Scoop: Secret Circle Gets Major Smallville Infusion

The Secret Circle is getting some fancy new super powers — two of them, to be precise.

Longtime Smallville showrunners Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders are returning to the CW fold with a consulting gig on the bewitching freshman drama, sources confirm to TVLine.

The pair — who have a development deal at Warner Bros. (which produces Secret Circle) — will work alongside current showrunner Kevin Williamson.

Secret Circle got off to a promising ratings start last Thursday, retaining 100 percent of its Vampire Diaries lead-in among total viewers and nearly matching VD in the demo.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Tucker says:

Yay, congrats to B&K on the new gig. Hoping to see them create a show of their own sometime soon.

2. Gabbie says:

I liked the character and will be watching a couple more episodes before making up my mind. Still can’t decide whether I like the two other girls or not….

3. ErixN says:

I enjoyed Smallville, but I hope they don’t ruin the show.

4. Jason says:

They ruined Smallville. Once Millar and Gough left it was all downhill. Best of luck to Secret Circle.

• CHRIS says:

I really wish Millar and Gough would do a Wonder Woman series on the cw.

• Tucker says:

Anyone who saw the awful Season 4 of Smallville, the bounce-back in the first half of Season 5, and then the slow decline of the show afterward leading to the horrible Season 7 knows the show was creatively spent under Gough and Millar. To see the show spark and catch life again under Souders and Peterson was a joy.

• Jess says:

clearly you weren’t watching cause the show was rejuvenating during B&K’s reign. S8,9,&10 were a welcome breath of fresh air after the mess that was Season 7

• Carrie says:

I agree. Even though I liked Supergirl, Season 7 was my least favorite. I thought the show was going to go downhill at that point, but it improved tremendously once they left. Seasons 8, 9 & 10 were the best of the series. I’m sure Tom Welling also deserves some credit, since he became a producer in the later seasons as well.

• Darcy says:

I wasn’t such a fan of Season 8, but that was Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer anyway (who went on to ruin Melrose Place), but I really loved Season 9. Bar a couple of dull episodes, it was a great season. I haven’t seen 10 yet as I live in Australia and buy the DVDs.

• AT says:

I agree that season 7 was a mess, and season 8 felt like a breath of fresh air, BUT the season finale of season 8 made season 7 look like Oscar material. Also, I was not a huge fan of season 9 and 10 besides the Chloe/Oliver scenes. I just thought the show became more mediocre.

• jo says:

Ugh! Peterson’s and especially Souder’s insistence on ramming ‘chlollie’ down our throats ruined season 10 for me. And Souder’s insistence on making the ‘cless’ scenes as hot as possible turned me off completely. A Clark that was capable of incest in an alternate universe was not a show I wanted to watch any more.

• Angie says:

Lol, what? Smallville got SO much better once Millar and Gough left.

5. Fiona says:

No. No. No. No. Let Kevin Williamson do his thing. Why would you take the creative force behind a show that wandered in its storylines and was mediocre at best, and put them over a creative force that has consistently pulled out fabulous shocker moments and some great storytelling. No.

One of the things I admire most about TVD is the deftness of the pacing. They know what things to hurry along, and what things to move at a snails pace. In this way, it never feels too slow, there’s plenty of shocking moves, but at the same time, they never undermine themselves with pulling out all they’re big stops too fast. This is exactly what Smallville did *not* know how to do. Why? Just, why?

6. Guess says:

I didn’y like the pilot anyway, I don’t see how the Smallville staff could make any difference.

7. jrp001 says:

this is the exact thing this series does NOT need.

8. Casey says:

So apparently I was the only one never disappointed with Smallville. Silly me. Anyway, the Secret Circle pilot was so slow, I couldn’t get into it. But I’m still gonna give it another chance because I love Kevin Williamson and he’s made some of my favorite shows and movies. Maybe bringing Smallville people in to the mix is just what the show needs. I guess we’ll see. (:

• Angel says:

Yeah, I wasn’t immediately hooked but then I wasn’t with The Vampire Diaries either. It’s generally agreed that it took TVD four or five episodes to really figure out what they were doing with the show.

9. Val says:

NOW I have more than good reason to watch it. Kelly did amazing things for Chloe especially in the last season, she’s my hero. =D

• Kal says:

Of course she is, she wrote all your stupid fanfiction on the show didnt she. She was just a delusional fan girl just like the rest of you. Not a single proffesional bone in her body, she takes things personally and write from a biased point of view. Don’t even care if she ruin a show and destroys characters. its quite ironic really in trying to pimp Chloe she actually did the opposite and ruined her too even worse. You were actually happy with that, Low standards.

That infamous duo is going to ruin Secret circle, this is one show I wont be watching, same with Vampire diaries, anything those Smallville pathetic crew touch I won’t watch.

• Matt says:

Now I have ONE very good reason and excuse not to bother with this show.

10. Sid says:

Trouble in the witch world? TSC already has Andrew Miller and Kevin Williamson as head writers, and show-runners/executive producers.

Why enlist help from the SMALLVILLE team?

