Ratings: Terra Nova Digs Up Solid Numbers, Two and a Half Men Dips, Dixie Builds on Gossip

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Fox’s long-in-the-making Terra Nova on Monday night premiered to solid (though not astoundingly dino-mite) numbers — 9.2 million total viewers and a 3.1 demo rating — and held steady throughout its two-hour run.

The other show many eyes were on — Two and a Half Men and Part 2 of its season opener — was expectedly down some 30 percent from last week’s all-time high (28.7 million viewers/10.7 demo rating). But make no mistake, Men is still outperforming Charlie Sheen’s unplanned February swan song episode, by 38 and 71 percent, respectively.

Jason O’Mara Talks Terra Nova‘s Big (Yet Small) Surprise, Much Dino Action, and a Major Death

Men‘s strong showing helped Mike & Molly premiere to all-time highs in total viewers (14 mil) and in the demo (with a 4.9), swelling 26 and 15 percent from its year-ago debut.

Elsewhere for CBS, 2 Broke Girls settled into its regular 8:30 pm time slot with 11.6 million viewers and a 4.5 rating, up 40 percent from what Rules of Engagement did here a year ago. Leading into that, How I Met Your Mother (10.6 mil/4.4) dipped about 10 percent from its own premiere.

Gossip Girl Boss Dishes on [Spoiler Alert]‘s Surprise Pregnancy

Over at The CW, they’re whistling Hart of Dixie (1.8 mil/0.8), as the freshman charmer built on its Gossip Girl (1.4 mil/0.8 rating) lead-in by 29 percent in total viewers — and saw its own tallies grow throughout the hour — even opposite stiffer competition. (That one was for you, Walden Schmidt!) Gossip Girl itself dropped 26 percent in viewers from last year’s premiere, and was down a tenth in the demo.

Dancing With the Stars Recap: Jive Balkin’

Elsewhere on the night:

* Dancing With the Stars (16 million total viewers/3.3 demo rating) dropped double digits to deliver its lowest-rated performance show ever.

* NBC’s The Sing-Off this week mustered just 4.4 million viewers and a 1.7 rating, down 8 and 10 percent from its opener.

* In the 10 o’clock hour, Castle (11.9 mil/2.9) was down 10 percent but still led in viewers, while Hawaii Five-0 (11.1 mil/3.3) topped the demos. The doors to NBC’s Playboy Club closed just a bit more, as the freshman drama dropped 19 percent from its debut, to under 4 million viewers and a 1.3 demo rating.

Tell us what you thought of Monday’s premieres and share your opinion on how Men seems resolved to keep Ashton Kutcher partially naked as some sort of cheap appeal to women and/or crutch joke.

Comments (132)

• Two and a Half Men is over for me, I thought the season premiere was bad but decided to watch part 2 last night, but it was even worse. I didn’t laugh once, without Charlie it has lost it’s sparkle, Jake has been great over the last couple of seasons and he only featured for a tiny 20 sec’s last night. It’s time to give up on two and a half men and try and find something else.

Comment by Martina – September 27, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then watch New Girl.

Comment by dessy – September 27, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please … the New Girl was absolutely PAINFUL to watch! I’ve laughed more getting a root canal!

Comment by Jesse – September 27, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow. You must have hilarious root canals.

Comment by Kristin – September 27, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sounds like your root canal is a comedy show that CBS would endorse. Seriously! :D

Comment by Tania – September 27, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jesse, thank you for proving that not everyone is stupid enough to think a show is good or funny just because the critics say so. The pilot episode of new girl was one of the worst pilots i’ve ever seen make it to actual network. and definitely the worst that has gotten such effervescent praise. i’ve never gotten a root canal but i think i’d rather have one than rewatch that pilot.

Comment by jj – September 27, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly, I can’t wait until the ratings number for New Girl is shown for tonight’s episode.

Comment by Nash – September 27, 2011 03:19 PM PDT
      • I give up on New Girl. I watched episode 2 and it was just painfully boring. Not a single laugh. I will not watch episode 3.

Comment by S – September 28, 2011 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree, I am very disappointed in New Girl I was really looking forward to it and I love Zoey D. but her character is so annoying and self depricating. I couldn’t even get through half of episode 2 and also what happened to Coach? I felt like the guy who replaced him was the (don’t take this the wrong way) but the token African American guy b/c oh they needed a minority. The show is not funny and to me the way they are portraying Zoey’s character she is just pathetic and sad (i.e no self respecting woman would ever do the things she did after her b/f cheated on her). This will be deleted off my season pass manager.

