Fall TV Preview

The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching Wednesday

Hitting your TV screen this week are no less than 60 season and series premieres, so we’ve changed things up a bit by going daily with The TVLine-Up. (For those who must plan ahead, here is our complete Fall TV premieres calendar, plus I handily summarize what’s coming up the following day.)

But for now, here’s what’s happening on….

1 pm All My Children (ABC) | As if Sarah Michelle Gellar didn’t already have you seeing double, here she returns to her soap roots by playing, no, not Kendall, but a delusional gal who thinks she’s Erica’s daughter. (This episode is also dedicated to AMC vet Mary Fickett (Ruth), who passed away this month.)

First All My Children Stars Sign Up for Soap’s Online Venture

8 pm The X Factor (Fox) | Simon, Paula, L.A. Reid and Nicole Scherzinger judge solo and group acts of all ages vying for a $5 million prize. The two-hour opener kicks things off with auditions in L.A. (the city, not the judge), Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Seattle and good ol’ Newark, N.J.

8 pm The Middle (ABC) | This hour-long season premiere finds the Hecks embarking on an end-of-summer camping trip, triggering honeymoon memories for Frankie, Mike and… Ray Romano?

Season Premiere Ratings: Survivor Drops, Up All Night Delivers

8 pm Up All Night (NBC) | Settling into its regular time slot, this week we learn that baby Amy doesn’t cotton to Ava, but instead fancies her assistant, Calvin (played by Nick Cannon). Amy has yet to be plopped in front of America’s Got Talent, I surmise.

8:30 pm Free Agents (NBC) | I wasn’t planning to pay this other NBC newbie much lip service, but based on comments last week in the ratings post, several of you seem to dig it. So, here.

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | The band is back together! (I’ll have more to say about the season opener later, after I get a Coke Zero in me.)

Exclusive: Criminal Minds Eyes a Heroes Favorite

9 pm Modern Family (ABC) | In the Emmy darling’s hour-long Season 3 opener, Phil gets outvoted on going to family camp, so instead the Pritchett-Dunphy brood (Dylan included!) must “settle” for vacationing at a dude ranch in picturesque Jackson Hole.

9 pm Harry’s Law (NBC) | For Season 2, the young’uns are out, Mark Valley (Human Target) and Karen Olivo are in, “Tommy Jefferson” has been elected a series regular, and Jean Smart (24), Alfred Molina (LOLA?) and Jason Alexander (Seinfeld) are among the guest stars on tap.

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Stabler’s Law & Order: SVU Status, and More

10 pm Law & Order: SVU (NBC) | Christopher Meloni is gone, Mariska Hargitay will, yes, still be in every episode, and Kelli Giddish (The Good Wife) and Danny Pino (Cold Case) are new additions. Do not miss the last two minutes.

10 pm CSI (CBS) | Norrrrmmmm! Sorry, I mean: Hey, Sammy! Ted Danson joins the crime drama as the new team leader — and no, that sentence does not sit well with Catherine. Bonus: Carrot Top returns!

10 pm Revenge (ABC) | The luminous Emily VanCamp (Everwood) fronts this potentially frothy new drama as Emily Thorne, a young woman who hits the Hamptons dead-set on getting back at those who wrongfully wronged her father and thus ruined her childhood. Madeleine Stowe (The Last of the Mohicans) plays the No. 1 thorn in Emily’s side. (See what I did there?) My detailed Fall TV First Impression can be found here.

What will you be tuning into this Wednesday night?

1. scooterbeanbag says:

Sorry Simon. I have no time for you and your black t-shirts.

2. Alicia says:

CriMiNaL MiNdS!!! Can’t wait for tonight! :D
    Hotch and Prentiss are ready–are you?! http://i53.tinypic.com/2iaeyi1.jpg

3. Jamie says:

I was expecting more from “Revenge” it really isn’t great.

• Lauren says:

I was the opposite – I thought it was going to be terrible and was pleasantly surprised. I believe 99% of that is because I love Nick Wechsler, but whatever.

