Gossip Girl Boss Dishes on [Spoiler Alert]'s Surprise Pregnancy

Somebody’s going to need a bigger dress.

After pulling a bait-and-switch, letting us believe that Dorota was the owner of last season’s positive pregnancy test, Monday night’s Gossip Girl closed with a big and potentially game-changing revelation: Both Dorota and Blair are expecting!

The Queen of the Upper East Side — and future princess — is preggers just as she’s in the midst of planning a royal wedding. It’s a secret that will cause quite the dilemma for Blair, and not just in terms of how she’ll fit into her wedding dress. Executive producer Josh Safran explains that the series will delve into all the options that a young woman in Blair’s situation might consider – and the emotional turmoil and potential pitfalls that come with having those internal debates.

Gossip Girl Preview: Dan’s Blair Crush, Nate’s Control Issues and Chuck’s Dangerous Detour

Although Blair’s been able to fool everyone so far (except for one sharp-eyed seamstress), it won’t be long before she finds it too difficult to hide the pregnancy and wade through her options by herself, says Safran.

And she won’t be the only one dealing with the consequences. “Blair’s pregnancy will definitely impact Chuck in a major way,” explains Safran, who also teases that Mr. Bass’s journey in Season 5 “is the only possible next step in the evolution” of the character. Could that next step be fatherhood? Safran won’t reveal if Chuck and Blair’s post-bar mitzvah rendezvous was the moment of conception, but teases that “the audience will learn who the father is in the first half of the season.”

Gossip Girl Boss Previews Blair and Her Men, Serena’s New Life, and Exploiting the UES

So why make Blair pregnant at all? Safran points out that “it isn’t out of the realm of possibility” for a young, would-be princess to find herself with child.

Just like the pregnancy, Blair’s fertile story arc wasn’t exactly planned. “We thought about [the storyline], but we didn’t go three years ago, ‘She’s going to get pregnant at the end of Season 4!’” says Safran. Yet at the same time, he adds, “it felt right to us when we [wrote it because this] is how Blair’s experiencing it, in that it was not something so thought out.”

Gossip Girls fans, what do you think of the show’s surprise pregnancy? Were you shocked? Who do you think is the daddy?

1. Elle says:

Dan had me crying! Cannot wait to see how Dair plays out!

• jenna! says:

It’s Chuck’s baby and it’s Awesome!

• Staphanie says:

yes! It’s great and they are truly this show’s endgame!

• Mags says:

I agree. Chuck and Blair are this show so I missed them having scenes but the baby kind of gave e hope for their future!

• Diane says:

I loved Chuck this episode and I’m betting a million dollars that baby is Chuck’s! Sorry, Dbers but you lose because Safran specifically said it’s either Louis’s or Chuck’s in an interview. You lose and get used to that happening because you can’t compete with Chair. Even the 3letters8words was so patheticI think next season Dan will be in love with Lily or Cece at this rate. What a self serving asshole this guys was last night. Lying to Blair so he would run away with her when Louis was helping- Asshole. Chuck wanted her to be happy in the finale and now Dan wants to destroy her happiness with Louis because he wants her. ASS.
            Serena was amazing. Finally they gave this character what she needed- goals. I think Serena will have a much better, stronger year than Blair.

Read more: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/09/gossip-girl-review-yes-then-zero/#ixzz1Z9wgX4d0

• Bonnie says:

Oh, please get a life Dair fans. It’s not Dan’s because people have to have sex to have a baby. That didn’t happen with Dair. They showed Chuck and Blair having sex for a reason in the finale and that’s because it signified Blair would get pregnant and it would be Chuck Bass’s. I don’t know what tv you guys have watched but it can’t be much if you didn’t see that coming.

• Angi says:

Chuck and Blair are having a kid! I am so happy about that! It almost makes up for the boring hour of tv Gossip Girl gave us yesterday. I like the LA stuff with Chuck but Blair, OMG, so boring with Louis and creepy “I need to eat something” Humphrey. Chuck and Blair baby!

• sidney says:

I was hating the whole episode until I saw that Blair was having a baby. Thanks God ! And ,yeah, Dan can go screw himself and quit taking from Chuck. What an asshole.

