Exclusive

Rebecca Budig Bids 'Farewell' to All My Children: 'I Will Forever Be Grateful'

With her involvement in All My Children‘s online venture still up in the air, Rebecca Budig — who has played Pine Valley’s reformed badgirl, Greenlee Smythe du Pres Lavery, for the better part of a decade — is approaching Friday’s broadcast finale with mixed emotions.

“Some of my last scenes were…really emotional,” she tells TVLine candidly. “But then there were days where I was ready for the change and to move forward.”

In the following Q&A, Budig teases AMC‘s cliffhanger sendoff, discuses Prospect Park’s “smart” plans to move the sudser to the web, and reflects on an experience that gave her “some of the best friendships of my life.”

TVLINE | Thanks for chatting today!
Of course! I’m actually in New York for our shoot on The View (airing Friday at 11/10c). It’s a really emotional hour. It’s going to be really fun for people to see these cast members, so it’s definitely worth watching.

TVLINE | Now about that finale… What can you tease?
All I can say is that it’s a cliffhanger. It’s not wrapped up in a bow as was originally [planned].

Rebecca Budig Opens Up About Her All My Children Future: ‘In My Head, I Have Moved On’

TVLINE | I’ve heard several of your cast members say that recently. Can you talk at all about how it was going to end before the Prospect Park save?
I have to say I don’t really know the particulars, I just know that they were going to tie loose ends up. That was the original intention, but when the show was bought by Prospect Park, they decided to go in a completely different direction.

TVLINE | What’s strange is that each of the final episodes this week have seemed to tie things up within each family. But does the finale sort of undo all of that?
Yeah, I think everyone is left on a cliffhanger, including people like Debbi Morgan (Angie) who will no longer be with the show after Friday’s finale.

TVLINE | OK, so you have to be tight-lipped, but the fans are dying to know if we’ll see Josh Duhamel back in the finale. ABC released a promo photo of Leo in a suit, so the assumption is…yes?
Oh, you know, they shot something with Josh when he was here in August and I think they were going to use that in the finale before All My Children was purchased by Prospect. Now don’t hold me to it, but I do believe that was the intention when the show was going to end one way. But it’s been changed now.

TVLINE | Is there anyone else you would have liked to see back on the show before the finale?
My ultimate prize was Josh returning, but I do love Anna Stuart, who played Greenlee’s mom. I wish I would have gotten to do something with her because we always had fun.

All My Children Finale Photos: Pine Valley Vets Past and Present Unite to Say Goodbye

TVLINE | It’s been announced that Cameron Mathison is sticking with the show when it moves online. Did the two of you have any conversations about his decision prior to that reveal, given that your two characters are so central to the series?
Oh yeah, we definitely talked. We’re very close friends who are a big part of each others lives on and off the show. But his decision was a little easier because he’s in California — I have a life back in New York. I will say that I think that Prospect Park is going to turn the show around and make it great. I believe they’re going to make it a success. I’m actually very excited to see what they do with it. They’re really smart, dedicated, and passionate about it, and not to say that ABC wasn’t, but Prospect Park is going to breathe new energy into the show. That’s exciting for All My Children and the fans.

TVLINE | Any update on your future with the show?
I have met with Prospect Park and we are still talking.

TVLINE | How were those last days on set for you?
Some of my last scenes were with Alicia [Minshew], and those were just really emotional. I loved the way they were written and it really had a good mix of everything. When I read them, I called Alicia and I was very teary about it. But then there were days where I was ready for the change and to move forward. On the last show, Michael Knight gave a speech of course and I looked at Alicia and we started to cry like idiots. [Laughs] So, my emotions have run the gamut. You don’t really know how to grieve a show that is leaving the air but is still going to go on. It’s hard to be sad when there’s hope.

TVLINE | As a fan, I have to say that I’ve had a similar feeling watching the show this week.
You just don’t know what’s going to happen and who’s going to end up staying, but the show as it is right now is ultimately going to change. It will. So, I think that is a sad thing and you have to grieve the show as is it right now.

TVLINE | If you had to pinpoint any one thing you’re going to miss, what would it be?
Oh gosh, more than one! [Laughs] I’ve missed our crew in New York and now I’m missing our crew in L.A. Seeing Alicia and Cameron every day, you really get used to that, and those people are like family to me. I will really miss them a lot.

TVLINE | Let’s end with one of those fun, introspective questions: What does All My Children mean to you, be it career or otherwise?
I will forever be grateful for All My Children. It really started this path for me. This experience has been about growth as an actor, as a friend, and as a professional. I mean, you are loaded down with so many things on a soap and I’ve really learned a lot along the way. Also, I’ve developed some of the best friendships of my life.