11. Autumn says:

NNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! They RUINED Smallville. Well, made it worse than it already was. Then there was Failsday with Davis which I don’t even want to talk about….I really don’t want them touching my favorite books as a teen because they are my LEAST favorite writers. I’ve seen what they do with “soul mates” and characters seeking redemption like Davis. Gosh, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

• Autumn says:

And I just want to add that TSC is a paranormal romance. Chloe and Davis is a paranormal romance. Fans of this genre do not want people who cannot write paranormal romance well touching it. Just saying.

12. Anon says:

WORST NEWS EVER! No offense to Souders and Peterson as human beings, but they single-handedly created my WORST television experience in my entire life. I’m talking about Doomsday, er Failsday. They destroyed Davis Bloome, one of the best things that ever happened to Smallville. They created a disgusting message by saying that Davis, a foster kid, who grew up to be a great guy, and had no free will, could not find redemption in the end. Bad blood=Bad blood. I guess they never read Oliver Twist or Jane Eyre. I felt SICK watching that episode. I’m sorry, but these two writers destroyed the whole message of Superman, spit all over Chloe and kept Chimmy (the worst TV couple in history) together even though they knew everyone hated it. I could go off and off, but I LOVED these books growing up and the thought of their storytelling even touching them scares me. Let me guess. Nick, the bad boy, will become a psycho in the end and try to kill Cassie. Then he won’t even get a funeral after the rest of the circle group together and kill him. They ruined the Chlark friendship, ruined the epic Chlavis which could give Adam and Cassie a run for their money, made Superman a narcisstic jerk who wore black leaving his mark like Zorro, and took away Lex’s memories in the end. Also, I find it hilarious that a lot of the people excited about Souders and Peterson don’t like Secret Circle. I thought it was a great pilot, but now I’m worried for its future.

• Anon says:

On a more positive note, I wanted to add that I do think they have some writing talent, so I’m going to hope that they learned from their Doomsday mistakes, and what they add to the Secret Circle will be good.

13. Kim says:

Ugh! Gough and Millar may have been pretty inept as showrunners but their replacements Peterson and Souders took incompetence to a whole new level. They were responsible for the lousiest Smallville episodes ever – Power, Requiem, Doomsday, Warrior, Turbulence, Luthor, Kent, Patriot and Prophecy being the worst, IMO. The series finale sucked really hard too. What in the world was Kevin Williamson thinking? Do the doodoo duo have compromising photos of him or something?

• Kim says:

I almost forgot Scion, Collateral, Fortune and Supergirl (I wish I could!) They stank on ice too. Season 10 was mostly a colossal waste of time. It it wasn’t for Erica Durance as Lois Lane I would have ditched Crapville long ago.

14. Max says:

Secret circle have been bewitched, what a cursed show!!. kelly soulders destroys everything she touches, and Brian peterson follows around her like a puppy dog with no opinion of his own. This shows has gone to the dogs, unlucky secret circle fans. Thank god I dont watch the show, even If i was considering, its a good thing I didnt and won’t be, Thank god its not a DC comics show. Wait till they start obsessing with Allison Mack their pet favourite and giving in to her whiny delusional fangirls wanting her on the show, and toss away the actual leads of the show and the story gone.

Im just sad really that losers like this are going to destroy a brand new show that could actually have potential. CW you suck even worse for letting these two incompetent idiotic writers work anymore on any show.

• Autumn says:

As someone who is a huge fan of Chloe, and not that big of a fan of Souders and Peterson, all I have to say is HUH? Their pet favorite? Oh you mean the character that was sidelined for the last two seasons? Even though I appreciated her ending, it was rushed. They didn’t give her story much consideration. It was more of an afterthought. On that note though, it could have been an ending most Chloe fans hated. I was just relieved it wasn’t.

But as a fan of BOTH Chloe and Secret Circle, I find your comments insulting. This isn’t Smallville so no one is touching your precious comics. Delusional fangirls? Give me a break. No one is demanding Allison Mack join the show (although she would be very welcome back to television wherever she went as a talented actress). And calling the writers (even though I don’t love their writing much of the time) losers is way too harsh and out of line.

• Max says:

“harsh and out of line”

Do I look like I care, I don’t. The truth needs to be said. Those two are bad writers and showrunners,everything I said about them is true. What I said of (most) Chloe/Allison fans is also very true, I know it, you know it, they (the Smallville writers know it). if you are not the one I’m taking about then its not you. No problem with you, the loud mouthed delusional fanatic ones know themselves.

Anyway good LUCK to secret circle fans they are going to need it.!!!!

15. kaL says:

= CANCELLED

16. James says:

Clearly NO-ONE here has read the article. It says Peterson and Souders are going to be consultants on the secret circle. It doesn’t say anything about them producing, writing or anything other than offering a bit of friendly advice.

Sheesh people on the internet need to learn to read the whole thing before ranting on about what is essentially invalid points.

• Lisa says:

Oh we read it loud and clear, COUNSULTING GIG. As if that is any better. Brian & kelly=bad news =Bad advice.

Look at how they ruined Smallville, after Almiles. S10 was crap and a disgrace to the legacy of Smallville, s9 barely just performed. Anyone who takes serious advice, probably doesnt have high hopes or ambition for this show.

17. Dee says:

Wow- talk about kiss of death….

18. txt says:

Thats an all round amazingly written piece!!