Criminal Minds 'Resurrection' Spurs Feelings of Betrayal In BAU: 'There'll Be Hell to Pay'

Emily Prentiss may wish she could have stayed “dead” once her true fate is revealed to the entire BAU team in the Criminal Minds Season 7 premiere (airing Wednesday at 9/8c, CBS).

Criminal Minds Season 7 Gets Personal, Bringing Back JJ’s Baby Daddy and More

Setting the table for her character’s comeback, Paget Brewster tells TVLine, “The reason that I stayed dead is so [terrorist Ian] Doyle wouldn’t attack these people that I care about. But I have to come out of hiding to protect someone else I care abou,t and keep them from being harmed.”

Alas, once the full BAU team is debriefed on the shocking sitch, “They’re all mad at me,” Brewster says, “and I know I gotta face it.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Thomas Gibson Talks Criminal Minds Premiere, Hotch’s Beard

Technically, not all of her coworkers have a beef. After all, JJ and Hotch were in on the ruse — in fact, A.J. Cook tells us, “You find out in one of the early episodes that [JJ and Emily] were actually in contact this whole time.”

But for others on the team, “They were lied to, and in Morgan’s case, I died in front of him as far as he knew,” Brewster says. “So it’s very difficult to just pop up like, ‘Hey guys! Sorrrry.’ Some of them have emotions that they have to go through.”

Explaining Morgan’s individual anger, Shemar Moore says, “When he feels that he loses Prentiss [in the March episode 'Lauren'], he takes the hit for that. It’s hard for him to let it go, because he really believes he could have done something different, had he been there 30 seconds sooner. So as much as he’s relieved [she's alive], he kind of feels betrayed because I thought we were a team. I thought we were a family. Why would you allow my life to get turned upside down with this secret?”

The Women of Criminal Minds Celebrate: The Band Is Back Together!

Joe Mantegna, who plays Rossi, applauds the writers’ decision to allow a bit of anger in those who  believed their colleague was murdered. “We don’t just wash it over and pretend like it never happened, so yeah, there’ll be a little hell to pay,” he notes with a laugh. But in the end, “It’s all positive. I think our fans will appreciate the intelligent way we deal with it.”

Exclusive: Criminal Minds Eyes Heroes Favorite

Ultimately, it’s up to Hotch to compel Morgan to lick his emotional wounds, saying, “It was a decision that had to be made, and we made it. Get over it!” And once it’s gotten over, the foundation is laid for a rich run of episodes, with new textures among the happily reunited team members (including JJ, who herself popped back up in the May finale).

“It’s good stuff to chew on for the first part of the season, but I think everything’s going to be OK,” Thomas Gibson assures fans. “We’re just kind of re-energized with everybody being back together again.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Mel says:

Counting down the hours, I cannot wait!
    Our dream team is back!

• Sarah says:

Looking forward to it. So glad she’s back. Also happy that they are together again and feeling energized about it and that they’re not just sweeping everything under the rug.

2. xav says:

I like that JJ and Emily were in contact the whole time. I think that could add an interesting dynamic where the rest of the team has some residual anger towards JJ for keeping it from them and not just towards Emily.

3. C says:

Would love for them to showcase Emily and JJ’s friendship.

4. GS says:

This is hands down the show I’ve been waiting to return! So glad the gang’s all back! I’ve been watching reruns on A&E all summer to tide me over!

5. Amy says:

I am in love with the fact that they are all back where they belong now. I missed AJ and Paget so much! Can’t freaking wait!!!

6. Samantha says:

This is the ONLY show I watch over & over again. I’m not a repeater follower, in general, but this is the best show ever!
    I spent my youth in the movie theaters while dad was overseas fighting for our country, so it is hard for me to re-watch anything as I’m already clued in on the plots. BUT, Criminal Minds is very unique.
    As an avid mystery lover, I am growing more & more away from NCIS Los Angeles. The plots are absurd & difficult to understand what the heck is going on. Therefore, keep me entertained with Criminal Minds.

7. Mikaylah says:

So excited!! I love that the team is back together. Even though I hate the fact the Paget was gone, the whole Doyle story made her into a bada**, which I love. I can’t wait to see the teams reaction to her being back, and I can’t wait to see what Hotch has been up to in Pakistan.