• anna says:

That’s how I was too. There was a lot of really dull stuff like Blair with Louis and Dan but then Chuck kicked ass, Serena kicked ass, and so did Nate. The Baby Bass stuff was, no doubt, the reason it didn’t suck!

• Alexa says:

I couldn’t take the DB stuff. It made me want to hurl and I don’t want to get an eating disorder from this show so I;m gonna stop watching. When Chuck and Blair are back I will me too

• Nikkicox says:

I liked the Chuck stuff in this episode and Serena and Nate were so cute. I think Blair is confused because she’s pregnant but I want to see a scenes with her and Chuck ASAP!

• joanna says:

I think the best thing is Blair is pregnant and we all know it’s Chuck’s. I want Chuck to grow up and for he and Blair to get back with each other

• Peppa says:

I at least hope it is. Chair are the best part of Gossip Girl, Chuck’s scenes were good and Blair’s scenes were … well boring but aside from that the whole ep felt flat and like it needed a good emotional Chair scene.
        I hope Blair is having a baby Bass so we can look forward to some great scenes between them.

• Aura Lee says:

Chuck and Blair, Blair and Chuck, BABY CHAIR! If this baby is not a Chair baby I may die a little inside. Dan falls in love with any woman who pays attention to him (Georgina, Serena, Vanessa, Hilary Duff, Blair) He’s just an I love you slut looking for someone to reciprocate his misguided love.

• Laura says:

Dan’s a loser. Blair belong with Chuck and Che’s having his child! Chuck and Blair are the best!

• Leslie says:

OMG Blair is having Chuck’s Baby and Chuck was so hot! Chuck and Blair are so amazing and I cannot wait to see them more

• Karen says:

Yeah, me to! As much as I love me some Chuck and Blair, Dan and Blair are just so much more exiting and amazing!

2. Merina says:

I hope its not Chuck that would be the obvious route. Rather it be Louis to really shake up the engagement or Dan. Even though that is completely unrealistic and it probably is Chuck’s cause that’s the only person we have knowledge of so far that she slept with.

• Smallville944 says:

i think it would be interesting if it was chucks but i have a feeling it wont be i think Louis is the father

• Triniana says:

They aren’t going to make Blair pregnant with a guest star’s baby. It’s Chucks. THis is so great!!!

• 8daysaweek says:

Actually, I agree that I think Louis will be the father, despite his guest star status.

I’m thinking that Louis will be the father and freak out and bolt, leaving Blair alone. Chuck steps up and wants to be with Blair and be the child’s father, even though it isn’t biologically his, showing a lot of growth for the character and paving the way for Blair and Chuck to re-unite.

• Laurel says:

If the story played out like that I would love it.

• helix says:

It’s Chuck’s no doubt

• J says:

There’s no way Louis would father a child and then leave it. Since he’s all about royal appearances, he would want to marry Blair ASAP to give the child a name and let him/her be an heir to the throne. Sure his mother would throw a fit, but it would fit into Blair’s plans to solidify her place as the true princess and the mother of the future heir to the throne.

But that, however, is the reason why it’s not Louis’ baby. It’s too easy. And there’s no way they’ll make Louis a guest star. he’s too boring and too safe for Blair.

They planted the idea that it might be Dan’s in this episode, when his dad read the end of the book and asked “did that really happen? I thought it was just creative license.” Then Dan hedged. They’re totally setting up that possibility.

But that’s just a tease.

It’s gotta be Chuck’s kid, and that, I think, is the most predicable and yet the worst possible choice ever. Of course Chair will have a kid. Then the kid will become a pawn between them and cause further dissension and strife and it will never come out good.

It should be Dan’s kid, but it won’t be. At least then the baby would have a father that would be good for it.

• Karenina says:

I think it’s obviously going to be Chuck’s baby and I couldn’t be happier. This is so great for him as a character

• Captain says:

Seeing as she said she spent all summer in bed with Louis, I’d say that she did sleep with him.

