Breaking: Fox's New Girl Gets Full-Season Pickup

No surprise here: Fox has picked up freshman hit New Girl for a full season.

The network announced Wednesday that it has ordered an additional 11 episodes of the Zooey Deschanel-fronted comedy, bringing its Season 1 order to 24 episodes.

“We love the charming Zooey Deschanel and the entire cast, we’re knocked out with the work that Liz Meriwether and the whole staff is doing and we are really psyched about the upcoming episodes in the pipeline,” said Fox prez Kevin Reilly. “It’s great that audiences have responded so positively so far and we’re confident that even more people will embrace the show – and more comedy on FOX – this season.”

New Girl bowed last week to more than 10 million viewers, making it Fox’s highest-rated fall sitcom debut in 10 years. Even more impressive, the show maintained nearly all of its premiere audience in Week 2.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Full-Season Pick-Ups, News

1. Bridget says:

Woo! Love it! :)

2. SonR says:

this show is more than slightly annoying, well just “jess”

• tv lover says:

I totally agree. The writing is lazy and the acting is completely over-the-top. Hope people start to see that instead of being blinded by Zooey’s star power.

• Lauren says:

Amen to this! I’ve watched both episodes thinking that somebody somewhere has to tone it down a notch and so far I’ve been jarringly disappointed. I always wondered how hokey crap like Two and a Half men got an audience and it looks like I’m going to see it happen with New Girl. Zooey is so much better than this schmalzy crap.

• boo.hiss. says:

i’ve been surprised on other sites how many people said they didn’t really like the show but still were watching for zooey. i like her enough to wish her BETTER than this crap, not keep her doing it. but you take those people and the idiots that are easily manipulated into liking things (put a laugh track on it? it’s so funny! create a character who we’re told is so pathetic you can’t help but love her bc you feel sorry for? they do so. no matter that in real life this person either doesn’t exist or if they do, you AVOID them, not befriend them. no matter that in real life three straight men would never put up with this much weirdo doofusy crap from a girl that they were either banging or wanted to bang).

3. Gloria says:

YAY!!!!!!!! Love it!!

4. Brian says:

Yes! Well deserved.

5. Tim says:

Great show and even better news

6. Upset says:

I’ve seen both episodes & I’m not impressed. I’ll give it next week & if it does not improve I’m out.

7. Dean says:

This show is very good. It had been a long time since I have seen a comedy this good.

8. genifer says:

i love it when she goes into her singing mode. And I will never forget them sing Time of my life in restaurant for her. I love this show!

9. Lorie says:

Awesome news!

10. Carrie says:

Awesome! It’s our favorite new show this year. Now I wonder what will be the first cancelation? The Playboy Club and Free Agents are strong contenders…

11. Amy says:

yay! great news..i actually really liked the show

12. Olivia says:

I didnt like the show, due to the Jess character being extremely annoying. But I like Zooey Deschanel so I’m happy for her and the cast that the show is going well.

13. Ikitty says:

How can you like Zooey but dislike Jess? She’s pretty much playing herself. That doesn’t really make much sense.

14. Sarabi says:

We all love Zooey. :)

15. Kate says:

I found the show grating and too broadly acted. I don’t get the fuss. Am enjoying Two Broke Girls more.

• Dave says:

How is that possible? Two broke girls goes for every obvious joke and the writing is just… bad. Building a show around a snarky character is a huge cop out.

• Christine says:

I completely agree. I watched the first two episodes of 2 Broke Girls, and I was able to complete every joke and every punchline. The show really is not that clever. They’re just using jokes that have been recycled a million times before. Plus, I’d say that the main character in 2 Broke Girls has some work to do on her acting

• Sarah says:

Completely agree.

• ESLKid75 says:

Ditto!

16. El says:

I just want to know what’s wrong with the people who sit through New Girl but then change the channel on Raising Hope?! That show is hysterical. Martha Plimpton & the rest of the cast are awesome.

• Corie says:

Thank you! At least Raising Hope was recognized at the Emmys. If New Girl ever gets a nomination, I will start to get really mad.

• jj says:

i’ll answer. people who watch and enjoy New Girl? idiots who are zooey fawners. People who watch and enjoy Raising Hope? people who know good smart humor (well written and executed). Raising Hope is a great example of how to do broad comedy the RIGHT way.

17. Dick says:

Decent show with some upside. Not appointment viewing, but decent.

18. stevie says:

new girl?
    greendale!

19. Jada says:

Yay! I quite enjoyed this.

20. Mary Moon says:

Huge Zooey fan! She & Him is one of my favorite bands and Zooey is usually adorable in her acting roles. I found the pilot to be ok, but the second episode, well, I found miserable!!! I didn’t think the writing was that great. They seem to be aiming for cute more than funny, and the jokes that enlist a semi-reaction are not original. I hope it gets better. I really do.

