Glee Season Premiere Recap: 'Beat' Generation

The Season 3 premiere of Glee provided an exciting glimpse into the future for those of us intrigued by the idea of Ryan Murphy creating a spinoff with Rachel Berry and Kurt Hummel pursuing their musical-theater dreams in New York City. If you somehow got sidetracked in Brittany’s time machine Tuesday night, please allow me to catch you up — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format:

Things kicked off in meta fashion, with Jacob Ben Israel grilling New Directions’ seniors about what they had planned for the future. In the process, we found out that Mercedes split with Sam after his dad got a job out of state (and she got a new boyfriend, Marcus, who dreamed of making “beautiful cocoa babies” with her…yowza!), and that Tina and Artie are actually juniors. (Thanks for clearing that up, writing team!) Meanwhile, in Sue’s corner, Our Lady of Track Suits found herself lagging behind “undecided”,” “that rapist running from prison,” and “I don’t care; please don’t call me during dinner” in her race for Congress. Thus came her decision to galvanize voters by running on a platform of suspending all public-school arts programs and rejecting state and federal funding for them — until 100 percent of students could read at their own grade levels. “General Schuester is about to launch a counteroffensive,” said Will, who would go on to glitter-bomb Sue and become a “man of action,” even rejecting an obnoxious rich girl with “self-diagnosed Asperger’s” named Sugar, who auditioned for New Directions with a disastrous cover of “Big Spender.” (Side note: Will’s replacement in April’s Broadway musical won the Tony, naturally.)

Back to the student population, Kurt and Rachel began to plot their post-McKinley lives as theater students, but their confidence took a pitch-slap to the face when they attended a mixer at the Dayton Doubletree for prospective students of the New York Academy of the Dramatic Arts. There, Kurt and Rachel encountered an alarming number of doppelgangers with more extensive résumés, including Harmony (brilliantly brought to life by The Glee Project‘s Lindsay Pearce) who led a spectacular song-and-dance routine that left Kurt and Rachel crying in their car, but then making a pinkie swear to keep fighting for their dreams. Meanwhile, Quinn dropped out of New Directions and took up with a band of ruffians known as The Skanks, Zizes dumped Puck and quit the glee club as well, Finn questioned who he was and what he wanted to do with his life, Blaine transferred to McKinley and left his Warblers blazer in the closet, and Sue made Santana and Becky the co-captains of the Cheerios — as long as they agreed to destroy the blasted purple pianos that Will brought into the hallways to recruit new New Directions members. The kids’ lunchtime performance of “We Got the Beat” ended in a disastrous food fight, and when Schue discovered Santana’s duplicity, he booted her from the club. And that’s what you missed on Glee.

Now, before we get to the week’s musical numbers, let’s run through a couple of the episode’s memorable bits of dialogue and pop-culture references.

* Loved Kurt envisioning himself and Rachel in New York City as Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey in Beaches (pre-cardiomyopathy, of course).

* Loved Kurt and Rachel resigning themselves to a scaled-back life of community theater productions — Nunsense, Love Letters, and The Vagina Monologues. Kurt, noting the duo considered themselves hot stuff at McKinley, added, “Outside those walls we aren’t even stuff!”

* This exchange between Sue and Becky as the Cheerios coach/Congressional candidate sought something she could campaign against:

Becky: What about toast? Bread’s already been baked. I don’t get why you need to cook it again.
Sue: Oh Becky, your twisted genius excites me.

* Brittany, lamenting that Quinn’s defection to the Skanks ruined the Three Musketeers vibe they had along with Santana: “Now Santana and I are like an Almond Joy and you’re like a Jolly Rancher that fell in the ashtray.”

* Beiste squealing and closing her fist to signify how she crushed the dreams of 60 football-team hopefuls “like pigs in a blanket.”

* Kurt telling Rachel that “you realize we just did the gay high-five” after they pinkie-swore to keep fighting to get into NYADA.

* Sue noticing the “new smell of man marbles wafting off of you this year” after Will performed his first rejection of a glee-club auditioner.

And now, let’s talk about the music…

“We Got the Beat,” Rachel, Santana, Brittany, and New Directions
As Rachel asked, who doesn’t love the Go-Gos? (Can I confess that Beauty and the Beat is the first record I ever purchased?) It was nice seeing Santana and Brittany share lead vocals for a change, and Rachel’s cream-colored dress with half sleeves and black belt was a sight to behold. Bonus points for that Mike Chang booty slap and Brittana doing the swim, plus Becky administering a Slushie to Rachel as the song concluded. All in all, a great musical kickoff to Season 3. Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A-

“Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead!,” Kurt and Rachel
I enjoyed Kurt’s olive-green-and-purple plaid suit and Rachel’s saucy old-movie-dame intonations more than I did the number as a whole. Not that these cats can’t sing the bejeezus out of anything, but we’ve seen more thrilling duets from Kurchel. That said, here’s hoping these new besties start pairing up at least every other week so we have a cause for comparison — and maybe bring Mercedes into the fold as well. Musical grade: B Relevance to the plot: B+

“It’s Not Unusual,” Blaine
I usually adore me some Blaine, but I felt like this retro track and his post-Dalton wardrobe was wearing him, and not the other way around. Maybe we needed one less burst of dapper, what with the black shirt, red pants, striped bow tie, white woven belt, yellow shades, and black shoes (with no socks!). The Cheerios’ hairography was hot, but I couldn’t quite figure out what had Santana getting all up in Blaine’s grill. To paraphrase Billy Joel: She didn’t start the fire. Musical grade: B- Relevance to the plot: C+

“Anything Goes”/”Anything You Can Do,” Harmony and the NYADA geeks
Did someone in special effects fast-forward the dancing in this number, or do those kids’ feet really move that quickly? And I may be biased toward actress Lindsay Pearce — seeing how I came to root for her during her Glee Project run — but I thought she murdered the vocals in the best possible way. Plus, I love me a good mash-up. (Bonus: Acting since she was a fetus? Ha!)Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A-

“You Can’t Stop the Beat,” Rachel, Mercedes and New Directions
Rachel’s stripped-down, ballad-y opening verse was just gorgeous, and when the number transitioned to the auditorium for a full festival of song-and-dance (complete with Mercedes belting) it felt a lot like the shiny, happy Glee of yore. Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: A

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Which plot points made you happy, and which had you looking for a rewrite? What was your favorite musical number? Sound off below, and for all my Glee recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Mon says:

Typo! Wasn’t “We Got the Beat” by Rachel, Santana, and Brittany? Not Quinn?

