Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Get a First Look at Next Week's First-Rate Episode 'Asian F'

Good news, Gleeks: Your favorite musical comedy puts that pesky Season 2 creative slump firmly in its rearview mirror next week with “Asian F,” a standout hour written by executive producer Ian Brennan and directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon.

It’s good, people. Like really good. I know because I screened it this morning and I’m still on a McKinley high. It’s no good that

Glee Exclusive: New Gay Warbler to Come Between Kurt and Blaine

Press play below for a sneak peek of the can’t-miss episode — which boasts standout performances from Amber Riley (Mercedes), Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) and Jayma Mays (Emma) — and then head over to my Twitter feed for a few choice spoilers.

1. Marcela says:

I would watch it, and I would love it, but the video is not allowed to be played in Brazil. Just great!

2. dee says:

Okay, wait a minute. All summer long we had the great brouhaha about Kurt being among those graduating this year, making him a SENIOR. And in yesterday’s episode, Brittany stunned Kurt by telling him that she was a unicorn too, so she was going to run for class president too–the CLEAR implication being that she was running against him. But in this promo, we see her announcing “I’m your next JUNIOR class president!”

HUH??????

3. Taylor says:

McKinley high. I see what you did there…
    Can’t wait :D

4. Anthony Newhall says:

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

5. sigh says:

Ryan Murphy, so when you titled the episode ‘Asian F’, you mean you’re giving yourself an ‘F’ for still ignoring all the asian characters on Glee. Good title then for the episode. Promote equality, then give equal time and focus on story development to all the main core characters you’ve introduced to the show. Big ole ‘F’for now. Hoping you still fulfill your promises.

• Maya says:

If you watched the preview after last week’s episode, it’s something that Tina says to Mike. Apparently in this episode. So before you judge, watch and actually listen.

• sigh says:

Still doesnt address the fact that Tina still has only one liners and is still in the shadows. Have you heard her even finish a single song? Judged based on facts here babe.

• Rachel says:

While I agree that Glee has given very little limelight to Tina or Mike, True Colors is a song Tina has finished.

• Lynn says:

Umm, she doesn’t get to finish her song because her voice isn’t that good. And she only get one-liners because her character is annoying. So, I’m pretty sure her Asain-ness is the deciding factor in her screen time.

• Captain says:

Agreed. Tina isn’t given screentime because she’s one of the weakest singers and actors on the show. The episodes that feature her prominantly are always lousy.

• P says:

OK, that’s just mean.
            Jenna Ush is a MUCH better singer than Cory Monteith or Heather Morris or Dianna Agron. And Tina’s character has a lot of potential.

• Brooke says:

Stop going all racial on Glee.. For Gods sake. If you payed any attention at all, you would realize that, 1) They ‘ignore’ more characters in the show than Asians 2) It’s not ignoring because they are focusing more on the couple this season. 3) You are missing the message of the show. 4) It’s not a matter of race, and if you are stupid enough to believe that then go watch something else because Glee is one of the only shows out there that include all different types of people. 5) You are obviously bitter about something, so just tell the truth and stop bitching about a TV show that practices equality better than anything I have ever watched. 6) Last but not least, we are in 20 episodes so far, dont make assumptions based on ignorance. Can you also remember that this is a TV show, not a socio-political base for stereotypes. Yes, it falls into the mold at times, but Ryan’s intention was to focus on certain subjects without jumbling 20 different stereotypes at a time. They have not focused on race yet, this season it seems like they are taking that on. Think about it for a minute..

• Julie says:

Have you heard «True Colors»? Yeah I thought so.

• Pay attention says:

If you watched the original preview for this episode (not the latest one here) you would know that it’s called Asian F because of Tina and Mike having a major story arc in this episode. The title is based on something she says to him in that story line. Completely disproving everything you just said.

• CC says:

Besides, isn’t Blaine’s actor Philipino (forgive if spelled incorrectly). Pretty sure they do occasionally focus on an asian character.

6. Kimmy says:

can’t see the video. ): can somebody tell me what it shows?

7. reginasparks says:

Um, isn’t this the preview they showed after last nights episode? i thought we’ve already seen this.

8. mal says:

who are the random jocks in the auditorium when the Glee kids give [whoever it is] a standing O?

9. Willa says:

EMMA WAS HOLDING A PREGNANCY TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• alex says:

It’s not a pregnancy test, it’s a pen.

• Kim says:

the two close to call is who will be Maria, Mercedes (who is all wrong for the part) or Rachel.

