Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: New Gay Warbler to Come Between Kurt and Blaine!

It looks like the honeymoon is over for Kurt and Blaine.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Glee has tapped up-and-coming theater actor Grant Gustin to play the recurring role of Sebastian, a gay Dalton Academy Warbler who sets his sights on Blaine.

Major Glee Spoiler Alert: Big Developments For Rachel/Finn and Kurt/Blaine in Episode 5

Both Fox and the show’s producers declined to comment, but the buzz is that Sebastian is the polar opposite of Kurt in every possible way. He’s more like the male version of Santana in that he’s both promiscuous and kinda-sorta scheming.

“He’s our villain this season,” an insider tells me. “It’s a major role.”

Consider yourself warned, Kurt.

Glee producers found Gustin — whose credits include playing Baby John in the national tour of West Side Story — after an exhaustive, weeks-long casting search.

Glee‘s Chris Colfer: Season 3 Plot “Makes Me Love Kurt and Blaine Even More”

He’s slated to turn up in this season’s fifth episode.

Thoughts? Excited Kurt and Blaine’s squeaky-clean romance is going to get a little less squeaky-clean? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. YAYGRANT! says:

Personally, I think it’s going to interesting adding some drama into a perfectly written relationship because honestly NO ONE has a perfect relationship, and if someone does, it’s a problem! I agree that they shouldn’t push Santana and Korovsky to the sidelines. Hooray for Grant tho!!! :D

2. Richard says:

ugh finally.

To be honest I like DC and I like Blaine.

I just HATE klaine. It was a horrible beginning and Blaine was a totla ass to kurt previous to the relationship. Kurt deserved someone honourable. I’m a kum shipper and proud of it. to bad it won’t happen. we need to see more variety of the gay. Krut and Blaine are too alike. Not to sya they’re the same person because they’re not….but Kurt and Sam would have been awesome (and the original way)

whatevs. Kum won’t happen but I hope klaine ends. Blaine can stay on the show, and I love warbler numbers. I just can’t stand klaine.

3. Craig says:

I love Darren Criss; however Blaine is a poorly developed character. I like this new twist it adds conflict/teenage angst and the potential for character growth because there is very little between Kurt and Blaine. Hhhmmmmm, teenage angst, character growth, and an actual plot. . . I see Dave ridding in on a pirate ship.

4. joanna says:

Introducing points of tension for Kurt and Blaine will only make the story more interesting, so I’m on board with that as far as it goes.

That being said:

What Glee and FOX TV executives PROMISE us during the summer:

No guest stars. Focus on the main, original characters. Back to Basics.

What we get:

Idina Menzel. Vanessa Lengies. LaMarcus Tinker. Grant Gustin. (And does a Warbler appearing mean we’re going to get inundated with more irrelevant Warbler showy musical numbers that detract from the story?) Damian McGinty. Samuel Larson. Lindsay Pearce. TGP Alex. Harry Shum’s two parents in multiple episodes. Emma’s parents (both well know guest actors). Brittany’s mom. And that’s just who we know of at the point.

Finn is virtually dropped from the first two episodes back. Ep. 2 barely had any Santana, Tina, Mike, or Mercedes.

Continued glitzy songs that, while pleasant to hear and see, don’t tell the story in their lyrics or performance. Frenetic, over the top scenes with Rachel and Kurt instead of the deep, powerful, realistic-feeling interactions they shine at conveying. Soap-opera stories high on drama, instead of the very realistic, true to life struggles of kids who feel different trying both to fit in and, at the same time, striving to be themselves and shine. Surface bells and whistles and over-the-top drama instead of soul-stirring writing that evokes emotion from deep within.

• marc says:

guest stars meaning, the ones who take the entire episode away from the cast’s character improvement.
      For example,
      Season 1 – Kristin Chenoweth (April Rhodes) – “Rhodes Not Taken” and “Home”, Neil Patrick Harris (Bryan Ryan) – “Dream On”
      Season 2 – Gwyneth Paltrow (Holly Holiday) – “The Substitute” “Sexy” “Night of Neglect”
      Here in these episodes, the guest stars took most of the screen time away from the cast time. Most plots in those episodes are irrelevant (though Hilarious as they may be).

