Days of Our Lives' Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn Preview Their 'Exciting' Salem Homecoming

John and Marlena’s Salem homecoming is (finally) upon us.

TVLine recently spoke to Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn, the suds vets behind daytime’s power couple, about their much anticipated return to NBC’s Days of Our Lives this Mondaya comeback that appears, at least for the moment, to be a happy one.

TVLINE | Talk a little about what fans can expect from your respective returns to Salem.
HALL |
Besides Drake and I coming back, there are lots of characters returning. Days‘ core family is once again going to be there for viewers, with the show doing family stories that are reality-driven. But we come back partially to help dedicate the new Horton Square, which is a wonderful new set on the show.
HOGESTYN | It’s a huge set that will be there forever and has a multitude of stores that surround it. As we go on in the series, you’ll get to go in each store — so it’s a new element to the series.
HALL | And, of course, we’re also back to put out some fires that have begun. [Laughs]

Days of Our Lives Exclusive: Law & Order: SVU Vet Tamara Tunie to Judge John Black

TVLINE | So, we’ll see a happy homecoming?
HALL | Yes! We just show up and see everybody, but Abe (James Reynolds) and Lexie (Renée Jones) were certainly lovely to encounter. And our family, as well. Carrie and Austin are there.
HOGESTYN | Carrie (Christie Clark) the original Austin (Patrick Muldoon) are back in town and Jack (Matthew Ashford), who’s going to have his hands full because Jennifer (Melissa Reeves) and Daniel (Shawn Christian) are getting closer… It’s just been so much fun getting to know the younger cast on the show. They were just starting to come on when Deidre and I left, so there is this youth movement on the show that we’re just getting to know. If this is any indication of the actors that are coming up, daytime is in good hands. These kids are good; they’re professional.

Days of Our Lives Exclusive: Sarah Brown Previews Her Powerful Arrival in Salem

TVLINE | Do you think it’s a good move for Days to bring John and Marlena back at this time, given the state of daytime television?
HALL | I think what [executive producer] Greg Meng figured out was that there’s an audience hungry for their show’s core values. Days is getting better minute-by-minute with new writers and executive producers, and we kick it off big time.
HOGESTYN | Networks are always trying to find that big audience and they throw things up on the wall to try new things — some stick, some don’t. But at the end of the day if a TV set is on, other eyeballs are going to begin walking into that room and seeing it. If it takes getting the older demos to turn that set back on, there’s going to be a better chance of younger people catching on as well. That’s the show they’re bringing forward on Days now. And if any part of the audience left because Deidre and I left, they’re going to come back now and it’s going to be a good thing.

TVLINE | What can you tease about any new drama John and Marlena will inevitably face? That’s a given, right?
HALL | Yes, of course. [Laughs]
HOGESTYN | Have they told you anything, Deidre? They probably tell her more than me. I don’t ask. [Laughs]
HALL | I’ll say that it’s really exciting.
HOGESTYN | As soon as I walk in my trailer now, it’s so exciting to read the new scripts and trying to guess where they’re going with the show. That’s where we are right now and it’s great.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Daytime TV, Fall TV Preview, Interviews

1. Sivat says:

SO excited for John/Marlena and Carrie/Austin! I get to watch my show again—yay! I had to quit watching when John and Marlena were fired, so I’m excited they are turning Days back into the kind of show I want to watch with the characters I love.

• Sivat says:

My favourite John/Marlena stories are the Possession, Kristen fakes her pregnancy to keep John and Marlena apart, Stefano kidnaps Marlena to Paris, John and Marlena in Aremid, John and Marlena at Maison Blanche, the Salem Stalker, and the Titan conference room affair. Hopefully the new writers have epic, grand, Gothic romance stories in store for Doc and the Pawn!

2. Katie says:

I am excited with what is happening at Days. I hope they pick up some of the displaced viewers. I think Days has a such a great attitude right now. Bringing back Jack and Carrie and Marlena and John. I am so excited!

Thank you for your continued coverage of the soaps. I know from twitter that several of the journalists here actually like and watch soaps and that makes me so happy. I enjoy reading a site where people on it actually love television that peopke watch and are not snobs about it.

3. LMSO says:

Jack & Jennifer and Marlena & John were always my favorites back in the day. I gave up on DAYS years ago, but these returns (along with Carre & Original Austin — good call there)may just be enough to win me back. I even heard that Bo & Hope are back together(my #3). Worth checking it out IMO. My DVR is set…LOL!