How are you feeling about All My Children‘s broadcast finale? Hit the comments with your goodbyes to the show!

1. Patti says:

Don’t really care about Greenlee or Leo. Wish the finale brought back Cliff&Nina and reunited Greg&Jenny.

• Kelly says:

I wish the final David patient was Jenny. They brought Jesse back and he died in Angie’s arms. But we will probably get Leo or stupid Babe back.

• Andrea says:

They did unite Jenny and Craig on the Veiw! It was a great ending because that means there will be other shows….crossed fingers. I’m really sad about the whole thing…but life (reality) is unexpected and exciting! Good luck all you fans…I know I am…<3

• Epals says:

ABC made a big mistake taking AMC off the air. I understand that soap operas aren’t as popular as they used to be, but I’m sure that AMC still has a large following (that could have been encouraged to watch again).

No offense but the Chew is ridiculous!

With times being difficult, I’m also sure that some of the AMC cast would have been willing to take a small cut in pay…yeesh!

• Grace says:

Greenlee will live on as adding a bright, smart, fun edge to AMC; whether with her mom, David, Kendall, Erica or others… she was the best brat with a brain!! The only one she seemed consistently sweet with was Ryan. I was sorry when she left – felt she added much whenever she was there. Too bad not on Prospect Park.

2. Shari says:

Bittersweet…. Glad the show will be back for all it’s fans but Greenlee and Leo are Amaaaazzzing together and I was really hoping the show would wrap up (for good) with their reunion. Sigh.

3. Heather says:

Thank you Meg, you have reminded me all week of falling in love with all of AMC’s characters. You have done a great job of being fan/writer and sharing your feeling through the interviews and twitter. THANK YOU and AMC

• Megan Masters says:

So happy you’ve enjoyed the coverage! And you hit the nail on the head: Yes, I am covering AMC as part of my job, but more than anything I’m a fan. It’s sad to see it leave the air today.

4. mask says:

I’m anxious to see what Prospect Park does with AMC. I have great hopes for the content because Agnes is guiding it, but I also fear that it can’t be the same if Erica, Haywood, Greenlee and Kendall won’t be there!!!

• Mask says:

PS I realize we don’t know for sure who is going to return, I’m just worried that I won’t see my favorites. I know Zach is won’t be back.

• Lori says:

I love Tad and hope I hear about Prospect talking to Michael E Knight soon! I have always love Tad and Dixie and I hope we can see them together in the new version of AMC. My must haves would be: Kendall, Dr. David, Tad with or without Dixie, Jake, Cara,Griff, Adam & Stuart, Brooke, Jack, Ryan and Krystal, oh and Jessie and his kids too (we know Debbie Morgan is leaving, and no one else could play Angie!) I have respect for Lucci, but can live without Erica, and Greenlee always go on my nerves. Oh yeah, I love Biannca too and the new actress protraying her. I really liked Caleb too and loved him calling Erica, Dorothy!

I hope Prosprect makes final decisions on actors soon! As I saw another fan post of fb recently, we need to have so good news!

5. Lisa says:

So incredibly sad to see what I consider to be my “extended family” leave the air. Like millions of fans, I have grown up with them, have loved, lost, been joyful and cried with them all. I want to give the entire cast and crew a very heartfelt thank you for all you have given us through the years. Wherever your paths lead, whether it’s with Prospect Park to continue letting us love (or hate as the case maybe) your character or to move on to other adventures and experiences, I wish you all happiness and love. Signed: A very grateful fan

6. Kelly says:

Angie&Jesse/Greg&Jenny reunited on the View :)

7. Joline says:

Thank you TV LIne for acknowledging the last day of All My Children. It’s a sad day for all the fans.

8. Nance says:

Today is a VERY sad day for all of us…fans and actors. I have watched AMC since 1971 and it is a part of my life and one that I will truly miss daily. I am hoping with high expectations that Prospect Park can bring this show and story back into our lives. I am a lover of “Royal Pains” that Prospect Park now produces on USA, so I think that they will do a good job with AMC. Wouldn’t it be great if USA would pick up AMC and OLTL?! I am hoping that the entire cast of these shows moves with Prospect Park. I know that JR has gone back to B&B and Angie moved to Y&R…maybe we can get them back!