5. Annette says:

How about no.

6. Isagleek says:

Why have a male version of Santana when you have the real thing? Santana kicks ass in a way no other can. :)

This may sound just weird but.. I LOVE KURT, I DISLIKE BLAINE, I LOVE KLAINE! :D it would be nice to see the guy fall for Kurt instead. Why does Kurt also have to be the one getting hurt, dumped or pine over some one? I would like see jealous Blaine. By making this new person come into the perfect klaine picture, in which Kurt would be jealous, depressed and what not, it’s just making Kurt an unlikeable character. Destroying a relationship if all else fails is fine, destroy an important character like Kurt, and the show is done for. Kurt is an attractive guy, I don’t believe no one will fall for for him and yet the whole world loves Blaine. (aka Darren Criss, Ryan’s favorite Cash Cow $_$ mooooo)

7. Livy says:

I would just like to say that Grant Gustin went to MY high school, and I went to school with him for a year. WAY TO REPRESENT GRANT!!! The Governor’s School for the Arts, Norfolk, VA, the best high school on the Earth!!

8. Anna says:

Oh, yes, please! Let Blaine have a new love interest so we can set free Kurt (and Chris) from the boring Klaine (and repeating questions about Klaine/Blaine in interviews)!!!

• Martha says:

Plus: more room for Kurtofsky!

• courtney says:

Yes! Free Kurt!

But I’m not up for Kurt and Karofsky being involved romantically. Plus surely Karofsky was a senior and graduated already? Oh who am I kidding? It already totally stretches incredulity beyond the breaking point that Blaine is a junior after he spent last season being the obviously older, wiser mentor to Kurt, so Karofsky could have been a sophomore last season too. I guess we’re also not supposed to notice Darren’s bald spot that would be visible from space or Max’s seriously receding hairline. Nice going with that “realism” Ryan. LMAO.

• Eddy says:

Blaine is in love with Kurt, 10 bucks on him being oblivious to New Gay Warbler.

9. Emelia. says:

I can’t see how this could be legitimate because Blaine doesn’t attend Dalton any more.

10. flipped says:

I’d rather have the new gay guy go after Karofsky. More interesting than going after Klaine.

11. Rachel says:

I for one, can’t wait to see this contribute to the break down of Klaine. Sebastian paired with the gay bar scenario? LOL I guess we’ll see how strong this boring little ship is.

12. Nate says:

I agree with those clamoring for more development of the gay plotlines for Karofsky and Santana before introducing even more for Kurt, but I have to take issue with Ausiello’s characterization of “kinda-sorta scheming” as being “polar opposite of Kurt.” I am still amazed at how many people forget how predatory Kurt has been over the course of the series. Between his over-inflated ego (which looks to be finally taken down a few notches this season) and his extreme self-centeredness (hence why he’s a good fit for Rachel lately), Kurt has been quite the schemer and I look forward to some obstacles being thrown in the way of what seemed to me to be a very fast-moving Kurt-Blaine relationship.

13. John says:

Santana is out to Brittany and Karofsky, and Karofsky is out to at least Blaine, Kurt, and Santana. My point is that the gay population within this small group is so much higher than it would realistically be in midwest Ohio.

(Thank you for missing the big picture by nitpicking.)

14. Maria says:

Blaine = Most overrated character.

15. Ash says:

Did anyone else see that cliffhanger at the end?

Anyone who says Darren can’t act is proven wrong

• Beam says:

True! True! I’ve been waiting for someone to point that out! His “I want to so badly but…” look totally got me. That cliffhanger made me squeal at the end!

• zogs says:

lol are you kidding? he’s totally wooden at delivering any kind of dialogue given to him. there’s more to this show than just singing. he has yet to convince me he’s a capable actor.

• Brenda says:

As you asked so I will ask you -are you kidding? Darren always put appropriate inflection in his dialogue making it anything but wooden. For example, at the end of the first episode, the way he asked Finn “Did I do something wrong?” and at the end of the second episode the way he unenthusiastically said he was auditioning for Bernardo or Officer Krupke because he really wanted the Tony role. I also love the flirty way he acts and talks with Kurt – anything but wooden IMO.