4. mdaily says:

10 p.m. Season finale of “The Hour” on BBC America. What a great series! I do hope they bring this little gem back for a second season. If you don’t have BBC America, then try to find this on DVD when it comes out. You won’t regret the time you spend watching it. Noir done right!

• Rovonne says:

Glad you posted this, mdaily. It reminded me I need to set my DVR to save more than 5 episodes of “The Hour.” I still haven’t watched an hour (LOL) yet.

• Simon Jester says:

I’m hoping they rerun it, since my cable company didn’t start carrying BBC America until 3 episodes into “The Hour”!

5. Gerald says:

Revenge! I liked the pilot, it was entertaining and fun. Great escapism fun.

6. Amy says:

The Middle and Modern Family! I will probably DVR X-Factor just to see what it is like and I miss Simon. But I want to watch Survivor too. I don’t know.

7. Jamie says:

The Middle and CSI! :D

8. Vannesa says:

Crimnal Minds…can’t wait to see how the gang reacts to an agents return from death. And miss Emily VanCamp…Revenge…looks interesting. :D

9. Fernando says:

I’m so watching Revenge tonight. It looks really good. And I will also watch up all night I loved last weeks pilot ver funny

10. timelord says:

guess i’ll only be watching modern family. stopped watching criminal minds 2 seasons ago. wish mandy patinkin hadn’t left.

11. Chatty says:

As much as I love Modern Family, tonight I have to watch Criminal Minds. No way am I going to miss the team’s reaction to finding out the truth about Prentiss! Other than that, I am hoping that Ted Danson pulls a miracle out of thin air and restores CSI to its former glory. If any actor can do it, it’s him!

12. Tyler says:

Modern Family, Criminal Minds, CSI, and SVU

13. chris says:

The Middle
    Modern Family

14. Melanie says:

Will watch Criminal Minds live, cannot wait! And will watch Modern Family later on demand.

15. Mikaylah says:

I am VERY excited about Criminal Minds returning. I also can’t wait to check out Revenge, and I am sad about Christopher Meloni leaving SVU but I will still tune in.

16. Scott says:

All CBS ‘Live’ for me:

8: Survivor: South Pacific
    9: Ciminal Minds
    10: CSI

8: The Middle
    9: Modeern Family
    10: Revenge (try)
    12am: Paranormal Witness (which I’m shocked I liked)

17. Ashley says:

Criminal Minds and Up All Night (both live)

18. Andrea says:

Harry’s Law and Revenge

19. Ro says:

Matt –
    I love this what to watch list, but it’s really hard to find from the home page.
    I searched in vain yesterday and bumped into this by accident by doing a search on Free Agents to see what it was about.

20. sara says:

So many decisions to make!!! I’ll probablt be stuck on ABC all night with the Middle, Modern Family, and Revenge. Why is Dylan join the Dunphy family vacation? That’s weird, right? Just me?
    I’m totally excited about X Factor too but will have to watch that later.

21. Ram510 says:

I’ll be watching ABC comedies, Blue Mountain State and maybe Revenge live. I’ll try to DVR Top Model and I’ll watch Free Agent, take a peek at CSI for Ted Danson On Demand sometime later.

By the way dies anybody else watch Blue Mountain State?

22. blingedup.susan says:

X-FACTOR starts tonight!! I (and the rest of my brood) can’t WAIT!

Then one of our absolute favorites, The Middle, starts Season 3 tonight! I’m going to watch Modern Family too. I haven’t yet, and am starting to feel like I’m missing out on something.

What a great tv night! DVR has been set for a week. Pizza has been ordered. Wine is chilled. Kid’s homework is done. Yipee!

23. uhyeahright says:

Is it just me or has Harry’s Law all of a sudden just turned into Boston Legal? Now instead of a more unique lawyer show that was rough around the edges, its now a replica of Boston Legal with lots of staff running around looking like a normal attorney outfit (ala Boston Legal). They’ve even brought back Mark Valley, as you all will remember was ON Boston Legal for quite awhile there. I’m just waiting for the episode that Denny Crane shows up (actually that would be kinda cool even so).