Friday Ratings: Genre Fare Takes a Hit, While CBS Wins the Night

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

On a night theoretically dominated by genre-TV offerings, it was, as is tradition, CBS that topped the demos and viewership on this first big Friday of Fall TV.

The Eye kicked off the night with the series debut of A Gifted Man, which with 9.3 million total viewers and a 1.4 rating drew a bigger crowd but the same demo as Medium did here a year ago.

CSI: NY followed with 10.7 mil and a 1.8 (dipping 10 percent in the demo from its previous opener), then Blue Bloods closed the night as Friday’s most-watched program, copping 11.8 mil while scoring a 2.0 rating (down a smidge from its 2010 premiere).

Elsewhere… the results were not out-of-this-world.

The CW’s Nikita christened its new Friday home with 1.88 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating, which is down only a bit from its May finale but barely half of what the series spied with its year-ago (Thursday) premiere. Also, versus what Smallville did in the Fridays-at-8 slot last September, Nik was down 35 and 54 percent.

Leading out of that, Supernatural started its season with 1.95 million viewers and a 0.8 rating, which was down sharply from its Season 6 opener yet on par with its May finale numbers.

Fringe‘s numbers, lastly, live in two worlds: Returning to 3.53 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating, there is one universe where the show was down 30 percent from its year-ago premiere. Yet in another universe, those numbers represent increases of 7 and 25 percent from where it left off with its May finale.

What were you tuned into this Friday night? Still to make their debuts: NBC’s Chuck and Grimm, which premiere Oct. 21.

Comments (116)

• “(Versus what Smallville did in the Fridays-at-8 slot last September, Nik was down 35 and 54 percent)” I miss my show!!!! :(

Comment by Gabriela – September 24, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Smallville too. Friday nights aren’t the same without it. Heck, the week isn’t the same without it.

Comment by Sally – September 24, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. I have nothing to look forward to watch on Fridays now. Fridays @ 7 is Smallville’s timeslot.

Comment by TayMads – September 24, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too :(

Comment by Vanessa – September 24, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Starting Monday, October 3rd, Smallville is coming to TNT.

Monday through Friday @ noon!!

Comment by Dan – September 24, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve heard that TNT is starting with the Season 8 premiere rather than the pilot. I wonder what that could mean….?!!

Comment by Jude – September 25, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess we know what genre wins yet again: police procedurals.

Comment by satirex – September 24, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mwahaha at the CW’s stinky ratings! The network always treated Smallville like a red-headed stepchild to be tolerated rather than loved. Seems like it’s karmic comeuppance that all the CW shows have started/returned to embarrassing numbers post-Smallville.

Comment by Jude – September 25, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The CW may have, but the WB treated it like gold, giving it Charmed’s coveted Thursday spot which gave it huge ratings. Charmed did exactly what Supernatural did when it was moved, ratings fell, and the WB no longer loved it.

Comment by Tom – September 25, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of expected Nikita to take a large hit in ratings. It’s not established like Smallville was to survive Friday nights for long. Pity because last night’s episode was great.

Comment by Sally – September 24, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA, even though I have nothing against Nikita, it is more about the network, I was going to be really surprised if they would be able to hold on as Smallville did. They are not even on the same league (I mean ‘cult’ wise not arguable plot wise)

Comment by Gabriela – September 24, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, last year Nikita had a huge lead-in with Vampire Diaries while this year they’re expected to stand-alone. I don’t think those ratings are terrible considering but it’s certainly far from a sure-thing renewal-wise. The CW network is just failing in general.

Comment by Captain – September 24, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If a returning show has loyal or interested viewers it doesn’t really matter what the lead-in is. Only new shows need a good lead-in to encourage more viewers to stick around to watch. It seems kind of obvious that the viewers that tuned in for Smallville last season hung around to inflate Supernatural’s numbers too.

Comment by Jude – September 25, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nikita is AWESOME! Period. Move it out of Friday.

Comment by Mike B – September 25, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope the ratings for Nikita go up. Such a great and underrated show. Why it moved to Fridays still puzzles me. Last nights episode was amazing and the show was welcomed back with a bang. If it ever gets canceled, I will be pissed.