Comment by Lena – September 28, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “Coach” aka Damon Wayans Jr is on the ABC sitcom “Happy Endings that debuted midseason last year and was picked up for a full season this year. So when the pilot for New Girl was picked up for this fall, they had to replace him because he was contractual obligated to remain with Happy Endings (which is funnier anyway).

Comment by mirvin365 – September 28, 2011 08:00 AM PDT
    • I have been a devoted fan of two and a half men since it’s first showing. To this day I record any episodes aired and watch one as I go to bed–reason; so I drop off to sleep laughing. I’m very disappointed in the new program–not at all funny , a faithful viewer is lost.

Comment by Walt Potock – September 27, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!! It’s no fun w/o Charlie!! Charlie was full of sacarsm and arrogant and a drunk and that is what made the show so funny. Walden is just sad and pathetic. Was it supposed to be funny to watch him ask his ex about shampoo and toilet paper.. and then steal toilet paper? I have to admit that I discovered 2.5 when Charlie Sheen was going all sorts of crazy last winter and I fell in love with the show. And last night was the last time I was watching.

Comment by Marie – September 27, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. I gave up ten minutes in. Kelso in Men was just painful today

Comment by Diane – September 27, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That fact that you found Two and a Half Men funny prior to Sheen’s firing is mind boggling. CBS has the worst comedy line up on television. It’s unfortunate that so many viewers who flock to these programs think that this is COMEDY.

Comment by Tania – September 27, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • excuse me but HIMYM and the big bang theory are two of the very best comedy shows on television right now and they both reside on CBS. I dare you to give me one measly example of a show better than those two and I will scoff and burst into laughter at your choice because there is no doubt it is lackluster compared to the two afforementioned CBS shows.

Comment by Ty – September 27, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well 2.5 men was great, it was the traits of all the characters and how they co-existed, there were some brilliant episodes but you had to be a regular viewer to get the in jokes, last season Jake and Eldridge and their Jackass-style stunts was hilarious. Alan’s skinflint ways came up quite often too and made for hilarious comedy. Charlie becoming a kids entertainer was also fantastic, I could go on, but I’ll end with just one word “Squab” :)

Comment by Martina – September 27, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night was a great night of tv! Loved terra nova. Liked hart of dixie. Alphas finale was great and 2 broke girls hilarious. :)

Comment by Leah – September 27, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sort of like the 1st episode but they needed a better team of writers that were ready to give us intelligent SciFi and not a series based on lazy writing. Maybe we will get lucky and the scripts will get better early on, this did happen with the failed series Defying Gravity but that happened late in the series and it required a great deal of patience waiting for scripts that were engaging and sharp. In case anyone wants some specifics about what was wrong, well here ya go. 1st, orientation, only for the kids really and not the entire family get briefed? 2nd, After seeing that his son is hurt dad fails to apologize so we get to waste time with a rebellious son and a lame plot element that has been over used. 3rd, Not using orientation so the audience can learn about the various beasts, environment and the danger of the 6′s, 4th, After leaving the crowded and dirty life they had where our family struggled to survive why is the new spacious and clean house not more appreciated, where is the thanks to what ever gods these people believe in not thanked for this amazing bounty. 5th, Joy ride to a still really during the 1st 24hrs really? There could have been much better ways for our family to have been forced to enter a a forbidden area then taking a joy ride where they knew dangerous beasts lived and enemy humans might attack them.

Okay, so the 1st episode lacked intelligence and greatly missed the mark with blame going to the writer Kelly Marcel, Allan Loeb & Craig Silverstein who failed their audience and opted to write a script using a tired Hollywood formula.

Comment by Joseph – September 27, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Defying Gravity was an amazing show!

Comment by Russ – September 28, 2011 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THOSE were the effects Steven Spielberg & co. were working on for an entire year?!? It looked like a SyFy original with a slightly larger budget. RIDICULOUS.

Should’ve spent that time working on the script.

Comment by Chmarin – September 27, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know what you mean, hopefully in the episodes to come there will be more character development

Comment by Gerald – September 27, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that.

I dropped out of it even sooner than with Playboy Club, and that should said it all.