• delilah says:

it’ll be rachel cuz mercedes was like “its gonna be the rachel show but not for me….”

• bytheseatofmypants says:

But why was bff Kurt so mad at Rachel? There are losts of interesting spoilers out there some true some who knows? But what they have said of this episode will be the best written and acted episode ever of Glee. Very dramatic and moving. All that I’m saying is speculation on my part not fact. Could be Mercedes gave the best performance she has ever done and won Maria . I don’t get how they can have two glee clubs when no one wants anything to do with them. I don’t know what is fact. If Mercedes is chosen Maria, Rachel needs extracurriculars to get into NYADA and running and class president would be a start but running against Kurt. Which would be a very logical reason for Kurt to be mad at her. Just saying there are so many obstacles for all of them to face. One is Mike and the asian f. He sings I think for the first time in this episode. How it really plays out on screen with no speculations involved with be breathtaking. Looking forward to it.

• Rex says:

Rachel probably told Kurt the truth: that Blaine would make a better Tony than he would.

• ATLgroove says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that it has something to do with Shelby, Rachel’s biological mom. I’m thinking maybe she joins Shelby’s crackpot of a Glee Club?

• Captain says:

I think it’s going to be Mercesdes only because Kurt is so obviously not going to be Tony. I think they’ll have both of them fail and have to start over in their quests to get into that performing arts program. It’s stupid because Rachel is obviously Maria but oh well.

• chrystal says:

no she was holding a green pen… i think shes talkin about mercadees and rachel little diva off…

10. Leah A says:

sometimes it sounds like she is saying junior ad sometimes it sounds like she is saying senior… weird.

11. Kris says:

Mercedes is so ridiculous. I don’t understand why she’s making such a big deal about Rachel wanting to be the lead in the school musical. Rachel’s dream is to be on Broadway, Mercedes have never mentioned wanting to be a Broadway star….she simply can’t stand not being the TOP Diva. Ethnic Diversity or not, Rachel is a far better pick for Maria. Mercedes has obviously never seen West Side Story.

• Lim says:

Vocally Rachel is a better choice. Maria is a softer, sweet voice. Mercedes should go for Anita a meatier role anyway.

• rowan says:

Anita is a terrific role. When I think of the film West Side Story I always think of Rita Moreno as Anita before I think of Natalie Wood as Maria.

• Lily says:

Agree, not really impressed by Maria in West Side Story (WSS)… There is only one thing that I remember from WSS and it is “America” and guess who sings there ? Could there be a Mercedes/Kurt duet like in the Madonna episode ? oh well , wishful thinking.

• Drea says:

Lim, I totally agree, I dont think Rachel is completely in the vocal range for Maria, but I think that Mercedes is all wrong. I think she’d def. would be better as an Anita (plus I think Anita has some really awesome songs. America and a boy like that are two of my favs)

• Rex says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with the actual part of Maria itself. I think it’s more to do with Rachel getting every lead part over Mercedes every time. This is simply the straw that broke the camel’s back. Rachel has been favored, rightly or wrongly, since Day 1. Mercedes is finally fed up.

12. Joe says:

Wow another diva off. Rachel has already conceded to Mercedes a few times already why are we doing this yet again?

Andy shouldn’t Mercedes beef be with Mr Shue who has yet find a method to hand out songs?

13. end of story says:

I saw Rachel ends up with the part, Mercedes defects to Shelby;s club.

By the time they get to Sectionals the 2 teams will merge and Mercedes will get her turn to shine at that competition.

• ar says:

I kinda hope this is so…that would be awesome…the ongoing battle, plus it would give Santana another option besides New Direction

14. AndyLuvr says:

Wonder why the heck Matt Morrison is singing with a choir behind him…

15. Evan says:

Shame, i cant see the vid cause of my location, Mexico, is there a possibilty you can fix that?, thank you! have a great day!

16. Kami Tovar says:

LOL! i cant see it, im from Mexico, snif snif

17. Gavin says:

The episode title likely refers to the old joke about a “B” being an “Asian F” That would explain Mike Chang’s parents being in the episode if they were upset that Mike had earned a B.

18. Andres says:

Get Hotspotshield if you wanto to see the video and your not allow.

Install it, but make sure do desactivate it when you don´t need it because it will show you ads in every page you visit.

Hope you enjoy it!

BTW the preview wasn´t very good anyways

19. Dayo says:

they took out the mike chang and tina part. fail!