9. Nicole B says:

I have been watching All My Children most of my life. I started watching with my mother and grandmother, then with my sister and friends and now as a mother myself. I can remember periods of my life and what was happening then on AMC. Cliff/Nina, Crazy Palmer, Jenny/Greg accident on the water, intros of the character we watch now. The birth of JR, Bianca, Kendells arrival, Leo’s death. All great moments in AMC history. I cant wait to see what the future brings for the characters from the show and the actors. I will miss it on TV but am excited to welcome the future of soap operas on the internet. LOVE THEM AND CANT WAIT. <3 <3

10. Sara says:

I started watching the show again when Grenlee came back on, and when she was reunited with Ryan. I feel that they, along with Tad, are the heart of the show. I hope that all three of them remain on the show!!!

11. Nancy says:

Are they going to be doing the show where you can still watch it online?

12. Cindy Clark says:

We thank you AMC for 41 wonderful years please let us see you all at PP AMC.We need you !!!!!!!!!

13. Melanie says:

Meg, Do you think there is a possibility that USA would pick up AMC? I hope so. I have been a loyal fan since the beginning. I will be totally lost. I am so sad. The cast has been my extended family and I will miss them all terribly. Best of luck to all the wonderful cast members and thanks for giving me a special escape for all those years.

14. Judy says:

I’m very sad, I have watched AMC since the very beginning when it was just a half hour show in black and white. (yes that makes me old) Erica and I have grown up together I guess you would say. I will miss AMC a lot and have no idea how I will fill that hour, because it sure won’t be watching something called “The Chew” Thank you to everyone at AMC for 41 wonderful years.

• Annette says:

As I sit here and read all these comments, this is the one I most agree with. I, too, have watched AMC since the beginning. I’ve been through all the births, deaths, divorces and Erica’s marriages. It grieves me so that ABC is dropping AMC for a stupid cooking show when we can turn on the food network whenever we want. Likewise, I am dropping ABC as a viewing channel. Desperate Housewives is going off the air after this season and that is the last ABC show this household watches. Therefore, Mr. Frons can keep his millions of dollars and produce crap that nobody wants to watch. Thank you, PP for picking up this show. I only hope a lot of the regulars will sign to stay on. I would wish that we could watch AMC on USA as they run a lot of re-runs in the afternoons. I love my Pine Valley extended family and miss them terribly. Thank you cast for many years of joyful television viewing.

15. clare cericola says:

They could not bring jenny back. If you seen the news. She was doing a speech not sure who fore but was with very important people ,
    And she was noticeable stoned.on what don’t know.SUCH A SHAM!

16. Kathy says:

I am very sad.I hope ABC chokes on the Chew.

• Dawn says:

LOL… very well said, Kathy! ;o)

• Alice A. Utkus says:

I am very sad to see All My Children taken off the air. Watching a program on the internet is not nearly as enjoyable as watching it on TV plus many older people are not able to watch a program on the internet. You can rest assured I will never watch The Chew. Don’t we have enough cooking shows and talk shows on TV.

Alice – September 24, 2011

17. Dawn says:

I like so many other fans shed many tears this week as All My Children came to an end. I am bitter towards ABC right now, though I know things must change. I am very hopeful after today’s finale cliffhanger that AMC will go on. I am worried if it’s carried by such channels as USA the fans here in Canada won’t have access. Here’s hoping Prospect Park remembers all the fans.

18. Joe DeVitto says:

I watched the Show for 30 years its been the best show . great cast , great storylines. they didnt need to cancel this and take something away from millions of fans out there . The ending was not what i expected was disappointed in the way it ended with a shooting and now we have no way to know who got shot .. Wish everyone the best and thanks for being in my life for 30 years xox Joe

19. kim says:

Why did it end this way. What did JR do? Sucks we will never find out.:(

20. Linda says:

Really sad day. Cried during the tribute on The View. Praying that ALL My Children will also be aired on a cable station or I won’t be able to watch. Internet connection here in rurual land is not strong enough for video streaming. Please PP think of everyone. Find a way to put this show and OLTL on a cable network, as well as online.

21. Amy says:

Thanks Rebecca for so many years of fun stuff. I loved you with Leo first but Ryan a close second.And let’s not forget about you and Scott! But your best work was with Erica and Kendall. LOL. I hope you get a prime time gig.

22. Amy says:

Forgot to add for Megan. Can you keep us advised on PP? I have a feeling ABC will pull down the AMC board soon and fans will want to know what’s going on. Thanks.

23. Dawn says:

I have watched AMC since it started. I was a senior in High School and would rush home at noon to see it. Like so many, I have grieved quite a bit this week. For 41 years I’ve had lunch with the cast of AMC, or late night snack during during those many years I watched via VCR. I LOVED the way each family was highlighted earlier in the week, but today’s finale was disappointing. I guess this is like every cliff-hanging Friday… we will have to wait…

24. Luc Mizell says:

I thought Jillian was coming back. Did I miss her somehow?