• Eddy says:

And the Booty Camp scene.

16. CJ says:

Gimme Blaine over Kurt any day. I don’t care much for their story line, but I’d rather watch Darren perform over most other Glee cast members.

17. Kris says:

It’s been mentioned already in other comments that I’ve seen, but if they really have to go with the love triangle thing, can’t the guy be pursuing Kurt for a change? We haven’t seen that on the show yet, and it would be nice to have Blaine be jealous for once, in contrast to last season where Kurt was the jealous one who was stuck waiting around for Blaine to finally take notice of him. I like Klaine, but Kurt has been my favourite from the start and it sucks that he always has to be unhappy for one reason or another.

• Emma says:

It ttoally agree with you! 100%! I wanna see Blaine jealous for once!

• A says:

I agree with you. I think it would have been much more interesting if would have been pursuing Kurt instead of Blaine. I just hope that this storyline will be played for more laughs instead of actual drama. I was looking forward to a funny Kurt season, after season 2 he is due a light year without all the drama and putdowns.

18. Ben says:

I wish that Blaine could have a story line without kurt.
    I’m all for shipping Klaine but without any sort of individual story line the character is starting to lack any depth.

19. oopsydaisy says:

love love love DC and Blaine.

20. tyler says:

Sorry, Darren Criss is a beautiful boy… and what seems to be an equally beautiful human being. He’s going to be around for a long time.

21. wiredream says:

Only on planet GLEE would a Kurt land a Blaine. Blaine is so out of Kurt’s league – in looks (that’s opinion, I know, and it’s mine), sexuality (a sulking, dour, mean-spirited eunuch vs. a swooning, swarthy-with-a-heart-of-gold hunk), talent (also on what planet would a Kurt think that with that shrill, risible voice, he’d get into Julliard? He’d be laughed out of auditions), personality (for all the anti-bullying of last season, ironic that no one’s ever called out Kurt’s being an arrogant, condescending, verbal bully himself) – that it’s laughable. Oh, the scenarios these writers come up with!

• iWoman says:

Your opinion is terrible and you should feel terrible. A Blaine looks like an Urkel next to Kurt, especially in the weird wardrobe they have him in this season.

• jb says:

If anyone on the show had any chance to get into Julliard, it WOULD be Kurt and his voice. Do you even know anything about classical arts? What kind of school Julliard is?

lol, Blaine has zero of the traits you just commented on. Personality? Where? Hunk? Maybe before that bald spot gets out of control. Nice on you to pick out of Kurts not so finer traits, but at least he has them. He also has positive ones. Like any real person. Blaine is a caricature used to sing and dance with zero depth.

So yeah, he isn’t in Kurt’s league. He’s in a black hole.

• Lily says:

IN “Blame it on the alchohol”, Blaine said that Kurt was just like Karofsky !!! So Blaine did say that Kurt was like a bully because he did not want to accept Blaine the way he is (with his Bi-tendencies).

22. geekers says:

hehehe, ds show is getting lil’ bit gay. what are the odds anyway.

23. Faith says:

well i LOVE blaine so you can lick my ass!!!

24. Emma says:

Who can hate Blaine?! Theres nothing wrong with him! He’s obviously a good addition to the show and, seriously, Kurt needs him like hell!! Blaine is so sweet, just watch the second episode when he wanted to give the lead role to Kurt. Obviously he cares about him. Plus, his voice is absolutlely breathtaking. I have to say, Blaine and Kurt are my favorite characters on Glee. Plus Artie of course. But stop HATIN!

25. Lyra says:

Wow… this is to the guys fighting over whether Darren Criss/Blaine should be liked or not – Are you all 14 or something? You’re giving me so much second-hand embarrassment…

26. cutiegleeluvr says:

uhhummmm whaaaaaatt?? no more klaine?!?!?!?!?!! theyre my fave couple!!!! and i was hoping for a really hot steamy bed scene with them soon!!! :'( and EVERYONE loves blaine/darren.<3 like really? where did u get that from???