2. lisasp says:

I loved the closing number the most and it did remind me of old Glee. The rest of the episode was just aiight for me. Becky’s toast quote was my fave. Question—am I correct that Rachel and Kurt’s version of “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” is from some other show or movie (other than The Wizard of Oz, of course!)? The whole opening to that song seemed very stagey/show-tuney, but I have no idea from what show. Anyone?

3. Sadie says:

We Got The Beat – should be by Rachel, SANTANA and Brittany, not Quinn.

Cute episode, even if nothing really spectacularly entertaining happened. They’re really laying the groundwork for an interesting season.

• djm says:

I disagree – it wasn’t that “cute” of an episode and from what I saw it isn’t going to be an interesting season. I could not be more over Sue – at this point she is just a total cartoon character and it’s just so played out. I would prefer that he campaign truly have NOTHING to do the Glee club because let’s face it – he and Will bantering is about as fresh as Britany lip syncing “live” in concert (in other words – it’s not). I loved the scene with Rachel & Curt – that to me was interesting and a good plot advancement. I could care less about Quinn and her identity crisis – I don’t think she’s a good enough actress to make me feel invested in her issues. Santana on the other hand is – I think she’s the most interesting character on the show in that she can truly do it all – be good, bad, funny and touching. I also loved how they used Lindsay Pearce – I thought she pulled that off brilliantly (even though that dress made her look SERIOUSLY over-weight – did she gain weight since her appearance on The Glee Project?). I will still tune in for sure, but I just would love to see these characters grow.

• pleasepuss says:

I agree on many counts. I have no investments into the Quinn issues at all, totally lost my interest when I had to replay her speaking parts to understand what she said. I’ve lost interest in
        Sue at the Start of S2. This epi was way better than S2.01 opener. Lays out storylines for the season. Some I think will be interesting. Loved Hummelberry. Finn is lost now has a great storyline to follow thru the s3 since many HSers have these issues in sr yr. What do I do when I graduate? This just suits Finn with his confidence issues.
        Santana is awesome again showing inner conflict and being kicked out was a good thing for storyline s3 I think. Music was show tunes and was very good and fun. Well done by all. Finally Wemma really cute.
        All in all I thought is was a really good start to s3. This episode was really more like s1 as they have stated I’m so glad.

• Jane says:

“Seriously over-weight”? Really?!?

If by seriously over-weight you mean normal sized, then I suppose you’d be right. JUst because a girl isn’t a stick and you can’t count the ribs on her, doesn’t mean she’s fat.

• Joey says:

She is nowhere near overweight, but that outfit did her no favors.

Hummelberry FTW.

• Cate says:

I agree, that dress was horrendous and DID make her look over weight, when all us Glee Project watcher know she definitely isn’t! Maybe Nikki from Glee Project who clearly couldn’t stand Lindsay got the costume people to give her a horrid dress!! LOL.

I thought she was great, and they used her perfectly. Lindsay is a very talented singer and the group was a fun addition – all those Rachel and Kurt clones! The Anything You Can Do/Anything Goes was an excellent number.

• Captain says:

It didn’t make her look overweight but it wasn’t a flattering cut. Lindsay is a normal-sized girl so putting her next to stick figures in an unflattering dress wasn’t a great idea. That said, I think she’s always been average size. She never looked stick-thin on TGP but that probably has a lot to do with how short she is.

• Stephanie says:

The whole “Sue Running For Congress” storyline is a political ploy to get more attention to Funding for the Arts, seriously in danger all across the nation at a Federal and State level. Places are not only cutting funding but cutting drastisticly, and there is a public outcry that isn’t being heard what with Congress not being able to agree on anything these days.
        Arts programs being beneficial to education is absoutely true–kids taking arts programs have higher grades, concentrate more and are basically happier, not to mention what Mr. Shue said about less substance abuse. Culture has been pushed aside because somehow it isn’t as important as sports (I remember my HS days, the drama club had to sell candy bars to pay for costumes, but they would cancel classes for a pep rally) and its one of the most important things we can hold onto.

4. Michael says:

For the first time in a long time, I thought that the concentration on the plot worked quite well. They set up the many season long struggles that the characters will have to tackle. Music was, as always, super. It wasn’t the greatest episode of Glee that I’ve ever seen, but it was an episode that cohered better than any in recent memory. Terrific start.

• pleasepuss says:

Agreed! Not all episodes have been or will be great s1, s2 or s3.
      I thought it was really good and fun/ funny and set up story arcs per character well. Some I think will be awesome and interesting. I believe a lot of viewership abandoned the show last season because of storylines and continuity issues. The s3 opener had a very low 8.9 million viewers to watch it. S2 started with around 12 to 13 million viewers and started to dip as the season went along til finale was 8 or 9 million. Even the critics were not on board last season as much as they were s1. s1 started with 3 million and ended with 7 or 8 million. TBH my reported numbers are from a forum chat room and not specific quoted press facts. Makes one wonder if the magic of s1 where it grew in viewers could change so drastically during s2.
      I’m hoping s3 will be an excellent season and will stay around for a long while.

5. blink says:

What the hell is a Kurchel? I think you meant Hummelberry.

6. Mike says:

I’m sure there will be tons of people who find SOMETHING to complain about, but this was definitely a solid episode and a promising start for Season 3.

• Rex says:

Ditto! I agree with you completely. I was pleasantly surprised. It appears Glee has regained its first-season mojo. I just hope they can keep it up throughout the season.

7. Lisa says:

I thought it was a solid season opener. I really hope they delve into Quinn’s apparent psychotic break. Something is obviously going on and I hope the writers flush that out, rather than introducing it then quickly sweeping it under the rug as they are apt to to do. It, in my opinion, has the most interesting potential.

