Gossip Girl Boss Dishes on [Spoiler Alert]'s Surprise Pregnancy

Somebody’s going to need a bigger dress.

After pulling a bait-and-switch, letting us believe that Dorota was the owner of last season’s positive pregnancy test, Monday night’s Gossip Girl closed with a big and potentially game-changing revelation: Both Dorota and Blair are expecting!

The Queen of the Upper East Side — and future princess — is preggers just as she’s in the midst of planning a royal wedding. It’s a secret that will cause quite the dilemma for Blair, and not just in terms of how she’ll fit into her wedding dress. Executive producer Josh Safran explains that the series will delve into all the options that a young woman in Blair’s situation might consider — and the emotional turmoil and potential pitfalls that come with having those internal debates.

Gossip Girl Preview: Dan’s Blair Crush, Nate’s Control Issues and Chuck’s Dangerous Detour

Although Blair’s been able to fool everyone so far (except for one sharp-eyed seamstress), it won’t be long before she finds it too difficult to hide the pregnancy and wade through her options by herself, says Safran.

And she won’t be the only one dealing with the consequences. “Blair’s pregnancy will definitely impact Chuck in a major way,” explains Safran, who also teases that Mr. Bass’s journey in Season 5 “is the only possible next step in the evolution” of the character. Could that next step be fatherhood? Safran won’t reveal if Chuck and Blair’s post-bar mitzvah rendezvous was the moment of conception, but teases that “the audience will learn who the father is in the first half of the season.”

Gossip Girl Boss Previews Blair and Her Men, Serena’s New Life, and Exploiting the UES

So why make Blair pregnant at all? Safran points out that “it isn’t out of the realm of possibility” for a young, would-be princess to find herself with child.

Just like the pregnancy, Blair’s fertile story arc wasn’t exactly planned. “We thought about [the storyline], but we didn’t go three years ago, ‘She’s going to get pregnant at the end of Season 4!'” says Safran. Yet at the same time, he adds, “it felt right to us when we [wrote it because this] is how Blair’s experiencing it, in that it was not something so thought out.”

Gossip Girls fans, what do you think of the show’s surprise pregnancy? Were you shocked? Who do you think is the daddy?

1. A says:

If Dan’s novel’s chapter says he slept with Blair and it’s true, then it would have had to have happened by the time Vanessa was handing in the manuscript. That’s the same episode when Chuck and Blair last slept together, so this episode probably took place 6 weeks after that, or else it will be Louis’s baby since they spent summer in his palace, away from Dan and Chuck.

2. TamIWas says:

I think Dan is the father. The way Rufus asked him “if that really happened,” and Dan responded that a writer never tells? I think “that” thing Rufus referred to is probably more than we ever saw. I also think that would be what was so humiliating for Blair. And the interesting twist is that because Louis knows the story, as soon as he finds out Blair is pregnant, he’s going to know Dan could possibly be the father. That’s my theory anyway.

• Laurel says:

I don’t think so. I think Dan distorted Dan and Blair’s relationship in his book and made them sound hotter and sexier than they were. They were the anti-sex. lol. It’s totally creative license but it’s not real. I’ll be you a million bucks this is what Dan did. I agree that Louis will think Dan is the dad but only because Dan made it look like he and Blair got it on in his book. But they really didn’t. It’s like the line in the finale where Blair said they don’t’ write books about people who have stimulating conversations and shared life goals. She was right. Dan didn’t really write a story about Blair and Dan’s relationship. He made them more than they were. He made them more like Chuck and Blair I bet. That’s my theory. ;)

3. Serena says:

Dair was seriously Yawnfest! it was boring. thank God we had CSN LA. they were the highlight of the episode. Otherwise premiere was such a boring episode. next please!
    Baby Bass needs to come after this point because it will be a very refreshing story!

4. Jake says:

I really hope Blair has an abortion or loses the baby, she’s so not ready to be a mother. Yea blah blah Chuck and Blair are endgame thats obvious, but Blair doesnt need to be having a baby right now.