• Lily says:

Kurt is now what Emma used to be… Don’t quite understand what made Emma change her mind and hop in bed with Mr Shue. I guess those pills are working…

So what will be the ultimate turning point to make Kurt hop in bed with Blaine ? Fear of losing Blaine to the maneater? Ew… And who said that Blaine will not return to the maneater after Kurt gave himself away ?

27. shannon says:

Jonathan Groff Is gay…Love him! He is amazing and I would love to see more of him on glee

28. who says:

I love darren, but I strongly dislike blaine. He just doesn’t belong at all to me. He is beyond boring. Great eye candy, but that is it for me. Klaine is even worse. Ugh, they just irritate me. I have tried to like them, but I cant. I don’t even see them as a couple. That is just me of course. So yeah, anything to make blaine at least somewhat interesting, and to give klaines perfectly boring relationship some drama. You need that. We may not like the drama that they give the couples, but it is really needed. This is how you see if you can overcome the really really bad things that could happen in life, in the relationship. I know some of you, well most of you won’t agree with me, but finchel and wemma are the only couples on this show that really deserve a season with less drama, and more happiness. Especially finchel, and they are showcasing them beautifully. Not too much, but you definitely know it is there, and that they will be very important as the season goes on. I don’t see why that can’t happen for klaine. I don’t wanna go to sleep everytime they are on the screen.

29. localvore says:

Alright.

A. I’m a definite Klaine shipper.

B. Tension = good.

C. Break Kurt and Blaine up, and RM has potentially lost this viewer.

D. I understand not everyone likes DC and his character, but this girl does. Remember, it can’t all be DC’s fault if Blaine comes off as a little boring. RM hasn’t really given the viewers much character development to go off of with him…

30. janto says:

i hate Blaine, Kurt needs a real man like puck.

31. judy says:

yessss!!!!!!!!!! lol adoroo de mais *-*

32. Kate says:

A lot of the people on here need to get over themselves. Darren Chris is talented and is liked by a lot of people. If you don’t like him or glee. . then just stop reading and move on to something you actually like. . gawd. I do want drama between the two but I don’t want something like this guy breaking them up or something, love Klaine so much and really don’t want someone breaking them up…

33. Rumbleroar says:

All the Blaine/Darren Criss haters are laughable. Especially the ones that say he has too much screen time.
    If you were actually a Gleek, you would read the interviews. Darren is a Gleek himself – he wants the other series regulars to have more screentime than him, it’s just that Ryan Murphy knows that the Klaine ship has a lot of fans and that more people will continue to watch Glee while Darren is in the spotlight.
    Anyway, Darren deserves it. He’s worked hard to get where he is today.

• who says:

Haha. DC fangirls make me laugh. He is not all that. Very cute, but very mediocre. I don’t hate blaine I guess, but I don’t like him either. He is just soo blah. Darren is not a good actor IMO. Chris and Cory beat him out in that department easily, but finn’s story has not started yet. But in all honestly I don’t really mind letting blaine shine. But klaine is more boring than blaine is, and that is a whole lot of dull.

• C.J. says:

Darren is no dummy. He knows exactly what to say to his fans and the media. Why does he ship Klaine? Because without it, he wouldn’t have been on Glee.

34. Karen White says:

soooo, they’re saying blaine will suddenly develop a stupid streak and go for a bad boy instead of a sweetie like kurt? NOT

• Lily says:

Except when sweet Kurt turns into a egocentric ambitious and annoying person… Then Blaine will understand that his sacrifices are pointless.

35. bubba cakes says:

threesome !!! <3

36. Ariadne says:

Hey! I don’t agree with you people who dislike Blaine and desagree even more with people who dislike Darren. I just think everyone at glee is better at diffent music style. I never liked Kurt, I find his storyline intereting but too dramatic, anoying. U guys say Blaine is overeacted… well Kurt is much more, he´s always deppresed or smth like that anyway yesterday I found Chris Clofer AMAZING, definetly, he has born for singing Broadway kind of songs but when it’s about pop or comercial songs darren kicks his ass.