EPIC FAIL Spielberg.

Terra Nova doesn’t have an inch of the awesomeness that fills Falling Skies.

Comment by Polly – September 27, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not particularly sad about the poor showings of NBC’s new shows. Most are pretty bad. Plus, anything that helps justify keeping low-rated but cheaper shows like Parks and Community on the network is fine with me. The only new show on NBC that I was and still am looking forward to is Smash which looks terrific. I’m just afraid that with all this musical overkill that viewers might not tune in. They should have left the Sing-Off where it was. They are ruining a nice little December delight for me.

Comment by Michael – September 27, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What about Awake with Jason Isaacs? It should also be pretty awesome.
          I agree with you for the most part about NBC’s new offerings, but I do think Maria Bello is awesome in Prime Suspect and I think it’ll get better since it’s been noted that they’re toning down the chauvinism following the pilot episode.

Comment by DL – September 27, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I am looking forward to Awake too.

Smash, in my opinion, will be the adult version of glee, with adult dramas instead of teenage dramas.

Comment by Polly – September 27, 2011 12:34 PM PDT
    • I agree with you and look, this story revolves around million years ago and what so called Earth felt like just any tourist escapade at those thunderous times? well…..Just too beautiful and too easy. I’m almost waiting Jack or Hurley come up to that place.

Comment by Rifqi – September 28, 2011 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BTW, Matt, those numbers for Terra Nova aren’t solid, you know that. :D

If it were any other show, yes, then the numbers would be solid. But for a show with so much hype and promotion… Nuh-uh.

Comment by Chmarin – September 27, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can always, always count on you for a comment ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 27, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha, was just about to say! And didn’t the pilot cost like $20 million to produce? A premiere with a little over 9 mil viewers is definitely not good enough, but I guess we know who’s filling the TVLine coffers ;)

Comment by Sam – September 27, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The ratings were certainly bad considering the hype… but one thing to note on cost… a lot of that cost will technically be spread out over the season since a lot of the cost was for sets that wont be incurred over every episode.

Comment by Travis – September 27, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova would have been more interesting if the dad wasn’t saddled with so many kids, and if he were single or divorced from his wife and they had to rebuild their relationship. Starting the show with a “big happy family” is extremely boring; there is no chance of a romantic spark between the show’s adults. And the teen boy was horrendous, I prayed a dinosaur would eat him. He bogged the show down. The two daughters were plenty, and the smart daughter was way more charming than the bratty son. Better to have the older daughter meet a cute brooding ranger boy, who’s also dating the orphaned wild girl and be done with a simple good girl/broodyboy/bad girl triangle.

Comment by Plum – September 27, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they have “so many kids” because one of them WILL eventually get eaten? Just a thought…

Comment by Alicia – September 27, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OK, I just LOL’d, thanks for that. So the writers “stocked them up” to fend off inevitable cast attrition? ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 27, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That makes sense. Though, I’m thinking from the start they intend to kill off one of kids (down the line) as a tear-jerker/climactic storyline. So by casting more offspring than “necessary” they have a dramatic, main character death built in.

Comment by Alicia – September 27, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Too many kids and they’re all annoying. Maybe they should have the parents feast on them and throw the scraps to the dinos

Comment by joe – September 27, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to hear that “The Chew” flopped in ratings. Any word on daytime tv ratings?

Comment by Amanda – September 27, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea what everyone is talking about here!
    Terra Nova was completely awesome. I thought New Girl was going to be my favourite new show, but Terra Nova easily is!
    The ratings though, 9 mil. I hope that’s good enough for something so expensive. So I’ll have something to watch next season after the inevitable cancellation of fringe. :(
    Still Terra Nova…… wow. Interesting characters, great acting, beautiful effects, mysteries. I loved it. It was worth the hype AND the wait as far as I’m concerned. I cannot wait for the next episode already!!

Comment by Dessy – September 27, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m surprised that so many people either didn’t give the show a chance to begin with or are complaining about how bad the show was….which show were you watching? To each their own, but I though the plot was intriguing, the actors were pretty good and other than a few CG effects that were obviously green screen – I sat for the entire two hours and compleely enjoyd the experience. But I forget about Americans and their constant need for frivolously ridiculous tv fare such as 2 1/2 Men and Mike & Molly!

Comment by davey – September 27, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • don’t blame that on what country we reside in! i’m american and recognize crap when i see it. and that crap is called New Girl.