Comment by Michelle – September 24, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Secret Circle is a better pairing with VD.They should have dropped it on Tuesday or Wednesday

Comment by shaun – September 25, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both Nikita and Supernatural were terrific.

They set up the rest of their seasons in a great way.

Was really surprised to see Lucifer back. Did not expect it at all.

Fried pickle chips are awesome :)

Comment by Dee – September 24, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I love the actors who play Lucifer and Death, and Misha Collins showed how great he is in this episode. He even got Cas trending on twitter last night =P

Comment by Benn – September 24, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy God! My wish finally came true. All through season 5 I was hoping that Lucifer would return and he finally did in the premiere! Such a brilliant premiere. Misha deserves some love for his portrayal of three characters in one episode – the Castiel we all loved, the new God (who did a lot of smiting and did justice) and the Leviathan Castiel! Such an intense and chilling performance. Leviathan Cas’s wicked laugh is still in my head and threatens to give me nightmares! Forget all the negative voices against the news that Cas would be not appearing in many episodes this season. I think that he’ll have a major part to play in the second half of the season, no matter how much physical presence he has (or doesn’t have) on the screen. And the return of Death! That guy is amazing!

I really hope Supernatural’s ratings pick up. This show does everything so well. We need more of the Winchesters. I don’t care about any procedural shows, except for Castle. Genre shows need more viewership. Supernatural’s 7th season could well become the best season of its long run by the looks of things.

And Fringe, I love that show and it had an awesome premiere, but I have a bad feeling that this could be its final season and I hope Anna Torv and John Noble get some Emmy recognition.

Comment by Girish – September 24, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I like “Nikita” and the “Supernatural” premiere was awesome. It was really cool to have Crowley, Death and Lucifer in the same episode. I also thought Misha Collins did a great job basically playing 3 different characters in one episode.

Comment by Carrie – September 24, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is way too underrated. This show deserves to be on a better network that can draw more viewers. Last night’s episode was beyond amazing, it makes me sad that so many people don’t know this amazing show . :(

Comment by Lily – September 24, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Nikita and Fringe, they where both great!Nikita has really improved it wasn’t long ago I was about to give up on that show then a kick ass season closer drew me back in and the premiere kept up the momentum.I’d say this is Fringes and Supernaturals last years which is a shame as Fringe still has a lot to give.

Comment by Elle – September 24, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe :(
    Things are going to be even worse once Grimm shows up…

Comment by Alex – September 24, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well HBO would be pleased with 3.53 million viewers, but this is a network. Problem is Fox does not promote Fringe, not even at the Emmy awards, where Anna Torv looking stunning managed to trend worldwide on twitter, you would expect several clips of the new season.
      Instead the bit of promotion there has been was with the tag Where is peter bishop, not sure if they even mentioned Fringe.
      And Anna Torv and John Noble should have been recogized already by the Emmy voters, but Fringe was not even included in their drama section, so I fear for 2012,we will have the best actress out of competition, because like Matt said, already the first 45 seconds of the premiere should give Anna a nom.

Comment by guest – September 25, 2011 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t understand why CW didn’t give Smallville’s 8 p.m. slot to the more established show. Putting Supernatural there would’ve accomplished two things: Taken it away from direct competition with another show in the exact same genre and provided Nikita with a decent lead-in, which is really what it needs to survive at this point. It’s an incredibly well-written show but doesn’t have the established status it needs yet to start off the night on Fridays. Shame about Supernatural’s low ratings too because last night’s premiere was possibly the best in the show’s history — rivaled only by season four’s, I think.

Comment by Marc – September 24, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I’d put this premiere, in a tie with Season 2 right now, but Season 4 remains the best.

Comment by raelee514 – September 24, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was amazed at CSI NY last night. I am so glad that they did that episode it truely was a tribute. A very special episode indeed

Comment by Tillie – September 24, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that the ratings for Nikita improve it’s my favorite show I would be so upset if it gets cancelled they should move it to a different night. Last night’s episode was amazing the fight between Nikita and Alex was awesome, Birkoff was so cool and the new guy is not bad either loved the episode

Comment by Patchi – September 24, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping that since Fringe’s numbers were better than the season 3 finale, it will continue to improve. The premiere was awesome, and it will only get more so when Peter is back for good. Seth Gabel is a wonderful addition to the regular cast, and he’s very easy on the eyes too!

