Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Secret Circle, Grey's, NCIS: LA, Castle, Criminal Minds and More!

What did the original Secret Circle do to their sleepy little town? Will Grey’s Anatomy’s Teddy Altman try to play doctor with Owen again? How did NCIS: LA‘s Kensi Blye get so awesome? Read on for those answers, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

The Secret Circle | You want Gale Harold, I got Gale Harold! And I hit him with two burning questions I had coming out of the CW series’ premiere. No.1: What the heck happened 16 years ago in Chance Harbor? “Well, there’s the real version,” he started, “and then there’s Charles’ version, and then there’s Dawn’s version, and then there’s what the kids know or have heard.” In other words, the show will take its time to reveal The Incident (as I like to call it), and change up the context as it goes along. But rest assured, it was a cataclysmic event. “I have probably created some [version of the truth] to justify it to myself because it was bad, it was really bad,” Harold notes, “and it is human nature to make excuses.” Question No. 2: Why not just kill Adam’s chatty drunk of a dad? Did someone run out of kitchen matches…? For starters, Harold reckons, “I can go out of town and take somebody out, but if I do it next door, it might make things too complicated.” Plus, Harold likes having fellow Queer As Folk alum Adam Harrington around as a sparring partner. “The anger and the heartache and the jealousy that Ethan has wrapped up in all of this is going to put his son in a very difficult situation.”

The Secret Circle: Your Handy Guide to Which Witch Is Witch!

Criminal Minds | As you may have noticed during Wednesday night’s premiere, JJ Jareau is kinda “badass” now, as A.J. Cook raved to us recently. “She’s been off with the State Department, and she’s learned a lot and matured a lot during this time away,” says the actress. Plus, Cook happily points out, “JJ is stepping back into that profiler zone, which is exciting for me because now I get to be doing what everyone else is doing. We don’t need to come up with excuses why JJ is in a certain scene. She’s there because she should be. Yeah, she’s pretty badass now.” (And, well, simply pretty.)

Criminal Minds Season 7 Gets Personal, Bringing Back JJ’s Baby Daddy and More

Grey’s Anatomy | As you will see very early on in the season premiere, Teddy and Henry are going strong (and going at it like rabbits). So “Crowen” fans needn’t worry that Dr. Altman tries to climb that tree again. “I think for the first time she’s really found ‘true love,'” ventures Kim Raver. “Teddy has fallen very hard for Henry, and the great thing is that it’s reciprocated and it’s sort of the first time for Teddy that that’s really happened. It’s a really great, healthy, loving thing.” OK, but is it a time-sensitive thing as well, seeing as Scott Foley popped up in the True Blood season finale a few weeks back? “People have juggled two shows at once,” Raver reminds. “We’ll have to see!”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on the Grey’s Anatomy Season Premiere, and More!

Castle | As part of what series creator Andrew W. Marlowe calls “our typical mixture of really fun episodes and really serious episodes,” Castle this Monday will find the team tasked with tracking down a masked vigilante who fancies himself a superhero. Jon Huertas didn’t want to reveal too much about the outing – “I have my own secret identity called No Spoiler Man,” he jokes – but he did say the case will find the team taking sides. “This superhero gets things done, and is a force to be reckoned with, so some of us root for the guy, and some think he’s a wacko who needs to be gotten off the streets before he gets hurt.” All told, Esposito’s portrayer promises “a fun episode. People are really going to enjoy themselves.”

Castle Creator Explains Beckett’s Big Secret

Parenthood | If you noticed, as we did, that Fiona Gublemann of FX’s Wilfred was playing Sandy, the waitress crushing on Crosby in the season premiere, you should also know this: “We do see her in another episode, but not dating Crosby,” series boss Jason Katims tells TVLine. Instead, Crosby’s dance card will be filled with other lovely lasses, to be sure. Says Katim, “We will, over the course of the season, see at least one or two other potential romantic interests for him” – maybe a certain White Collar hottie included?