Comment by jj – September 27, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad that 2 Broke Girls appears to be doing well.

Comment by Andrea – September 27, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Terra Nova pilot was boring as a 2-hour chunk of exposition, but I expect it will become a reasonably entertaining weekly hour show. Whether that justifies the budget, I don’t know.

Comment by Jen – September 27, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to know how Playboy Club did. I’m enjoying it but I don’t want to get attached if it’s close to being cancelled.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1.3 A18-49. Making its case to be the 1st one canceled. Bad, bad, bad.

Comment by Chmarin – September 27, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Damn!! Maybe Eddie Cibrian can go back to soaps. He’s at his best when he’s naked.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • P.S. Did it get less than 5 million total viewers? I know demos are important, but I’m more interested in how many eyeballs actually watched the show. That’s why I don’t work in advertising!

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How was Hart of Dixie? I dvr-ed it but I hear it’s being compared to Sweet Home Alabama, and I cannot STAND that movie.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s worse than Sweet Home Alabama, actually.

Comment by Gemini – September 27, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That might make me like it.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL, do let us know. I thought it was horrifically bad. Poor Rachel Bilson. Good actress; awful show. But she chose to do it.

Comment by Gemini – September 27, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • i’m not saying she is horrible.. but i am curious what makes you consider rachel bilson a good actress. in what vehicle did this tour de force of acting occur?

Comment by neen – September 27, 2011 01:50 PM PDT
    • I was surprised how much I enjoyed Hart of Dixie. It isn’t an original concept OR an outstandingly executed one etc., but it IS charming. I hope it will stick around.

By the way, who the HELL does the marketing for CW ? Basically their BEST performance last week was a barely over 1.0 18/49 demo and 2millsometthing total viewers. They should reinvent themselves ASAP, only a few short years ago the fantastic Veronica Mars got CANCELLED with ratings similar to last week’s BEST CW-performer…just saying.

Comment by peller – September 27, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t exactly groundbreaking, and I buy Rachel Bilson as a doctor for less than a second despite the fact that she is indeed rather charming here. Still, it’s a cute show with a better than decent cast,including ex-Y&R hottie Wilson Bethel, who is reason enough for me to tune in :).

Comment by ChrisGa – September 27, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, also: it hurt to see the far superior and still amazing Fringe being advertised on Terra Nova, knowing that Fringe will likely never get one-half the audience that Terra Nova will get on a bad day.

Comment by Jen – September 27, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lets face it, Fringe is not the kind of show that can pick up new viewers unless they start from scratch. I just hope that shows like Chuck and Fringe getting the runs they have indicate that Networks are taking diversity a little bit seriously… it’s nice to see some love for true creativity. I can cope with season 4 being it for Fringe… although I’d like a bit more… but what I really want is for the Network to let them know well in advance if they have to wrap it up.

As for Terra Nova – I also hope it picks up viewers when it goes to 1 hour episodes. Sometimes 2 hours can be too much to commit, you know? And it shouldn’t be a show where you had to watch the first episode to get in. Fingers crossed. But most people I know who watched it thought it was awesome.

Comment by Ben – September 27, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two Broke Girls was hilarious! This comedy definitely has potential. The end of How I Met Your Mother was good as well. It definitely reminded me of HIMYM of old, which was both funny and heartwarming….

Comment by kikay – September 27, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rules never did 4′s in the demo last season. That has to be a typo.

Comment by Michael – September 27, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, fixed. (I have about 11teen sheets of paper working here, transposed. It happens!)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 27, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova is too “family-friendly” for me, and I didn’t appreciate the “A Family is Four” billboard with a clearly-defined man and woman. In 2149, the world will be an inclusive place where two men or two women can head up a family, not the traditional man/woman combo.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grow up… geez

Comment by Eli – September 27, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously.How dramatic, Looking so deeply into something for things that aren’t there.

Comment by Kath – September 27, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Let me guess, you are a married heterosexual woman with at least one child, right? Exactly. Now don’t tell me how to feel. No one needs to look very “deeply” because it was right there on the surface.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Grow up”? This has nothing to do with “growing up”, it has to do with being insulted on a basic human level.

