Ratings: Two and a Half Men Gets Very High Sans Sheen, With a Record 28.7 Million Viewers

Ashton Kutcher is indeed packing. Viewers, and a lot of ‘em. The season premiere of CBS’ rejiggered Two and a Half Men on Monday night drew a series-high 27.7 million total viewers, almost doubling the audience of the sitcom’s year-ago opener.

The much-anticipated outing also scored a whopping 10.3 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo, more than doubling its tally there from the 2010 premiere.

What’s more, Men‘s mighty return represents ths most-watched season premiere for any scripted show since Desperate Housewives circa 2005.

(UPDATE: According to the finals, Men was adjusted up to 28.74 million viewers and a 10.7 rating.)

The ‘New’ Two and a Half Men: Our Two and a Half Cents on the Premiere

All told, CBS’ sitcom line-up had much to smile about. A double helping of How I Met Your Mother delivered 11.7 million viewers and a 4.9 rating, up some 34 percent from a year ago and both all-time highs, while 2 Broke Girls cashed in on their one-time lead-in by premiering to 19.2 mil and a 7.0 — up 57 and 79 percent from Mike & Molly‘s series debut. (CBS notes that 2 Broke Girls marks TV’s most-watched comedy premiere since 2001’s Inside Schwartz.)

Castle In Review: So Yeah, That Happened – and the Series Creator Explains Why

The night’s other big gainer was ABC’s Castle, which with 13.6 million viewers and a 3.2 rating improved on its previous premiere by 21 and 14 percent, respectively. Elsewhere in the 10 o’clock slot, Hawaii Five-0 returned to 12 million viewers and a 3.4 rating (shedding half of its lead-in and down 10 percent from its 2010 debut, but besting Castle in the demo), while NBC’s The Playboy Club (5 mil/1.6) only drew two-thirds of the numbers Chase chased a year ago — and we all know how that turned out.

Dancing With the Stars Season 13 Premiere Recap: Glitter Aftertaste

And lastly, in the reality-TV realm: The Dancing With the Stars premiere (18.6 mil/3.9) dropped 12 percent from last fall’s opener, while NBC’s The Sing-Off didn’t even manage Chuck numbers, mustering just 5.2 million viewers and a 1.9 rating.

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. Bella says:

I enjoyed Ashton Kutcher on the show. Once he came on the scene, things got better. I found the funeral mostly painful and cringeworthy, and not really funny, except for a few bits.

• DL says:

I actually found the funeral really funny. I commented to my brother that the real “Roast of Charlie Sheen” was not on Comedy Central, but right there on “Two and a Half Men.” Yes, it was completely irreverent, and at times a little gross, but certainly not painful (for me), and cringe-worthy only in the best of ways.
      As for Kutcher, I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was his character executed well in the writing, but his delivery was spot on, and you never got a sense that he was stepping into a gig that belonged to someone else. He was darn funny, and I applaud him.
      I also think that having this new dynamic of a character who doesn’t intend to go out and get laid all the time, but does so anyway, is a good way to shake things up. The old formula was getting a little stale anyway.

• Heather says:

I agree – I said to my husband, nothing they say at the roast tonight will hold a candle to what was just done. Funny, funny episode, enjoyable guest stars. Intended to watch for a few minutes and watched the whole episode.

• Guee says:

Funeral aside, it was a very fun episode. I thought Kutcher introduction made sense, the acting was solid and the wrting was flawless. The show should survive if they keep things like this

• rs williams says:

Am really dissapointed , not the same .I’m sorry Charlie didn’t work out , my husband and I really like the show, but a diffrent replacement would have been better, For instance ALEC BALDWIN would have been perfect.

• fan says:

Holly balls! I’m so happy that ABC added the Dancing wts, with its 247 episode w/season 7 on to the Monday nite lineup. Network play that game series & now. 2&1/2 men have 189 episode season 9 kicked its ass. That means the people opt to DVR ABC precious DWTS lol I think they should put all these type of show on Monday nites & let Nielsen Rating weed some of these type of shows off. I double dog DARE THE NETWORKS to Put the network best Reality up against each other like (American Idol, Bachelor Kitchen )etc…and lets see how many Reality shows rating drop while they opt to DVR one over another show. Dare THE NETWORKS PUT THE PRECIOUS REALITY SHOW ON CHOPPING BLOCK like you do series shows. Let the Nielsen Rating live rating axes these type show off the air as well. I have been a fan of this show for years and will continue to watch. My hats off to the writers. Technology rocks & luv my DVR I can’t believed anyone is still watching live TV. I hope enough of you watch it live next wk kick dwts in the ass again. The new and old series shows series still rocks. It beats hell out all those REALITY show.

2. Martina says:

Yes no surprise it had huge ratings, but what will the ratings be in a month’s time?

