How I Met Your Mother Meets... Katie Holmes!

OMG, Katie Holmes is the Mother!

I kid, I kid.

But Mrs. Tom Cruise has landed a pivotal role on CBS’ How I Met Your Mother.

According to Vulture, the actress has been cast as the mysterious Slutty Pumpkin, a character first referred to during the show’s freshman season. (She was the one that got away from Ted at a Halloween party, ‘memba?)

Exclusive: HIMYM Boss on [Spoiler's] Return!

“Katie is a lovely and talented actress, which is why we’ve saved for her perhaps the most classily named character in our show’s history,” exec producer Craig Thomas joked to Vulture of the part, which he noted was “literally six seasons in the making.”

Holmes’ last TV series gig was a recurring role on ABC’s late legal drama Eli Stone.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Hmmm, not a Katie Holmes fan, so not so sure about this…

• Templar says:

She’s adorable. Too bad she can’t act.

• MadameDame says:

But she can. Love it.

• Summer says:

But she can’t. Hate it.

• Winter says:

No really, it’s her profession. You just hate her because she’s beautiful. And tall. She’s really tall. And married to a short guy. What was my point?

• Kusa says:

She is only 5’9. That isn’t that tall.

• Summer says:

It’s Tara Reid’s profession, too. And Keanue Reeves’. And countless other people’s. But they can’t all do it. There are some REALLY fantastic actors out there – Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, and current it girl Emma Stone, to name a few. But Katie Holmes isn’t one of them, I’m sorry to say.

• Jen says:

I was never a big Katie Holmes fan, but I saw her on Broadway in ‘All My Sons’ and she held her own opposite John Lithgow and Dianne Wiest (two amazing actors). She kind of turned me around after that. I can’t wait to see her on HIMYM.

• lorna says:

SO disappointed, liked her on DC. But UGH NOOOOOOO

• The show manages to make those types work sometimes. I was surprisingly not repulsed by the Britney Spears episodes.

• jenna says:

i’m on the fence with this, the show single-handedly made me dislike jennifer morrison however I agree that the britney spears episodes weren’t completely awful. Since this is a role we’ve all been waiting for I think I might feel let down on this one

• Ashlee says:

Katy Perry did a great job too: “Oh, Honey…”

• Tina says:

She used to be adorable, since she married that Psychopath (Tom Cruise) she lost her bubbly self. Katie’s daily life is monitored by the cult of Scientology and she can not even live a normal life. I was there and know it first hand, especially being around Tom Cruise is like living in Hitler’s camp.

2. Amy says:

tv this season is going to kill me!

3. amanda says:

she’s a horrible actress and not funny. dislike.

4. lei says:

Please, please, don’t screw up the new victoria storyline whit the slutty pumpkin.. specelly if she is palyed by katie holmes.

• noholmes says:

Completely agree! She should become a housewive, and since she likes being on tv, do a reality. It’s carp anyway so no harm done

5. yours truly says:

booooooo!

6. HK says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

7. dee says:

Why does this woman get work? She’s HORRIBLE, and has been since Dawson’s Creek.

8. João Amaral says:

meh

9. AnneSo says:

love the idea

10. Kaitlin says:

You know, everyone seems to forget that she is Joey Potter and that at one time everyone in American seemed to love her. I think we’re all guilty of basing our opinions of Katie more on her relationship with Tom Cruise than on her acting. I kind of like this idea. Or maybe I’m just really in the mood to watch some Dawson’s Creek, whatever. Everyone is overreacting to this casting information.

• O'Brien says:

The first few seasons of DC (especially the first), I thought she was great. I think it’s the post-Tom Cruise thing. Ever since then, it’s like she seems very above it all, you know? I mean, did you see The Kennedys? Mess. Anyway, I get what you’re saying, and I’m pulling for a Joey Potter-esque resurgence. We know she’s got it in her!

• Corinne says:

My disliking her directly stems from her time as Joey Potter on DC. The first year of the show, she was enjoyable, and as years went on, they made her character bitchier and bitchier to the point where I could no longer watch it. I feel bad for the fact that people dislike her because of her marriage, I dislike her based on her previous roles. The only thing I have liked her in was Go, and that was over 10 years ago.

• LEI says:

I liked her on DC, I just don’t see her on HIMYM

• lacey says:

I loved Dawson’s Creek as a teenager but I wouldn’t say anyone on there at the time was a great actor. Joshua Jackson and James Van Der Beek have proven themselves to be great adult actors. I can’t say anything about Michelle Williams since I haven’t seen any of her movies. As for Katie Holmes, I don’t dislike her just b/c she’s Mrs. Tom Cruise it’s b/c she’s a horrible actress. Just watch “Batman Begins” for proof. Katie Holmes is famous not b/c of her non-existant acting but b/c she married a movie star.

11. Gina says:

Um … first off … SPOILER ALERT!!! And also, she’s a horrible actress. Hollywood: Stop casting her in things! She sucks!