NCIS: LA Season 3 Is Armed With Big Secrets and a Fun Switcheroo

NCIS: Los Angeles | Those who gobbled up my season preview with EP Shane Brennan saw that at some point this winter, the show will delve into Kensi’s backstory. Will these reveals tell us a bit about how she got to be so spunky? “It definitely informs why she is who she is, and it also informs the real truth behind why she became an agent,” Brennan told me. In a previous episode, he reminds, “We revealed that her father was murdered, so we explore that, and it is gut-wrenching and heart-wrenching.” Teases the boss, “It’ll be very interesting to see how she comes out of that [revisiting]– or whether she does.”

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Meg Masters and Vlada Gelman)

1. silencero says:

Gary Glasberg is EP of NCIS not NCIS:LA … I think you mean Shane Brennan @Matt

2. Faith says:

I can’t wait for Castle! Last Monday was amazing.

3. Michael Sacal says:

The promo for next week’s episode of Castle was disappointing. I thought we were going to see an actual Marvel character, but instead it’s a made up superhero from a nonexistent publisher who kindda looks like Daredevil.

Whatever happened to the real Marvel character that was going to appear on the show?

• He-Touches-Things says:

Who said there was going to be a *real* Marvel character? All I had heard was that Marvel was publishing a *real* Derek Storm graphic novel.

• Michael Sacal says:

This is one of many similar results I got on Yahoo.

Marvel Superhero Coming to ABC’s Castle

ABC’s president reveals that Castle and Beckett will have their hands full with a “super.”

In an interesting turn of events that could only have happened since Disney bought Marvel, at the TCA Summer Press Tour today, ABC President Paul Lee revealed that a Marvel character would be coming to their hit romantic-mystery series, Castle.

“You know, I don’t know if I’m allowed to say it, but we’ve got a really cool storyline with a Marvel character that appears on Castle this year,” Lee said. “If you guys haven’t seen the finale for Castle from this past season, it’s extraordinary. [Castle creator] Andrew Marlow is really hitting his stride. And that was an underrated show that really found its momentum. And there’s one episode, and I’m probably giving away a secret and I shouldn’t because Andrew is going to kill me, with a Marvel superhero character.”

There’s more about that in the article at the link.

• Evan Meadow says:

MOTA, I’m just hoping they throw in a better plug for the Castle graphic novel that episode since it comes out the Wed after the episode airs.

4. Elizabeth says:

I am LOVING all the “NCIS: LA” coverage lately. Thanks, Matt!

5. Lauren says:

I think you might need to edit that last sentence of Gale Harold’s. I couldn’t really understand what he was trying to say…

“The anger and the heartache and the jealousy that Ethan has wrapped up in all of this is go to put his son in a very difficult situation.”

• romy says:

Maybe it would be more easy for you if you wait and seee the next episodes of “The Secret Circle”. I don´t find so difficult to understand the sentence

• Lauren says:

Well then you obviously didn’t read what I posted, because it doesn’t make sense. And as you can see above, in the actual article, he edited it to make sense.
        It was simply a case of him writing ‘go’ instead of ‘going’ but it messed with my brain and I couldn’t understand it. Nonetheless, it needed to be edited.

• MAS says:

Could you please explain why you would replace go with going? It doesn’t read right to me now. It should be whatever the actor actually said because it is in quotes, but I am interested in knowing what grammar rule you are applying for future reference.

Thanks.

6. kate says:

I hope Scott Foley stays. Teddy and Him are the reason why I’m so excited to watch Grey’s later. They’re so adorable together. And a fresh thing on Grey’s, not a doctor-doctor kind of relationship plus the way their relationship started is so so cute. Indeed, it’s a good story.

• Babygate says:

Agreed! Love, LOVE Henry and Teddy together. Henry is a keeper. He is likeable and sweet and humble which is a difference from the typical arrogance of male doctors. He and Teddy bring a levity that is sometimes needed because it wasn’t all dramatic and intense but organic and sweet.