5. AK says:

The best route to go with this story is for Dan to be the father. It offers the most possible story lines for all of the characters; Chuck will freak out and have to confront his feelings for Blair, Dan will have to come to terms with his feelings for Blair and either Dan or Chuck could step up and help her raise the baby, either way would leave plenty of stories to tell. Serena would also freak out and have to deal with Blair and Dan and Nate could, I don’t know, be supportive of Dan? Chuck and Blair and baby is a bit too closed of a storyline and gives little reason for Dan to even be on anymore. It would also just be the best way to make the story scandalous and therefore more interesting for all of us watching.

6. Calley says:

The daddy is obviously Chuck. They’ve been foreshadowing a Chair baby for a long time. Dan and Blair bonding over Rosemary’s Baby is one of the biggest clues. There is no way it is Dan’s baby. LMAO

7. Leslie Knopp says:

I love the suprise pregnancy but tbph I don’t think it was really a surprise so I was certain Blair wasn’t going to be pregnant in the premiere! LOLOLOL. I think Chuck is obviously the Daddy but I betting people will think it’s Dan because of stuff he wrote in his book (creative license and all that) – Voila Royal Scandal.

8. Laurel says:

I’m looking forward to the story. I think Ed and Leighton are going to knock it out of the park as they always do!

9. Sarah L says:

For once in GG, they have done something right. Blair’s pregnancy will cause waves of problems in (almost) every character on the show. And it’s pretty obvious in my opinion that Chuck will be the dad. Even since last season’s finale, it was quite clear that Blair would be pregnant.

Nate, Serena and Chuck rocked in this episode, three of them really were WIN here. Nate and Serena talking together reminded me greatly of how well they go together too… sigh I miss NS. It’s a pity Blair wasn’t with them really, the NJBC really need to get together again.

I’m telling you, Chuck & Blair are endgame. Safran and Savage also have mentioned ridiculous amounts of times that Chuck and Blair will end up together. It’s just a matter of when.

10. dee123 says:

There is no chance Blair will have that baby.

11. destiny says:

did anyone notice that she’s ‘only’ pregnant? it’s nowhere written that she’s going to keep the baby. it could be an abortion or even a miscarriage. it would definately add some kind of depth to her character and maybe even the child’s father (i believe it’s chuck too) to deal with such a matter.

12. Nancy says:

The episode itself was a mess. Really boring. Nate and Serena were the highlights which says so much.
    I feel like the show has twisted itself in knots to make Dan and Blair seem like an ok idea and it just falls flat. The pregnancy reveal at the end was great but will Chuck even be part of this story? I think this will be a bait and switch with Chuck being the father to keep fans hanging on but Dan being more involved because Josh really seems to want to write for Dan. I think ratings will tell if people are still being tricked. It may be time to put the show out of its misery.

Louis is perhaps the most boring guest star ever. Raina was painful and I thought Ben would never leave but Louis actually hurts the viewer with his boredom.

13. Captain says:

The whole Blair is pregnant thing was a bit predictable given that no one else made sense but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I don’t see her being a mother so I have to assume she either loses the baby or gets an abortion.

This episode just made me want her with Dan more. I’m fine with Chuck/Blair being end game as long as she gets to be with Dan first.

14. Doolittle says:

I think Chuck is the daddy but people may think Dan is after his book comes out because Dan will hype up DB into something it wasn’t. Some big passionate affair like CB. lol. I wonder if there is any chance Dan will pretend to be the daddy at some point. But I’m certain he isn’t the daddy. lol

15. Beth says:

Loved Chuck Bass last night. Serena was superb. Nate was adorable. But Blair was upset and nervous :( She needs Serena back in NYC with her! Dan lying to get Blair for yourself? Not cool Humphrey.

So happy that Blair is pregnant along with Dorota! A Chuck Bass baby! And no Dair did not have sex lmao! It’s not cause Dan puts that in his book that it means that it’s true lol! There’s something called creative license!

So happy to hear that Chuck will be greatly impacted by the pregnancy!