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think you’re missing the point. In an apocalyptic future where people can only have two children the ones whose parents don’t want them are probably just killed. Not adopted. There probably aren’t any kids for the gay citizens to adopt. That government who is complaining about over-population probably loves gays. And yes, no I’m not a woman with one kid. I’m a gay man.

Comment by Adam M. – September 27, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m glad someone is being rational here. Thank you.

Comment by Eli – September 27, 2011 01:08 PM PDT
        • Sivat, stop looking for problems that aren’t there. You are only hurting your own cause by doing so.

I’m from the Netherlands. To me the way lesbians/gays are treated in the USA is just beyond comprehension. The idea of people not being allowed to marry because they love someone of the same sex is so ridiculous I can only laugh at it.

However, for reasons explained by Adam M. just below here, what you are getting angered about is completely unrelated to any of this and getting angry about this is pointless.

PS: Don’t be too sure everything “will be better” in 2149. Predicting the future is a very risky business as any stockbroker can tell you ;)

Comment by Eli – September 27, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s what Sivat does. Always makes ridiculous comments looking for people to argue with. Just ignore.

Comment by tripoli – September 28, 2011 12:29 AM PDT
    • It’s to be expected from the FOX Network.
      You can’t have a gay American Idol and marriage is between a man and a woman.
      They are an unevolved lot.

Comment by Laurel – September 27, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sivat, you are the kind of individual that sets back the GLBT community 20 years. Eli is right – you need to get some perspective and channel your righteous anger to those times where its appropriate. Which may be some TV shows on some occasions but isn’t every TV show on every occasion.

Comment by Ben – September 27, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova was amazing.

Good TV provides a mental break. Great TV inspires.
    Terra Nova and its team did a great job! Truly inspiring.

I briefly review it here: http://wp.me/p1u3X2-6M

Comment by James Reardon – September 27, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would the CW be “whistling Dixie” over that stinky debut performance? Just because the show did better than Gossip Girl? GG, sadly, was a disaster. Hart of Dixie still had horrible numbers! Claiming it did well is kind of like saying being in debut for $10 million is wonderful compared to being in debt for $10.5 million. Let’s keep things real here. HoD stank up the Nielsens, just not as much as my poor GG did.

Comment by Gemini – September 27, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone is entitled to their take on things.
      But I can’t imagine how HART OF DIXIE, airing after the declining GOSSIP GIRL and opposite TWO AND A HALF MEN (coming off an all-time high), MIKE & MOLLY (hitting an all-time high), DWTS and the buzzy TERRA NOVA, was expected to do anything but not fumble its lead-in.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 27, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt – did any CW show other than TVD break 2 million viewers with their premieres? IIRC, Nikita, TSC, H8R and now Gossip Girl all had lower numbers than Hart of Dixie. Is this correct?

Comment by Denise – September 27, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not your guy for that. The fine folks at TVByTheNumbers.com may be able to help you out.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 27, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe Ringer had more than 3 Million for its premier but I could be wrong.

Comment by Just Me – September 27, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re wrong. Ringer had around 2.8 million for its premiere. Secret Circle also broke 2 million for its pilot.

Comment by Gemini – September 27, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Secret Circle’s pilot hit 3 million (barely). The second episode did just a little over two million.

Comment by Autumn – September 27, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the playboy club. I think it has a good story line. I dont think the acting is that bad, there are wrose out there. Can someone tell me what im missing without being so rude. Thanks

Comment by Katrina – September 27, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think a lot of people wrote it off from the beginning, due to the subject matter, honestly. It’s better than I expected it to be, but I think its initial numbers for episode 1 doomed it.

Comment by XK – September 27, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the Playboy Club better than PanAm.
      PanAm didn’t live up to the hype and the storyline jumped around too much from past to present.

The storyline on the Playboy Club was better.

Comment by Lisa – September 27, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really interested by the fact that a positive spin of that is being put on Hart Of Dixie building on Gossip Girl, while TV By The Numbers is going for the negative spin of it being the CW’s lowest rated scripted freshman premiere.

I’m also interested by the solid but not stellar performances of FOX’s big fall blockbusters, X-Factor and TerraNova are both doing decently, but not as well as everyone seemed to have anticipated.

Comment by Alex – September 27, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ONLY good news for Terra Nova was that the ratings stayed steady throughout the two hour premiere… certainly, the numbers have to be lower than the studio projected/expected. I thought it was decent but not good, so the numbers are what I’d expect. We’ll see how many people come back next week.

