Awkward Creator Previews the 'Romantic and Heart-Wrenching' Season Finale

Like Awkward‘s Jenna, we have fallen hard — for her, Matty, Jake, Sadie and the rest of the colorful characters on the freshman MTV series. Alas, this Tuesday at 11/10c marks the end of Awkward‘s season as Jenna prepares for her first high school formal. But will she go to the dance with sort-of boyfriend Matty? Or will Jake finally win her over? And what’s in store for mean girl Sadie?

TVLine asked creator Lauren Iungerich to preview the special one-hour finale and give us some hints about Season 2. After dishing up some scoop, she also offered a little advice to all the viewers wishing the show was more than just a half-hour long.

TVLINE | How do you think Jenna has changed since the pilot?
She’s finally getting to a place where she’s not fighting, trying to change people’s opinions of herself. She’s getting to a place where she’s changing her opinion about herself. Like instead of trying to get other people to decide who she is, she’s decided who she is for herself, which has been a journey. Sometimes she’s there, and sometimes she’s not there. She’s getting to a place where she really is embracing the person that she is and getting comfortable in her own skin.

Awkward‘s Beau Mirchoff Previews Matty’s Love Life and the ‘Sad, Scary, Exciting’ Finale

TVLINE | What can we expect from the one-hour finale?
I would say a lot of twist and turns. A lot of surprises. A lot of things come to head – her relationships with Matty and Jake and her feelings about herself, as well as the resolution to the letter.

TVLINE | Does the letter play a big part in the finale? Will we learn who wrote it?
It plays a big part. I will say that there are pieces in both episodes.

TVLINE | Where does Jenna’s heart stand when the finale starts?
Where it stands is, she’s with Matty. She’s finally gotten everything she wanted from him when the finale starts. He wants to be with her. … He’s still working it out, how to be a guy with a girlfriend, and I think that’s true for a lot of boys. It doesn’t come as easy as it does for girls. Matty is a really good guy, but he’s still uncomfortable in his skin whereas Jenna is more comfortable in her skin. That’s one of the things that he likes about her. Sometimes, she doesn’t see that herself, but he sees that about her. And with Jake, here’s a guy who is unabashed about how he feels. It doesn’t matter that Jenna has a stigma or that Jenna is a little bit on the outside. He’s always seen her as being really unique and interesting and he isn’t afraid to befriend her. The more he knows about her, the more he likes her. He’s not afraid to let her know. That’s the difference. Both the boys let her know how they feel about her; they just do it in different ways.

MTV Renews Awkward for Season 2

TVLINE | Is the parent test the next step in Matty and Jenna’s relationship?
I would say that’s a very good thought. You might see that in Episode 11.

TVLINE | The first part of the finale is setting up a big dance. Are there any particular school dance TV tropes we should watch out for?
I designed, wrote and directed the finale, so I designed it to feel very much like what it was like for me. There are such magical moments when you’re going to a formal, and this is Jenna’s first one, so that’s such a fun rite of passage when you’re a teenager. I try to make it feel as magical as my first formal. … The finale is probably the most romantic and heart-wrenching episode of the season.

TVLINE | Matty and Jake are keeping a lot of secrets from each other. Does that come to a head in the finale?
I would say it just extends the secret line a little bit further. I would say it’s still a secret.

TVLINE | What can we expect for Sadie in the last episodes?
I would say for Sadie she’s going to get her comeuppance.

TVLINE | Where did the “You’re welcome” thing come from?
That came from Molly [Tarlov]. We had all the actors into the writers’ room when we were writing the season to talk about their characters. Molly and I were saying something to each other, she said something really sassy to me, and after she said it, she said, “You’re welcome.” I just stopped there. I started laughing so hard, and I said, “That’s Sadie’s new tagline.”

Awkward Burning Questions: Will Jenna Choose Matty or Jake? Who Wrote the Letter?

TVLINE | You created these 12 episodes in a bubble. Going into Season 2, now that you’ve seen some of the fan reaction, are there certain things you want to change or play up?
The only thing that I have been thinking [about] that the fans have been asking for is to really delve more into the supporting characters and get to know them better. I agree with that. I think that show will have a better life if we spend more time with them and give them richer stories. Jenna will always be the eyes into the show, and she’s the glue that keeps the show together… but I think we can break out of Jenna’s world a little bit more and get to know the other characters and follow their journeys.