Comment by Kay – September 24, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While those ratings aren’t down really from their fall premieres, I think both Fringe and Supernatural are learning that you don’t spit on a faction of fans when you really can’t afford to lose any fans, period.

Supernatural’s spin this summer was horrible. They had a weak ending that ticked off a lot of fans with the loss of Cass and the badly done focus on Sam’s Hell pain and yet that’s all they wrote for this season. Instead of reassuring fans of Castiel’s value to the show, Sera Gamble kept teasing that he was pretty much gone. The continual pushing of Sam’s post Hell story, ignoring the way the other lead’s post Hell story was written as well as the fact that after a season of it, it was way past old, was another mistake. And finally, the fact that there were no spoilers for Dean and no story for him with even his portrayer telling fans “Dean has no story,” just added to the fire. The fact that no one at the show level felt the need to address this or acknowledge it (until this week when Singer tried to spin it with weak falsehoods), was the topper.

A show needs to spin over the break in exciting ways to lure people in. Instead Sera and team continually ignored the cries of upset and frustration from the fans of two of their most popular characters. This is what you get.

And Fringe? Well, they did their PR right but the truth was always out there: they erased Peter and he won’t be showing up in the season for some time, and no character is looking for him because they stripped that character of relevance and importance. Replacing him with another, doesn’t help.

Shows can’t make all fans happy all of the time, but no one likes to see their fave belittled and downplayed by the writers. And both Supernatural and Fringe are learning that if you do that, the fans will tun away. Period.

Comment by mare – September 24, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • but most don t read spoilers that s just online fandom and they are not all even in the us i doubt that is the reason

Comment by jmj – September 24, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To quote Dean Winchester : “For fans they sure do complain a lot”

You people are a twisted lot. You whine and create stories about how the show isn’t listening to what the fans have to say and idiotically deciding if you are gonna watch a show based on a few interviews. There isn’t a show on tv that cares about it’s fans as much as Supernatural. They constantly thank the fans for their support and they pay attention to whats going on in the fandom (“Monster at the end of the book”). What more do you people want. The world doesn’t revolve around you. This whole Sam vs Dean and who gets more screen time/story war is getting old and boring. Both have an essential part to play in the story.

Secondly, the entire season 7 has remained under wraps because they did not want to spoil the GIANT TWIST at the end of the premier episode. Only the basics were revealed such as Sam’s wall (which we already knew about) and Cas’s God-status (which only lasted an episode though). You represent the whinest, self absorbed, spiteful, ignorant, moronic subset of SPN fans. Don’t let the door hit your overblown ego on your way out of the fan club.

Comment by Ana – September 24, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with most of your post Ana.

JFC, what a whiny bunch of people.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, when they say they will no longer tune in to watch the show, but they seem to be the first one who do know exactly what is coming. Gluttons for punishment, they must be.

Also, the writers? don’t owe any of us sh***. They can come up with whatever stories they feel will make the show great.

How many WOMEN show runners are out there in tv land? Not many, yet instead of acknowledging that fact, all they do is hate on the poor woman, the amount of pressure she must be under….

Comment by Dee – September 24, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree with both ana and dee. Hate it when people complain like this. I love Supernatural. I’ve been watching it for 3 years now and I’ll follow it till the very end. I don’t understand how fickle people can be sometimes.

Comment by catlyn – September 24, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mare, Peter did show up in last night’s episode, as an apparition in Walter’s TV screen. He may have been forgotten, but he’s not gone.

Comment by wasabi – September 24, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are so right! I saw very little Publicity on the CW for Supernatural. If you weren’t looking for it you would not have even known it was on this past Friday. Sera needs to give some meaty storyline to the two performers who bring in a lot of the viewership too. As far as Sam’s hell experience, well boohoo. Isn’t that what he told Dean, amongst other things. I did like that Dean was not playing nurse maid to Sam in this episode. I do hope the leviathan storyline is handled better than last year’s Campbell and alphas. SecretCircle is a better fit for SPN than Nikita, but TPTB don’t seem to know how to put together a good schedule.

Comment by Lily – September 24, 2011 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe with the whole “no Peter” storyline reminds me of the hot chick who knows she has her boyfriend wrapped around her finger, and wants to see how much she can jerk him around before he just gets up and leaves for good.