Finn better not whine all season about not knowing what to do with his life. That will get old, real quick. Grow some confidence. Figure it out. I’m 27, and I still haven’t figured it out, but I don’t mope about it. I just go with the flow.

Rachel didn’t annoy me quite as much. Glad to see she realizes she is a little fish in a big, big sea. But that doesn’t mean she can’t rise to the top and make it in NYC. Same with Kurt. However, he annoyed me by whining to Blaine about the fact that Blaine was still at that other school. Then Blaine got transferred! Can we say unrealistic?! Also echoes Jesse St. James’ story line from the 1st season. Could Blaine be a traitor too??

I’m happy Mercedes is happy :-)

Brittany and Santana still got it.

All in all, good premiere.

• Marcus says:

Apparently Blaine’s parents don’t exist and he’s going to be dressing like Darren Criss from now on.

• Ali says:

Because Darren Criss wears highwaters, sweater vests, and shoes with no socks. Oh, wait. The sunglasses thing I’m hoping was a fluke, and we can’t judge a character’s wardrobe by a pair of sunglasses.

• Marcus says:

I’ve seen plenty of Darren Criss’s extremely gay magazine photoshoots and he sure seems to dress like a fugly hipster to me.

8. James says:

Pft! INU was fantastic and it worked really well to give it a B- as it was along with YCSTB the best song this episode is idiotic. WGTB didn’t work well at all and the performance was lacklustre to say the least. AG/AYCD had good vocals but sub-par dancing, especially from the lead. DDTWID was probably the best they could do with that song. Not a particularly good review, try better next time.

9. Valerie says:

I already miss the Blaine’s Warbler two-step, his Warblers blazer, and of course, the Warblers.

10. Susie says:

I loved the episode!!!
    The only thing that creeped me out was Kurt’s Doppleganger. That guy was just yuck to me.
    Oh and I totally LOVED Blaine’s It’s Not Unusual. It was nice to see him sing alone finally.

• Chris says:

I never post here, but I’m sorry, are you serious?

• IC says:

She meant without the warblers on the background.

• Viv says:

i loved blaine’s song the best — he was deliciously hot, glowing and so freakin’ talented! i finally get what the tweens have been swooning over about him — man! love,love,love his addition to the club: he’s the cutey, cool guy host at every party. since the v-day episode (that one lil moment…) he and santana have palpable chemistry as divas.

miss me some trouty mouth though — still boo on that!

11. Brad says:

It doesn’t seem like they learned anything from last season. Sue is still a lunatic. And I’m tired of everyone hating the Glee club. Wasn’t Marcus in the crowd during We Got the Beat? He surely would have cheered for his girl Mercedes. Yes, kids are mean but it’s just lazy writing.

The need to get rid of Sue and that creepster Jacob Israel.

12. Marcus says:

They ruined the episode for me with Kurt begging Blaine to transfer schools. I prefer my favorite characters when they aren’t dependent on their boyfriends for happiness (coughRachelcough). A lot of the one-liners were hilarious but that bit left a bad taste in my mouth for the entire hour.

13. Mark says:

I’m confused. Did Santana mean to set fire to the piano? She looked upset that it went up in flames and Quinn was the reason it went on fire. What are we supposed to take from this?

• Jim says:

I had to go back and rewind to catch this. When the Cheerios are circling the piano they’re pouring lighter fluid on the piano (the bottles are small, yellow and hard to see). Quinn’s cigarette then sets the lighter fluid on fire. And you’re right, her look at the end has too much “oh dear” in it and not enough “so there.”

• Vicky says:

Besides the lighter fluid, notice Santana’s smug reaction when the piano goes up in flames, and Blaine’s confused facial expressions when she started dancing with him (it didn’t seem to be planned, she did it to distract him and the audience and allow the Cheerios to pour the fluid)

• Miranda says:

Yeah, I don’t get how Santana knew Quinn would flick her cig on the piano. Unless they planned it…but it’s not obvious at all. There should have been a shot of them secretly planning something.

• Joann says:

Sue made Santana do something about the purple pianos and she conspired with her fellow Cheerios — that’s the reason Mr. Shu booted her from New Directions. But the most telling scene — at the end when everyone was singing You Can’t Stop the Beat — was Quinn in the shadows looking extremely sad.

14. rissa says:

Great start to Season 3. Loved pretty much everything especially Klaine & hummelberry. So tired of Sue. All of the musical numbers were wonderful.

15. lau says:

i really liked this episode
    first thing i loved, hummelberry scenes, they work great together
    lindsay singing and acting during the song was wonderful, hope they keep her for more than two episodes.
    lot of santana in this episode, something i really enjoy. i think there is a lot more under santana story, the way sue says she likes to play both sides, she knows santana’s “secret”, so she is using her. she chooses team sue, not losers or winners, that i thought was interesting. i’m very excited about her storyline,because i am very sure that there is going to be a lot of santana development during this season (plus santana’s faces at some points were perfect)
    i don’t like will, and i think i will never like him, don’t know why
    quinn storyline, loved it, best part, her talk with rachel,
    i really really liked all the songs, great episode and great way to start a season (great acting and great singing in general)
    my highlights: rachel, santana and sugar, that girl is going to bring good stuff

16. Jenny says:

I felt like at least there was a road map to the season laid out. There is potential for many different stories. Like the idea of being big fish in a small pond and should be the main focus. Life after high school should be something that makes you nervous. Like that Kurt and Rachel aren’t top dogs in show choir world. Also don’t mind Finn not being sure. He even said to Rachel at the end of season 2 that he wishes he could be more goal orientated like her. Could be a real interesting character path for him. He is the one character that I want him to see there is a world outside of Lima.

• starkid says:

I didn’t like how Finn was mean to Blaine when he said he wanted it understood that New Directions wasn’t the Warblers…I got confused – I thought Finn and Blaine got along (remember them talking about clothes in the Prom episode)?

• Lisa says:

Finn was worried that Blaine was coming in and taking his spot as male Glee lead. With Finn’s anxiety about his future, being a leader in Glee is one of the only things he probably felt certain about.