12. GK says:

So awesome!!!!! I didnt watch season 5 of HIMYM, but now I have to catch up on it!! Can’t wait to see Katie Holmes on the show!!

13. Lizzy says:

As a huge fan of this series for the past 6 years, I just do not understand this. AT ALL. This is all wrong.

14. Cynthia says:

Eeeewwwwwww noooooooooooo she’s the WORST!!!

15. Markus says:

OHHH F NOOO… c’mon seriously this has to be a joke right?

16. stacey says:

Seriously, why does TV keep trying ot make Katie Holmes happen?!?! She sucks…stop trying to push her down our throats.

• E says:

Since when is TV trying to push her down our throats? She hasn’t been on TV in almost 3 years. I haven’t seen her since on since DC ended.

17. mesh says:

No way! Katie Holmes might not be an Oscar winning actress but she is a good one. Loved it!

18. Elena says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I agree with Stacey – why do they keep trying to make Katie Holmes happen? She’s not going to happen!! QUIT IT ALREADY! Ugh, and on one of my favorite shoes too.

19. Ingmar says:

I love her since Dawsons Creek so I cant wait to see her!

20. xc says:

This is genius idea. She’s gonna draw huge ratings.

• Summer says:

By droves and droves of her and her husband’s “close and personal friends” I’m sure.

• Josh says:

You mean “draw huge rating down ward”? First episode of the HIMYM for the new season had over 12 million, lets see how low it goes with Katie’s untalented acting. The cast are already dreading working with her.

21. Courtney says:

I personally love her! Dawson’s Creek forever =)

22. Emily says:

I loved her in Dawson’s Creek, but in recent years…not so much! She was also probably one of the worst guest judges on SYTYCD ever!

23. Megan says:

Katie Holmes is such a bad actress, she ruins everything she’s in.

24. Kim says:

Stunt casting is what this is.

• O'Brien says:

True, but HIMYM has rarely failed when they’ve done it – it’s usually been of a homerun type quality. Who knows? Maybe they found her personality and put it back in her for the job. I’m being hopeful!

• k says:

This is why I’m going to refrain from judging until after I’ve seen the episode. I didn’t think Britney on the show would work, but it did. They generally have picked guest stars that work for the role.

25. Ben Kabak says:

LOVE HER!!!

26. lariet50 says:

You know, I’m all for the return of the Slutty Pumpkin, and I’m fine with Victoria coming back. If referring back to Season 1 is what it takes to recapture the hilarity of earlier seasons, no problem. But Katie Holmes? Really? Her voice gives me seizures.

27. KSM says:

If she’s more Joey Potter than Mrs. Tom Cruise, this could be good. I’m interested to see how this plays out!

28. Anissa says:

As long as she doesn’t sing or dance, and it’s for one ep, I’m fine with it…

29. Mal says:

BOOOOOOOOOO! No, that’s not me being a ghost for Halloween, it’s my reaction to this news. Poor choice, HIMYM producers. Poor choice. Didn’t you learn your lesson after Mandy Moore? Don’t have famous people on your show just because they’re famous; have famous people who can ACT be on your show!

30. Isabel says:

Since they seem to be into casting Dawson’s Creek alumni, why don’t they cast Joshua Jackson as a love interest to Robin? That I would watch.

31. Tee says:

Ewww. She was terrible on Eli Stone, here’s hoping she sucks less. What were they thinking?

• John says:

Tom Cruise has been begging his contact at Fox and other studio to give Katie something to do since his career is down. Tom is living life through promoting Katie and Suri.

32. Casey says:

So I guess I’m the only one who’s a fan of Katie Holmes. Oh well. Just cause she married Tom Cruise, that automatically makes her a bad person, right? Get over it! That was years ago! I for one am happy with this casting. She needs to be in more. And How I Met Your Mother is one of my all time favorite shows. So I’m very excited for this.

33. Kendall says:

Break out the root beer and Kahlua!

34. Eric Nixon says:

Thanks for the spoiler. I hate entertainment news sometimes.

• Alf says:

Oh, grow up. You “spoiler” crybabies should just stop reading altogether. There’s always something you goons whine about. “Hey, EW, you should’ve given us a ‘spoiler alert’ that you were going to talk about a 10 year old movie ending, a rumor posted on the internet for the last 3 months, something only I would consider a ‘spoiler,’ etc., etc., blah-blah-blah.” Stop reading already if you don’t want the possible “spoiler” every once in awhile. And like this is a real “spoiler” anyway.

• jess says:

and you read a spoiler-driven site because…..

35. Matt says:

I’m excited for Katie Holmes and VERY excited for the slutty pumpkin but I’m not at all joyous about her as the slutty pumpkin.

It doesn’t add up.