Thinking a lot of Nikita fans might be voting in the ‘A Gifted Man’ poll. ;)

Comment by ck – September 24, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I hope Nikita’s ratings get better or at least do well enough to finish this whole season. I love this show!

Comment by Ashley – September 24, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe’s premiere a year ago was on a Thursday, not a Friday, so there will be a dip comparing it to a year ago, since Fridays tend to have a smaller audience.

Comment by Rebecca – September 24, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Smallville.

Comment by Mike – September 24, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too. I still love “Supernatural”, though.

Comment by Carrie – September 24, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it funny and ironic that of the 3 shows that did the best, on CBS, there is only 1 comment on the board about any of them. I love CBS.

Comment by Pickle8182 – September 24, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here is another comment. I watched all three CBS shows last night. I think A Gifted Man has promise, and Blue Bloods was enjoyable as always.

CSI/NY is my favorite and last nights tribute to September 11th was exceptionally well done. Bravo to cast and crew.

Comment by Julia – September 24, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Fringe and Bones could get back together on the same night (when Bones finally returns). I feel they draw a similar audience.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 24, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe usually makes a killing on DVR viewership.

Comment by DENISE – September 24, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I DVRd it. I tend to do that with shows like Fringe because I want to watch it several times or go back and watch parts of it to clear things up. Fringe is a fantastic show.

Comment by ty – September 26, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I always DVR it and watch it on Saturday or Sunday. Unfortunately, they don’t yet have a way to count those numbers, otherwise, they’d have a heckuva lot more than 3.5M viewers.

Comment by David – September 30, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA and FRINGE! 2 underrated bad ass shows. I hope these underdogs survive!

Comment by Rob – September 24, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said, Rob! I couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Justin – September 24, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!!!!!!!!!!! Nikita is my absolute favorite show on Nikita. The show just keeps getting better and better, and last night was no exception. I have no idea why the CW put it on a Friday night. I hate the CW as a whole, and Nikita is it’s only show that I watch. I’m glad that it was already picked up for 23 episodes this season, so at least I know that it’s in no danger of getting cancelled mid-season. i have a feeling this will be CW’s last season as all it’s shows are doing terribly. Maybe a cable channel like FX can pick it up.

Comment by Tanya – September 24, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe was amazing last night. I hate the fact that Fox is airing it on Friday’s. Those numbers are a little scary. They’ll definitely pick up when the DVR numbers are revealed.

A Bones/Fringe pairing would be amazing. Fringe will do nothing but get better throughout the season, I can feel that after just one episode of Season 4.

Comment by Ali – September 24, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Fringe is the kind of show that commercials suck the pace out of…I DVR it every week.

Comment by JimC – September 26, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well just don’t cancel any of them yet! Give them time they’ll make it! Love Nikita and Fringe!

Comment by David – September 24, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW
    i expected Nikita to be down, but Supernatural also? i guess Smallville was MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to the CW than i thought!

with it gone everything just seems to fall :( we need a new superhero show ASAP!!! heck, even smallville reruns would probably do as good if not better than these shows ratings now.

Comment by ZmaX – September 24, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CW didn’t promote Smallville or Supernatural much last season, but the shows did OK (mainly because Supernatural piggy-backed off Smallville’s viewers). The CW obviously thought they could get away with minimal promotion again this year for their Friday shows. But guess what?! No Smallville – a totally different story! So yeah, I agree with you – that silly little pre-Superman show was MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the CW or you thought!

Comment by Jude – September 25, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there equal representation of Neilsen families across the board among demographics? Seems to me CBS is winning each night this week too easy. Maybe these so-called families don’t even bother to change their channel. I really hate how advertisers are fooled by such a small minority of viewers and don’t take into account to what America is really watching. There HAS to be a better way to account for the rest of us who do watch other things besides procedurals and reality shows.

Comment by Larry – September 24, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You guys ARE counted–you’re just not accounting for the fact that there aren’t very many of you.

Comment by satirex – September 25, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO FRINGE!

Comment by Elizabeth Mitchell Fan Club – September 24, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waiting (not do patiently) for Chuck! Don’t freak out!