3. Tanya says:

I am glad that finally this pregnancy mystery is resolved and put to bed! Im very glad to know that it is Blair who is pregnant because I think its about time Blair carried a mjor storyline/drama and Leighton rocks! I definitely think the baby is Chuck’s and that it will have a positive effect on him as a character by pushing and motivating him to step up as a man and partner and hopefully at some point down the line really be there for Blair in a meaningful way.

I have no comment on Dan or DB after tonight’s episode as the writers left me a little disgusted with their almost blantant attempts to insult or mock CB fans.

• JC says:

Same here. Though I’m not a fan of any of the pairings, I’m glad she pregnant because I think it could make for some interesting character development if she has the baby — both for Blair and Chuck (if he’s the father).

4. Cath says:

Chuck has to be the father of Blair’s baby, otherwise, he wouldn’t be impacted in a major way like it’s spoiled he’s going to be. And there wouldn’t be much drama or dilemma on Blair’s part if the baby’s father was Louis.

• miss scarlet says:

disagree on Chuck not being majorly impacted by Blair having Louis’s baby. Chuck got their ‘Save the Date’ and (not so?) subconsciously tried to kill himself on a motorcycle. he wouldn’t take a baby of theirs well at all.

5. Carrie says:

The Dair scenes were perfection. Beautifully done.

6. Kimmy says:

The premiere was very slow. I am glad Blair is pregnant because of the connection to Chuck. I know that the show wants me to care about Dan and Blair but I just don’t. Dan bores me and I feel like he is the type of character that is always needing to be propped in some way.

I wish we could just get back to Chuck and Blair. Hopefully Chuck will be a big part of the pregnancy storyline.

7. Annie says:

She is going to have an abortion. Chuck the rapist doesn’t deserve Queen Blair.

8. Edith says:

The baby has to be Chuck’s. There’s no use of having her get pregnant of a guest that will go after a few episodes. CHuck and Blair will always be conected.

9. Chris says:

Im glad they went this route and that CB are connected through this. IT HAS to be Chuck’s. I want them back something awful!!! I hope this leads to my Chair, Im so tired of waiting!!

10. Sandra says:

I’m so happy that Blair is pregnant and I really hope that Chuck is the father! He’s got to be!

11. Melissa says:

I’m so happy that Blair is pregnant,and I’m almost positive that it is Chuck’s baby. I just hope the writers let Blair have the baby, and don’t go the miscarriage route. Chair fans have stuck by this show for so long, and it would be nice to have something good happen after all the torture we have been put through.
    I think the 3words8letters was a HUGE insult to CB fans. The writers seriously have no respect for their fans, or they just aren’t creative enough to come up with something else. Either way, they seem to have lost even more of my respect.

• Christiana says:

he term “3 words, 8 letters” was not ruined. Not by a long shot. They deliberately had Gossip Girl use it to show that it can never been spoken to or from Blair if it hasn’t got to do with Chuck. It actually gives more power to the words because they are reserved just for Chuck and Blair. Also, it was used to show that Dan’s feelings for Blair are not wanted since she never asked nor will she ever ask him to say those “3 words, 8 letters”. Point is, Chuck is still the only one who said that line to Blair and Blair still only ever said it to Chuck. They still own it. Hope this helped to ease your worries. :)

12. Calista Flockhart says:

I think it’s obviously Chuck’s baby unless Blair secretly screwed Nate or Dan. ;) As someone said above, it’ll be a main character. They won’t waste Blair’s first pregnancy on a guest star. Since Chuck was the first person she slept with, her first “real relationship” (her words), her great love and basically her endgame? It’s obviously Chuck’s baby. Second possibility is that she secretly screwed Nate. lol. No way is Dan the daddy.

13. Katie says:

Blair is pregnant!!!! Best part of the episode. I hope that means they plan to reunite Chuck and Blair soon. The show is not the same without them.

14. Baby Waldorf Bass FTW says:

It’s Chuck’s baby. No doubt about it. I think this is going to be an amazing story about him growing and giving up his family related issues. I also think Blair will make an incredible mother but I doubt the baby goes to term – but who knows? The last time she was on set she was in a big dress.