16. Bellemme says:

I’m getting really disturbed by a lot of the comments from this story. People who ‘claim’ to be fans of Blair, yet are either degrading her character or wishing her devastating tragedy.
    If you think that Dan is the father then you think that Blair slept with 3 men within weeks of each other, and that she was lying about the guilt she felt after sleeping with Chuck.
    You also want your ‘favorite’ character to go through the devastating experience of miscarriage or abortion? What did you think was going to happen after that? That she was going to be over it 5 episodes later, and making out with Dan? If you think that she would be bouncing back into another relationship after that, then that shows how shallow you think your ‘favorite’ character is.
    If it happens then the rest of her story this season will have NOTHING to do with Dan, but everything to do with greiving and coming to terms with her loss. Comments like these make me feel sorry for Leighton Meester, if these same people are claiming to be her biggest fans.

17. Lauren says:

It’s Chuck’s!!!

Dan and Blair never got it on (also if Dan invented a weird little sex scene about them for his book – CREEPY!)

And I bet you anything Louis is firing blanks.

Have no idea when or how all of this stuff will be revealed, but yeah. It’s Chuck’s.

18. Amanda says:

I am so tired of Dan and Blair. I hated how they used a CB thing to DB ugh. I am so tired of Joshua Safran trying so hard with Dan. It just makes me sad Chuck/Blair or Blair/Serena can’t interact because they are more worried about forcing DB on us. Dair is so forced to me and is kiliing gg to me. UGH

19. LH says:

I’m ALL about the Chuck&Blair LOVE and BABY BASS!!! CB=DESTINY!!!

20. Mary says:

CHUCK&BLAIR + BABY BASS==THE PERFECT THREESOME!!! CB is DESTINY & Baby Bass will cement their DESTINED union!!! Cannot wait 4 CB & FAMILY!!!

21. Helia says:

Not shocked at all. Certain the daddy is Chuck. I cannot wait to see how it helps him grow up and mature. I hate how the writers treated him as a character. It’s astounding how popular he still remains despite it all. It’ll be interesting to see how Blair handles being engaged to one guy, pregnant by the love her life and only having her gay best friend to rely on. Should be interesting.

22. Mayra says:

She’s so no ready to be pregnant. This is ridiculous.
    What happens if we have a 6th season? Blair carrying a baby around? uh, please, no!
    And if she wanted to have and abortion, she should have done it by now… this is just to ridiculous.

23. Toya says:

What would make the show crazy would be to have Dan be the father. Blair will never let Chuck go completely so why add a baby to that crazy relationship?

24. Jerry says:

Chuck&Blair + Baby Bass make 3…PERFECTION!!!! CB=DESTINY=ENDGAME!!!

25. David says:

CB & Baby Bass!!!! SO PUMPED for S5!!! Bring on the CB EPICNESS & HAPPY FAMILY!!!! CHAIR is KISMET!!!

26. Kathee says:

CB & their Bass Family FTW!!! TONS of “little Chuck Babies in bowties”!! CHAIR babies will be too gorgeous & precious for words. CB is KISMET!!!

27. Laura says:

I have a funny feeling it may be Dan’s baby as well. When Blair walked in to his place, didn’t she ask him if they were still friends or something along those lines? It implied something had happened between them that could have caused a rift.

• Sarah says:

“He definitely has feelings for Blair,” says Safran, “Whatever that relationship is, what you saw — it’s still growing and continuing. We have an evolution mapped out for them.”

Pulled that directly from an interview – it’s the ‘what you saw’ part that makes me wonder…

28. anonymous says:

what I find to be unbelievable is the fact that there are still some Chair fans out there, this was NOT a good couple, they were toxic for each other. I personally like blair, she is smart and easily the most developed of the characters on the show, so I don’t really understand the attraction to chuck, their relarionship, if you can even call it that, was built on manipulation, he emotionally abused her over and over again. e.g. trading her for a hotel, I mean really. I think the way the writers last season ended the relationship was the best possible outcome for that couple.
    While I’m not completely sold on the Dair relationship yet, that was one you could see happening from a very early stage of the show, from the first few seasons you could see that there was sparks(they werent necessarily romantic) there between the two of them and even a grudging respect for each other. I also like the fact that that then developed into a friendship and now something more, however i do agree that the amount of times Dan “fell in love” with someone is ridiculous.