8. CM says:

Hotch did what he had to do, nothing more, nothing less, all the members of the team, just like TG said, need to “GET OVER IT”. It was all done to protect them, would they be happy if one or more of them were missing or dead, if one of them knew and let slip that Emily was actually into hiding instead of being dead? I don’t think so. Looking forward for tonight, it was a long fight to bring Paget and AJ back and renew Shemar and Thomas’ contracts, they deserve our support tonight and in all the other nights with new episodes. I’m so happy to have them all back, that I can’t express my feelings.
    Thanks so much for this interview, Matt.

9. kevin says:

I’m now giving up on CRIMINAL MINDS this season ’cause I’m truly disappointment on two female characters coming back and looks like it could be its darkest season ever.

• Gretchen says:

You’ve watched previous seasons for the happy go lucky plots they have all the time?

• Chelsea says:

You might should re-read that comment, because it sounds really misogynistic. When you say dark, do you mean scary, or are you saying it’s going to be the worst season? Season 5 was pretty dark (given that Haley Hotchner was murdered while on the phone with Hotch), and season 6 was pretty dark (JJ was ordered to “move up” and Prentiss “died”). I mean, come on, man. Every season of CM is dark. There’s always a mix of personal problems and psycho killers. But please don’t let me stop you from giving up one of the best shows with the best cast ever.

• Sam says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the OP just thinks the show could have “really done something” with the Seaver character insread.

• shelly says:

Seems to me like you have a bit of a problem with strong minded, capable women. Criminal Minds won;t suffer as a result of your boycott because there’s alot more die-hard fans like myself who appreciates the quality programming that this show offers. This is hands-down the best,shows on tv right now.

10. Lambsilencer says:

I also like that Paget and A.J. are back. But I still think that Rachel Nichols got dealt a bad hand. She didn’t deserve what happened to her any more than the other ladies did, even though Ashley Seaver was not a welcome addition.

• Tiffany says:

I agree. I never particularly cared for Seaver, but I don’t like how Rachel was treated, either. They should never have brought in a new character so soon just to be able to say they have a female agent on the team.

• BT says:

It always sucks to lose a job, but let’s look at the facts: Nichols was brought on in an attempt to save money as well as add a character who could ask questions for the audience and maybe bring a little romance to the show. That didn’t work; the majority of fans didn’t respond well to her and the network opted not to ask her back. I’m not saying CBS handled the situation in the most gracious way, but it’s not like she was a multi-year fan favorite veteran who got fired – she was on the show for about 10 or 12 episodes and her contract wasn’t renewed (the reason why so many new actors get short contracts in the first place is so the powers-that-be can see if they’ll work or not before making a major commitment). She’s got tons of fans and a movie career, so can we please stop with the “Poor Rachel” stuff now?

• Sonja says:

agree – and keep in mind Nichols accepted the job-offer, knowing the previous holder was fired (AJ). She did not had a problem with that. Well – she was aware of how CBS runs its business. For me, her “release” was never the same they have done with AJ and PB.
        Hopefully she finds a new challenge and who knows maybe we will see her again in a guest role at CM. Farewell to Rachel and a warm welcome back to AJ & PG!

11. Tiffany says:

5 hours, 48 minutes and counting… I’ve been waiting for this since March!

• shelly says:

I don;t get alot of time to watch tv and whenever i do, there’s alot of crap on that don,t interest me the least bit. I,ve been so sad since March. So glad that Emily and AJ are back and all is great in tv land again. This sucks for my kids now since their bedtime on Wednesdays just moved from 9pm to 8:45, giving me 15 minutes to get cozied up.

12. racbec says:

I don’t like the “just get over it” notion. The decision to fake Prentiss’ death was not an easy one for Hotch. He weighed the need to protect her against risk of damaging his relationship with his team due to his deception. He made the decision, probably the right one, but now he has to accept the consequences–his team’s feelings of betrayal. I hope the episode doesn’t gloss over that.

13. Ele says:

Thanks for the Criminal Minds article!!! I have been eagerly awaiting the season premier, a very special one it is with all my favorites back!!!
    This cast is amazing and so talented and FUN ( watch the video they made call WHEELS UP !).
    So happy it is Wednesday!!!!!