20. gleeluver123 says:

I luv this show can’t wait for next week I feel bad for the people who can’t watch it

21. diane says:

just go to youtube and type in glee preview for oct. 4th and you can watch it. We are not even allowed to see it here in Canada. Oh and Brittany say’s senior.

22. Dustin says:

I don’t like it that there is a gay warbler that is going to try and break up Klaine. I don’t like this.

23. Ryann says:

Mercedes is annoying. I’m so sick of her trying to compete with Rachel as glee club’s best singer. She’s obviously number #2 for a variety of reasons: she screams not sings, she has no charisma, no stage presence, and no star power. And since when is she into Broadway type songs? Rachel is only doing this play to get credits to get into NYATA, while Mercedes is still trying to prove herself as better than Rachel. Ugh. ANNOYED.

• Sandy says:

I completely agree with you!!! Mercedes has a nice voice but she screams waaay to much in her songs. And yes when is she into broadway?

• Well says:

While I don’t think Mercedes has the voice for Maria, she has done Broadway songs before. She performed “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” from Dreamgirls, “Sweet Transvestite” from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and she did a duet with Rachel from Rent.

24. What I think says:

I think Kurt should get the role of Maria. The original West Side Story was cutting edge. It was about racism in America. Well, racism isn’t on the edge anymore. But giving Maria to Kurt definitely would be.

• Sarah says:

THIS! But maybe call him… Mark? Mar…tin? And then Blaine could be Tony and they could be star-crossed lovers.

• Olivia says:

That’s what I thought! On a spoiler website it said that the “lady” who got the role of Maria didn’t want it, and that Kurt got a role in the play. I’m totally calling it that Blaine is Tony and Kurt is some male form of Maria. Very Glee thing to do.

25. brett says:

wtf??? canadians cant watch this either????

26. Tiffany says:

i live in Canada, not Narnia. Why can’t i view this video?

27. hahaha says:

It looks like Emma is holding a pregnancy test and it looks like (if paused on the spot)she is talking to coach beast…. or Mercedes… cat really tell. And Brittany says Senior. I played if 50 gazillion times.

28. emily says:

Brilliant!

29. Ali says:

they hate Canadians don’t they? -.-

30. Ali says:

they hate Canadians don’t they? -.-

31. clarhae says:

im sorry, but what was this episode all about?? coz im thinking(based on the title) they will be singing mr. simple by super junior here?????(by any chance) i really dont have any idea about it. ^^

32. Andre says:

Three episodes in and “Glee” still isn’t using their highly hyped new writing team. Episode 1 – Falchuk, Episode 2 – Murphy, Episode 3 – Brennan. I see rumour online that Ali Adler (“Chuck”, “No Ordinary Family”) wrote episode 4.

33. Laur says:

Ryan Murphy can’t ever get the ages of his teenagers right. In Popular I’m pretty sure their ages changed depending on homecoming, prom, and class elections.

34. DJ says:

Mercedes isn’t trying to prove she is better than Rachel, she is just trying to get some sort of respect within the club. Out of all the competitions they’ve been in, name one song where she got more than one or two big notes. If she sucks so bad like some of you are saying, why would she even get that? Rachel has a beautiful Broadway voice, yes, but I like some soul in my songs every now and then, and I don’t see why that is so frowned upon. Mercedes has put out plenty of songs where she isn’t ‘yelling’, so I feel she can do just as good at a competition song as all the other members that have gotten their shine.

Besides, it would be boring if Rachel never had any competition and she needs to be challenged. Just sayin’.

• Sandy says:

I agree that mercedes could do just as good at a competition song like you said. I just don’t get why all of a sudden she’s into a broadway play? She should try and fight for the solo at the next competition not for the lead in this play..

• DJ says:

She isn’t all of a sudden into plays. She also asked and got the part of Frank N. Furter in the last play they did. If we want to be quite honest we don’t know much about Mercedes at all, she is only used to give more development to another character. And honestly, this is just another way to give Rachel something to overcome or appear like her dreams are being snatched from her somehow. It is a play and if she is the best then she will get the part, plain and simple. I don’t see anything wrong with Mercedes auditioning for the part, and just like we saw with Blaine, if they feel she is better suited for another part, they will suggest it. :)

35. Kittyfrostz says:

SO it dont wanna show in Aus.. you should really get that fixed :'(

36. stupidVIDEO says:

why post it if you can’t even view it????