TVLINE | Will we see Matty’s brother again?
You’ll see Matty’s brother again in Episode 12, and he’s really fun.

TVLINE | Is there anything on your Season 2 wish list?
In Season 2, all I can say is it’s going to be more complicated. This love triangle is going to be juicier. Where we leave off in this season, I can guarantee you next season is going to trump it. My expectation is that we are just going to be digging deeper and really exploring the experience of growing up in a way that is so universally truthful, painful, and funny. We have a lot of places that we can go.

TVLINE | Has there ever been any talk of doing the show as an hour-long? People are always tweeting that they wish Awkward was longer.
I see that all the time, too. The network has never approached me about making Awkward an hour. I tend to think that comedy is fast and furious. I think the reason why people want more of it is because it’s working. The story is propelling and really working. If we turned it into an hour, we might put too much air in the stories and it might lose the obsessive qualities the fans are [enjoying] with the show. I would say to the fans to write the network and tell them to give us more episodes. They should give us a bigger order. If they give us a bigger order, then I could give them more episodes.

1. Lauren says:

Instead of a one hour episode, they should do what they’re doing tonight and have two half-hour episodes. I was relieved when I read that, I didn’t think a twenty minute episode was enough to wrap up the season. Doesn’t sound like we find out who wrote the letter, which sucks.

2. Poppy says:

Awkward is an amazing little show. Even though I’ve been out of high school for many years, the angst and uncertainty of those years still resonates with me. I had a Sadie in my life too, so I’am looking forward to seeing what happens to her tonight.

3. Beth says:

I love this show, it is my guilty pleasure. I may be alone but I think her mom wrote the letter. Not to be mean just to make her kid try to be popular. Just my guess!

• Jenna says:

NO, you’re not alone! I totally think the mom wrote the letter! Just the way she was on the phone and handed her the letter seemed a little fishy, because she was being so exuberant and ignored Jenna after she gave her the letter…I just had this niggling feeling! I don’t know how I’d ever forgive my mother if she did something like that to me though, so that might not be the best direction to go in for Jenna.

4. Daphne says:

I really, really like this show. It’s the freshest, funniest, most well-written show I’ve come across in a long time and I love all the main and supporting characters. Matty and Jenna have amazing chemistry! I’m looking forward to tonight’s finale and the rest of season 2 =.

5. Macy says:

LOVE this show.
    OMG cannot wait for the finale tonight!!

GO team Jake!

6. jay says:

I love love this show.

Dont give two hoots about the letter, the real mysteries are why does Tamara fancy someone as ugly as Ricky Schwartz and how did Jake and Lissa ever get together.

Ahh well, I hope season 2 isnt too far away and is for more episodes.

7. Sophie says:

After I watched the first episode of this show, I went online and watched another 6 in a row, Brilliant show, very well written and directed. 22 minutes a week is just not enough. I understand why they are reluctant to go for an hour, Why mess with a winning formular? but I do hope MTV are taking notice of the great feedback sign them up for more than 12 episodes next season.

8. Jaclyn says:

I CANNOT believe Jenna’s mom wrote the letter..

• Angela says:

loved the end!
      it made me so happy that she gave Jake a chance! but at the same time, Jenna and Matty’s reaction when Matty shows up made me tear. Haha, they’re really just great actors.
      I had a feeling the mom wrote the letter. Wonder if season 2 will focus more on the mother-daughter relationship.
      But seriously! Next Year?! Wayyy too long to shoot 22 minutes !
      I want to see more! I NEED to see more!

9. Ashley says:

Im so sad about tonights episode. i cried! -i know, AwKwArD… but im a girl! I just REALLY like Matty. I think he actually loves her. when she has that dream (b4 i realized it was a dream) i was SO happy!… hopefully her and Matty will get back together. I like Jake, but Matty & her have such great chemistry… and you always go back to your first love. OH AND I CANNOT BELIEVE HER MOM WOULD WRITE THAT LETTER.

10. ashley says:

Oh, and I agree about the 22 min an episode. tonight was good. (the 2 episodes in one night) maybe if MTV should get rid of jersey shore and invest more time in making it possible for us to see more of Awkward. (not that i hate JS im just sayin, awkward is the ishh!)