• James says:

He isn’t certain about it, wasn’t even before INU that got people dancing and clapping. He got called on it by Jesse and with right too plus the whole Nationals mess. He is definitely unsure about his future but that is not a reason to take it out on Blaine. Let’s even skip over the silly attempt at needling, when he has hogged duets with Rachel despite his average at best voice thanks to Will’s stupid couples preference.

• Jenny says:

I actually like this idea of a Finn/Blaine rivalry. Finn was the first of the “in crowd” to join Glee but has always struggled about making that choice to be in Glee because it is something he wanted to do. He is basically the leader of the group. Blaine is actually real competition for that spot.

• joanna says:

Four of the guys were upset about Blaine coming–Puck, Mike, Artie, and Finn were all scowling, but Finn was the one who spoke. It seemed to be setting up a feeling from the guys that Blaine would come in and take away some of their chances to shine, or maybe upset the balance they’d been working toward of having the whole group featured rather than just a star and backup singers (the issue they worked through in 2×21 Funeral). But I think it was really setting up the fact that KURT is going to have difficulties competing with Blaine for solos/moments to shine. The writers have been saying that the 2 will stay strong in their relationship but that they will struggle with what it means to be competitors; I think that is what was being set up, but they threw in a red herring by making it look like the other guys would be the ones having a problem with Blaine. (And Finn may have trouble adjusting to seeing Rachel sing with another guy as lead, but I don’t know if that will become a major part of the tale.)

17. francine says:

Go, Harmony!

You rocked it girl-

ATTENTION, WRITERS- We need a whole lot more of Harmony! And her chums, too!

• roe says:

uhm… no. i’m sorry sweetie, but i’ve avoided who wants to be a gleek like the plague for this reason — i knew instantly that she was a reality show star. h-a-t-e-d it!!! i’m sure she’s a lovely person but stage actors are not tv actors or film actors. she doesn’t have the look yet. girly-girl, get thee to a camera class, post-haste!

and she’s not even the winner, is she? there’s another one to go??
      great…

• William says:

There are three others, one is getting 2 episodes, and the others are getting 7. And none of those three are as good as Lindsay.

• Joann says:

Have to disagree with you on this one William — Lindsay Pearce is a glee wannabe. During TGP, she exuded everything I hate about Survivor — she manipulated her way thru the rest of the contestants. I am looking forward to Damien’s arc! I thought the number was rushed, the dancing frenetic and the mash-up a little self-centered.

• Cheeky says:

as good as Lindsay, no, they are BETTER! I will be glad when her 15 minutes are over.

18. Lol says:

Disappointing episode. I was really hoping that they would get back to the show I loved, but no such luck. What a mess! too many story lines, new characters, mediocre numbers. I was most looking forward to them dialing down Sue’s rage. I love Jane Lynch, but I’d rather see her in her guest roles than continue on as Sue. If they were hoping for some shock value, wouldn’t a reformed Sue be more shocking than anything else they strutted out–Punk Quinn! Scary new student! Emma in bed with Will! Troupe of Rachel and Kurt-bots!

Also, I think Mercedes was a better character before she had a boyfriend to drape herself around instead of performing.

I love Blaine, but I think Dalton was a better fit and it was more interesting to see what they came up with to bring him into the story than to have him at McKinley. Plus, I cringed during his first scene in the choir room. What a horrible welcome. And I don’t buy Finn as being that hostile–after all, he was fine with Blaine getting a prom number.

Speaking of Finn, where was he? My favorite bit of the evening was Kurt and Rachel in Emma’s office when she tells them it was the only combo they hadn’t seen in the glee club and hands over the Hag brochure. But honestly, I expected more since they opened with him not having any idea about his future.

Rachel and Kurt are such a great pairing, but remember Mercedes at their sleep over? they make a wonderful counterpoint to the other trio of Cheerios.

It can only get better–I hope.

• AnaB says:

I agree with every single sentence! =)

• Yasin says:

Did you notice, that all the new characters did was enhance the storylines of the main characters? Sugar Motta made Will realize that not everyone is fit for his glee club, and he can’t fix everyone. And Harmony was brought in to humble out Rachel/Kurt and all it did was give us a fantastic Hummellberry scene.

I loved the premiere, especially the last number. I usually hate Rachel-lead ballads, but the last number was just amazing.

• Hmm says:

” but I think Dalton was a better fit and it was more interesting to see what they came up with to bring him into the story than to have him at McKinley.”

Think tons of Lima Bean and Breadstix scenes with the occasional scene at Kurt’s house. All shoe-horned. With him at McKinley he’s in the mix and they can easily integrate him into other characters stories in the future. That’s how I see it, at least.

19. zoot says:

Isn’t Finn the captain of the football team? Aren’t Santana and Brittany Cheerios? Isn’t Puck popular?

I don’t understand how other football players and Cheerios can actually slushie and make fun of the Glee club…enough already!

• Volcfom says:

The boys who slushied Finn in the beginning were the hockey team – they all have mullets.
      But yes, it’s just another inconsistency on the show otherwise.

• Captain says:

It was an odd week. Finn/Puck/Brittany/Santana/Quinn are outcasts on the odd weeks and heros on the even ones.

• MelindaB says:

Enough with the slushie-throwing! Just like Sue’s rampages, no school would allow it to continue. The slushie machine would be outta there long ago.

20. donna says:

btw it’s beiste, not besite. another typo :)

21. O says:

I didn’t like the season opening. BUT I’m still hopeful for the rest of the season! Fingers crossed!

22. John says:

Plenty of things I liked and disliked, but was anyone else shocked by the Santana comment about Becky having few chromosomes? Glee pushes the envelope constantly, but something about making that a joke/insult felt wrong.

• jennielyn says:

I gasped!

• Alex says:

Wasn’t a joke/insult. Santana said ‘..when I look at someone, I don’t see a person who looks a certain way, or has this or that amount of chromosomes…’.
      Santana was stating, in much the same way as one might say ‘race doesn’t matter to me’ or ‘I don’t discriminate on the basis of gender’, that the number of chromosomes in Becky’s possession was in no way part of the reason why she hated the idea of sharing the Captaincy of the Cheerios.

