Fall TV Preview

Emily VanCamp Reveals the Reasons Why Revenge Is So Sweet (and So Devious!)

People say revenge is a dish best served cold. But we at TVLine are of the mindset that Revenge is actually an addictive new primetime soap premiering this Wednesday (ABC, 10/9c) starring the immensely likeable Emily VanCamp (Brothers & Sisters) as a quick-witted young woman seeking vengeance — of the no-holds-barred variety! — for the unjust demise of her father.

We spoke with some of the series’ stars, who vow to exact revenge on those who don’t tune in — no, not really. But they did reveal reasons why Revenge is as sweet as the old adage says it is.

Fall TV First Impressions: ABC’s Revenge

Revenge Is Sweet… But Emily Isn’t | Emily VanCamp is the loveliest, but Revenge‘s Emily Thorne (née Amanda Clark) is ruthless in her pursuit of eye-for-an-eye justice. “I’m going to really disappoint my fans with this one,” TV’s perpetual nice girl says with a laugh. “At the end of the day, Revenge is a moral discussion. Emily is quite justified in what she’s doing — these people [she's after] stole everything from her.” VanCamp adds that while the series “is going to be intense” due to Ms. Thorne’s “relentless” nature, “People can definitely expect to be really satisfied.”

Amy Abbott, Who? | When asked how it’s been channeling her dark side, the beloved Everwood alumna holds back none of her excitement. “I’m having so much fun,” VanCamp gushes. “I actually haven’t had this much fun in a long time. It’s been such a great journey developing a character like this. [Showrunner] Mike Kelley has just created this whole world that is wonderful, and we’re all having a great time existing in it.”

Fall TV: ABC’s Revenge Builds Love Triangle With HIMYM Stray

Weekly Ritual | While Revenge is certainly not a procedural of Law & Order proportions, there is an aspect of the genre to the series. Says Kelley, “In the first handful of episodes, each week we’re taking down a character who wronged Emily’s father — your weekly revenge fix, if you will. Then we’ll slowly make them larger arcs because we don’t want to burn through them too quickly.” VanCamp says that each take-down is “juicy and fun and exciting, really crafty and clever,” adding: “You’ll always wonder how Emily’s going to pull it off, but she has this master plan and she’s sticking to it.” (Just ask Amber Valletta in the premiere. Ouch.)

Undercover Mother | Emily may be undermining people left and right, but those are just the residual affects of her desire to destroy Victoria Grayson aka the Queen of the Hamptons. But Madeleine Stowe tells us that the Emily’s angling won’t go off without a hitch. “She doesn’t like her,” Stowe says bluntly. “She knows that something is very wrong — though not that she’s ultimately coming after Victoria.” So, what’s the plan? “Victoria will do all these devious little things trying to connect the dots about her new neighbor.”

Exclusive: Castle Hit Man Max Martini Exacts Revenge at ABC

UnSolved Mystery | The very first scene of the Revenge pilot sets up a murder mystery before jumping back in time a few months — so how long until the case is solved? Provided the TV gods are good to viewers and Revenge is a success, “The death [actually] happens in Episode 13,” says Stowe. “So depending on what happens with the back 9 episode pickup, that’s when it will be solved.”

You’ll Wish It Was You | Gabriel Mann (who plays Emily/Amanda’s only “friend,” Nolan) tells us that Revenge is worth your time simply because these calculated things the Hamptons folk are doing aren’t that farfetched. “The women and men of our show get to carry out the dirty deeds that many people only think about, but would never or should never actually act on — in other words, let us do it, so you don’t have to.” Adds the actor with a laugh, “There should probably be an additional prologue stating, ‘Don’t try this at home, folks.’”

Comments (37)

• Why bother watching? This show won’t even last its first year. Sorry, kids, but it screams “early cancellation”.

Comment by badnews – September 21, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, that’s the spirit. Who is this, Marishka Hargitay?

Comment by danyelle – September 21, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That made me laugh out loud, Danyelle. Thanks

Comment by craig – September 21, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I watched the premier two weeks ago and it was very, very good if you like a darkly-spun suspense show. It’s more like Vampire Diaries in tone, but no superntural stuff. It might not be for everyone, but it’s nevertheless quite well done. I’m hooked.

Comment by Tarc – September 21, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look what tv show has already made it pass two seasons I would take that back if I were you

Comment by Coleman – May 24, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much for this article! I am so excited, I love a good guilty pleasure soap. And Emily (the actress lol) seems like a real sweetheart.

Comment by lauren – September 21, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the pilot, great show. I hope people give it a chance. It’s up against tough competition tonight though.

Comment by Esther – September 21, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmm… I wonder if we saw the same pilot, because when I saw it, it was one of the most terrible things I’ve ever come across. So bad, actually, that I want my 42 minutes back. Poor Emily VanCamp – she is so cute and not a bad actress, and this show? Just atrocious.

Comment by lisa – September 21, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Let me guess, it’s so much worse than American Idol – XFactor – Two & A Half Men – Mike & Molly…my God, the list could go one. From the pilot I think it looks awesome!

Comment by davey – September 22, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the pilot, except Emily Thorne’s best friend. I wanted to stuff her ugly red sleeve (from her ugly red dress) in her mouth and choke her.

Comment by Kim – September 21, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It definitely looks interesting. I’ll be tuning in tonight. :)

Comment by Mikaylah – September 21, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i saew thw pilot and it was really interesting..I really liked it and i hope people watch it because i would like to se how everything gooes…but it has big competition so i dont know

Comment by luis – September 21, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to watch this…I want to like this…but in the end it’s ABC and they kill everything I love. Yes, I am still bitter about Dirty Sexy Money (which had an eerily similar plot, thus giving me even more of an unsettling feeling about how long it will last.)

