Exclusive

Exclusive: Grey's Anatomy Brings Back Mama O'Malley — Could George's Ghost Be Next?

The spirit of George O’Malley will be making the rounds at Seattle Grace this fall, but not in the form of T.R.Knight.

A Grey’s Anatomy insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that Debra Monk is set to reprise her role as George’s mother, Louise — a little more than two years after her army-bound son succumbed to injuries from being hit by a bus.

Grey’s Anatomy Spoiler Alert: More Drama Ahead For Cristina and Owen

Mrs. O’Malley’s return — presumably for medical reasons — is sure to reopen old wounds for Meredith and Bailey. It’s also certain to lead to an awkward run-in between her and former daughter-in-law Callie, seeing as how the last time the two saw each other Callie was “straight.”

There’s no word if Knight will put in an appearance in the episode, either via flashback or as a ghost a la Denny. But I’m guessing, um, probably not.

Grey’s Anatomy Scoop/Spoilers are Ripe For the Taking on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Monk’s return engagement is slated to air Nov. 3.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. barbara says:

I agree. I was so disappointed about the show having an abortion on it that I don’t think I want to watch the show anymore. I’ve watched Grey’s since the beginning. Don’t like the direction it’s taken. I’ll probably be watching something else this tomorrow night.

2. Hayley says:

Its going to be traumatic for Bailey (Georges mum returning) as it raises memories of George ie. He helped Bailey give birth to her son which was named after George (middle name at least). And it will affect Mer because everything does..it is ‘Greys’ Anatomy after all.
    I imagine it will be a very emotional episode and one not to miss.
    As much as I hope and wish I can’t find a workable re-entry for George, but thats what writers are paid for…fingers crossed!
    One day and counting until the next draw dropping, heart wrenching, tear jerking episode!!!

3. janelle says:

oh i forgot to mention that they never did find George’s wallet either, so the only way they were able to identify him was by a freckle on his hand.a lot of people could have a freckle on their hand
    but anyway that was just my theory, its fun to think about^_^

4. amanda says:

ok love george and bourke!…please bring them back..shows sucks without them..as far denny he did come back as a ghost at first..remember merediths drowning episodes??..he was there with the patient and the bomb guy..and in the last scene he :connected: with izzie letting her feel his presence

5. Tonya says:

I’d rather not have a hateful homophobe back on the show and I’m very glad it isn’t him returning.

6. Viv says:

I’m proud that grey’s isn’t taking the pc route and making her miscarry again just to appease people who don’t agree with the fact that a woman has a right to make that choice!

7. Reno Dal Gal says:

Seriously? Your comment is out of line.

8. greys fan says:

november 3rd is a monday so are you telling us there gonna change the air dates in november

9. GetWithIt says:

I would really like to see Knight put his appearance in this episode, which can help to put a pseudo effect.

10. Kathy says:

I miss O’Malley too but I think bringing him back as a ghost would be too much since they already did Denny that way. Can’t wait to see what’s next on this season :)

11. Laurice says:

George left because after he divorced Callie, he got a lot less camera time which pissed him off (if I remember correctly) and also because he was offered a gig on Broadway opposite Patrick Stewart.

12. benny says:

i miss george alot,the show isn’t same without him.for izzie kinda.

13. Miriam says:

While I agree that Christina shouldn’t have a baby if she doesn’t want one, I also voice that someone who feels that strongly about not being a m

14. Miriam says:

While I agree that Christina should not have a baby she doesn’t want, I also believe that a person who feels that strongly about not wanting to be a mother should have done something about it. If you know you don’t want kids, then tie your tubes. Abortion is not birth control. There could be serious physical and psychological consequences.

15. bob says:

i miss george! he was an integral reason why the show was so good in the first two and a half seasons, and the way he was discarded in season 5 was inexcusable. despite the confluence of finicky actors and self-righteous producers, george and, more importantly, the fans deserved better. his death and treatment prior to his death are the greatest injustices this show has ever performed, and i don’t think the show ever really recovered from it, hospital shootout episode notwithstanding.

16. Alberto says:

I miss George… And I would love to see him back, as flashback, or even a ghost… :(

17. LMSO says:

How the heck did the article on George’s mom lead to commenters wanting to bring back George and Burke? Honestly. George is dead and Burke is gone. Neither is coming back. Ever. Sheesh.

18. Gerre Howard says:

I agree that I don’t want Callie and Arizona to be hurt. I feel that Mrs O’MaLley will understood because she is a kind woman I feel so sad foR Meridith and I think Cristina is a very selfish person!

19. gerre howard says:

Cristina and Owen are doctors, can we say birth control!? I Agree my body is my business but Cristina is a very selfish person with the personality of a monster and no bedside manner!

20. amy says:

He left the show to be on broadway. He started there and missed it so sadly he made the choice to leave greys. He was always my favorite on thw show and i miss that character like crazy.

21. Jillie says:

George was the best thing that happened to Grey Anatomy!
    PLEASEEEEEEE COME BACK TR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. alicia says:

Tubal isn’t 100%, Many women conceive after that and there is nothing that can be done about it. Don’t Forget ROE V WADE gave us the option of choice, whether you agree or not it is not your place to judge her. You have no idea if she was on BC or other contraceptive. So Lay off her this is not a debate over abortion, if you don’t like the story line turn off your damn TV and pick up a book.

23. Kelly says:

T.R. Knight as George O’Malley was my fav character.We will believe anything you say about his disappearance!
    But bring back him, please !!!!

It would have been nice to see him again.

24. MARI says:

NUNCA DEBIERON MATAR A GEORGE ME GUSTA Q REGRESE.EDSTARIA BUENISIMO VOLVER A VER A DENNY DE NUEVO!!!!!!

25. Amanda says:

Izzy and George were not key characters in Grey’s Anatomy. They left at the right times. Plus I’ve heard this is the last season

26. le says:

Yea if they bring back dr.burk that would be awesome, i mean think of all of the story lines that they can have with him! would have loved it.

27. Hanna J says:

TR Knight has said several times that he will never come back to Grey’s which is depressing because he was my second favorie character(after Yang of course). He didnt even want to do season 6 to do a flashback of the accident. That is why that girl only told his story. Fingers crossed he’ll make an appearance on the last episode ever of GA.

28. Aries says:

I think the ghost stories take away the reality of the show, make it less believable. Izzy hallicinating about denny was the worst season of greys. Though had they kept denny alive, iprefered he and izzy to george and izzy. I agree that karev needs to go. Butplease, no ghost stories.

29. Grey'sloverr says:

lol at my cliched/lame name thingy. Anyway…I absolutely LOVED the character George, and I think that the actor T.R Knight did an amazing job. If George were to come back as a ghost for an episode (played by T.R Knight) or even just flashacks that would be so exciting!
    I love Grey’s. I love George.

30. Sam says:

She’s a great actress and I have to believe the story line is about Callie. She really didn’t connect with anyone other than her or Izzie. I do like that they acknowledge that George is gone and was a big part of GA. I also see Bailey and Meredith in this story.

31. Amanda says:

Personally if she has a heart problem, id love to see her request burke as her doctor. I think it would throw a good twist into the show.

32. brenda says:

oh please please please shonda rimes…bring back george..what a story line for him to come walking into that hospital one day..it would be soooo easy to make up something with the way george left..secret mission with the army or amnesia from being hit along with the other guy…anything! please please…and also what a story line to bring burke back and see how him christina and owen act