36. Christine says:

I’m so glad that I’m not the only one who is WISHING that Hollywood would stop making her TRY to happen. It hasn’t worked since the early 2000’s. And for those who love her b/c of Dawson’s Creek? People that show was over 10 years ago. Have you seen what she’s been in since? If you have, clearly you would understand why some of us are appalled by this casting decision. I didn’t think it could get much worse than her being in Eli Stone. I thought wrong. I hope the producers of HIMYM see how wrong of them it was to do this.

• ALEX says:

get a life and stop stalking katie

• Christine says:

Are you for real? Sorry that I came up with a legit comment about her and her acting skills. (BTW, that’s sarcasm.)

• @alex says:

I think you need to learn the definition of stalking

• David says:

Alex, you are definitely one of the Cult of Scientology member and sent by the church to put “positive” comments here for Katie. Scientologists also try to think that they are better than everyone else and teach others the “definition” of words.
          Alex, do you know who you really are? You are in a condition of TREASON yourself. It is time for you to move UP the condition and stop betraying mankind with your cultish viewpoint.

37. Mary says:

I think Katie Holmes is a really good actress when put in the right roles. When she gets into an environment like HIMYM that is really ensemble driven and people carry the weight equally she can shine. When she gets thrust into roles like Batman begins where the energy of the people involved isn’t necessarily spent on how well the people work together her acting is subdued. Plus when have Carter Bays and Craig Thomas ever let us down with this show?

38. Tanya says:

Love this casting news since I’ve been a fan of Katie since Dawsons Creek…and HIMYM is one of my fave shows,so it’s all good :)

39. Gillian says:

I’m so disappointed! I’ve been looking forward to seeing the slutty pumpkin since she first showed up, Katie Holmes just doesn’t fit in with the comedy of HIMYM. She’ll just awkwardly tuck her hair behind her ears and speak quietly.

40. Ally says:

I’m hoping that this is just a one off to prove to Ted that the Slutty Pumpkin wasn’t worth it. If that’s the case, I guess I can tolerate KH. To be honest, I’m not all that thrilled with Victoria coming back either. V and Zoey were my least fave of Ted’s ladies.

At least Barney, Marshall, Robin and Lily’s storylines are look good! Let’s face it, they’re the reason we all watch!

41. ladyhelix says:

Normally I would have been pleased – I like most of what Katie’s done to date – and that she puts up with Tom makes me admire her more. But last night I sat down to re-watch this year’s SYTYCD finale, and Katie TOTALLY ruined it. Single-handedly nails on the chalk board ruined it. I turned it off with many dances left un-viewed. Katie was SO un-forgivably lame and annoying that I actually DELETED it from my DVR – which is saying a lot because I LOVE the show and it’s not available on DVD.

So how do I react to knowing she’s going to be joining 2 of my favorite actors (Neil/Ally) on a show I really enjoyed this week?? I’m still counting to 10, but it doesn’t look good.

42. chaepenn says:

good for her and i’m excited to seen her again. i like her more on dc.

43. Mena says:

She can’t act!!! How come they’d rather publicity over talent??? She’ll be reprising her usual role, “sweet down to earth”. Cmon HIMYM!!! You’re so much better than this

44. b says:

I don’t care who’s playing her, I’m just excited to see SLUTTY PUMPKIN AGAIN! Woohoo! Between this and Victoria coming back, we’re getting a much-needed dose of continuity this season!

45. Jerome says:

Love Katie Holmes. She can most definitely act and is quite attractive to look at. I think she will fit right in with the cast. Nice.

46. allison says:

Ice Storm. Go. Wonder Boys. Pieces Of April. Where did this whole can Katie act thing come from? Hard to believe that people can’t think on their own and buy into all the crap that is splashed all over the tabloids. The girl can and does act. The marriage is real. Trust me Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise did not sit in a room and say how do we bring attention to our alien invasion movie? I know. Why don’t you marry that girl from Dawson’s Creek? I honestly don’t think people realize how stupid they look when they try and give credence to these things. Looking forward to seeing her on HIMYM.

47. mckennas says:

read between the lines. by “Katie is a lovely and talented actress, which is why…” he meant “her husband is a very powerful and rich actor, which is why we have to put up with such a talentless human and risk most of the fan base for future shows”

48. TheESolution says:

Finally, the mysterious slutty pumpkin (not thrilled about her being Katie Holmes though). And Victoria’s back too. Is this 2005 again?

49. Susan Botts says:

Tom Cruise seemed jealous of Nicole Kidman’s acting ability, her getting an Oscar, et cetera. At least he will never have to worry about that with Holmes. She keeps proving it over and over again. She makes his acting look good.

50. MandalayMai says:

I was really disappointed in himym premier this past week. i give my thoughts on it and other premiers in my latest blogpost. http://watchwithmai.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/the-old-the-new-and-the-slightly-disappointing/

I can’t say that I am thrilled about Katie Holmes either. She is one of those guest stars who is so famous for pretty much nothing now that seeing her on the screeen takes you out of the show. I like it when guest stars add something to the show and don’t make the show serve as a publicity half-hour for themselves.