I thought Hart of Dixie was pretty awful. Ignoring the lack of realism (which I knew going in would be an issue, and therefore didn’t worry about), Rachel’s character was annoying, the plot was obvious, and, in time-honored CW fashion, they had half a dozen musical interludes in the first twenty minutes, all of which hammered home the theme of that 2-3 minute chunk (she’s in the south… quick, play some country music while she walks. she’s going to sleep… quick, play a song about being alone. good lord)

Maybe it got better after the first half hour, but I did not stick around to see. I tend to like Rachel Bilson but she was not enough to save this show for me.

Comment by XK – September 27, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is screwing the pooch with the sing off. they should have put it on a different night, premiered it earlier, or kept it as a short run series. I hope this season isn’t the last.

Comment by free – September 27, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I love this show, but it should have been a few weeks in December like usual or a summer series. It is a guilty pleasure that is good in small doses.

Comment by Matt – September 27, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After all the hype, I had to force myself to watch the whole 2 hours of Terra Nova. All I can say is – It’s no LOST.

Comment by Dee – September 27, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOST is a really odd thing to compare Terra Nova to. Terra Nova isn’t at all very mystery oriented, and has been advertising itself as a family show, which LOST was not. Totally different creators too, you’re looking at the spectacular special effects and adventure of Speilberg versus the mystery and allure of Abrams.

Comment by Alex – September 27, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like the new two and a half men, its better than its been the charlie sheen stories just got old, charlie drinks to much and has sex with a bunch of random women, i loved the first 5 or so season of this show then i stopped cause it was always the same stories

Comment by chris – September 27, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ack!! Really getting worried for The Playboy Club now!! Doesn’t anyone like primetime soaps like Melrose Place anymore??

Comment by Sivat – September 27, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE THE ORIGINAL “MELROSE PLACE!” Which is why I loved “Revenge!” Is “The Playboy Club” similar to Melrose? Then I’ll give it a watch! :)

Comment by Brittany – September 27, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the second episode of resuscitated “Men.” Now that the shadow of incest was removed, the writers are free to exploit gay jokes. Is it time to kill off Ashton Kutcher yet?”

Comment by Jack – September 27, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY ARE YOUR AMERICAN TV VIEWING FIGURES FOR GG SO LOW? I DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW IT CAN BE NO1 ON ITUNES NOW, COME OUT RANKING 2ND OVERALL LAST YEAR IN THE TARGET DEMO? BUT STILL ONLY GET 1.4 MILLION???
    IT JUST DON’T MAKE SENSE??? DO THE YOUNGER PEOPLE WATCH ONLINE? I THINK WE GET MORE VIEWERS FOR GG IN THE UK.

Comment by MARC – September 27, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah you get more viewers and you also forgot the caps lock on :D

Comment by Polly – September 27, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Polly – thank you for being kind. Too often people just attack each others for simple mistakes. Being yelled at by all caps is not enjoyable. You took the right approaching in addressing it.

Comment by MAS – September 27, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova was just too much of a Jurassic Park remake for me, I didn’t care much for it. Hart of Dixie was sweet, and that was about it. I’d need to see a few more episodes to tell if it will be worth investing my time in. No mention of The Lying Game ratings?? I’d like to know how it stood up against all the new shows.

Comment by Tabs – September 27, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those are BAD numbers for Terra Nova after all the money spent and promotion.

Personally I thought the premiere was really bland – dodgy CGI, weak characters and bad pacing…

Comment by Remote Patrolled – September 27, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I beg to differ.

Comment by Mosun – September 27, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG just laughed so hard after reading your comment about a Dino eating the son lol, I haven’t watched it yet but it doesn’t sound like the show is what its hyped up to be.

Comment by Patricia – September 27, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the full two hours of Terra Nova and it was watchable. It was better than Falling Skies which I found uninteresting from the get go and gave up on after 3 epis. We’ll see how long I last with Terra Nova

Comment by Lisa – September 27, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes , but again it is way to similar to Falling Sky, again , family focus where you have bratty kids giving crap to their parents that are just trying to stop them from becoming a bunch of lemmings. This was the same lame plot element they used in War of the Worlds, and just about every failed SciFi series. You do not need the rebellion in the family if you have enough interesting plot elements and a sharp script where they deal with issues as a team. This is again also why Torchwood just failed so bad , you dont need to be fighting with your team , and why that series is probably done.