11. Jamie says:

I loved tonight’s episode. I am still hoping that in the next season Jenna & Matty will rekindle their chemistry and FINALLY be together publicly! Although I like Jake, I don’t think he is as interesting as Matty. Longer episodes or just more episodes would definitely be a good idea!

12. holly says:

Loved tonight’s episode…Matty & Jenna broke my heart though. Hopefully they’ll find there way back to each other next season, they have such great chemistry!…Can’t wait till next season

13. WoW says:

Let me begin this by saying that I’m a guy, and YES, a straight guy, but this show is just too legit to not watch. And even by saying what I’m about to say will probably further push the papers along to get my male membership revoked (or at least suspended), but I wanted Jenna to choose Matty. Reason being..? They’re both dorks at heart! And, neither of them know how to express themselves to one another… Jake is a great guy, but just because he trumps Matty’s shyness with his shining charisma doesn’t necessarily mean they’re a better match.

Ahh whatever though, it was a great season and I’m definitely looking forward to next season.

• Lisa says:

you are SO correct. I wanted Jenna & Matty to be together. it depicts hs relationships to the tee! guys don’t always know how to express their feelings and although I don’t agree that 2 ppl who don’t know how to express themselves should be together…i liked matty & jenna. i think it’s hard when BOTH ppl in the relationship are awkward and don’t know how to deal with their emotions and express them, but Matty & Jenna worked. I liked watching their journey into finding themselves TOGETHER….Jake is a great guy…maybe for Tamara! cannot WAIIITT til seaon 2…2012 cannot come any faster.

14. jessi says:

loved the episode tonight! part of it broke my heart, but then of course the other part i was super excited about it! it felt like jenna finally got what she’d deserved all along, JAKE!, a little sad that maybe if she’d held out a bit longer she’d have gotten it in matty, but in real life it hardly works that way. matty would be an ass for life. and the letter thing wasn’t much of a surprise, after they axed sadie as the writer it was only a matter of time before jenna figured it out–but still dramatic!

15. Nalah says:

When is season 2 going to happen?

16. mikala says:

The show would be much better it it was an hour long. I find myself disappointed when it’s over but excited when it’s Tuesday. When does the next Season start?

17. Anna says:

I can’t get enough of this show. A half hour is not enough this show should be an hour atleast 3 times a week!
    I cant wait for next season! I want it to start now!

too good of a show!!!

18. Dulce Garcia says:

i loved the episode tonight!!!! i was soooo looking forward for JENNA AND JAKE to be together.. i love JAKE!!!! he is soo cute and he is such a great guy!!!!! I DID cry a little when MATTY showed up at the dance… hahaha… but i think that JENNA deserves JAKE and JAKE deserves JENNA… Matty can get over it… aw… BUT it was so sad… it broke my heart….. CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 2!!!!! Why does it have to be until 2012?!?!?!!
    IM GOING TO DIE WAITING FOR IT!!! 2012 is just too far away!!!! we are just in September!!!
    BTW…. CANT BELIEVE HER MOM WROTE THE LETTER!!! but its actually something you would expect from her mom… hahaha..
    TEAM…. JAKE!!!!

19. roro says:

i loved this episode. It was so sad that she and matty broke up and i do think that they should get back together. Jenna and Matty are GREAT together. awesome chem and just awkwardly beautiful. jake can get over it and might be good for tamara. AND I CANT BELIEVE THE MOM WROTE THE LETTER but cant wait to see what comes from that

i cant wait for the next season. does anyone know when in 2012 does it start???

20. Ameerah Ali says:

Omggg…I lovee Awkward….But i cant wait for Season 2…:P
    I think Jenna and Matty should be together….
    I like Jake he is cute and well an awesome guy…But i always liked Matty….And well Jenna deserves to be happy but is it weather she will be happy with Jake..:O
    I have a feeling it was her mom who wrote the letter just for her kid to be popular and well help her,….But if she did write the letter thats not good…She shouldnt have she could have just talked to Jenna and stuff…
    Cause i dont know how i would have forgive my mom if she did that..
    I hope Matty and Jenna gets together and Jake finds someone really nice..:)
    Loveee Awkward…Im sooo excited..:D

21. connie says:

I actually don’t think that her mom wrote the letter, that would be too obvious don’t you think ? Im not sure but I’m in love with this show ! I want jenna to be with matty :D