I find BOTH really good actors and talented in their own ways. I find Darren great…I’ve fallen in love with him since first day I saw him, everytime I watch glee i just think “Wish I had a boyfriend like blaine” He’s a REALLY good actor he looks at Kurt SOOO inlove,yesterday when he performed smth’s coming he was so good acting and has a really sweet voice.

One’s who watched Darren out glee knows HE’S TOO OUTGOING and gesticulates a LOT, blaine is very very less overeacted than Darren being himselve. Also I must admit I would have prefer a Rachel- Blaine story… I don’t like Blaine that much he’s too perfect guy, too GOOD so I think it would be perfect to see Blaine interested in someone else to brake this idealizing and anoying idea of perfect boy in a perfect relationship.

DC is really a carismathic boy and that’s I guess what RM saw on him, maybe we should have to wait a few more episodes to know Blaine a little more and maybe find out a more charismatic guy like DC… I just know I was SO in love with Darren and my friends used to tell me oh no! but when they started to listen or see DC out of glee they felt in love too… I think we should wait, blaine now is the ND new kid and is adapting to it.. I believe he’s going to rule this season and shine… we must wait

37. Sara says:

I love Kurt.
    I hate Blaine.
    I ship Kurt/alone/HappyinNYC

38. Meredith says:

STAY CALM
    STAY CALM
    STAY CALM
    STAY CALM
    STAY CALM
    AAAAAGGGHGHHHHH
    /RAGEQUIT

39. Lily says:

Alex (glee project).. run away, the man eater is coming …

40. Spencer says:

Finally. A cute gay guy on the show.

41. Leila says:

Oh.My.God. Seriously?
    “Oh, he’s the reason people watch Glee!”
    “What? Ew. no one likes him.”
    “Um, yeah they do!”
    “Well, your wrong.”
    GUYS, COME ON.
    this is a TV show we are talking about. NOT some gossip crap you heard at school.
    It’s a TV SHOW. Everyone needs to just deal with it and get over who they do or don’t like on the show. They are there for a REASON. God.

42. Yin says:

Do I give a damn about Blaine/Darren? No

Do I give a damn about Kurt? Yes

My question is why the hell introduce another triangle? Yes I’m a Kurtofsky shipper and I personally enjoy the sight of Dave struggling and fighting for the acceptance of himself and the continued progress of both his forgiveness and friendship for Kurt and hopefully in my eyes a relationship too because nothing is more beautiful than a love that conquers all even trauma from bullying or the fear of having no one to help you while your in the closet. And if you have any negative views on my right as a Kurtofsky shipper please kindly keep them to yourself. I don’t complain to you all why I don’t ship Klaine so what gives you a reason or a right to complain?

I do actually approve of Klaine and like it to a degree cause what I want in most cases with these ships(Kurtofsky & Klaine) is for Kurt to find someone who makes him happy which is what Blaine is doing. I just prefer to have Dave trying harder to make Kurt happy and approve of him because there is so much more trial and conflict for him to earn that love because of their past experiences together.

Personally I don’t hate Blaine whatsoever either I actually consider him a poorly written character by the writers and performed by Darren in way too much of either an over-the-top manner when he’s happy or an unconvincing manner when he’s serious, depressed, or performing one of his important lines.

The introduction of a new character does appeal to me but I find him more appealing as an antagonist rather than a reason to stir up drama with Klaine unless he can dish the dirt in the most sadistic of ways and doesn’t literally come off as nothing more than a male santana archetype than please don’t make him nothing more than a love triangle excuse that pops out of nowhere please make him something equally entertaining as Sue Sylvester trying to foil New Directions left and right everytime~

43. Elllis says:

I like Darren Criss, but I don’t like Blaine; just because of what he’s done to Kurt – if Finn did even some of the things Blaine has done to Rachel (such as have her help him serenade another girl, question her parent’s raising of her, tell her she’s not sexy, compare her to her personal villian, convincing her to be less of the unique charismatic girl that makes her her, and so on) he’d be off of the show because of the many complaints from the fangirls.
    I don’t mind Blaine being on the show, just as long he either treats Kurt like the masterpiece he is, or if he dates someone else so Kurt can have that special someone who will.