14. Suncatcher says:

Will be watching tonight for the first time – in a year. When the ladies left (or were to go), so did I. They’re back now. So am I.
    Have watched this show since its pilot. Glad producers came to their senses.

15. Lil says:

This is the one show that I am excited about!!! I stopped watching in my own little boycott of CBS and I missed it horribly. I cannot wait until 9 o’clock EST tonight. Yay to whoever made the decision to bring back the characters of badass Emily Prentiss and JJ.

16. Gaby says:

Can’t wait! Hope they really show her emotion to being back, not just the team reactions to her.

17. Alicia says:

This is the only premiere I’ve been crazy anxious to see–so glad the girls are back, especially Prentiss. Hope there are hugs, there probably won’t be, but I can hope :}

18. Ashley says:

I’m so glad that Brewster, Cook, and the whole team-as-family dynamic is finally coming back to “Criminal Minds” and I’m looking forward to watching the emotional fallout of Prentiss’ return. Yes, she, JJ, and Hotch did what they had to do (which will ultimately help heal those wounds in the end) but it doesn’t make her supposed death and the deception around it any less hurtful for the other characters. After season 6’s primary focus on the unsubs and trying to get a team that just didn’t work to work, it’ll be good to have it back on our favorite profilers (and tech analyst).

19. Peg says:

I had been looking forwards to the new season but this episode is so bad I turned it off. The guy playing the head of the senate committee is such a bad actor and the lines he was given are so unbelievable. Please tell me future episodes are going to be better. Take the hair off Hotch’s face Peg

20. El says:

Loved the premiere tonight. So happy they are all back together.
    I look forward to the rest of the season. Great show, great cast.
    every one of the characters are great.

21. Mike says:

Just finished watching the premiere. To quote Willow Rosenberg, “bored now.”

22. Ashley says:

I LOVED the season premiere – little character moments within the bigger storyline, the team standing together against the world, the unsub staying mysterious until the team figures out who it is, and even Strauss was actually kind of likeable. It’s so wonderful to see the chemistry clicking right back into place! I hope the rest of the season follows suit.

23. Jason says:

The premiere sucked, IMO.

24. Sonja says:

Naah, I loved it and I definitly look forward to the upcoming eps. What’s up with Strauss she’s so out of character (perhaps Doyle is her abandoned brother…), Dr. Reid is so calm and stands up, Morgans issues towards Hotch, Emily and JJ etc.

25. Mary says:

The premier was a decent recap to get the program back on track after their disastrous firing of AJ and Paget. I don’t agree about the comments that they should all throw tantrums because they weren’t in on the secret that Prentiss lived. These are supposed to be bad ass top notch professional FBI profilers who are expert in detecting motivation. They would be terrible at their jobs if they couldn’t figure out almost instantly the necessity of deceiving them to protect Prentice and get over the feeling of “awww, you didn’t trust me?” pretty quickly.

What is unrealistic is that Prentiss has no scars just 6 months after being severely beaten (on the face too) and nearly killed. I also have a hard time believing Morgan is so emotional and hot tempered. That job requires controlling one’s temper and reacting with intelligence.

The whole problem with Seaver wasn’t that she supposedly stepped into AJ’s shoes but that her story arc was completely unbelievable. Come-on. We are supposed to believe that a green cadet can function as a great profiler in the top team? She would never be hired into such a team fresh out of the academy. She would have to have a whole lot of experience as a regular freshman agent long before she would ever get considered for that assignment. And one that grew up with a serial killer for a father? Heck, she wouldn’t even be accepted into the academy from that warped background. Remember how much Prentiss had to prove herself with her excellent spy background and experience when she came on board. That made some sense.

26. Michele says:

What is “unsub”? is it short for something? Unidentified subject?

27. bob says:

We Brits are a few days behind you Americans but its coming. So pleased to have the girls back. Very good show, very well written. Can’t wait.

28. Nick says:

I’m not dissapointed by Seaver leaving, didn’t really like her in the first place, but kind of feel sorry for her because she was bumped so abruptly like that (and Prentiss’ line “Good for her” kind of made it a little worse somehow). It’s great to have Prentiss and JJ back, I just hope that CBS realizes that most people will only watch if the “family” is still together. They need to stop firing people and adding new people and killing off people – everything is perfect again so let’s just hope it will stay that way.