25. just what we need more talk shows,you didnt need to cancel all my children there is plenty of air time to put everything on shorten all my children to a half hour again its better than canceling it all together.

26. Kathy says:

So years ago the cliffhanger on Dallas….who shot Jr…now it is w’tho did JR shoot…..hated the ending…..and who is the other person David saved…and are there more….if PP doesn’t work out..we will never know…..

27. Eric says:

I love Rebecca Budig! I started watching AMC when Marcy Walker went back in the late 90s, after years watching her on Santa Barbara. I stayed with the show because of Rebecca. Greenlee is/was a great character. Rebecca brought humor and edge to the show. When she left, it left and I left, for the most part. When she came back, a spark did, too. Unfortunately the show got bogged down for the last few years in some uninteresting stuff. Still watched though and now I’ll miss it. With respect to the ending, I could’ve dealt with Erica’s Scarlett O’Hara moment as a fun ending alongside the rest, which was a nice tribute to fans. The JR sound effect during the fade…unnecessary.

28. gerriann says:

I’M. GRIEVING THAT IT WAS THE LAST OF AMC AND AT THE OTHER HAND I’M VERY Happy it WILL CONTINUE THANKS TO PP

29. Brad says:

Like so many of you, I have watched AMC since the beginning. There’s no denying that the storytelling faltered here and there over the last few years. If nothing else positive can be said for it, the announcement that the show would cease its television run drove Agnes Nixon and Julie Carruthers back to focus on the core characters and send the TV show out as a valentine to its longtime fans. For that, I’m grateful. And I will follow AMC to its new online home if – and ONLY if – it can focus on that richer, more character- and issue-driven storytelling it was famous for. My thanks to every one of the AMC community for making the last forty-one years a commitment worth keeping. I also want to say thanks but no thanks to Brian Frons, who refused to support serialized fiction telling, an art form popular since the literature of Dickens, and to wish THE CHEW a short, ignominious run on ABC.

30. chris says:

I been watch the show since I was 12 years old it felt like I lost my best friends I am really going to miss the actors actresses that don’t return. All my children are name after some of the actress and actors Erica Natalie, Tara Brook, Angela Jessie Bennette. These are my favorite and I just became a grandmother of twin boys Ryan and Zachary. So as you see I really love AMC. Can’t wait to see those that return online I be there.

31. Michelle says:

I have been watching this show for 15yrs and am so sad it has come to an end.I hope that someone will realize that this soap needs to come back on the air not online.The ending was sooo disappointing.I actually had to dvr soapnet 2x after I watched friday’s episode to make sure I didnt stop dvr’ing too early. Horrible ending but I will stay hopeful. All of the actors/actresses are great.Please bring them all back.

32. DD says:

Ditto! I have always enjoyed the time away from reality with the All My Children family. Thank you to each one of the actors for sharing in my last 40 years! I will miss you! Best of luck to you all! I will not be watching the Chew!

33. Ceedie says:

When will the soaps be online for us to watch??

34. Teri says:

did not and will not watch the chew, hate ABC & Disney for such a ridiculous choice.

35. Monica says:

I was not happy with the cliffhanger ending…. I would have loved to see Babe and Leo back. There is too much up in the air without a definitive answer of whether or not the show will be returning.

36. paula says:

When does All My Children come back on with Paradise Park? When can we expect to be able to see it on line? I thought it would start up right away.

37. Caryn says:

I’m very sad to see all my children leave the air. but happy to see that they are coming back on the internet. i have watched all my children for as long as i can remember. when i got older me and my mom watched togather every day my mom is gone now and she would be very mad to see that it would not be on tv and also about one life to live as well.i just hope that all the actor’s come back.

38. I feel so empty today no All My Children yesterday, and to read that some are not coming back to AMC is so sad, I watched this soap evolve for 40 years, they are like family to me, and when one does not have family sort of, well you feel the pain when they are gone, I love each and everyone of the actors, they have done a supurb job in thier acting careers, and they only wanted me to watch more of them, I wish them well all of them after bringing such joy into my life each day of the week. But I will be be viewing ABC nor it’s new shows to replace AMC and OLTL, I feel the Exec. (the dummy in charge) is so wrong in taking away what we call a treasure in our lives each day, I will not watch ABC any longer so the people that are buying advertising for the new show, you have wasted your money for I won’t be buying any of thier products, nor will I watch thier ad’s….so good bye ABC you have made a big mistake…

39. Donalyn says:

Being a fan for over 30 years, i too, am grieving. I want to thank the cast and crew of AMC for allowing me to follow them all of those years, to laugh & cry with them. I already miss each & everyone of you. January is to far off for the next show.