23. Amy says:

I thought it was a great episode – definitely more Season 1 than Season 2. It was kind of nice to downplay the romance for the most part. What has happened to Will and Emma – yuck! I wanted them together the first part of Season 1, but now they are just creepy. Loved the music! Nice to not have Top 40 for a change. Lindsay was great. I can’t wait to see the other Glee Project kids incorporated.

24. Janna says:

The cream dress is from H&M… Awesome or sad that I can recognize these things?

25. B says:

Lindsay’s premiere as Harmony was great! It just makes me excited to see the rest of the fellow glee project alumni come on the show, especially Damian as Rory!
    I thought it was an awesome season premiere. A lot more glee than it has been in the past episodes, and as far as Blaine goes, New Directions need to fill their spots, and he’ll definitely help them, I think.
    I don’t know what’s up with Quinn?? But it looks like they’re going to dive into her storyline soon to come.
    There wasn’t much that I didn’t like about this episode and to add to funny lines or quotes I gotta add

-“I’d let her ears park in my handicap spot” Artie speaking of Sugar when she was singing

-“And later we’ll make some cocoa babies.” Mercedes new boyfriend speaking to her at the beginning of the episode.

Again, I loved Lindsay! Let’s see more of her… and let’s randomly bring on Cameron Mitchell yes?? that would be legit!

26. Puckleberry says:

I know this is quite silly, but yesterday night I couldn’t fall asleep because I was wetting myself with excitement! LOL! Actually, I was so giddy, excited, elated…that it took me another dose of the Purple Piano Project on my iPod to finally be able to close my eyes and catch a few z’s. I looooved this episode. And, I must say, I think Kurt and Rachel are the best couple on Glee! Whatever flaws there might be, I was completely oblivious as I enjoyed every single second of it. Well, not so much the Glee Project girl, I did not dislike her, just didn’t find her appealing at all. All I saw was a huge red mouth. Everything else, I liked very, very much. PROUD TO BE A GLEEK!

27. Jessica says:

This episode was far from perfect. Waaay to much Hummelberry and honestly I didn’t see anything different from last season. The only potential storylines that I am even half interested in are the Quinn/Puck/Shelby/Beth thing and Finn’s indecisiveness over what he wants to do with his life. Finn’s storyline is realistic and I feel like it would hit home for a lot of people. Everything else was just sort of…meh. Even the songs weren’t that great. “Anything Goes/Anything You Can Do” was the best and ,as a huge fan of Hairspray, I have to say that “You Can’t Stop the Beat” was painful. Seriously, you can’t sing the lyrics “You can’t stop my dancing feet ’cause I just cannot stand still” and “My heart’s keeping time to the speed of sound” as a ballad it just doesn’t make sense. Overall, the episode just left me cold.

28. Jess says:

The oneliners (brittana & quinn convo) and the showtunes saved the episode for me. Love love love LOVED “Anything Goes.” I wish it wasn’t a mashup because i love that song so much, but the mashup (if it had to be done) was at least done well.

29. Beth says:

Am I the only one who missed Sam (Chord Overstreet)? I know this news broke over the summer, so it’s not a surprise. But he had a lot of wonderful moments last season–the tenderness of his duet “Lucky” with Quinn, still bruised and wary; throwing that first punch at Karofsky when Finn held back; the whole Bieber episode–that it feels more than a little arbitrary and cold of the series (talkin’ to you, Mr. Murphy) that he got cast aside with a single line. I will always love Kurt and Rachel and Artie and Brittany and Mike and Tina (and well, everybody, adults included), but with all the crazy, contorted plot turns it’s getting harder to love the series as a whole.

• Nicole says:

I do miss Sam.
      I felt like his character could have easily had a fantastic story line and him and Quinn where really kind of perfect together. But honestly, he didn’t really have any flaws. Just a good honest guy. However awesome that may be, television is about the drama.

I hope we get to see Jesse St. James make another appearance. IMO I would have taken Jesse as a season regular over Blaine any day. Did anyone else catch the dry rival looks of Blaine and Finn. There is no way he is a more believable foil then St. James.

Meanwhile, Mr. Shue continues to talk about Emma “red-lighting” him at every chance. It just feels inappropriate and honestly boring to have a story line based on grown adults sexual problems. It makes Will look like even more of a perv then he already is.

• MelindaB says:

Ugh, no more Jesse. I can’t stand his self-centeredness and his two-faced attitude.

I agree with you about the comments from Will about Emma. It’s completely ridiculous to think that he would even talk about it with Sue and Figgins.

30. Kiki says:

wasn’t a fan of Lindsey in the Glee Project & not much changed after i saw her tonite …. hate that she’s still in more episodes …. but on the plus side i can’t wait for Sam or Damien :)

31. Ashley says:

My FAVORITE

32. Ashley says:

My FAVORITE Brittany line was when she said that she had pepperonis in her bra and Santana had to tell her those were her nipples!

33. Max says:

I loved the whole episode, but I think the interactions between Kurt and Blaine and Kurt and Rachel were the highlight for me. Both relationships (one romantic, one platonic) are just so genuine and endearing. I can’t wait to see where the three of them go this season. . I don’t think Kurt was being needy – he just wants to spend time with his boyfriend. They weren’t hanging all over each other like some of the other couples, but it’s sweet that he can’t fathom a school day without his Blaine. I love that their relationship is so comfortable and natural, and it’s just amazing how happy they obviously make each other. :D And “It’s Not Unusual” was brilliant – Darren killed it, and I think it was my favorite number of the episode, though “You Can’t Stop The Beat” had me dancing in the living room and annoying my boyfriend.
    I’ve never seen Darren wear a bowtie in his personal life, for those people who complained about Blaine dressing like Darren now. Just food for thought. So glad to see Darren as a series regular – he’s such a great addition to an already amazing cast. Nationals, here they come!
    Also, could Finn have been a bigger hypocrite when he was being so rude to Blaine in the choir room? If he wants to talk about being a “ball-hogger” maybe he should realize that he has the male lead in 90% of all ND songs. And as far as his comment about “we’re not all about the bells and whistles” – um, false. Glitter slushies, dancing, props.. all the Warblers needed was their amazing a capella, not even a piano. Honestly, I think ND could use a new leading man or two.