7. susie says:

Love Gale Harold!!!
    Love his character in Secret Circle, thanks for writing about him.
    Can’t wait to see more Charles!!1

8. Kathy says:

Enjoyed the premiere of Secret Circle and really looking forward to this season! Love Gale Harold, thank you for this interview.

9. romy says:

Thank you for the scoop of “The Secret Circle” & yes, we want Gale Harold all the time!! :) I like the idea that the serie will be more sexy & darker

10. SC says:

Yup. Scott Foley will be juggling a lot of work and he has that executive producing a show thingy. Gawd! I hope he stays on Grey’s. He’s the best thing that happened on the show lately. And a lot will be devastated if he leaves.

11. Angela says:

“We don’t need to come up with excuses why JJ is in a certain scene.”

That doesn’t make any sense to me. Why would they need to come up with excuses for why a Supervisory Special Agent and member of the BAU was in scenes? Sure, on those rare occasions when joined in presenting the profile it didn’t really make sense for her to be there. And, probably when she was in an interrogation with an unsub, but again, those were rare scenes. But, the majority of her scenes, it seemed perfectly logical for a federal agent, which JJ has always been, to be there.

12. verybookish says:

Love Gale Harold!
    Love seeing him play the bad guy, while also being careful to be seen as nice in front of his daughter and the townsfolk–and not killing someone who lives down the street.
    Looking forward to more Gale Harold on my TV!

13. Kiki says:

Hold your tongue, Matt. Why oh why would you think it’s a good idea to even mention that horrible triangle of doom (Teddy,Owen/Christina)? Even Shonda knows it was horrible – why else would KR be all over admitting that the whole thing was in Teddy’s head and that now she’s finally in love for the first time. Too bad they didn’t admit it half way through Season 6 – what a total waste.

14. galefan says:

I do want Gale Harold! How did you know?

15. Ed says:

I didn’t know that Adam’s Dad on Secret Circle was on QAF, I looked it up and saw that he played Connor James. Who the heck is Connor James?? I never heard of him. he appeared in 4.13 4.14 5.01 5.02 So I am assuming it was a big arc that took him through the S4 finale into the S5 premiere.

16. Billie says:

Can someone just firm this up for me? JJ is an actual profiler now? Is she still the media liaison too? I mean she was great in the premiere – lots of ass kicking and attitude. But I believe she said something to Prentiss along the lines of “they brought me in when they were looking for a replacement for you”. Anyone who understood this better than me, I would greatly appreciate your straightening this out for me.

• Renee says:

If I remember correctly JJ is a profiler now and Garcia is going to be handling the media stuff or at least the presentation of the cases and working in the field more with the team like JJ used to do. (Run on sentence. I’m tired.)

17. maphy says:

True Blood, don’t dare interfere with Scott Foley’s GA schedule! Lol. I want plenty of Teddy and Henry loving this season. They’re almost the perfect couple, just almost coz of that VHL thingy. I know this will sound mushy – they are a perfect reminder of how beautiful love is.

18. Jane says:

Thanks for the interview…love Gale Harold.

19. dee123 says:

Dear NCIS LA producers

NOBODY cares about Kensi.

Thank you.

• El says:

I really enjoy Kensi and look forward to her exploring her past.

• shaun says:

Kensi is real pretty and I like her banter….nobody cares about LL Cool J.

• Jay says:

I think the entire cast is great and NCISLA had one of the best premiers this season – to date (Castle too was up there).

• Torah Dear says:

Dear dee123

You sure? Did you know that Kensi’s minutes on NCIS:LA were extended because the public requested it? Did you know that Kensi was voted 2nd favourite NCIS:LA character, behind Deeks and they were voted best couple?
      You’d better think about it one more time. Because, for your information, you’re WRONG.

Thank you.

20. Ella says:

I love Teddy and Henry, but only if they’re happy. :)

Secret Circle has been pretty crappy for its first two episodes. What I want to know is, does it ever actually get good.

21. Greta says:

Always love to hear the criminal minds scoop!