15. July says:

I just wanna know why Serena and Nate arent together ! They look so adorable!

16. Ashley says:

Chuck and Blair all the way! <3

17. Regina says:

I hope chuck is the father. Mainly because i’m sick of the prince and don’t want him sticking around. So I hope something happens that breaks her and the prince up and a baby wouldn’t exactly do that.

• JC says:

This whole prince story line is annoying and ridiculous. I thought the idea of marrying someone was to know and love them. I’ll be glad when he’s gone too. I’m not a C/B fan but I hope Chuck’s the father because I think it could make for some nice character development if she has the baby.

18. Oscar says:

Blair is pregnant of Chuck Bass!It’s impossible for a guest star as Prince Louis to be the father, and that (not so) always good Humphrey guy is obviously out of the picture!

19. Joanna says:

Yay for pregnant Blair! The episode was so disjointed. The CNS scenes were the only interesting part tbh. Everything else was pretty dull. Thankfully Chuck was there to save the day but get hurt in the meantime! I’m really worried about Chuckles and I can’t wait to see him growing up. All in all, Baby Bass is on the way!!!

20. Katie says:

MY DAIR HEART. THEY’RE KILLING ME WITH THEIR PERFECTION.

21. whatever says:

This show has gone down the toilet–this is just lazy writing intended to create a scandal and eventually a Very Special Episode where Blair falls down the stairs and has a miscarriage or who knows, maybe “glass smasher Bass” will go for her stomach this time.

Whatever, at least Hart of Dixie was cute.

22. Jeanette says:

I wasn’t shocked by the pregnancy at all and I’m certain Blair is having Chuck’s baby. :)

23. Emily says:

Chuck’s story line was so sad, poor thing. I really hope (and think!) he’s the father of Blair’s baby, and I can’t wait to see his reaction to her pregnancy!

24. Emily says:

I don’t think it can be Chuck’s because the seamstress guessed she was about 6 weeks along and she hadn’t been with Chuck since the beginning of summer. I believe this is the end of summer.

• Jeanette says:

I’m pretty sure the writers actually said that the premiere was only actually a few weeks after the finale. They said it on their twitter a few days ago.

25. Lily says:

Chuck better be the father or I am so done with this show. If Dan were the father it would be all kinds of horrible. I am a fan of them as friends but not romantically. Honestly, I don’t understand Dair fans. The ultimate thing I love about the show is Blair and Serena’s friendship. It would break every best friend code and break Serena’s heart if Blair and Dan hooked up.

26. Sandy says:

Blair’s pregnancy is the ONLY exciting thing about the première, unfortunately because her SL is boring. But Baby Bass saved the day for me. And I’m glad that there is a step in Chuck’s character development. I’m sure parenthood will suit him! Yay for Chuck little babies in bow ties! Ed is such a Spoiler Source(thanks, Ed! You are awesome)

27. Saraa says:

I’m so happy about the pregnacy,can’t wait to see Baby Bass and Chuck and Blair sharing scenes together.And I’m loving the theme of this season,growing up.

28. Liz says:

I’m giving the possiblity of DAIR not happening like I would like but I do have a feeling their not done. Even though stupid CHAIR fans keep denying it DAIR has fun awesome seens together. My money is on Blair telling Dan BEFORE Chuck which would be AWESOME. And Chair fans don’t ring victory just yet there is still a possibility this could be Louise. Just saying.

• Vanillalatte86 says:

The thing about Chair fans is they are not Dair fans. They don’t have to think Dair was fun just because Dair fans do. Do you think you are stupid because you don’t like Chair?

I agree with you that Dair is not done, and I think that Dan will probably know about the baby before Chuck.

Blair denied and hid her pregnancy last night. If she was pregnant with her fiance’s child, why would she need to hide it? Even if she hid it from everyone else, she would definitely tell her fiance,”Um guess what, we are about to be parents.”

Blair cheating on her fiance with her ex and getting knocked up in the process, well that is something that she would (anyone would) want to hide.

29. Lisa says:

Well the premiere sucked but I loved Chuck and I hope Blair is having a baby Bass.