21. Allison says:

That’s all fine but what happened to Coach? Is he coming back?

22. Katie says:

Yay! This show isn’t exactly on par with Community or 30 Rock (yet), but it makes me so happy! Such a likable cast.

• jj says:

you voted for Bush bc he was such a likeable guy didn’t you. let me put it in terms you might understand. i’d love to go out for drinks with zooey and the gang. we’d have a blast. but i think watching this show would be a good torture to add right after waterboarding.

• nessa says:

jj i guess your the kinda guy who watches two and a half men and think its a brilliant comedy right??
        stop harrassing people that.you like to make fun of people just coz they have an opinion lame.

23. Kayla says:

Based on all the hype I feel like I should love the show, but after 2 episodes I find that it’s just okay and not something I get excited about watching. I like Zooey so I’m glad she has a hit, but I’m going to pass on it for now. There’s just way too much other TV that I’m currently enjoying. I’ll try to catch a couple episodes later in the season to give it another chance. Maybe it’ll appeal more to me once it hits its stride.

24. Brendan says:

Well I love the show. It’s silly and quirky – exactly what I want from a sitcom! :) I’m glad that it’s sticking around even though I think they totally forgot to make Schmidt use the douche bag jar in the second episode… and he had some top-level jarworthy moments during the entire ‘left-behind’ box scene.

25. lexi says:

i hate it when all of the haters start ganging up on a show like that
    its a fat lot better than 2 broke girls,whitney or even up all night
    the show has a lot of potential
    look at parks and rec,30 rock their first seasons were awful
    even community had a few terrible episodes in the beginning
    i dont get the hatred at all

26. Michael says:

I think they did this a bit too soon. They should have waited just one more week to see if people like the show with the new character or not. Obviously, the show isn’t going to drop to non-back nine/eleven eligible numbers next week, but still.

27. Spencer says:

YAY! I love this show and Zooey Deschanel!

28. Spencer says:

Ok, ‘jj’, is there anything that you like, or do you just like going and making yourself feel better by harassing others because they have an opinion. WAKE UP! We all have opinions, fool! And if you hate it so much, why don’t you just write: ‘I’m not a fan of this show’ and move on like an adult? And also, do you realize how no one (except for me because I can’t stand reading your terrible comments) has even bother to reply to any of the crap you’ve been writing? Just hope you realize we all have opinions, and yours isn’t always the best. And yours is DEFINTELY not worth sharing over and over again….

29. tom says:

what the hell is wrong with people
    modern family got the same treatment new girl is getting now
    and now look can we see a single one of them
    i guess not
    new girl has more potential than most of the comedies this season

30. racheal says:

you knw new girl is popular when mr crabs is trending on twitter
    plus parks and rec was a god awful show when it started i wondered why it even got a s2 pickup its an absolute creative genius now
    plus new girl and parks have a common thing an unlikable female lead but the show still works
    i hate the negative comments for every new show
    terranova,2 broke girls what is with you people

31. Cate says:

So what does it say that I like both the new girl and raising hope? I like to think that we can all like the shows we like and not name call. I’m a pretty intelligent tv watcher (the wire, FNL, community, Luther being among my faves

32. Jeff says:

I don’t get the whole “Oooh, Zooey Deschanel” thing in some of these comments. Other than being Emily’s sister, I’m not aware of any great acting performance that would make her the reason to watch a show.

33. Pam says:

I like the show but I HATE, HATE, HATE the character of Schmidt. I cannot remember the last time I hated the character so much. During the second ep, I FFd through most of his scenes. And the loss of Damon Wayans Jr was a big deal, imo. The new guy isn’t as good.

34. Dan Coleman says:

I can’t believe that ANYONE would watch ANYTHING with this nauseating Zooey Deschannel in it. She couldn’t act her way out of a wet paper bag. Her only claim to fame is independent films anyway and she is awful even in them. Just goes to show you that Fox is desperate to broadcast anything.

35. Plum says:

Okay so what’s with desperate middle guy who doesn’t seem to have a “thing?” Schmidt is memorable, funny and played by an actor with a solid genre past. Winston is funny, he’s a foil for Jess and blends in nicely. Then there’s the Ugly Bearded Guy. He comes off too desperate to be cool and he’s ugly. He doesn’t have chemistry with Jess, doesn’t show enough emotion to be interesting and he’s not funny or memorable. Since they retooled the show once I wonder if he’ll just vanish one day like Judy Winslow on Family Matters.

36. Alice fletch says:

You all are crazy. This show is amazing! I love the silliness it brings to the screen when everything else is overly dramatic and heavy. I love Zooey, I love this show. Long live New Girl! :)