Sing-Off Season Premiere: Who Was Your Fave?

Get More: Reality TV, Recaps

Thanks to Monday’s action-packed TV schedule — check out my colleague Matt Webb Mitovich’s rundown on the night’s ratings here — I had to push off the Season 3 premiere of NBC’s The Sing-Off till my Tuesday afternoon lunch break. (Anyone else have this dilemma?)

Eight of this year’s 16 a capella acts made their debut (the second bracket of contestants will perform next week), and the judges’ two picks for eviction were fairly obvious: the Fannin Family was sweet, but more county- than state-fair level; the Cat’s Pajamas had tight harmonies but dripped more cheese than a Sbarro’s slice underneath a heat lamp.

Much harder was figuring out which of the six surviving acts has the best chance to take home the Season 3 crown. Afro-Blue brought a smooth, jazzy vibe that judge Shawn Stockman likened to butter on grits, while Urban Method managed to upgrade “Love the Way You Lie” to almost operatic levels. Still, if I had to narrow it down to just one act, I’d say the all-lady belters of Delilah have my loyalty. Their rendition of “Grenade” featured ferocious lead-vocal holleration, unexpected dynamics, and just enough sex appeal to make ‘em a viable iTunes act. I thought I was done with “Grendade” covers, but Delilah detonated all my expectations.

What about you? Take our poll below and tell us which of the six remaining Bracket A acts is your favorite, then hit the comments to explain your logic. And for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Comments (21)

• Afro-Blue! I love them- sophisticated, artistic, mature, and fun to watch.

Comment by Karen O – September 20, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the premise of the show..I liked Afro Blue best. It was different to see a group of young folks with such a mellow and seasoned sound!!! I hope to hear more great things from them

Comment by Sandra G – September 20, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vocal Point. They had a really fun performance and great sound. I hope their missing guy makes it back.

Comment by Kate – September 20, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Went to itunes and bought the Yellowjackets Wavin’ Flag, really loved it. As much as I appreciated the talent of Delilah, I am SO over Grenade (btw, typo in ur article says Grendade). Can’t wait to see what they do next though. A lot of great talent on this show!

Comment by Denise – September 20, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m stuck between Afro-Blue and Delilah. I don’t normally enjoy all-female groups, but they had a great sound and I didn’t find myself missing a male voice. I’m so excited for the rest of the season!

Comment by Tiffany – September 20, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say, I disagree about Urban Method, and it must have been much better in person than on TV. A lot was made about the idea that it was the first rapper on the Sing-Off, but, while the backing vocals were pretty incredible, the leads — both the girl attempting Rihanna and the rapper-guy — sounded like they were doing bad imitations rather than actually bringing anything special to the song.

I’m all for the Yellowjackets at this point. The judges were absolutely correct in their assessment, but the emotion they had went straight through the TV out to the whole audience. I guess Delilah would be my second choice; “Grenade” was pretty awesome.

Also, I adore Sara Bareilles as a judge, and I think Ben Folds is my favorite judge in all of reality television.

Comment by Tyler – September 20, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delilah all the way. They gave me chills throughout their dynamic performance.
    Afro-Blue was technically sound, but I didn’t feel anything. YellowJackets were great, but a little too overpowering at times. Vocal Point had me smiling the entire time. I actually enjoyed Urban Method, but I hope they don’t incorporate rap every week. I think Kinfolk 9 will be a group to watch out for.
    Can’t wait to see next week’s groups. Really looking forward to The Collective & Pentatonix.

Comment by Taylor – September 20, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was loving Delilah! I am however partial to the Yellow Jackets, but am probably also biased because one of the members is an alumni of the school district I teach at.

Comment by Carolyn – September 20, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delilah was my fav last nite, but, I really liked the Lead Guy on Kinfolk 9. <– My Dark Horse.

Great first episode.

Comment by Alienate – September 20, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delilah
    Afro Blue
    Urban Method

Comment by Margot – September 20, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing I didn’t care for with Delilah was that the lead on the song felt too conscious and tentative in her presence and movement. It was such a stark contrast to her vocal performance.
    I’d have to agree that Kinfolk 9 might be a dark horse throughout, but I think Folds called it right that they need time to gel as a group. There were points during their song where it was just a wall of sound not anything harmonizing or, conversely, captivating in any kind of diversity.
    Vocal Point was great in that traditional a cappella style and I love ‘Jump, Jive, an’ Wail’. I need to hear more from them, complete eclecticism of styles, to get on their bandwagon.
    I’m kind of in the same boat with Afro-Blue. There were points during ‘Put Your Records On’ when it sounds kind of sloppy and muddled and not in an artistic way. The lead was engaging enough, though. I’m waiting to see more from them.
    The right two groups were let go, though.

Comment by Tucker – September 20, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Must confess I miss last year’s female judge. She had better commentary and insight
    (technical,musical etc)

Comment by Margot – September 20, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re joking, right?

Comment by J – September 20, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt that Cat’s Pajamas was technically superior to Kinfolk 9, and would have liked to see them follow the judge’s advice to mix it up some. My guess is that the judges let Kinfolk 9 thru not on their merits, but their back story. (“Cat’s Pajamas is already working 200 gigs a year. Kinfolk 9 is a bunch of struggling artists — let’s keep them…”)

Comment by Rich – September 20, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    (technical,musical etc) She also had
    much better chemistry with the other judges.

Comment by Margot – September 20, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally disagree. I like Sara much more than Nicole (or whatever her name was), plus Sara is a better singer.

Comment by Davey – September 20, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! So glad you’re recapping this show! Hope you didn’t miss the judge’s commentary, but God love ya I know you’ve got a killer recap schedule. Sarah Bareilles is a great addition to the judge’s panel – adorable, smart, really funny. Like the entire judge’s panel, really. Hard to pick a fave at this point. I kinda liked them all, but thought the judges made the right elimination choice.

Comment by NanCeE* – September 20, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite moment was every one involving Sara B. I heart her.

Comment by Jack – September 20, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yeah, Delilah was awesome and our household favorite! Who would have thought that an all-female group could sound so great? For sure this will be an excellent season because all of the six groups going on from last night could be winners. I love this show!

Comment by Mary – September 20, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The three you mentioned were my favorites as well, but Delilah won it by a mile. I was almost wishing that Nicole was still on the panel so she could tell the how good they were, considering she started out in an all-girl group as well. Of course, all of these girls could sing, which may not have been the same with the Dolls.

Comment by John – September 20, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post