29. Vanillalatte86 says:

To the Dair fans that think it is Dan’s baby because of the book, Even if they had sex after the kiss, Blair is only 6 weeks along. The book was written well before that and Dan and Blair hooked (according to you) well before that. I doubt that Dan and Blair had sex because the whole story about them so far, and it seems to be still headed in that direction, is that it is unrequited. Dan has a thing for Blair and she does not (as of now) feel the same way. Also, they have confirmed as well the Vanessa made changes to Dan’s book without telling him. How do you know Dan and Rufus were even talking about the same thing.

For those of you that think it is Louis’s because of the six week thing, well the GG writers have already confirmed that only six weeks have passed between the finale and premiere.

Anyway, I am sure it is Chuck’s. It can’t be Dan’s. Blair would not need to hide it if it were Louis’s.

BABY BASS FOR THE WIN!!

30. Sarah says:

i think blair and chuck fans who want the baby to be chuck’s and want a “cute little baby bass” aren’t thinking about what this show will look like if that happens. do you really want to watch them raise a child? and for blair to be a mom? i like blair and chuck together but i’m not interested in a show where blair’s a mom, at all.

31. Ashley says:

As much as I love Chuck and Blair together, it seems completely unrealistic for someone like Blair to have a surprise pregnancy. Someone of Blair’s wealth, education, sexual activity, and upbringing would most certainly be on birth control. So regardless if Chuck had a condom for the post-bar mitzvah sex Blair would probably never get pregnant. On top of that, it would be very unlikely, even for a seamstress, to notice that Blair is six weeks along in her pregnancy. Most women are not showing at that point. I hope the show at least entertains the idea of Blair getting an abortion because realistically some in her shoes definitely would.

32. Christiana says:

i really liked that Chuck was lying to himself that everything is ok and life moves on without Blair,and we all know that he does all this daredevil things just to not think of her. For Blair now i think she is out of her water with that prince,he is so the boy of the mama.And Baby bass is amazing! To tell you the truth i believe that she is not going to have the baby(maybe she will lose it) but that doesn’t mean that she and Chuck will not get together. I can’t wait for ep 2 and for the reacion of Chuck when he’ll found out about the baby!!
    PS: I’am afraid that if she is going to have the baby the Blair we all know will change and never be the same again and we are gonna lose all that naughty,bitchy and sexy character we love!!
    What you think?

33. cibele says:

It’s kinda annoying to come here to read the comments and see Chuck fans pissing all over the comments sections with pointless and meaningless comments like “Chuck and Blair are endgame”. Talk about juvenile fandom.

34. Sarah says:

I think that the love between Chuck and Blair is like that of the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Though they want to forget they cannot for that it is impossible. Like in the movie Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind
    Since you can erase a person of your mind but not of your life and they will find all the times
    Like Chuck and Blair

35. Leonor says:

I like the love between Chuck and Blair because me there resembles the love between Johnny Cash and June Carter who is represented in the movie Walk the Line
    An epic love and that resists everything

36. Anzie says:

BABYS KILL SERIES!

37. Sandrine says:

I have a strong feeling that she’ll either have an abortion or she’ll miscarry.

38. harumscarum says:

ok i’m going to start by saying

AAAAAAWWWWW YYYEEEEEAAAHHHH!!!! BABY BASS LIVES!!

and there’s no doubt that chuck’s the father. they wouldn’t get blair pregnant with a guest star who’s going to leave anyway. and last i heard, you need to actually have sex to make a baby, so i’m thinking that rules out dan.

and speaking of dan, he really needs to either stop acting like everything he hates about the UES, or just own up to not hating it anymore. he was willing to manipulate blair and take advantage of the situation and go behind louis’ (the guy who is HELPING him) back. and knowing him he’ll be ranting about how horrible UESers are for doing things like that, in the next episode.

as for louis? he needs to leave.