Comment by Stefany – September 24, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering if Fringe’s ratings were down b/c of CSI:NY’s special episode last night. Hopefully, Fringe will do better next week.

Comment by Lorie – September 24, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Supernatural but it’s ratings will go even worse if the writers won’t listen. The Castiel storyline has gotten boring, it has nothing to do with the actor Misha Collins, we all love and support him, but the Angel storyline has got to end. Seriously the show we all loved is about Sam and Dean and their journey. Give us a break and indulge the fans with a season that is indeed like seasons 1 and 2. I hear the writers saying they will bring the show back to it’s roots, but what I saw today was just another fairytale gone bad.
    Of course for people who will misread my comment I will say that Jensen and Jared are always amazing and the show is always well executed, it’s just not the Dean and Sam storyline. That’s all.

Comment by Nat – September 24, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, the angel storyline DID kinda end with the premiere. Cas the Angel is gone and something completely new has taken over. All your complaints about the show make no sense unless you haven’t seen the premiere. I can honestly say this was one of the best premiere episodes supernatural has ever had. Similar to “In my time of dying” and “Lazaurus Rising”. Brilliantly written, brilliantly acted and kinda scary actually… The show is never gonna go back to season 1 roots- it’s gotten too complex for that but what did you expect after that finale? A monster of the week hunt? The show had to address the can of worms it had opened and it did just that.
      It is plain idiotic to suggest that they go “back to their roots” in the first episode. Frankly, I loved Season 1 and 2. But I liked the rest of the seasons too. If someone wants to watch supernatural the way it was in season 1, I think they should just re-watch season 1. I am ready to see the plot progress and the story of Sam and Dean to continue.

Comment by Max – September 24, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think spn will go back to its roots,but first the have to tie up loose ends right.So the way I see it, the first 2 episodes of this season are going to be like a movie that will end the angel story arc.And if some of the movies were as good as spn last night ill go more often.What a season opener,I loved cas in this episode and there were so many epic moments.I swear to God when the show reached halfway commercial I couldn’t believe there was still 30 min left.So many things went on in just the first 30 min.Dean starts fixing Babe,then Godstiels seen in the church(LOVED THAT SEEN),then Sams illusion in the basement were very NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST.ISH .Time went by,as dean worked on the car and gave me some time to absorb everything.I already new the Winchesters only option was binding death and I really liked the background about the Leviathans.When Lucifer showed up I was shocked and had no idea he was going to be on this episode.Again I looked at how much time remaind and was shocked to see there was more.Finally at the end some redemption for cas and the shocking twist of Leviathan.What I’m not sure about is did cas say THERE STRONG ,or HES STRONG.If someone can please fill me in if there’s multiple OLD ONES in cas.The ratings should get better next week ,SPN was by faaaar the best show on TV.

Comment by winchester – September 24, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked “A Gifted Man” and hope it gets to stick around for awhile.

Comment by Ashley – September 24, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Supernatural premiere, it was awesome! Hopefully getting rid of Cas will help the ratings increase.

Comment by Sivat – September 24, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes sure make all Cas fans stop watching the show that´s going to do wonders for the ratings. They don´t need to get rid of characters they have to improve the storylines. Anyway it doesn´t mater Gamble has already confirmed that Cas isn´t death.

Comment by Evyn – September 25, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely! Having back normal Cas will only help the show and ratings. He’s part of the family along with Sam, Dean and Bobby.

Comment by Joe – September 25, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of people, especially CW/Dawn Ostroff really underestimated Smallville, as a result it was never given the promotion it deserved. The network is going to struggle without SV.
    Apart from SPN, no other show on CW has that loyality from its fanbase.

They made a mistake moving Nikita to a Friday. I dont see it survivng another season but then again, ratings have been low generally for the CW so maybe the network is the one that in trouble.

Comment by June – September 24, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree that the CW really underestimated the value of Smallville. Schadenfreude is a word I can spell!

Comment by Jude – September 25, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Abrams and co. wrap up Fringe satisfactorily by the end of the season. The worst (THE WORST) thing that could happen is if it ended on a cliffhanger.

Comment by Sam – September 24, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best thing they could do is make a deal with FOX or another network that will guarantee that they will air each season, and also make a deal to end the show in the next two seasons so they have something to work towards and eventually wrap up. Otherwise they get stuck in this never-ending saga where they don’t have an ending.

