Fall TV Preview

The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Thursday

Hitting your TV screen this week are no less than 60 season and series premieres, so for now we’re going daily with The TVLine-Up. (For those who must plan ahead, here is our complete Fall TV premieres calendar, plus I summarize what’s coming up the following day.)

But for now, here’s what’s happening on….

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Has Penny slept with one geek too many? And how’s that long-distance California-New Delhi relationship working for ya, Leonard?

8 pm Community (NBC) | There’s a coupla new sheriffs in town. One looks like Dan Conner, the other like Omar Little.

8 pm Charlie’s Angels (ABC) | Worth watching only if you were born before Jedi and are curious to see how it measures up (…or not) to the original series and/or the movies. Plus, for reasons unsaid, we need this to stick around at least another three weeks or so.

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | As Damon gets into a tussle with an unexpected enemy, Klaus hits a snag using Simon Camden to supercharge his powers.

Parks and Rec Preview: Leslie’s Dilemma, The Tammys Drink to Ron’s Fate, and a Huge Reveal

8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Leslie has a choice to make – or will Ben help make it for her? Plus: Andy gets a new job, Anne becomes very popular, and Ron’s facial hair is alllll over the place.

9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) | Once this two-hour premiere is over, will Meredith have lost A) her job, B) her husband and/or C) baby Zola? You only think you know the answer.

9 pm Person of Interest (CBS) | Michael Emerson is a rich and mysterious chap who gets from a “machine” the Social Security number of someone about to be involved in a crime. Jim Caviezel is a former CIA op recruited to try to save the assorted days, while Taraji P. Henson is a NYPD detective vexed by Caviezel as well as her slighted presence in promo materials. (Read my full Fall TV First Impression here.)

Fall TV Mystery Solved! Person of Interest Will Explain How Its Crime-Predicting Gizmo Works

9 pm The Office (NBC) | Welcome to the Robert California, as James Spader joins up as the new CEO. But who’s the new Scranton boss, you ask for the 7,000th time since spring 2010? Tune in, find out.

9 pm The Secret Circle (The CW) | Diana tries her best to keep the circle’s aggregate power in check, but Resident Bad Girl Faye is having none of that.

10 pm The Mentalist (CBS) | Did Jane actually kill Red John? Or was a certain former White House Deputy Chief of Staff merely in the wrong place at the wrong time?

10 pm Prime Suspect (NBC) | In this adaptation of the acclaimed, Helen Mirren-fronted UK series, Maria Bello plays an NYPD police detective who in the pilot struggles to get respect in a male-dominated precinct — but that whole “gender war” thing apparently is being ditched moving forward. It’s worth a look, if her omnipresent fedora doesn’t make your teeth itch.

10 pm It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) | The gang’s trip to the Jersey Shore proves to be even more disgusting than the MTV version and its denizens. (No, it is possible.) P.S. Do not go under the boardwalk.

10:30 pm Archer (FX) | In Part 2 of the animated com’s three-week burst, Archer lords over his tropical retreat while his colleagues grow less and less interested in finding him.

Coming up on Friday: Kitchen Nightmares, Nikita, A Gifted Man (CBS)… CSI: NY, Fringe, Supernatural, Dateline… Blue Bloods.

1. Jess says:

So excited about Big Bang!!!! Also Parks & Rec. Unfortunatelt 2 eps of TBBT means I’ll have to dvr Parks and watch later. But at least there won’t be future conflicts between those two shows!
    Will tune in for the office but with trepidation. Secret Circle and Gale-shaped hotness will have to wait ’till the 2nd half of the hour.

2. SK says:

Tuning in to The Vampire Diaries, and will DVR the Big Bang Theory!

3. Matt says:

I’ll watch: Parks and Rec; Greys; Person of Interest and Prime Suspect.

4. lala says:

My DVR works overtime on Thursdays (and I love it!). What with Community, Parks & Rec, VD, Grey’s, The Office, and Sunny … most of my favorite shows just happen to be on the same night.
    I love Fall Tv!

5. SarahLou says:

Grey’s – I think Meredith loses her job, her husband and her baby all in one episode :(

6. Ingmar says:

Grey’s & Big Bang Theory

7. Sa says:

Will definitly be watching Grey’s! And I’ll watch Community and TVD later. Maybe check in with Charlie’s Angels too… If it gets good reviews ;)

8. Lucia says:

Definitely watching Greys tonight and Big Bang Theory.

9. Kat says:

X Factor is getting knocked off the DVR list tonight for Parks and Rec and TBBT. I haven’t watched last night’s episode yet, but I’m interested to see what how X Factor does in the US considering it’s a huge hit all over the world and all of the Idol franchises have more or less disappeared. I think my DVR is recording something like 4.5 hours of television tonight, I’m going to have to watch a lot of TV this weekend to clear some space for it to record most of these shows again next week.

10. Courtney says:

For sure The Vampire Diaries. I’m watching Community online – oh how I wish they were on at different times. And then I’m going to watch the Grey’s premiere – I thought I’d choose The Secret Circle, but I can’t shake my devotion to Grey’s even after 8 years. So The Secret Circle online too. And Charlie’s Angels.