37. Jessica Wise says:

I’ll have to find the clip on youtube because it won’t show in my country (Taiwan). Still, I liked your review. I want a McKinley high, too. :)

38. KCatty says:

I’ll be interested to see how much they play up the “I’m naturally talented so I don’t need to bother with practicing” character flaw they set up for Mercedes last season and continued into last night’s episode. I think it is interesting, and true of many talented people.

Shelby notes how much Rachel’s range has improved in two years… and that has happened because no matter how annoying her character may be at times, you know she’s working for what she gets. I like that they are setting up a dichotomy between that approach and Mercedes’ “I can get by on my talent alone” way of thinking.

39. Jam says:

Is Brittany a Senior or a Junior? o.O
    Because I thought she said Senior in the promo but then rumors are like telling she’s a Junior.
    Come on, RIB. Get it together. :D
    You tell us that Blaine is a Junior last year, and now he’s a Junior again. Ugh.

40. mel says:

This episode needs more Finn. Where’s the Finn storylines this season?

41. Géraldine says:

I’m pretty sure to have heard Brittany saying the word of “senior” but well, Heather Morris speaks so quickly that confusion is sill possible.
    Plus if I remember well, last year, Brittany attended the Prom evening as junior, so it would be logical that this year be her last…well, if she doesn’t double her Senior class of course! (in this case, what about Brittana? I’m pretty sure that Brittana will happen at the end of the current season so, why to make them acting like a couple if the couple is separated the following season like Mercedes/Sam or Puck/Lauren all the more that Brittana is very popular!)

Glee’s “Asian F” must be aired on next week and it seems that this episode be the one to watch! After Kristin Dos Santos comment yesterday, this is the second very positive article about this episode so, maybe this 3rd season will finally begin with hight ratings…

42. Gloria says:

The Glee guys know how to do GREAT thinks just… sometimes, they just dont want to… I cant wait to see next week’s episode!

43. nicole says:

This episode is getting so much hype. Hopefully it lives up to that expectation.

44. Plum says:

Thank god, so sick of the show tunes. I’m no longer amazed when Rachel sings; it’s really, really good but also very Barbraeque, and a little Barbra goes a long, long, long way.

I’d much rather see the characters grow and progress, glad to see their acknowledging the Seniors and the move to make Brittany senior class prez is genius.

Lets hear new songs, not the same old standards. If I want old musicals I’ll rent my faves; and what was up with the random Romeo and Juliet scene? If Blaine were my boyfriend I would spend less time obsessing over a part in a play and more time snuggling up at Starbucks.

45. Rex says:

What did Emma say at the very end? I replayed it several times and I still can’t make it out.

46. Emma says:

So that now gonna be 3 episodes of Season 3 w/o any real focus on Finn’s story?

I could’ve sworn I heard someone, maybe just one time, assure us that Glee was “going back to its roots” and getting back to basics. Know what Glee basics were all about? Telling the stories of Finn (the focal student character of the Pilot, even), Rachel, Will, and Emma. The other characters all grew into story lines over time; those four are the core, the roots, the basics, and the heart of Glee.

So why no meaningful focus on Finn for three episodes at the start of his final season on the show? And why have scenes with him in them been cut short or cut out? (Which has been made obvious from the release of promos and stills.)

Michael, could you please find out what’s going on?

• sarah says:

It seems obvious that Finn has been sidelined otherwise why reduce the screen time and edit the scenes. They just stick a little Finchel in now and again as they know after the PR disasters in the summer and Chord Overstreet’s departure that they would have a backlash. It is clear from all he has said that Ryan Murphy favors Colfer and Michele. But there are a heck of a lot of Finn fans (and lets face it when so many women of all ages watch the show they are taking a risk). And so unfair for those of us who invetested in the character from the pilot.

47. enigma17001 says:

I agree about enough of the showtunes. I like Rachel’s voice too and it’s obvious since day one she’s the star glee character, but guess what I don’t want to hear her or Blaine sing 3 of the 4 songs in a episode. I mean, I know not every member of glee has the vocal range of Rachel or Blaine but really is it that difficult to let Mercedes, Santanna, Tina, or any other members get atleast a song every 3 or 4 episodes. I hope Mercedes wipes the floor with Rachel because while I like Lea Michelle, I want Rachel to sit her tail down for an episode or two atleast the singing parts. I know I’m going to get a lot of flack because I don’t want to hear Broadway all the time, but they’ve done a lot of covers of popular songs that were good and showcased more than Kurt, Rachel, and Blaine.