Comment by JohnDoe – September 24, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita deserves a better network. I sat through the whole episode, even if i hate commercials. Nikita is the best show on the CW and last nights episode was beyond great!!! NIKITA FTW

Comment by MM – September 24, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Chuck returns, I’ll have three shows in the 7 pm slot that I want to see–Chuck, Nikita and A Gifted Man. I haven’t watched the AGM premiere yet, but one of them will have to be watched online or recorded in a repeated time slot (which I’m counting on/hoping for on Saturday nights) unless I discover that I don’t care for AGM.

At 8, I will record both Fringe and Grimm, but will be watching Fringe live every week. And only one more week for Haven and Blue Bloods to overlap at 9. Speaking of, any idea how Haven is doing ratings-wise, and whether it will be back next summer? It’s really getting good and I’d hate to lose it.

Comment by MelindaB – September 24, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F uck CSI:NY. Bu ll sh it of an episode. (Couldn’t care less about 9/11…I wanted Gore. F uck off).

Comment by ............... – September 24, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TVLine.com is monitored. So, um, where’s the monitoring guys?

Comment by Tania – September 24, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 300 millions of citizens and the ratings are based on a sample of 50000 families. I can’t believe it!

Comment by Ste – September 24, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You need to go back to school and take a statistics class to understand that this method of measuring is pretty darn accurate, dearie.

Comment by gloria – September 24, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …i used to be a neilsen viewer, and i supposedly ‘represented’ 4,000 women between 18-49 in my city. it’s quite random, actually, in that my tastes were extrapolated to stand for these others, and given the plethora of shows on network, cable, and premium cable, it’s a crapshoot which shows the designated neilsen viewer will ensure get the ratings.

Comment by well... – September 24, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, it’s not accurate at all anymore – especially in the most imporant demos. With DVRs, online viewing, downloads, and DVDs, people watch TV in entirely new ways, and the vastly outdated Neilsens are pretty much pointless.

Comment by Tarc – September 24, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural was fantastic! I loved it, it was amazing.

I need to rewatch Fringe, thinking watching it while on SPN high unfair to my 2nd favorite show, so going to wait until Saturday from now on.

Comment by Rachel – September 24, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadly, FOX doesn’t really give a crap about DVR viewership…because no one watches the commercials. The networks seem to base their decision on old outdated systems like Nielsen ratings. Such a shame, because Fringe is a great, great show. When utter crap like CSI: NY gets 10 million viewers, and Fringe gets 3-4 million, something is definitely wrong.

Comment by JohnDoe – September 24, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Fringe is a great, great show”, yes, to YOU. Apparently, though, NOT to everyone else. :P

Comment by Tania – September 24, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think we can establish that Fringe IS a great show by various impartial means. It’s just too bad more people are too dim to get it.

Comment by Tarc – September 24, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s like how A Big Bang Theory and 2 Broke Girls pulled in 3x as many people as Community and Parks & Rec. I mean, I watch all four, but I think we know which shows have better writers and originality.

Comment by MissPepper – September 24, 2011 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sort of, yes, but I think comedy is the worst example because everyone has different comedic tastes. Personally, I would only watch BBT of that list of four; and while I’d never say Community is badly written (or performed) in any way, I don’t care for it myself. But I think there is little doubt that Fringe, BBT, and Community are inarguable well written – if not to everyone’s taste.

Comment by Tarc – September 25, 2011 02:19 PM PDT
    • What’s ‘wrong’ is that apparently so many folks prefer procedurals and other stand-alone episodic types of television programs, rather than the serialized nature of brilliant shows like ‘Fringe’.

Comment by tvlover44 – September 24, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the problem with shows like Fringe, as good as they are, is if you aren’t watching from the beginning, you’re totally lost. that’s why they gave Lost a definite end date – at a certain point, they stopped gaining viewers because anyone new who tuned in had no idea what was going on. I missed the first half of the second season of Fringe because I had to be working. By the time I tuned back in, I had no idea what was happening, even though I really enjoyed the first season. with a show like CSI NY of SVU or whatever, is that you can miss a few episode and still know what you’re watching later. that’s part of the appeal.