30. Elli says:

Really that’s your argument. Because GG is all moral and stuff. And like chuck and Blair didnt hook-up hours after she broke with Nate. Not bashing on them being friends or anything but that was a week argument as to why no hook up

31. Jess says:

Sorry Chair fans… it´s dan´s baby… there´s no doubt about it… the talk between Dan and Ruffus about the end of his story was not just about a kiss, no way, there were more… and we´ll know it…

• T says:

That’s what I thought too. I personally think they are smokin’ hot together even though some don’t agree. I’m sure that it will be Blair and Chuck in the end though since that’s what the kids want. I do like Chuck although the whole “riding the motorcycle like an idiot while wearing an ascot” was a bit corny. Not his fault. I hope whoever wrote tonight’s episode steps their game up. It was not good at all and I adore this show.

• Jenn C says:

T, I agree, I think Dan and Blair are really intense. The looks on both of their faces when Blair told him to take her away, and then when she asked him why he wouldn’t tell her the truth about Louis, made my heart pound faster. Even though Chuck and Blair were once hot, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten that feeling watching them. But you’re right, they will probably (unfortunately) end up together in the end because it’s indeed what the kids want. That’s such a shame, because people grow up, and I think Chair’s relationship was very dysfunctional and destructive, and now Blair is an adult and it’s time for an adult relationship.

BTW, I absolutely despise baby stories. I watch a couple of daytime soaps, and I always hate whenever there’s a who’s the daddy story (very typical of soaps), so I was really disappointed by last season’s finale with the pregnancy test reveal. I never understand why these writers always have to saddle these young characters down with babies, and then have them not know (or tell) who the daddy is. It’s so cliched.

• Vanillalatte86 says:

Awe, but when Vanessa stole the book I was in the midst of Chair sex. That means it was written well before that. Even if Dan and Blair did have sex (Which I doubt because they already did a whole episode about how Blair pushed him away and said the kiss meant less than nothing), The baby is still not his based on the timeline.

32. Jenn says:

THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO END THE GOSSIP GIRL LEGACY..CHUCK AND BLAIR HAVING A BABY. THE SHOW IS COMING TO AN END AND THE ULTIMATE SATISFACTION FOR CHAIR LOVERS IS A BABY BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM. i AM SO HAPPY. i COULDN’T HAVE WRITTEN THE SCRIPT ANY BETTER….WHAT A WAY TO END A SHOW IN THE LAST SEASON OR NEXT TO LAST. THAT’S WHAT I PREDICT…

33. Mary says:

Oh yeah because two wrongs make a right? Gossip Girl may not be all about morals but I personally think it would be extremely crappy for Blair and Dan to do that to Serena. Also, Blair would have slept with every male lead other than Rufus on the show at that point. She even slept with Carter. All I’m saying is it better be Chucks baby.

34. Halie says:

it can’t be chucks sorry. the timeline doesnt match up there was a whole summer between when they slept together and the seamstress says around 6 weeks

35. Anna says:

Think about the timeline if the baby were to be Dan’s. That would Blair had slept with Louis, Chuck, and Dan all within like the same month or two and not to mention while she’s engaged. Let’s hope Blair has more class than that. She’s not Serena people.

36. Emily says:

Seriously?? chuck is horrible i would not trust that guy with a child

37. Sara Beth says:

It could still definitely be Chucks baby. They never specified when exactly Blair and Chuck had sex and how much time had gone by between the finale and the season premier or what constitutes as a “whole summer” in television world. 6 weeks is about 2 months, it could for sure be Chucks baby. I think they made it that way to throw people off and keep you guessing about who the father is. And for Blair not be showing immediately.

38. Farrah says:

Hasn’t Dan been “in love” with every female character on this show minus is sister? Or been involved with? Chuck and Nate may look like the promiscuous ones but it looks like it’s actually Dan who is!
    Go Baby Bass, go!