• Eddy says:

Gurl. He has been treating Kurt like a “masterpiece”. All the stuff he did before they got together is what friends do.

• Ellis says:

“Gurl” I’m a guy.
        He still isn’t treating Kurt well. In fact my best example is the prom episode when they two were dating.
        My friends do not question my parents raising me, inform them that they need to educate me on gay sex because I don’t ooze gay and sexy, compare me to someone I hate during the middle of a disagreement, and/or convince me to be less of the person that I should be proud to be.
        I think people are just so excited that Kurt has a boyfriend that they are blinded; its like a bad boyfriend is better than no boyfriend.

• Max says:

He treats Kurt amazingly well – and he definitely puts Kurt and his wishes before his own. I would have killed for a boyfriend like him when I was in high school.

44. fiona says:

What I can’t fathom is why every gay character in this show has to be romantically linked to another gay character. Can’t he be the enemy and that’s it? Maybe teasing kurt and/or blaine

Furthermore we need more karofsky in here!

45. Max says:

“Sebastian is said to be a conniving, ruthless and promiscuous predator who is very much the anti-Kurt.”
    Honestly, I don’t think Blaine would ever be into a person like that, not when he only has eyes for Kurt (and vice versa). I think they’re just doing this to stir things up, but I don’t see any lasting consequences from it. I’m not worried.

46. Cy says:

SUPER EXCITED!!! :D Much as I love Kurt, I do think Blaine’s a little too good for him. Hope this new guy is a bit less whiny/needy. Also, seeing Blaine get courted would be friggin’ ADORABLE. XD Thank you, Ryan Murphy!!

47. Bookworm says:

The whole Kurt is gay, Klaine storyline bores me now. I think Kurt was a far more interesting character before they decided to make him best friends with Rachel (whatever happened to him being besties with Mercedes) and boyfriends with Blaine.

Honestly, I’m pretty over Glee as a whole now. I’m kind of watching just to watch, but I missed the whole first half of the premiere and have absolutely no urge to go find it somewhere. The songs bore me, the plot bores me, the characters bore me. This show is quickly moving it’s way towards the television graveyard.

48. Ryae says:

Honestly, I think that they Kurt and Blaine are great for each other.

With a new warbler, and evil warbler, I believe it will make a huge change in the dynamics of the show. Which is what GLEE needs!

Blaine/Darren, has talent, He can sing and dance, which is Glee. Yet, he is also a stronger more masculine character, opposite of Kurt. Which makes them such a interesting couple. He fits the part because he is an attractive young man. Not only to TEENS but to adults. Also, he can pull off the role of being homosexual.

The character of Blaine fits well with Kurt’s character, because you would expect Kurt to be with an attractive man. Since Kurt is so high fashion, and generally takes good care of himself. So does Blaine.

In conclusion, glee is amazing, Blaine and Kurt are amazing. Let’s just all agree that No actor or actress will cater 100% to every single person in the world. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It ends there.

49. jackie says:

THEY HAVE FIVE NEW WRITER’S YET SOMETHING IS MISSING FROM GLEE. THE JOY IS GONE.
    ITS TO DAMN DRAMATIC IS ANYONE HAPPY? WHY BRING BACK RACHEL;S MOTHER.
    NOW A NEW GAY CHARACTER HAS TO BRING TENSION BETWEEN KURT AND BLAINE.
    SPOILER ALERT; MAX ADLER WILL BE IN A GAY BAR, AND RUN INTO KURT.
    THEY COULD HAVE WRITTEN MORE EPISODES FOR ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING
    CHARACTER’S BUT THEY HIRED A PRETTY BOY INSTEAD. THE SHOW’S A MESS. IT
    WON’T LAST ANOTHER SEASON.

50. Beth says:

Anyone saying that Darren Criss is an awful actor has obviously never watched AVPM. If he doesn’t act very well on Glee it is because of the storyline rather than the actor himself. Frankly, I think this will make it quite interesting!