39. Cassie says:

Chuck and Blair remind me of Heathcliff and Cathy from Wuthering Heights. Love them. And hoping for a baby Bass!

40. Elizabeth says:

Well I think it makes sense, based on my interpretations of the spoilers Chuck is more than likely the father, probably why Blair won’t marry the prince in the end. However, just because Blair may be having Chucks baby doesn’t not mean they will end up together this season or at all. I think the writers are going to continue to build up the story between Dan and Blair romantically, making it stronger. While giving Chuck and Blair fans something to hold onto a baby in this case even if the end result isn’t what they want to see. I think she will somehow end up with Dan. Chuck has a lot of growing up to do and I’m sure we will get to see that in this upcoming season. I’m not too excited with the pregnancy storyline, but lets see what happens Leighton is the main reason I watch this show anyway.

41. jamey says:

DAIR! For all you CHAIR fans who think it is not possible for it to be Dan’s, then have yo been watching GG? Dan and Blair could have had sex, and we never saw it or heard about it. Everything that has happened with Dair has been subtle. The two kisses that we have seen have been indirect. The first stopped as soon as their lips hit and the second was on cell phones. DAIR is the best thing to happen on GG in forever. I love them. Chuck is so much better not being with Blair. I used to be a Chair fan, but I am seriously hoping that this is not Chuck’s baby. Bringing Chair back together is a bad idea. Chuck and Blair were right for each other at a time, and they grew up and apart. Chuck and Blair DO NOT BELONG TOGETHER!

• Brooke says:

I agree with this. They were right for each other; but I think they both grew apart. Especially Blair; she did a lot of growing up since season 3.

And I agree it could easily be Dan’s child. There’s no telling what could have happened with them.

42. TM says:

Great. They stopped showing Chuck’s POV two seasons ago, now they are going to compound it by saying he can’t feel.

43. Steph Savage says:

Even though I think they’ll make Chuck the father, I have this strange feeling it’s Dan’s. That whole “creative liberties” thing Rufus was asking Dan about got me thinking…maybe they did more than kiss…

44. Hattie says:

I feel sorry for Blair. I think Chuck Bass is the worst thing that has ever happened to her. The show hasn’t shown me love ni the relationship; only that he views her as something that is expendable. She’s one of his properties.

Blair was better off in season 4 without him; Chuck holds her back with his immature ways.

What a stupid storyline.

I do like the Dan/Blair storyline because for the first time we were able to see Blair grow as a character instead of being behind people’s backs and scheming over nothing. She was able to be so much more as a character.

45. Leigh says:

CHAIR & Bass Family FTW!!! Cannot wait for Chuck&Blair + Baby Bass to RULE Gossipdom–it’s their DESTINY!!!

46. Leigh says:

47. ***** says:

I think it may actually be that Louis is the father. I did read a spoiler that said that there would be a dream sequence episode. That dream episode could actually be Blair imaging what it would be like if she was pregnant with Chuck’s baby and if she was actually marrying him instead of Louis. Plus I saw pictures of Chuck with a dog and another picture with Blair and Chuck holding each other. All the pictures looked a little too much of a wonderful world.

48. Marita says:

I actually think it’s Louis baby… It would have a major impact on Chuck, he tried to kill himself on a motorcycle because she was going to marry the prince, imagine what an impact it would have on him if the baby is Louis.. And Louis could be mad because he saw the paternity test and Chuck’s name on it as one of the potential fathers.. Ofcourse he would be mad because he found out Blair had been unfaithful, it still doesn’t mean that Chuck is the father, which I don’t think he is….. But still, Chuck and Blair are ment to be, so she will problaby misscarriage and at some point she and Chuck will live happily ever after

49. lolida says:

i am not fond of Chuck but i think the baby should be his, as Blair’s his only true love and i seriously dont think it’s Dan’s, though Dan’s my most favourite character. It’s also mainly because of Blair, Chuck changes a lot and this’s what she wants too. my fondness for Chuck also grows as the drama progresses. Louis’s damn too mean and his existance’s annoying. and i’m seriously pissed off for those who say Dan a pathetic one! i love Dan so much!