22. Rose says:

wow, The show was great. I love Awkward! I cannot wait for the next season. This is the first show that could keep my attention! I cannot wait to see how Matty tells Jake about him and Jenna’s escapades! I want to see it all get unrevealed! Jake is still completely clueless about their relationship. Matty had Jenna before Jake ever did, but he never told him…. even though they were bestfriends. He told Jake about what happened but never said who… I just have so many questions… I HOPE I’m not dissapointed.. Haha

23. Adriana says:

I think that matty and Jenna are good together,even though she chose Jake I think that matty didn’t know how to tell his best friend he was with Jenna but he hurt her.in season 2 all secrets are going to come out.Jake is going to know the truth about the both of them and somehow Jenna and matty are going to be together.

24. taryn says:

I absolutely love this show! My friends all think I’m a complete idiot and although I have been out of high-school for a while I’m obsessed! I am besotted with all of the well thought of themes and the crazy way that one can relate to the characters. That finale had me in fits. Some gut wrenching moments along with some tears even! Love this show. Can’t wait for season 2!

25. Suzy says:

Ahhhh I was crushed after I saw the finale! It broke my heart when jenna chose jake. I mean I like jake alot and it’s really hard to hate him cuz he’s such a great guy but I always loved mattie<3 he's more real than jake and I do believe he loves her he just doesn't know how to express it….. Gosh people we teenagers don't always know what we truly feel. Butttttt I hope jenna give matty another chance and OMG I was shocked that it was her mom who wrote the note even though it made sense. I CANNOT wait for season 2 I wanna know what happens with everything and everyone!!!!!!!

26. Rebecca says:

I love this show. I can not wait for season 2! I think her mom wrote the letter because she cares about her and sees that shacks struggling and unhappy. Remember in the beginning of the season all Jenna wanted was to fit it. Her mom just wanted to help her although the words seem harsh on paper that’s kind of the way her mom is, and that’s brutally honest. The letter I believe was mean more as a ” slap in the head ” to kind of say stop feeling sorry for yourself . Her mom really loves and cares about her she just had a weird way of showing it. But the letter was defiantly taken out of context, especially because it was her mother that did it, now I kind of realize the true meaning behind it because had it of been Sadie i would say it was meant to b hurtful.

27. Sarah says:

i absolutly love this show. i actually cnt wait for season 2. WHEN DOES IT START?!?!?!?! and i was sooo sad when Jenna chose Jake over Matty. I like Jake and all, but i think that Jenna and Matty are better together because both of them have things that have raelly made their lives hard, while Jake’s life is easy and carefree.

28. raaaas says:

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULDN’T LOVE AWKWARD.
    they are all such good actors! jake’s just awesome, and hes so sweet.
    but why does matty have to be so mysteriously sexy!
    they both have their pros, wonder who Jenna’s gonna choose next season!

29. Kay says:

I LOVE this show! I finally go to watch the season finale and it brought a tear to my eye when I saw the heartbreak on Matty’s face but he waited too long! Jake is a great guy however, i do hope that jenna and Matty end up together in the end he just needs to grow some “gonads” as Tamara said. Does anyone know when season 2 begins? I heard it was early next year?
    GOOOO TEAM MATTY!

30. Bridget says:

I think Jake is a really good guy and Jenna deserves a good guy…. but i just love jenna and matty together. I hope she realizes how much he cares about her and that he isn’t afraid to show it to everyone. I am really hoping they end up together somehow next season. and i cant wait for season 2!! when does it start?!

31. July says:

When does the second season start?
    I see it everywhere, expect the date…

Please help!

32. Lauren says:

OMG love Awkward to death I thought I was addicted to jersey shore but this is the best I just can’t wait for season 2 omg I could die best show to come out MTV great job just don’t cancel my show!

33. Tara says:

I can’t find anything on when the second season is gonna start. Does anyone know??

34. Julie says:

I think this show is great! Even though I liked Matty, I think she made the right choice in choosing Jake. The comments here make me think that so many girls are inexplicably attracted to guys who treat them like crap. It’s not about Jake being more charismatic or having less troubles in his life. It’s about him being a more decent person. Matty constantly made Jenna feel insecure and crappy. Going to the very first episode – a guy who takes your virginity (or has sex with you at all) and immediately afterwards tells you no one can know he likes you, doesn’t deserve your time and effort. Jake isn’t ashamed of Jenna and can treat her the way she deserves. Maybe Matty could have grown into that too, but until then he doesn’t deserve her. If she had stayed with him she would have been saying that it’s okay to treat her that way. Jake’s awesome!!