Comment by dq18 – September 21, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too about DSM. Great show so I’m torn about getting involved in any drama concerning ABC. Saw an eight minute clip and I’ll be DVR tonight for sure. If I’m not watching live it’s because I have an early call tomorrow.

Comment by Laura – September 21, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think DSM was one of ABC’s new shows that got screwed by the writers’ strike. I know that we’ll never know how it would have turned out if it had normal seasons, but it’s hard to deny that any momentum for that and Pushing Daisies was ground to a halt by the strike.

Comment by Brooke – September 21, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yea the writers’ strike screwed a lot of shows. DSM was such a guilty pleasure! :)

Comment by Sara – September 21, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m the same with DSM, adored that show, and I have to say I really like this one too, the pilot was great and had me hooked from the beginning. If ABC cancel this one on me I’ll have to stop watching the alphabet network, because they’ve cancelled quite a few of the shows I like, Brothers & Sisters, DSM, Commander in Chief, Ugly Betty, et al

Comment by Martina – September 22, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still bitter about What About Brian

Comment by Michelle – September 22, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has a pretty solid pilot, so I hope it doestn get canceled, i also really like Emily VanCamp

Comment by rod – September 21, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hopeful that Revenge will be a good show. Still miss getting my evening soap fix from the Dallas/Flamingo Road/Falcon Crest/Knot’s Landings of days gone by…

Tough competition tonight, so I am planning to catch up online tomorrow. Hopefully they still count those views in the complete numbers!

Comment by Hopeful – September 21, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not a procedural so I’ll give it a shot. But given ABC’s recent history with the Wednesday 10pm timeslot I’m not too optimistic about it lasting very long even if it’s a great show…

Comment by Z – September 21, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely will be checking it out, but will ABC keep it?

Comment by TimWnTX – September 21, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually almost checked this out, but I’m pretty filled up this year.

Comment by Danielle H. – September 21, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished watching the pilot. Surprising good! I’m very intrigued by the mystery so I think i’ll be tuning in again next week! I didn’t have any mystery/thriller-with-female-lead on my watch list before but I’m adding (at least) 2 for the next couple of months: this and Ringer.

Comment by Jess – September 21, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the pilot. I definitely get a “cancelled” vibe from it (but what do I know, I thought The Playboy Club would be successful) but I hope I’m wrong. It seems like it will be a really fun guilty pleasure and I adore Emily Vancamp.

Comment by Captain – September 21, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC has had no had success in this time slot in years — i think the only one that has made more than 10 million was the invasion. There is such massive promotion and I hope it pays off — it’s a great show from what I just saw. Anyone else agree?

Comment by jake – September 21, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man there was alot of staring out at whatever in this pilot,and this girl seems to act very obvious(runs up to Ambulance and talks to lady,very strange).So this girl is as rich as that other guy practically?She can’t be this unknown coming in.And why was she in jail?

Comment by shaun – September 21, 2011 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t planning on watching it last night, but once I started I couldn’t turn it off. Who doesn’t enjoy watching rich, pretentious snobs get theirs? Thought it started off well, hope it continues.

Comment by cheryl – September 22, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I turned this on last night and really enjoyed it! Hope it sticks around so far one of my fave new shows this season based on the pilot.

Comment by Lori – September 22, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, read the first comment. REALLY?

I watched it last night, and based on the previews I have been looking forward to checking this out. I really liked it. Cannot wait for more. I hope they had the back end order, and we get a full season!!

Comment by Robin – September 22, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched last night and was disappointed. It felt so slow and plodding and, more importantly, I really didn’t care about anyone and I LOVE Emily van Camp. I know she’s having fun playing a “bad girl,” but it is so against her essence, she seems robotic. Probably won’t tune in again.

Comment by jennab – September 22, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the last second I decided to dvr this just in case I got bored. I watched it last night and thought it was fantastic! I am totally hooked. The show had the vibe of a good movie and I really hated to see the hour come to an end. I love it!

Comment by Jackson – September 23, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did like the show, but for me it was difficult to follow – or keep up, I couldn’t retain, who’s who! BUT, then I watched it on-line, and WOW – I AM HOOKED, LINE AND SINKER!!! I really got lost into the story (in a good way). I am simply captivated. PEYTON PLACE – does anyone remember how captivating it was? I was quite young when that aired – but I remember how much my mother enjoyed that show. Oh, and by the way, it is GREAT To see Madeline Stowe again!!!! It has been too long, Madeline. And, Emily VanCamp, is the perfect actress for this part – she makes watching extremely compelling!!!!!!!

Comment by Nancy – September 26, 2011 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please help..for some reason I do not understand what the bad thing was that she is seeking revenge for,,what did I miss? Thanks!

Comment by Linda daniels – September 29, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When she was a girl, her father was arrested and convicted of funneling money to fund terrorists responsible for a plane crash with hundreds of fatalities. It turned out he was set up to take the fall, and Emily (real name Amanda Clarke) is exacting revenge on all the players involved in the conspiracy, since she lost her father thanks to their scheming.

Comment by Kathy – October 8, 2011 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really hooked on the show Revenge but does anyone know who is the mother of Emily Thorne (née Amanda Clark) I know her father went to prison when she was young but I don’t remember seeing a mother on the show it was just her and her dad . Please let me know.

thanks

Comment by Cherry – November 25, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! I started watching it for one reason only, Emily Van Camp! Her acting on brothers and sisters was terrific, so REAL! I miss Brothers and Sisters but Revenge is is like reading a good book that leaves you with wanting more! Maureen

Comment by maureen – April 14, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post