60 Minutes Staple Andy Rooney to Sign Off

60 minutes show-capper Andy Rooney has decided to end his longtime run with the CBS newsmagazine.

The network announced  Tuesday that the veteran commentator, 92, will make his final regular appearance on 60 Minutes this Sunday, Oct. 2.

“There’s nobody like Andy and there never will be. He’ll hate hearing this, but he’s an American original,” CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager says in a statement. “His contributions to 60 Minutes are immeasurable; he’s also a great friend. It’s harder for him to do it every week, but he will always have the ability to speak his mind on 60 Minutes when the urge hits him.”

A career retrospective presented by CBS correspondent Morley Safer will precede Rooney’s final — and 1,097th! — essay this Sunday.

Rooney has been a contributor to 60 Minutes since its inception in 1968, ultimately becoming an episode-ending fixture on the newser in 1978.

1. smitty says:

Love Andy, and wish him the best for the rest of his days. His ability to do the show into his 90s should be an inspiration to all of us (50-something) whippersnappers that we have a long time to still contribute to society. Thanks, Andy!

2. Ally says:

Will miss the old curmudgeon… His commentary was intelligent and insightful and humourous, although I didn’t always agree with him. I suppose he deserves to finally retire!

3. Harry Muller says:

We will miss you, Andy! Thanks for so many wonderful years of great, straight-forward, tell-it-like-it-is commentary. Godspeed and enjoy your well-earned retirement!

4. Kristoffer says:

I used to hate 60 minutes and Andy Rooney when I was a kid… I think there was something about that and hearing Andy at the end of the show that officially meant Sunday was over, bedtime was around the corner and it was back to school shortly. However I find myself watching 60 minutes now and enjoying hearing what Mr Rooney has to say… Hopefully he has many years of enjoyable retirement around the corner!

• Kristoffer says:

Looks like part of my post got left out — should have read I think there was something about hearing that tick tick tick tick and hearing Andy…..

5. Kerrie says:

Love Andy Rooney. His spot has always been for me the highlight of 60 Minutes. He’ll be greatly missed. I wish him the best of everything.

6. robinepowell says:

Wow, he’s 92?! I’ll miss hearing his comments every week, but at this age, who can blame him for retiring.

Another news icon in the show biz. ;)

7. David P. Graf says:

I tuned out Rooney long ago when it became impossible to distinguish between an authentic Rooney commentary and one done as parody.

8. KMG says:

I like Andy, but I’ve thought for a while that his segments never really added much to the show. I think they’d be more interesting if he was making humorous comments about some segment on that week’s show, or about some current topic, but usually it’s just “I noticed this the other day in the grocery store/my email/a book I read/ something else unrelated to anything”. Also, he gets paid a lot of money to basically do nothing except one 2-minute comment… while sitting at his own desk, even! Nice gig if you can get it. Can’t say I’ll really miss him, but I wish him well.