Comment by Joseph – September 27, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Hart of Dixie…
    Am i a guy? Yes. Am i only watching this because i’m madly in love with Bilson since i was 14? Yes. but it is actually nice.

Comment by João Amaral – September 27, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next week 2.5 man will fall again. Asthon is awful there.

Comment by Dana – September 27, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Terra Nova was absolutely amazing! The actors are good, the story’s good, the special effects are good, considering it’s a tv-show we’re talking about, and not a blockbuster movie.
    And I think eveyrone should cut that son some slack. He missed his father, yet at the same time hates him for going to jail and leaving behind a fractured family, and he had to leave his gf behind when they went to Terra Nova. He’ll come around.
    It’s that Mira girl I don’t like. She’s all “oh look at me being tough, oh I have no parents, so I’m being bad ass and in control”. Ugh.

Comment by Dominique – September 27, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her name’s Skye, not Mira.
      Mira’s the leader of the sixers.

Comment by Dessy – September 27, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right! Mixed up the names for some reason. But I meant Skye.

Comment by Dominique – September 27, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tera Nova terrible! I’ve seen better effects on discovery channel. And the story and production quality were Syfyesqe. SS should stop lending his name to these poorly conceived and exicuted dogs

Comment by Jaime – September 27, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really!!

Comment by CrazyAboutTN – September 27, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you Jaime. I can’t believe how utterly terrible Terra Nova was. Had high hopes but it was just plain bad. I may watch another episode or 2, see if it can improve but based on the horrendous first episode, I doubt I’ll stick around.

Comment by tripoli – September 28, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked HIMYM, although the ending was a bit ominous. Where was Jake on 2.5 Men? He had like one line, and no one even cared that he’d been left at the house for the entire episode. (Even though his dad moved out at one point!)

Comment by SK – September 27, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Over the years there have been plenty of episodes where Jake was virtually nonexistent or not there at all, but it was a bit odd that he had that one part and then never seen, mentioned or anything again.
      HIMYM, I didn’t find it ominous; in earlier episodes Ted has always referred to Robin & Barney as Aunt Robin & Uncle Barney.
      I’m finding the Men to be funny. I was personally a bit tired of Charlie, drinking and women, and the sarcasm came from the writers, not Charlie. Ashton isn’t playing Kelso; there really is a difference between the characters.

Comment by kathy – September 27, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TERRA NOVA did OK in its debut but haven’t seen it yet. Plan to watch it ON DEMAND and Hart of Dixie was horrible. Hope this Rachel Bilson-led series last one season tops. The same couldn’t be said about Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher this season and I think CBS went too far from last week’s season opener. Don’t know if this ended up being its last or perhaps next year.

Comment by kevin – September 27, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra could have done well as new colonists out to build a new society against unknown elements but they combined a warring faction and a secret plot to take over the future, a missing son and mysterious symbols on rocks instead of first working on character development then added the other elements. You are on one side and another side starts shooting you shoot back but later don’t question if you are on the right side?

How much do you know about the Dad? The Mom?

Is the leader of the camp a dictator? Seems to be since there is no apparent governing council and his word appears to be absolute.

They are working the LOST formula by adding subplots upon subplots hoping to keep the audience involved.

We are invited into a new world and soon after we get there we see a teenage girl in a bikini. (Nothing wrong with that but how does it fit in?) Instead of the teen boy saying “What’s this?” “I want to see a dinosaur.” “What is that over there?” its his new girlfriend saying let’s sneak out of camp and go for a swim.

Comment by dewthemax – September 27, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t gotten around to watching Terra Nova yet, but Hart of Dixie really wasn’t good. Rachel Bilson just couldn’t pull off the role, the writing was cliche and even bad, and it was melodramatic. I definitely won’t be tuning in next week, despite a few promising side characters. Hawaii Five-O was a good episode though! It looks like that’s the only show I’ll be watching on Monday nights so far. And is it just me, but have most, not all, of the new pilots been underwhelming?

