “why are you whispering over and over
    he did it so well i will never forget that”. I hear he’s ariot in real life too.
    WHATEVER, i wish him nothing but the BEST. T A B A S C O hoooo you tv doggies…. :)

26. Bridget says:

If the life story of Jon Bon Jovi were ever done, Nick would be my number 1 pick to play him….they have the same sexy look!!!

27. ann says:

i didn’t know him from any shows but i will remember him now hes tooooooo hot.