Comment by kate – September 24, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a good example of why a certain kind of TV snob not only DON’T attract viewers to the shows they like, they actively make people less likely to watch them. You almost never see a Fringe fan of fan of a similar show (Lost was another good example) praise their show or make a pitch for more people to watch without trashing other shows. CSI:NY is a well-made, entertaining, and enjoyable show. It also regularly draws 3 and 4 times the audience Fringe does. Fringe may be a wonderful show, maybe not, but I’ve never been given a reason to watch it. It doesn’t star anyone who interests me, the description of the plot has always been overly complicated and unappealing, plus it’s clear that it requires constant viewing to keep up with the story. I’m not interested in a show if it’s going to require that I watch it every week to keep up. That’s too much like homework.

Comment by satirex – September 25, 2011 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Fringe. Luv fringe. Luv Walter. Could they have picked a deadlier time slot for the show??? It would probably do better at 11PM after the news !! Great to see Joe Flannigan. Miss him bigtime Wish he had a bigger part.
    Watched A Gifted Man out of curiosity expecting a reincarnation of Eli Stone but I really enjoyed it
    Will probably end up watching Nikita on DVD
    But going back to all things Fringe, can anyone explain why Peter vanished?? There are still two universes in chaos because Walter crossed over and stole him.What do they think initiated the fringe events in this timeline???

Will probably endup s

curiosity expect it whttp://movies.netflix.com/AddToQueue?movieid=70017467&qtype=DVD&trkid=2361637&authURL=1314161792606.sqmGWQDURH5KZ5R5gtGqhMZ3WRI%3D&section=NONE

Comment by Margot – September 24, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe was awesome last night and nice job Blue Bloods!

Comment by jenn – September 24, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just couldn’t get into A Gifted Man. Blue Bloods is one of my favorites and so glad to see it back although the season premiere was a little lackluster. I’m sure they’ll be picking up the pace now that they’ve laid the foundation for the rest of the season.

Comment by Linderella – September 24, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Gifted Man was all right, but it will be the same thing every week so that’s going to be boring in the long run.

I watched Nikita last night, thought it was horrible.

Blue Bloods was good. It’s better than last year.

Comment by gloria – September 24, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gifted Man was pretty good. Didn’t care much for CSI NY last night. And Blue Bloods was awesome and did well in the ratings too.

Comment by spader – September 24, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me neither. I spent most of it realizing how dire the movie business is right now if Patrick Wilson and Jennifer Ehle are on tv. On Friday.

Comment by MissPepper – September 24, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wrong night for TV,People in the 18-49 demo usually go out while the old folks stay inside to watch their favourite TV station CBS.”A Gifted man” 9 mil with a 1.4?? 11 mil and only 2.0 for Blue Bloods. That station always come on top with mass viewership but not as great in the demo ratings.

Comment by Angel – September 24, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, large swaths of the 18-49 demo watch TV in alternate ways that make the the ‘actual airtime’ immaterial – as well as which shows originally air against it. People like watching what they like, when they want to watch it – refusing to be slaves to unwanted competition and idiotic TV schedulers. None of those reported nummbers mean anything in comparison to overall viewership over time and over various viewing methods.

Comment by Tarc – September 24, 2011 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i watch nikita and supernatural.. like both shows..

Comment by ralf vandermeulen – September 24, 2011 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Fox told Fringe, “Hey, just to be nice (to Michael Ausiello) you get one more season. Go out with a bang! wehaveroomonfridays…..”
    Was there ever any hope they’d go to a fifth?

Comment by MissPepper – September 24, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS truly is the lowest common denominator network.

Comment by Jeff – September 25, 2011 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Fringe season premiere was fantastic – and for those who are just starting, why not watch the 12 webisode recaps that they had? That provides enough to follow along to a really clever, intriguing show! Miss Peter, but he’ll be back sooner or later! :)

Comment by Liv – September 25, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe was great, as usual. Mystery/Drama with a s/natural thread, and of course a splash of humor thrown in as icing on the cake.

John Noble and Anna Torv along with the rest of the cast work very well together and make for enjoyable viewing. Even my folks and sisters have recently started watching, and all just can’t get enough.

Comment by tropolite – September 25, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post