35. laikA says:

I’m so in love with this show…its brilliant,truely !!! Just wish season two would come a little quicker!!!curiousity is killing the cat here…grrr… Needs more epi’s tho…12 is way too little

36. June says:

Love, love, love this show. Seriously disappointed that I no longer have a favourite show to look forward to. This show is extremely witty, Clever and laugh till you cry, funny. It reminds me of my favourite Marian Keyes books. The last time I enjoyed a show this much was the first few seasons of Greys anatomy. Awkward is my guilty pleasure. Seriously can’t wait for it to come back on. Xxxx

37. kyla says:

I cnt wait for the next season I didn’t think I would like the show at first but its so real tht u cnt help but become addicted to the show

38. Danielle says:

I’m mad. . .Matty is so obviously in love with Jenna and she broke his heart. They belong together! I was so frustrated when she told him it was too late, I wanted to jump through the tv and yell at her!!!!! Haha

39. Kay says:

I ABSOLUTELY love this show , i sit here & watch the 1st season all day & never get bored haha [ Awkward ! ] but i never knew when did SEASON 2 START? , soo does anybody know ? I hope im not late …

40. Lauren says:

I LOVE this show and I am absolutely devastated she didn’t end up with Marty DEVASTATED!!!! Why on earth would she not you should always go with your heart I hope to god next season sets in right and they end up together

41. Lauren says:

I wanted to jump in the tv aswell I’m furious I was screaming at the television

42. Meka says:

I just start watching this show during the marathon and now I’m hook I can’t believe that she chose jake he cool but her heart is with matty we all make mistakes hopefully she can forgive matty cause he really like her & she really like him can’t wait until season 2

43. Caitlin says:

I started watching the show in the summer, then stopped due to my buisyness I call school, but I started again and just wanted to get my voice out there.
    I always say (and I take no credit for this quote)”If you love two people at the same time, pick the second one, because if you really loved the first you wouldn’t have fallen for the second” -Johnny Depp. With love triangles like these, I wish I could just go in the show and scream this quote to the main character!
    JENNA PICK JAKE!!!

44. Kim says:

OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW ..CANT WAIT TIL SECOND SEASON…I EVEN GOT MY BESTIE HOOKED ON IT…I LOVE JENNA..SHE IS HILARIOUS…I LIKE MATTY BUT I WAS KINDA HAPPY WHEN SHE CHOSE JAKE…HE TREATS HER RIGHT AND IS NOT ASHAMED…BUT POOR MATTY HE LOOKED SO SAD..I THINK SECOND SEASON JENNA AND MATTY WILL BE TOGETHER…MATTY IS A FINE WHITE BOY…LOL IN THE FIRST EPISODE WHEN JENNA AND MATTY WAS DOING IT IN THE CLOSET AND MATTY MADE THAT MOANING NOISE, I WAS DYING THAT WAS SO FUNNY…LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE AWKWARD!

45. candace says:

WHEN IS SEASON 2?

46. Daiana says:

I agree 22 mins just usn’t enough for me! ILOVEAWKWARD i fell inlove ib this crazy twisted love show, i like how through out the show it was jenna & matty but also when jake also kissed her & told her he liked her:) & she also when with who she knew was right. so please more EPISODES!!

47. Daiana says:

Inlove with***
    went with** sorry for typos :|

48. Jess says:

I think she deserves to be with jake. Hes not embarrased to be seen with her, unlike matty. If matty really loved her, he wouldnt keep her a secret. Jake is so sweet and hes clearly liked her for a while and i think their so cute! As for the letter, im still convinced that sadie wrote it with the whole “you have to be cruel to be kind” thing. But maybe thats what they are trying to get everyone to think, who knows. Anyways I cant wait for season 2! Go team Jake! (:

49. Emily says:

I can’t believe Lacey did that to Jenna. Lacey is a bitch for writing that stupid letter. Her mom is probably jealous of Jenna, because Jenna is prettier. But I was super pissed at the finale in Season 1. I can’t wait for Season 2. More drama, more romance, more everything. It will be amazing!‹3 :) Btw, TEAM JAKERS!

50. vanessa says:

Can’t wait for the second season. When is it starting????