Cougar Town Exclusive: Ellie's Mother Is...

Expect some finger guns shooting harsh truths during Season 3 of Cougar Town. TVLine has learned that The Towering Inferno‘s Susan Blakely (who most recently played Ben McKenzie’s mom on Southland) has been cast as Claire, the mother of Christa Miller’s cantankerous Ellie — and first impressions will apparently be deceiving.

According to a Cougar Town insider, “upscale, attractive, patrician” Claire will initially charm the cul-de-sac crew — despite Ellie’s warnings that little Stan’s grandma is a “horrible person.” But it won’t take long for Ellie’s friends to realize she’s in fact not exaggerating.

ABC has yet to schedule a return date for Cougar Town, but there’s buzz it could return as early as November.

Excited about this casting news? Sound off in the comments!

1. Bella says:

Great casting! I look forward to seeing Susan Blakely’s appearance on this show.

2. JJ says:

Can’t wait! November can’t get here fast enough!

3. davey says:

Love me some Cougar Town – but Bill Lawrence (Producer) and Busy Phillips have been tweeting that ABC has said they WILL NOT BE BACK until January…to which I say to ABC – you suck! Hurry on back CT and the Cul-de-Sac Crew!!!

• zhaquiri says:

Not true. It was Busy Phillips who tweeted that they probably won’t be back until January, but Bill Lawrence corrected her and said that they’ll actually be back in November, mid-season.

4. LA says:

I kind of prefer a January return. Shows that get going in November often get lost and/or preempted with holiday programming. I don’t think it would be good for CT (or whatever the new name will be) to come back in November.

5. Grapeviner says:

Bring it on! As a character Ellie absolutely kills me, but then she’s also written / played with heart. I love that we’re going to get to know more about her.

What I don’t love is waiting SO long for Season 3. CT has to be the best show not currently on TV. Even November wouldn’t be soon enough.

6. Joe B. says:

Michael, darling … it’s finger pistols. Pistols.

7. AJ says:

Was hoping for Kelly Bishop (Gilmore Girls), but she’s good too.

8. craig says:

yes with new girl exploding theres no way its gonna air Tues at 9p and I think jan is far better (and more timne for promotion) than November

9. Tammy says:

Wish it would hurry up and come back on!

10. Sherrie Reagan says:

I vote November or sooner! I have been having CT withdrawals

11. Angie says:

I’m getting married in November and I’m just as excited about CT possibly returning!!!!

12. Carolyn says:

Why are they waiting until November? I remember when shows went off the air for the summer and then came back on. Now they’re all over the place. Seems like they’re off more than they’re on. What is going on with TV shows these days?

• BRETT says:

COUGAR TOWN is in trouble, ratings wise (the network’s opinion, not mine) and that’s the reason for part of the delay. They didn’t know where to stick it this fall.

• Eddie says:

I think it’s in big trouble if it’s not on the fall schedule and they are considering a name change. This show may not be back if ABC has something,anything, with better ratings, to replace it with.

• Rob says:

This is so sad. I wonder why they haven’t promoted this show properly (and I do NOT mean “change the name”.. fastest way to jump the shark).?? It is FAR better than Modern Family, and the absolute TOP highlight of my household’s TV watching. We have the DVDs from Season 2 right now to try and keep us going until it returns. All of in the prime demographic here are SO upset with ABC for delaying this show and all the promotional bungling they are doing with it! ABC is worse than Netflix in that respect! Its ratings are not due to the show or the title: only ABC’s messed up executives!

• shane says:

Far better than Modern Family. You must be crazy. ( Just check the Emmy’s) Courtney Cox is comedy’s equivalent to nails on a chalk board. Even on Friends, her and David Schwimmer were 2 anchors that were carried by the rest of the cast. This show is pathetic and tired and along with Ms. Cox, should be put out of it’s misery.

• Andrew says:

I know where they can stick it!

13. blue says:

when the third season starts?

14. StephB says:

Better not cancel Cougar town! Don’t even spread that rumor.

Since the writer’s strike a couple years back, I’ve seen some really good shows get cut… and some really bad ones stay? It’s inexplicable. Please NO Cougar Town scares !!!!

Love Bobby …. “What’s that you said Jaybird?”

15. kevin says:

With all the crap that is on that channel, it is hard to believe it is being delayed so long. Get real people!!!!!

16. Karen Watchorn says:

It better come back!!!

17. Karen Frantz says:

Why do we have to wait until November?? All these other shows….like Modern Family…are already out! What’s up with that??

18. MikeyM says:

Cougar town should not wait till Novemeber.

19. Rob Knight says:

Now that Charlie Sheen is gone Cougar Town is one of the few remaining shows I enjoy. Hope it’s back soon!

20. Shane Patrick Haley says:

Just cancel it . It’s like beating a dead horse. The show, and more to the point, Courtney Cox is , and never was, even on Friends, funny. Sorry for delivering the painful truth…

• Grapevine says:

Delivering the painful truth? Now that’s comedy writing at its best. Nice job, sir.

I do find Courtney Cox funny in Cougar Town, although I by no means find her to be the funniest – Busy Phillips and Christa Miller steal the show just about every episode. But I get the impression she’s a generous performer, and it’s often her delivery in a previous line that makes another actor’s line hit the spot.

Sure, as a fan I think it would be great if CT’s ratings were strong enough to guarantee its future on our screens. However, the comedies with the widest appeal don’t tend to be the ones I personally find funniest. The lowest common denominator isn’t a draw for me. If Cougar Town is cancelled in the near future I’ll be really disappointed, but on balance I’d rather have had two or three seasons of the show the way it is than ten seasons of a more generic comedy with sky-high ratings.

21. lee says:

I wish it was on before November !!!

22. RodneyH says:

PENNY CAAAAANNN! :)

23. phoenixguy1 says:

Penny Caaaaan!

I might be the only straight black guy that watches this show, cast me I wanna be a part of the cul-de-sac crew! They need some color on that block…I mean ellies hubby is cubin but thst doesn’t count…lol.

24. chelsey says:

NOVEMBER, Why???????? Myself and friends LOVE Cougar Town and looked forward every week getting together and laughing our asses off. PLEASE bring it back sooner.

25. chelsey says:

oops…got kind of excited…sorry. Anyways, Susan is a great addition. BTW, she never ages…looks incredible.

26. Kara B says:

and WHY are you making us wait??? The other shows are LAME. We want Cougar Town BACK! PENNY CAN!

27. sheila says:

please don’t cancel cougartown, my fav show for the last two seasons!!!!

28. M.Espie says:

FANTASTIC!!!
    This is a well written, well directed, and superbly acted show. The actors all have excellent timing which shows they all get along and mesh well in their off-set personas. So often does a network have in its hands a very good quality show and decide to dump it because the money-men in the network cannot comprehend anything outside their calculators. sometimes one show or more can be allowed to be not AS financially successful as the A-Team was because they are the shows that bring gravitas to the network. If all the shows were simply full-house/Three’s company/A-Team drivel then the network may have temporary success but long term they would have a mass exodus of talent because talent is drawn to quality not as much to greed.
    I’m so glad ABC’s team has recognized that they should stick with quality above greed and now the future for ABC will be known for quality television. Observe the network that primarily chooses profit over quality, they will be ridiculed and pitied.

29. W. L. says:

ABC is always so disappointing when it comes to scheduling and canceling shows. I can’t believe Cougar Town is still not scheduled until January 2012.

30. bisnis says:

Terribly well written read..