Scoop: Dane Cook Developing NBC Sitcom

In what marks his first foray into network television, actor-comedian Dane Cook has inked an overall talent deal with NBC with an eye towards developing a half-hour sitcom for the 2012-13 TV season.

In addition to his stand-up work, Cook has appeared on the big screen in Good Luck Chuck, Dan in Real Life and Mr. Brooks. His small screen credits include guest stints on Louie, Hawaii Five-0 and Suddenly Susan.

Thoughts? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Thumbs sideways?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News

1. That’s terribly unfortunate!

2. Jason says:

I very much look forward to that being cancelled.

3. Laur says:

While I still like Dane Cook, I want him to stop trying. America has turned on him, and I’d rather him not be faced with more rejection.

4. whatevs says:

Oh the humanity.

5. Simon says:

Wow NBC wants to continuously be in the dumps! They should have just added him to that abortion better known as “Are You There Vodka, It’s Me Chelsea”

6. Earl says:

I hope it’s just like ‘Louie’ except with less controversial subject matter.

7. Dane Cook Stinks says:

Very much looking forward to the cancellation.

8. Ram510 says:

I’m confused why do people not like Dane Cook now, what happened?

I must have misses a memo but I can’t wait to see see this new sitcom. But seriously why do people not like him anymore

• Allie says:

Yeah, I don’t get it. Not much for sitcoms but I thought Dane Cook was cool?

• jj says:

bc he’s an unfunny d bag. i never understood you people who thought he was funny in the first place. you like dane cook if you still laugh at your frat brothers when they pull a finger and fart. and hey, if that’s what floats your boat? cool. but i think the world deserves so much better…

9. Amy says:

why is NBC the breading ground for garbage anymore? Whitney?! Are You There Vodka,It’s Me Chelsea?! Now this?! COME ON!!!

10. JJ says:

I’m not a fan, but I hope this works out for him.

11. Dave says:

This could be really good, as long as he doesn’t write it. In everything I have seen him do, that he didn’t write or have a major hand in, he was great. But his standup, and the movies he helped write are AWFUL. So maybe NBC will realize this.

12. Benjamin Kabak says:

I LOVE Dane Cook. What a comedian

13. Nichole says:

Usually I would say that I find him to be very sexy and will watch for the eye candy alone, but he’s kinda looking old in that picture. But I still don’t get all the hate. He has a good delivery, and I think he would do well in a sitcom. I think we should at least wait to hear the concept before we start counting down to cancellation.

14. Tom says:

It’s funny on one hand NBC has my favorite comedies, Community, Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock, which are all brilliant especially Community. But their ratings are low (why America?) but everything NBC is green lighting seem like bad ideas….in a way I guess it’s good so the quality programs can stay on air despite the low ratings and they are forced to cancel their new ones.

15. Heather says:

I think his stand-up is horrible. I have never laughed at one of his “jokes”- I have to turn him off every time they air his stand-up crap on Comedy Central. However, I think he does fine at acting. But a 1/2 sitcom on NBC is not the way to go. It will be cancelled after 3 episodes.

16. Sarah says:

I actually think he’d be much more successful in a “dramedy” format rather than a flat out sitcom. His turn in “Dan in Real Life” was really, really great. He was playing a much more serious and subdued role, though still funny, and I really enjoyed it. I just think he has it in him, and if he settled down a bit and stopped with the hyperactive in-your-face stuff, he could really shine.

17. Amanda says:

So many people are quick to judge. Why don’t we wait to see what he can do before we make harsh judgement. I hope it works out for him. He’s not a terrible actor and I personally find him to be hysterical. He deserves a chance. What’s the worst that can happen? It gets cancelled like so many other shows before it?

18. Jessi says:

I actually love Dane Cook. A lot. My only worry would be that it would be so watered down and “normal” ized that it won’t be funny.

19. Annie says:

Yeah, I must have missed something too. I think he’s super funny! If he puts together a show I’d definitely give it a chance

20. JB Smooove says:

I just don’t get NBC. They have great shows and then put up trash like Whitney or Free Agents. So Dane has 50/50 shot in my book.

• jj says:

check out the original free agents on BBC and you’ll see why hwood tried to copy it. i actually don’t think it’s been nearly as bad as people have made it out to be. id watch it before New Girl which has got a huge following for no reason other than that zooey is just so twee.

21. Matt says:

Dane Cook has definitely “borrowed” other comedians materiel for his own personal gain. That was what the whole Louie episode was about that features Dane Cook. Used to enjoy him, now I too can’t wait for this to get cancelled.

22. ScottB says:

Is he going to steal all of his material from “Louie”? Dane Cook is not funny. He just repeats his jokes and gets louder each time until people laugh just so he shuts up. There is a reason why he has no movie career. He is not talented.

23. jrs says:

Worst news ever!

24. Plum says:

…because NBC doesn’t suck enough, now it can suck and blow. Thank you Dane Cook!

25. kris says:

let me guess, you’re a guy?