34. Elle says:

Such a great episode! Loved so many things.. You Can’t Stop the Beat, It’s Not Unusual, and Ding Dong etc were my favorite songs. Loved Quinn’s hair but want to know why she had such a change of heart/character. Kurt and Blaine’s interactions should have melted even the hardest of anti-Klaine hearts – they are just amazing together.

I just wish people could stop complaining about things for 5 minutes and just enjoy the show. I love it, flaws and all.

• Nicole says:

Every sentence of this comment is gold.

The show has been under such scrutiny lately. If everyone sat back and just watched it unfold then it would be a lot more enjoyable.

• Elle says:

I think the majority of people feel the same way – it’s just a handful of trolls on the internet who feel the need to run down every aspect of the show. I mean, honestly, don’t they have anything better to do? Fandom wank is such a downer. I choose to love (almost) everything, but when I dislike something I don’t dash to the computer to complain!

• Nicole says:

I agree.
          Fandom will be the downfall of this show. It’s such a pity that the writers are even influenced by the constant bashing and make unnecessary changes. I mean there are things I don’t like but that doesn’t mean that I lament that I hate the show and will never watch it again.
          It’s better to just ride out the season and enjoy it while the old cast is till in it!

• Elle says:

Yeah, I know. The fandom is trying to call the shots (like enlisting people to cheat on silly online polls that are on this website). I just don’t see why people can’t just.. sit back, enjoy (or not), and go about their lives. It’s a tv show, and I love it, but I”m not going to spend my entire day trolling or kvetching about it.

• Hmm says:

Agreed! I really enjoyed it, I think Glee is off to a great start this season. They skipped Will and Emma getting together, which was for the best because now we can just focus on them being together and whatever difficulties they may have. Rachel and Kurt are focused on their future and working hard, can’t wait to see where that leads. And of course there will be less shoe-horning with Blaine since he’s at McKinley – and should stay there. Things are looking up!

• Elle says:

I agree – I loved the first episode. And glossing over Will and Emma getting together. All the endgame couples seem to be happy now, for the most part, so now the focus can go away from just the romance of it to other issues the club will face. And I just loved seeing Blaine in the choir room and performing with the ND members – such a natural fit. And Kurt and Rachel.. genius.

• Marcus says:

RE: Klaine – “Cute” isn’t enough for me, sorry. I need some consistent characterization. Making Kurt back into a needy little woobie who can’t be happy without his boyfriend at his school after all of his character development with regard to maturity last year was just stupid, and I’ll never forgive the writers for how badly the two of them got together to begin with. What a one-sided mess.

• Greg says:

Then stop watching. It’s that easy. I love Kurt, his relationship with Blaine, and the fact that not everything has to be angsty to be good on Glee. It’s refreshing to see Kurt smile, and the two of them make each other so happy. Kurt’s behavior never struck me as needy.

35. K says:

I loved “It’s Not Unusal.” That and “Anything Goes/Anything You Can Do” were the highlights of the episode for me. Loved Sugar. The only thing I didn’t care for was Sue’s repetitive campaign against the Glee club. Can’t they give that character anything else to do?

36. Sally says:

I’m looking forward to Finn’s storyline. I don’t see it as ‘whining’ but rather a young man not knowing what to do with his life, and you know, expressing it on the TV programme he is on??? If done well, it could be interesting.

I thought he said something to Blaine because he thought that he’d started the piano fire?

37. bytheseatofmypants says:

Just saying the numbers of viewers for season opener was way down. 8.9- 9.1 million viewers. A big different from s2 of 13 plus million viewers. This really makes me question the longevity of the show when this season hasn’t packed as much of a punch as last year.
    I liked this episode so much better than s2 opener but makes one wonder what was the reason for the big drop in viewership. I for one love this show and will follow it as far as it goes.

• mjir says:

Actually the end of the season glee was ave more like 8 or 9 million.

When this first came out I thought if ti works they should only go 4 years top. Thinking they could work it to follow the cast to graduation.

• Leo says:

8 o 9 million isn’t too shabby, though, when you look at it on its own.

• Darcy says:

The viewership of 9.21 didn’t drop from the end of most of last season and was in fact higher than several episodes at the end of Season 2. The only thing that matters is the key demo which was excellent and much higher than the vast majority of shows.

38. Go Harmony says:

I LOVED Harmony (Lindsay Pearce). She should have won TGP and deserves way more than 2 episodes. RIB are fools if they let that talent go.

• Captain says:

She KILLED that song! I really do hope they keep her around for a few more episodes but there isn’t really much they can do with her beyond this season since it was implied she’s a senior. Hopefully she can be the Jesse St. James-esque competition for The New Directions.

39. Yo says:

Pertinent pun of the week: Pitch slap. Damn, that was good.

40. loved it says:

I really enjoyed this episode, and for me this season is looking really good so far. They laid out some storylines that will carry through for a while, the music was great, and everything just fell together nicely. I also laughed more than I usually do while watching Glee, so that was a plus. The T-Rex line killed me. Most looking forward to Hummelberry, more Sugar, Santana, and Klaine.

Blaine should stay in New Directions, if the Warblers have to come back they could come back as his competition at Sectionals, that would be interesting! Then he can go on to Nationals with ND. I liked Linsday in this episode, hope to see her at Sectionals too.

41. ladyhelix says:

It was such a delightful surprise to see Courtney Galliano (SYTYCD S4) as a SKANK!!! I had to pause my DVR and quickly YouTube The Garden (with Mark), Crazy Girlfriend (with Twitch), and I fell in love with the DJ (with Will). Did I mention that I’m very excited?

