Cougar Town Exclusive: Ellie's Mother Is…

Expect some finger guns shooting harsh truths during Season 3 of Cougar Town. TVLine has learned that The Towering Inferno‘s Susan Blakely (who most recently played Ben McKenzie’s mom on Southland) has been cast as Claire, the mother of Christa Miller’s cantankerous Ellie — and first impressions will apparently be deceiving.

According to a Cougar Town insider, “upscale, attractive, patrician” Claire will initially charm the cul-de-sac crew — despite Ellie’s warnings that little Stan’s grandma is a “horrible person.” But it won’t take long for Ellie’s friends to realize she’s in fact not exaggerating.

ABC has yet to schedule a return date for Cougar Town, but there’s buzz it could return as early as November.

Excited about this casting news? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (40)

• Great casting! I look forward to seeing Susan Blakely’s appearance on this show.

Comment by Bella – September 21, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! November can’t get here fast enough!

Comment by JJ – September 21, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait for cougar town to start. I love this show, Courtney Cox is amazing and the crew . Get it started.

Comment by dawn barr – November 29, 2011 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love me some Cougar Town – but Bill Lawrence (Producer) and Busy Phillips have been tweeting that ABC has said they WILL NOT BE BACK until January…to which I say to ABC – you suck! Hurry on back CT and the Cul-de-Sac Crew!!!

Comment by davey – September 21, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not true. It was Busy Phillips who tweeted that they probably won’t be back until January, but Bill Lawrence corrected her and said that they’ll actually be back in November, mid-season.

Comment by zhaquiri – September 21, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of prefer a January return. Shows that get going in November often get lost and/or preempted with holiday programming. I don’t think it would be good for CT (or whatever the new name will be) to come back in November.

Comment by LA – September 21, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring it on! As a character Ellie absolutely kills me, but then she’s also written / played with heart. I love that we’re going to get to know more about her.

What I don’t love is waiting SO long for Season 3. CT has to be the best show not currently on TV. Even November wouldn’t be soon enough.

Comment by Grapeviner – September 21, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, darling … it’s finger pistols. Pistols.

Comment by Joe B. – September 21, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Darling, “finger guns” is a show thing, like “harsh truths”. Finger guns. Guns.

Comment by zhaquiri – September 21, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was hoping for Kelly Bishop (Gilmore Girls), but she’s good too.

Comment by AJ – September 21, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am pretty sure that Kelly Bishop is busy being awesome on Broadway. I think she would have been good too though.

Comment by Asha – September 21, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes with new girl exploding theres no way its gonna air Tues at 9p and I think jan is far better (and more timne for promotion) than November

Comment by craig – September 21, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish it would hurry up and come back on!

Comment by Tammy – September 21, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote November or sooner! I have been having CT withdrawals

Comment by Sherrie Reagan – September 21, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m getting married in November and I’m just as excited about CT possibly returning!!!!

Comment by Angie – September 21, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they waiting until November? I remember when shows went off the air for the summer and then came back on. Now they’re all over the place. Seems like they’re off more than they’re on. What is going on with TV shows these days?

Comment by Carolyn – September 21, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COUGAR TOWN is in trouble, ratings wise (the network’s opinion, not mine) and that’s the reason for part of the delay. They didn’t know where to stick it this fall.

Comment by BRETT – September 21, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s in big trouble if it’s not on the fall schedule and they are considering a name change. This show may not be back if ABC has something,anything, with better ratings, to replace it with.

Comment by Eddie – September 21, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is so sad. I wonder why they haven’t promoted this show properly (and I do NOT mean “change the name”.. fastest way to jump the shark).?? It is FAR better than Modern Family, and the absolute TOP highlight of my household’s TV watching. We have the DVDs from Season 2 right now to try and keep us going until it returns. All of in the prime demographic here are SO upset with ABC for delaying this show and all the promotional bungling they are doing with it! ABC is worse than Netflix in that respect! Its ratings are not due to the show or the title: only ABC’s messed up executives!

Comment by Rob – September 22, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Far better than Modern Family. You must be crazy. ( Just check the Emmy’s) Courtney Cox is comedy’s equivalent to nails on a chalk board. Even on Friends, her and David Schwimmer were 2 anchors that were carried by the rest of the cast. This show is pathetic and tired and along with Ms. Cox, should be put out of it’s misery.