Comment by AT – September 27, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Bilson trying to act like Christina Yang from Grey’s Anatomy is horrible. I use the term acting very lightly…it seemed like her OC character just grew up and is playing doctor for the day.
    It is completely unbelievable in every way to even hear her spitting out terms that doctors may use. I am sorry people, but I watched for about 5 minutes before I laughed and gave up.
    Fish out of water maybe…people once again mocking the silly southerners. (let’s see how many stereotypes there were in the 1st episode alone: 1. The Belles aka Scarlette wanna be’s 2. Hunting (Don’t bother Daddy when he’s hunting!) 3. Blonde girl marrying the other guy instead of the Mayor (any guesses why?) 4. Football 5. Yankee girl can’t be our doctor 6. I didn’t know I was preggers after 1 time…and he still left me! 7. Horrible fake drawls 8…shall I go on!?

Comment by S. – September 27, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems like Chuck was getting better ratings then what the Sing-off is getting. Go figure.

Comment by Becca – September 27, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched HIMYM,2 Broke Girls and Hart Of Dixie and DVR’d Terra Nova.Hart of Dixie was cute will need another episode as I’m undecided but 2 Brok Girls just got so much better I was laughing the whole way through!Great show.

Comment by Elle – September 27, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova didn’t live up to the year and half of hype it has gotten from Fox.
    It reminded me of a movie on the SyFy Channel.

Comment by Laurel – September 27, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got really ticked off last night because my cable provider here has apparently dropped Fox Network, and I had really been looking forward to seeing the two hour premiere of the new series Terra Nova.

Luckily for me Hulu provides a next day airing of this program, so I was able to watch it this morning. I’ll have to say I was quite impressed. Though not quite as cram packed with CGI Jurassic critters as the inspiration for this series, there were enough to keep it exciting, especially when the inevitable encounters with giant economy sized reptilian carnivores occurred.

The cast, including Stephan Lang as a the somewhat larger than life benevolent dictator named Nathaniel Taylor, seems quite talented and interesting. And the existence of a splinter group known as “The Sixers” lays the foundation for potential intrigue and human conflict.

Lang’s background is predominately Broadway and off-Broadway, and his acting style sharply reflects this. He seems to be naturally trying to project his character beyond the footlights, which is something not ordinarily seen with TV media. This could be a distraction or it could actually add a kind of unique flavor to his image as the Leader of the colony.

If there is any one thing I would criticize it would be the overly-Utopic atmosphere exhibited inside the colonists’ compound. Everyone walks around as if they were in an idyllic commune, and although that is only background stage business played by the bit actors, to me it is somewhat distracting.

I can tell right off the bat that this is probably an expensive series to make, so no matter how good it is, the ratings will have to be pretty hefty for it to survive.

Comment by Frank B – September 27, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t there a much-anticipated 2 hour premiere from Fox that premiered to around 9 million viewers a while back? Oh yeah, Fringe. Look where that’s at now.

Comment by Jon – September 27, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Terra Nova and I think it has possibilities. However, because of the cost and the delays, I think the ratings expectations were kind of out of line. It was a two hour premiere that went up against Monday Night Football and the established Two and a Half Men. It did fine, considering the competition. And maybe a two hour premiere isn’t the way to go?

Comment by Marie – September 27, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, I love reading about ratings, but with all the information to get out there, you sometimes skip stuff. You never actually tell us in this article what Two And A Half Men’s ratings are from last night. Same with last week’s X-Factor premiere. You talked all around it but never once mentioned total viewers or rating. Just how it compares to everything else or year-ago stats. Please don’t lose sight of the forest for the trees!

Comment by Joe R – September 27, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I Met Your Mother was awesome last night. That show never disappoints me. It made my whole night. I am liking Two Broke Girls, though I think some of the jokes are a little obvious. They need to find a way to break out of the ordinary.

Count me as one of the viewers Two and a Half Men lost. I feel great shame I ever even watched it even in the Charlie Sheen days. It is off my DVR now.

DWTS…yeah, I’m just not digging this season.

Comment by Amber – September 27, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they cancelled lie to me and chicago code to have a spot for terra nova……not worth it

Comment by Jenna – September 27, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Chicago Code was horrible and Lie To me wasn’t all that shut up.

Comment by Solo – September 27, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed Tera Nova because it was escapist fun without being awful like Two and a Half Men. Also I have a soft spot for sci-fi and fantasy shows. My only nitpick was that I was surprised the kids did not get eaten or at least be chased by dinosaurs prior to this incident. I was hoping one of them would be eaten but hey maybe they won’t be so annoying since they are now fully aware of the risks.

Comment by tvaholic – September 27, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post