I was also thrilled with how You Can’t Stop the Beat began – I just loved the arrangement of the intro. But WOW after that the stage blocking was pathetic (can’t even call that attempted choreography). There was a brief moment when I had a glimmer of hope (Heather Morris and Harry Shum were captured in frame and looked at each other with a “let’s do this” look) – but then they cut away from to display a lot of pathetic zero-energy standing around. Is that really what they wanted to leave us with until next week? The memory of that?

And the saddest part is that YOU Can’t Stop the Beat is a wonderful song ABOUT the music moving you. And not only weren’t they moving – they weren’t believable.

42. ana says:

Michael, your recap is so much better than the actual show. I think I’m going to start reading it first, and then fast forward the show to watch only the musical numbers.

43. kraz says:

I agree with some people on here. Shut the f up people. The fandom will absolutely be the downfall of the show. I really really dont understand why people take it too over the top seriously. It is a show that is supposed to be fun. So have fun with it. If you cant then stop watching the show. Good lord. This is the problem with most gleeks; they cant be satisfyed no matter how hard you try. I feel so bad for the people at glee, because they have some of the worst fans in the world. BANDWAGON is what I like to call it. This episode was really really good. It laid out pretty much every arc that will be on the show. Hummelberry’s New York ambition, Finn’s uncertainty which a lot of people should be able to relate to. Calling it whining is just dumb. Blaine being able to fit in, which i am not sure that he does, but we will see. Please stop watching the show if you feel that you cant sit and enjoy it. And Jesse St. James, really? Move on people. The fandom of glee is really staring to get on my nerves. Just watch the freaking show dude.

• Marcus says:

I’m sorry I consume media critically and therefore have thoughts and opinions, rather than being a passive lump that will happily take whatever is force-fed to me by television executives without so much as a “hey, wait a second…” If you don’t like people’s comments on the show, how about you don’t read them?

• Greg says:

Wow, unnecessarily rude. Most people “consume media” with some thought. I analyze everything, so it doesn’t make you superior. Jeez.

• lau says:

agreed 100% with what you said

44. adria says:

I agree with the interpretation above, but the tone and context of the two feuding definitely made it come across as an insult. My mouth dropped.

45. Amber says:

Definitely not 1st season good, but definitely an improvement over season 2. I had just about given up on Glee, but I’ll stick around for a bit and see what happens. I really enjoyed that Go-Go’s number a lot, I had to rewind it a few times. It made me want to jump up and dance with them. I also kind of did like the Tom Jones number too, and the Hairspray song wasn’t bad. And Lindsay Pearce et al were pretty good. Also some funny lines and some great deliveries in this episode. I burst into laughter every time I saw that look of horror on Puck’s face at the pile of spaghetti with the words, “Oh, God, no!”

46. Cynthia says:

I LOVED this episode. LOVED that Emma finally knows what it means to be “turned on!”LOVED the Kurt and Rachel moment — it’s true though, even though you think you’re the best, something better comes along — that doesn’t mean you’re not going to get your chance. I know so many of the “superstars” in my high school now have no life, working menial jobs at banks or supermarkets, living 45 minutes away from NYC and living a mediocre live, as well as being bound to Community Theater (Nunsense, Love Letters and Vagina Monologues — how true is that!) I mean Amber Riley and Colbie Collait were both rejected for American Idol!

All in all, I loved the music (even Blaine’s song — I’m also very biased as I LOVE me some Tom Jones! I wish I had some panties to throw at the screen), loved the set-ups to the season’s stories, it was completely refreshing to see Quinn be a bad girl, LOVED Brit’s moves on the cafeteria table and hoping Satan, I mean Santana comes back to New Directions as I love her, I love her voice and when it comes to Naya Rivera, I’m SO Lebanese!!!!!

Loved the episode though, loved the songs, the highs, the lows, the good, the bad and everything in-between!!! Yay Glee! Glee kids hooray!!!

47. Ferhovez says:

I enjoyed the episode but it wasn’t the best glee can do. Am i the only one who didn’t like Sugar? I actually hated her, wasn’t funny at all. Could anybody explain the junior/ senior thing? I’m not familired with that (writing from Argentina) how is it posible that they have been together for allmost 3 years and sudenlly some are juniors and other seniors?

48. ty says:

Both Blaine and Finn annoy me for different reasons, but Blaine beats Finn in every aspect of being a leading man: singing, dancing, and playing a character. Maybe Finn is more genuine in emotion at times, but it is offset by the fact that his voice sucks and his “dancing” is just him lumbering around the stage.

• pleasepuss says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the opener s3. So much better than s2 opener. I love Cory and Darren’s singing the same. They are just different in styles. Darren’s more showman and Cory is more emotion and subtle. My favs are Finchel duets thusly Finchel is my fav since the pilot I admit it. Blaine has become such a phenomenon since fandom is Klaine oriented. Kurt is so lovable and relatable that Blaine just fits like a jello mold.
      Finn’s character was altered by the writing s2 in a negative way. Made him look bad. Now it seems his head has come out to see light again and his character has an exciting adult issue that many kids can relate to these days. What do I do now? Lots of fandom left the hypocritical Finn which was a shame for Finn and Rachel were the leads in s1. I can understand Finn’s telling Blaine that the NDs are not the Warblers(Pips as Kurt said to him once). That was the thing about the Warblers that kinda turned me off of them was Blaine too focused got boring. Finn’s future in life and the glee club rest in the hands of Blaine and his talent( as in Rachel and Sunshine s2). Finn’s only happy existence was as male lead in the Glee club until they won the football championship s2. That’s when his only self image was elevated(popularity consumed again thinking this would make him happy). He stayed in the background with no solos or duets with this mentality. But it didn’t make him happy til the finale where he realized all his wants in 1 episode. s1 he knew he was a loser and wanted out of Lima at the end of s2 with Quinn for a few months he had no aspirations for a future. Now with Rachel whose aspirations are so high he is LOST. Which is why I feel such a relatable subject as Finn’s what next attitude is a wonderful storyline to explore. Finn can be rectified from the muck of s2.
      Puck is one of my favs who has been forgotten all s2 and now his character will be given a great storyline as well. For me Quinn was a character so flawed and disgraced s2 lost into a visual mental breakdown that went nowhere. She needs to be fixed like a flat tire or the show cannot be realistic to go on. TBH She is my least fav character whom I have little interest in but she needs to be rectified also. Finn/Quinn were mutilated s2. Glad to see their characters get some attention. First sign of mental problems to teens is the company they keep dress eating patterns. Quinn is a stark symbol of that. My hope is Shelby and Rachel can reach her soon. But the main Shelby arc is with her daughter Rachel who really needs her mom.
      Hummelberry stole the show to me. Some feel way too much Hummelberry but I say go for it they are the ones with high aspirations for the future. All the others need to see Hummelberry’s enthusiasm and gets some for themselves too. A great storyline. Finn to follow suit. I’m ready for a great s3 for Glee. I hope you give it a chance. For I am a sceptical person and had judged the writing s2 in depth. I don’t want to ruin what might be the final seasons of a very magical show that has given me and my friends great joy. Enjoy s3.