4. John Berggren says:

I’ve never seen an episode, but DAMN, Deidre Hall looks GOOD. I hope it’s natural, as I wish women didn’t feel compelled not to age. Nothing wrong with aging either.

5. Elizabeth says:

Oh my, I haven’t watched Days in a long while but John & Marlena, Jack & Jennifer, Carrie & Austin are all back on?

Think I have to set the DVR! Woot. These characters bring back such good memories of my hardcore Soap watching days.

6. Violetta says:

Did everyone forget that John is a Dimera and I think things are going to get very interesting with that since Stephano is letting EJ be his own man now.

7. Carrie says:

Not to mention Maggie & victor are on the forefront, and Justin & Adrienne are on too. Can’t wait to see who sees Jack first. My guess is Adrienne or Abby.

yay old school goodness!!!!!

8. Sivat says:

I prefer Victor with Caroline. I would love to see Caroline turn into a bitter old scheming trying to break up Victor and Maggie. Maybe that’s where her granddaughter Sami got it from!

9. Marj says:

I started watching Days on the day Drake came to the show. I was so glad to hear that he would be on T.V. again on a regular basis after Seven Brides ended. When he left, I thought I could not watch for a while. To sad not to see John and Marlena. Today They are back, and so am I. I really hope the promise of storylines that build on family and the struggles and joys they experence will come true. I look forward to the adventures and cliffhangers as well. Welcome back Drake and Marlena…welcome back Days Of Our Lives. Now it will soar again to where it was …..and where it belongs.

10. Trista Blair says:

I just have one request – I love Sami and Rafe. Please don’t make Sami the evil sister now that Carrie is back. I like that Sami is a good mother, good wife, good daughter and that she occasionally does something crazy because she wants to protect her family.

I love that Rafe accepts her for who she is and doesn’t try to change her and I LOVE that there is some comedy around her trying to get away with things and Rafe always knowing that she is trying to get away with something.

I am so happy that Days is trying to reclaim its history and that NBC is sticking with them. It just goes to show that there are still some networks willing to step up rather than let the genre disappear.

• Gayle says:

I just posted a comment, but missed yours. I SO agree. I hope “they” don’t mess up the Sami & Rafe relationship. I, too think that Sami’s paid her dues & should get to remain the person her character has evolved into. I do get frustrated about the selective memory of Days & other soap writers. EJ raped Sami & that’s gone by the wayside. And don’t get me started on Kate. But I digress. I am grateful that NBC has stood by by Days.

11. Renetta Alexander says:

Hello All, Way to go Days Of Our Lives, I am thrilled to have Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn & Christie Clark along with Patrick M. & Matthew Ashford back home where they belong, I know the upcoming story lines will be awesome and I will be glued to my TV set after all Days has always been my favorite soap, and I will be a fan until eternity !! From Loyal Viewer

12. Jordan says:

It is great that John and marlena are back on days along with Austin and Carrie. Currently in Australia we just watched the episode where Sami shot ej after he lied to her and had payed Anna to kidnap Sydney. Despite this I have been watching current days eps on YouTube. This is dxactly what I had been fighting for when writing letters in the Australian soap magazines. John and marlena and bringing days back to the way it was in the eighties and early nineties. They are the show. Without them it means absolutely nothing. I have met and spoken to both drake and deidre in Australia. They are fantastic individuals. They are so polite and are so dedicated to their fans. Drake is fantastic. He is so intelligent and a caring individual and when I spoke to him it was as if I knew him all my life as deidre. Thank you for returning this much idolised couple back on the show

13. Gayle says:

I’ve been watching Days since it started when my very grown children were babies. It became an off & on thing for me b/c of work, etc., but since taping & now cable time shifting, I stay totally caught up. It is good to see Marlene & John back in Salem. And though Jack is interesting, I’m not that crazy about seeing him get back w/ Jennifer. Having Carrie & Austin back is a great thing, too. I also love seeing Maggie playing a central role; her relationship w/ Victor is fascinating. I hope that the growth & evolution of some of the other characters won’t get lost as this new/old story line unfolds, e.g., Sami & Rafe – a wonderful turn for Sami’s character. I hope there won’t be backward steps for her; she’s earned her growth & place as a stable adult & a beautiful woman, though never dull! So let the story line unfold for Marlena & John, but some of us don’t want to see it wreak havoc for everyone else!