39. Elizabeth says:

I think that the love between Chuck and Blair is like that of the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Though they never want they can forget

40. Susie says:

“The identity of Blair’s baby daddy has yet to be revealed. It’s either Prince Louis (Hugo Becker) or Chuck (Ed Westwick), and Safran says, “The audience will learn who the father is in the first half of the season.” Either way, he also teases that, “Blair’s pregnancy will definitely impact Chuck in a major way.”
    Sorry, Dair fans.
    Yay Chair!

• Lovebug says:

LOL – you totally changed the quote to fit your agenda. Awesome…to think Michelle Bachmann is posting about GG on TVLINE. haha

• anonymous says:

Well regardless of who the father is, he’s going to be impacted in a big way so that clue doesn’t mean much. I think it would be SUPER devastating for Chuck to find out that Dan and Blair slept together especially after she told him they only kissed and that meant nothing and only proved to her her feelings for HIM. He’s finally accepted the fact that she’s engaged to Louis, who is an outsider despite the whole Prince thing. Dan is in the circle. Finding out Blair was preggo by him would rock Chuck’s world big time.

41. l says:

I don’t care who the father is, so long as there isn’t going to be a baby. A well handled miscarriage storyline is the best way to take this. And even if Blair does end up having a baby, it doesn’t mean that she will be with the father. NO MORE CHAIR. That ship sunk to levels well beyond revival when Chuck trumped his emotional abuse of Blair with physical abuse.

42. Deangelo says:

I REALLY LOVED IT AN I LIKE DAN AN BLAIR TOGETHER DAIR BUT I ALSO LIKE CHUCK AMD BLAIR AND BLAIR AND LOUIE MANES HER HAPPY I LOVES THE PREMIERE STARTED KINDA SLOW AND GOT FASTER AND BETTER AS IT WENT ONE LIKE LAST SEASONS IT’LL HIT US WITH A BANG WHEN YOUR LEAST EXPECTING IT.

43. Tinsley says:

The quote from “Susie” wasn’t taken out of context. I saw it like that too, on eonline Watch With Kristen, word for word.

44. Jenn says:

DAIR NEEDS TO HAPPEN OKAY!? That scene in the loft was ridiculously amazing.

I do NOT want a Chair baby. PLEASE GOSSIP GIRL WRITERS. PLEASE!

And someone saying that Dan is more promiscuous than Chuck?… Are you kidding? Like.. C’mon.

45. ggny says:

did people not watch the same episode or are they just blinded by outplayed boring Chair…From everything in the episode is sounds like it is Dan baby she is carrying now that would be SHOCKING instead of going the boring route and having it be Chucks baby

Image the storyline that would come out of this if Blair was preggers with Dan baby and what Chuck would do hell just on that alone Gossip Girl could go another 3 seasons

• miss scarlet says:

I’d loooove for it to be Dan’s just to see what happens. But unless it was more than “just a kiss” like Blair said, it’s not likely. She could be lying, of course, but I still don’t think it’s probably. Too bad, that would be the best twist.

46. c says:

I hate the fact that Blair is pregnant! Why are they making teenagers act like 40 years old? what happened to Blair in these last seasons? Where is that powerful woman? she’s so weak acting like someone who doesn’t have any goals or the only goal in life is to get married.. the way she acted with chuck in the end of last season (she didn’t care about how toxic their love was) was so degrading for women (and so anti-season 1 blair)

47. Van says:

Dair all the way!!!! I think it’s the best storyline on the show… I love their friendship blossoming. It’s the right kind of love. Mushy I know, but Dair all the way!

48. Courtney says:

I think that it may be Dan’s. I know that it never showed them sleeping together, but Rufus hinted to something in the chapter of Dan’s book, asking if it really happened. This might be the kiss but could it also be something more? I’m not sure, though it’s just a hunch. I’m almost positive they would have shown them sleeping together.

49. Lila says:

I love Dair. I’m really hoping this is Dan and Blair’s baby. I think it’s possible since almost everyone assumes it’s going to be Chuck’s child. It would be such a curveball if the baby turned out to be Dan’s. Hopefully, Dan and Blair will get their chance this year.

50. Mooshki says:

Ugh, Dan is so unbelievably pathetic, it still blows my mind that anyone could ever think he is worthy of Blair.