49. adria says:

This was a reply to the chromosome comment.

50. stw says:

I liked the episode when first watching it, but several days later I find myself remembering very little other than loving the opening with the interviews and the ending sequence of “You Can’t Stop the Beat”. The episode was a lot of flash and little substance, sadly–not the way for Glee to get back on track.

One of the most disappointing things to me as a huge appreciator of Hummelberry was how almost all of their interactions, aside from the initial JBI interview & the scene w/Emma, felt like they were being too obviously forced in our face instead of happening organically. You don’t need to sell me on Kurt and Rachel; I loved them before loving them was cool (and I loved them precisely because loving them wasn’t cool).

Furthermore, the episode felt very unbalanced w/o the complementary focus on Finn’s story. Glee doesn’t work when it is just about the kids who feel they are stars going up against the world; it needs the co-equal focus on the kids who fear they are only ordinary learning that there are extraordinary aspects to themselves. The initial scene with Finn felt like it was setting this story up strongly, but then his story disappeared for the rest of the episode. It feels like the rumors about Ryan Murphy wanting to cut Cory Monteith out of the show may really be true. I’ve thought this was nonsense previously, but am believing it now after seeing how radical a shift there was away from Finn’s story which has always been a focus in the season premiere episode. I don’t think this is the way for Glee to get back to basics, and after watching the first episode I’m both wondering if Glee will stop feeling like “must see TV” for me in the near future; there wasn’t anything compelling me to tune in next week that I saw in 3×01. I’m also pretty sure, after this first episode, that a spinoff featuring just Rachel and Kurt, or Rachel, Kurt, and Blaine and/or Santana, would die a quick death in its first season. The yin/yang is all off without the strong balance of both Rachel’s individual story and Finn’s individual story.

The musical numbers were mostly polished, but only two–“Anything Goes/You Can Do I Can Do Better” and “You Can’t Stop the Beat”–were relevant to the plot and helped to tell the story. The others were glitzy glamour, but didn’t say anything or send any message. (I’m curious to know how the reviewer here thought “We’ve Got the Beat” was relevant–it was a fun song and dance, but it didn’t tell us anything about the plot.)

And the “Ding Dong” song was a massive waste of a Hummelberry duet–it made the point that Rachel & Kurt need to readjust their perspective on how to make it to NYC, but there’s no way these two, who sang on the Wicked stage and have done such powerful, moving duets, would think that this number, hopping around with brooms and witch hats, would impress anyone. 15 seconds in I was bored, and then I started to cringe. I never thought that could happen to me watching and hearing Lea Michele sing, and it wasn’t because there was anything lacking in her voice–it was because the number was a poor choice.

Here, and in the entire “go to see the competition” scene, Rachel and Kurt came across like cartoons of their characters, not the in-depth, nuanced, compelling figures who’ve been created over two seasons. That felt true for me in their car scene as well, although there it was over-written drama queen reactions and recycled supportive dialogue that we’ve heard them say before instead of over-written comedy. And having the show choir kids look just like them contributed to the cartoonishness; it would have been much more powerful if those kids had appeared to be real people out there who are threats, like our first glimpse of Vocal Adrenaline in the Pilot, instead of Rachel and Kurt caricatures simply introduced to shake Rachel and Kurt out of their complacency.

Sue’s story was also a miss for me, because she, too, was still in extreme cartoon mode rather than going back to being the snarky, mean enforcer of the status quo/social order whose insistence that the world is divided into winners and losers and never the two shall meet set up the frame that the Glee club strove to overcome at the beginning of the show. Her story has the potential for a lot of humor, but it should be controlled, toned down humor, not the fit-throwing person who attacks a piano with pliers. With Jane Lynch acting, the writing and delivery of lines should be all that is needed to create high comedy and a formidable opponent.

It was only in the final moments of the show–when Rachel opened her mouth to begin singing “You Can’t Stop The Beat”–that I ‘felt’ like Glee was back; the music and performance was great, and there was initial use of the camera focusing on faces during the song that helped to tie the lyrics into the story (although still, showing us Finn’s sad face without having given us more of his story in the episode felt kind of jarring, and having Will–whose always turned to watch Finn’s reaction to Rachel’s singing in the past–turn to watch Kurt’s reaction instead again seemed to signal that the writers want us to think Hummelberry is the main focus of the show, cutting Finn’s tale out).

The most telling thing for me, in thinking back on the episode, was that I didn’t even remember that Eric Stoltz had been the director of the episode until I saw a reference to him two days after the show aired. He directed three of the best episodes of Season Two with an amazing, unique style (Duets, Blame It, and Prom Queen); nothing in this episode had the feeling of any of those, which tells me that the writers didn’t get it right or that post-filming edits drastically changed the tone.

So, after initially being excited to see the show return, I’m feeling more trepidation about what is coming up–trepidation that the show won’t, after all, keep delivering a story that will keep me thinking about it all week and counting down the hours until next Tuesday. Disappointing, since I was counting down the hours from 9:00 p.m. on May 24th, when the final scene of “New York” aired, until 8:00 p.m. on Sept. 20 when Season Three began. So hoping this was an aberration, and that the show doesn’t become something I DVR and having playing in the background while doing other things just in case a good moment or two appears.