Comment by shane – September 22, 2011 06:51 PM PDT
      • I know where they can stick it!

Comment by Andrew – October 18, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when the third season starts?

Comment by blue – September 21, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better not cancel Cougar town! Don’t even spread that rumor.

Since the writer’s strike a couple years back, I’ve seen some really good shows get cut… and some really bad ones stay? It’s inexplicable. Please NO Cougar Town scares !!!!

Love Bobby …. “What’s that you said Jaybird?”

Comment by StephB – September 21, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all the crap that is on that channel, it is hard to believe it is being delayed so long. Get real people!!!!!

Comment by kevin – September 21, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It better come back!!!

Comment by Karen Watchorn – September 21, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do we have to wait until November?? All these other shows….like Modern Family…are already out! What’s up with that??

Comment by Karen Frantz – September 21, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cougar town should not wait till Novemeber.

Comment by MikeyM – September 21, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Charlie Sheen is gone Cougar Town is one of the few remaining shows I enjoy. Hope it’s back soon!

Comment by Rob Knight – September 22, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just cancel it . It’s like beating a dead horse. The show, and more to the point, Courtney Cox is , and never was, even on Friends, funny. Sorry for delivering the painful truth…

Comment by Shane Patrick Haley – September 22, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Delivering the painful truth? Now that’s comedy writing at its best. Nice job, sir.

I do find Courtney Cox funny in Cougar Town, although I by no means find her to be the funniest – Busy Phillips and Christa Miller steal the show just about every episode. But I get the impression she’s a generous performer, and it’s often her delivery in a previous line that makes another actor’s line hit the spot.

Sure, as a fan I think it would be great if CT’s ratings were strong enough to guarantee its future on our screens. However, the comedies with the widest appeal don’t tend to be the ones I personally find funniest. The lowest common denominator isn’t a draw for me. If Cougar Town is cancelled in the near future I’ll be really disappointed, but on balance I’d rather have had two or three seasons of the show the way it is than ten seasons of a more generic comedy with sky-high ratings.

Comment by Grapevine – September 23, 2011 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish it was on before November !!!

Comment by lee – September 23, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PENNY CAAAAANNN! :)

Comment by RodneyH – September 26, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Penny Caaaaan!

I might be the only straight black guy that watches this show, cast me I wanna be a part of the cul-de-sac crew! They need some color on that block…I mean ellies hubby is cubin but thst doesn’t count…lol.

Comment by phoenixguy1 – September 26, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOVEMBER, Why???????? Myself and friends LOVE Cougar Town and looked forward every week getting together and laughing our asses off. PLEASE bring it back sooner.

Comment by chelsey – September 27, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oops…got kind of excited…sorry. Anyways, Susan is a great addition. BTW, she never ages…looks incredible.

Comment by chelsey – September 27, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and WHY are you making us wait??? The other shows are LAME. We want Cougar Town BACK! PENNY CAN!

Comment by Kara B – September 27, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please don’t cancel cougartown, my fav show for the last two seasons!!!!

Comment by sheila – September 30, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FANTASTIC!!!
    This is a well written, well directed, and superbly acted show. The actors all have excellent timing which shows they all get along and mesh well in their off-set personas. So often does a network have in its hands a very good quality show and decide to dump it because the money-men in the network cannot comprehend anything outside their calculators. sometimes one show or more can be allowed to be not AS financially successful as the A-Team was because they are the shows that bring gravitas to the network. If all the shows were simply full-house/Three’s company/A-Team drivel then the network may have temporary success but long term they would have a mass exodus of talent because talent is drawn to quality not as much to greed.
    I’m so glad ABC’s team has recognized that they should stick with quality above greed and now the future for ABC will be known for quality television. Observe the network that primarily chooses profit over quality, they will be ridiculed and pitied.

Comment by M.Espie – October 13, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC is always so disappointing when it comes to scheduling and canceling shows. I can’t believe Cougar Town is still not scheduled until January 2012.

Comment by W. L. – November 10, 2011 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terribly well written read..

Comment by bisnis – November 20, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post