11. Chris says:

Is there a reason that most critics haven’t made the connection between Person of Interest and Minority Report?

12. John says:

If Jane hasn’t killed Red John, I’d be very depressed.
    I was actually ecstatic that the writers are delving into new territory by taking out the main antagonist this early on (hopefully) in the show’s life.

But then again, we won’t fully get closure on the missing psychic.

It’s a shrug of a deal, but I really want to see how the writers move forward if Red John were actually dead.

• jenna says:

I agree, I can’t wait to see how the first episode plays out. If Red john is really dead will jane still stay with the cbi? And if not will he stay in jail

13. JD says:

Very excited that Grey’s is back and happy about the two hours!

14. Lisa says:

Vamp Diaries, Parks & Rec, Secret Circle. I might DVR Charlie’s Angels or possibly watch online at a later date.

15. Ashley says:

Community and Person of Interest live; Charlie’s Angels DVRed if I feel so inclined.

16. Meg says:

Did you forget about Whitney?

17. JustineK says:

It’s The Mentalist, Person of interest and The Vampire Diaries for me;)

18. Nadine says:

Will watch TBBT, The Office, The Mentalist. DVR Community and P&R, will catch X-Factor online. I gave up on Grey’s 2 yrs ago. Too bad for Charlie’s Angels and Person of Interest, so much good TV on Thursdays. I’ll give those shows a try if they’re still on the air in a few weeks.

19. zoot says:

meh…nothing good on Thursdays any more. Grey’s is/always has been boring, The Office is so done, Community and Parks and Rec are overrated, Charlie’s Angels is going to be horrible, don’t like anything to do with vampires..I only sometimes watch The Mentalist because I have watched it each season, but don’t really care any more. At least my DVR will get a rest

20. AT says:

I’ll watch The Vampire Diaries, Person of Interest (I’ll DVR it) and The Secret Circle. I may eventually check out Prime Suspect once.

21. Tee says:

Wow, Matt. I think that little dig at Ms. Henson was unnecessary. Although, being a fan of yours for a long time now, I can understand the old school loyalty. But I feel she had a legitimate beef about the situation. I for one, was already interested in watching, (I love the movie Frequency and loved Lost), but there’s alot on tonight. But now that I know she’s a lead, I’m definitely going to check it out. In fact, if it wasn’t for the cover issue, I would have never known she was on the show at all. If she really is supposed to be a lead on the show, then the promos on tv, the web, and in print have snubbed her all around. She’s an Academy Award Nominee for goodness sakes. You’d think the show would want to promote that. But besides all that, I look forward to TBBT, TVD, Persons, and Grey’s most tonight.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

How was it a “dig” to BRING IT TO PEOPLE’S ATTENTION? I’d have linked to her very valid rant (which I supported on Twitter, small detail), but she removed it.

• Tee says:

Ok, I’m sorry if I took that wrong. I honestly wrote that, posted it, and then re-read your words and thought “Maybe he didn’t mean it that way.” Again, my bad. After reading tv stuff from the usual suspects for years now, I guess my ear is just trained to hear snark in everything.

22. Amy says:

POP POP!! my show “Community” returns tonight!

23. Jessica says:

I’m going to Tivo the new shows Person of Interest and Prime Suspect, but will be watching Big Bang Theory and Grey’s Anatomy live.

24. amelia says:

super excited to watch greys!! its going to be epic!!

• Gretchen says:

Grey’s has a LOT of loose ends to tie up, can’t wait to see what Cristina does, Meredith, the new Chief Resident. Will watch semi-live (start 45 minutes late so I can forward through commercials).

25. fernando says:

People already judging Charlie’s Angels and the pilot havent even aired yet, just watch it first and see if ya like it n then talk about it, im going to watch it tonight and I hope its really good.

• Gretchen says:

Yup. I always give a new show at least 2 or 3 episodes before panning it.

I wouldn’t want to be judged by my first days on a new job either!

26. Sarah El says:

How dare TBBT, Vampire Diaries, Community, and Parks and Recreation all fall within the same hour? The same hour in which I have a conflict? Shaaaame.

27. kevin says:

I’ll always be tuning in to Charlie’s Angels even if it gets good ratings. Also planning to watch Person of Interest and Prime Suspect. Didn’t watch X Factor last night and Fox maybe looking at a show going from buzzworthy to complete garbage.

28. Brandy says:

Vampire Diaries,Secret Circle,check out charlies angels

29. charlotte says:

Community’s back! All is well. The perfect antidote for a boring day at work. Let’s face it by the time Thursday rolls around most of us can use a dose of original comedy.

30. uhyeahright says:

Wow this one hour season premiere for Big Bang Theory was supposed to be funny, but for most of it, I found it more disgusting and stupid. I usually laugh out loud when watching Big Bang Theory, but not this time around.

31. shalimarfox80 says:

I have no interest in Charlie’s Angels but I’ll watch the Erica Durance episode. My love for this girl knows no bounds.

32. Why is there always one evil girl when it comes to witchcraft. The Craft was a perfect example of this. Is it just stupid youth or is it just cool to act like an ass?

33. You should be proud for another brilliant article.