I hope ABC & Disney realize what a BIG mistake they have made. I would turn on the TV for GMA and leave it on for the day, sometimes watching and sometimes not, until AMC came on. Then I was glued to the TV (friends know – don’t call between 1 & 2). Now, the TV doesn’t come on at all some days.

40. susan sears says:

I feel like the rest of the posters. What was ABC thinking?? Really, really stupid ABC!! You’ve lost a viewer of 40+ years.

41. mary-ann says:

The execs at ABC are being penny-wise and pound foolish. AMC has a huge loyal folowing.They don’t realize that the Neilson figures are missing huge audiences, those that watch on line, those in Canada and all those who tape the show to watch in the evening. Yes, most women are working but we watch the show at night. By the way there are a lot of men who like AMC. I will never tape a stupid show like the Chew. If networks continue this downward trend to sub mediocrity we will simply stop to watch tv and either read more or rent movies on the internet. AMC is not just a soap. It introduced subjects that were once taboo like rape, intermarriage, gay characters and treated them with sensitivity.

42. Sev says:

I will miss AMC as it was but will continue watching it with Prospect Park… what I would like to see now is a list of the actors that resigned with the show and will continue to live in Pine Valley….. I hope ABC Chokes on their decision to replace AMC with The Chew I will NOT watch it and will never watch it and have told all of my friends in person, on my Mystery Lyrics mailings and Facebook to BOYCOTT THE CHEW

43. jeanne says:

I saved the last week of AMC and will wait till next month to watch again. That will help with the withdrawls. ABC is dead to me except for OLTL and GH. I won’t even watch the last season of Desperate housewifes or Greys. Not dancing with the stars either.
    ABC IS DEAD!!!!! Down with Micky Mouse!!!!!

44. Robyn says:

When will AMC continue on the web? I have watched the show for so many years, and was thrilled to hear that it will be taken over by Prospect. How long do we have to wait??

45. martha ellis says:

BRING ALL MY CHILDREN BACK ,GET ANOTHER WRITER.CHANNEL 8 IS SO BORING AND PLEASE ON THE CABLE LINE.I ENJOY ALL MY CHILDREN.

46. Traci R says:

I am 41 yrs old and have been watching AMC all my life. I started watching with my mom as far back as I can remember (I don’t remember a time when I didn’t watch). The thing I loved most about the summer was watching AMC. During the school year, I remember racing home to find out what happened that day, and my mom would always catch me up (now we have vcr’s, dvr’s, tivo, etc. so we never miss an episode). I joke around with my husband and kids saying I am going thru withdrawals, but in reality this show has been such a big part of my life that I feel like I am in mourning. My mom passed away last year, and now not only am I mourning her, but also OUR show. I’m sure Prospect Park will do a good job, but it won’t be the same without all the same actors. ABC – I don’t think you realize how much people love AMC (and all the actors) and we will boycott your network until you bring it back.

47. Maude says:

I have read the comments and like most I really miss the show! I Have been watching since 1977 and for me Amc was a great way to learn english yes I am french but then it became the family I did not have. Over the years it was even more interesting to see some of the actors branch out and come back or do other shows or movies… I was so proud to see that Cameron Mathison made it on the show and became who he is today. I had met him through his modeling agency in Montreal. While I was growing up to become a professional photographer my one constant was AMC. When I watched it was my way to relax and enjoy all kinds of Drama and I loved it!!! Sad to see this great tradition switched for The Chew!! I watched the other day to see what they had in mind and I did not get to the end of the show I was so stressed it’s like the marathon of info and cooking then all these tips they think we all need it’s like fast fast fast stuff, all that info crammed fffew….I was exhausted after 15 minutes!!!! Hello Executives what were you thinking! You cannot replace all the AMC actors especially Susan Lucci for those 5 hosts! I don’t know how long this show will last but certainly not 41 years like AMC!!!! I believe in changes & progress so let’s see how AMC will come back to life I can’t wait!

48. rose says:

i miss not seeing my fav’s and i wish them all the best will look at the new look when it gets on line

49. Carol says:

I am having the worst All My Children withdrawals. Like any 41 year old addiction, there is truly physical pain at noon every day when instead of seeing my old friends, there is this gawd awful cooking(?) show. Can’t wait for January!

50. Gwen arnett says:

I watch the very first episode of all my children when it first came on its my favorite soap miss them dearly the chew sucks .i hope and pray they end back up on reg tv .love you guys alwAys