• Sivat says:

Exactly. People just tuned in for the shock value. The fact is, no matter who stars in 2.5 Men, it’s just not very funny.

• shelly says:

they will go down one…i won’t watch again…jon cryer did a great job, but i’m done…thought ashton kucher was awful

• carol says:

Agree completely. Ashton kutcher is no comedian and did not say one clever line. in fact he was really a pitiful character. having to strip down to get laughs is really not very funny. the whole show was disjointed. he suddenly out of nowhere said “i will buy your house” who does that?jon cryer suddenly takes him out for a drink-does that happen in real life?the funeral scene was cringeworthy but of course the general public wil say it was funny. talk about sheep! you just need one person to say it is funny and everyone else will follow suit. the young boy is all grown up and should have been replaced in this new season

• Babygate says:

Agreed. I watched last night for the novelty and because I like Ashton, but won’t be back next week…

3. Jo says:

Yea it’s sad that next week will probably be an all time low. I did watch men with an open mind… and Ashton Kutcher was just horrible.. Jon Cryer is a funny actor that went well with Sheen… Kutcher didn’t make any sense…why was his acting all weird… Well hopefully Charlie ran away with a a bunch of hookers in France, and comes back mid season and put Kutcher out of his misery

• Gretchen says:

Obviously you did not watch then, b/c you would know that not only did Charlie ‘die’, but he also died a brutal death. So yeah, not coming back.

• CJ says:

It’s TV, you can always bring back “dead” people especially with the way they did this as it was a death in a foreign country and cremation. They actually left the door wide open for a Sheen return. Witness protection?

• E says:

Just because Rose said he died brutally, doesn’t mean he did. She’s not all there. Plus, they didn’t show a body. They left the door open for a Charlie return if they ever need (and are able) to use it.

4. Gary says:

Knew it would rate highly but the show is utter trash. I haven’t watched it in 7 years and thought why not take a look at it and i know why i haven’t watched it for that period of time. Nothing has changed. Same old trash.

5. richard neith says:

I miss Charlie already but the show was still funny.The writers and sexual jokes are great!

6. Mikaylah says:

I thought Ashton did an okay job. It was only his first episode though, which of course called for a lot of set-up for his character. I’m not a regular viewer of the show, but I hope it does well without Charlie Sheen.

7. Wyllyan says:

Eu achei muito bom, Kutcher é um cara muito engraçado, no começo é diferente, mas achei muito legal, a série ja tava ficando repetitiva, agora tudo mudou, eu gostei demais

8. Lina says:

I enjoyed it very much. I thought Ashton K was great and very funny. I was a little tired of the same old Men and am happy for a fresh face. I haven’t DVR’d men in years but have added it back to my season pass

• carol says:

you thought ashton kutcher was great and funny??? which show were you watching. he did not say one funny thing and had to run around naked to get laughs, How is that funny?the whole episode was badly written, the housekeeper was the funniest and jon cryer did an amazing job. he is the central character in case anyone noticed. kutcher was a bad choice to begin with. he is not funny at all on and off screen!

9. dee says:

I’m one who watched “just to see” but with no intention of ever watching again. I never watched the original–I think the show is stupid, and the kid is a TERRIBLE actor. He’s unwatchable. But by far the BEST part of the episode was when Dharma & Greg showed up at the open house. Hysterical.

• trish says:

I loved that they showed up too..I had high hopes for that scene…but I didn’t like the negative tone it took…I wish they had stayed true to what their relationship was like on the show….

• Moonbeam says:

The “kid,” as you call him, has some of the best comic timing of any young actor in HISTORY. But I can understand if you were unimpressed if all you saw was last night’s episode. His part as written for him in last night’s episode did not showcase his abilities at all. He’s actually a brilliant young comic actor.

10. brandy says:

That is crazy! I watched and thoroughly enjoyed The Sing-Off instead.

• Mark S says:

I watched the Sing-Off also and loved it. However, I am not surprised at the ratings. Since it is a full time series and not just for a few weeks in December, the competition is a lot tougher. I will watch every week, but I don’t see the ratings turning around either.

11. CORY says:

to say that the ratings were high solely because of kutcher is stupid. everyone in their right mind could tell you the ratings would be huge but purely out of wanting to see how it would work and how they would explain charlie’s absense (death). c’mon people use your brain

12. lenny says:

Kutcher sucked I will not be tunning in anymore. Terible show now…, next week low low low ratings,

• carsol says:

I agree. who in their right mind would choose kutcher for the job? he was terrible, the writing was terrible for him and his acting was terrible, moping throughout the ep. walking around naked like he has a great body or something. The ratings will go down especially as the young boy(half men) has grown up so much and should have been replaced.

13. Esaul says:

Not like my viewership actually mattered nor counted toward the nearly twenty-eight million, but I don’t really watch Two And A Half Men to begin with, seen a few here and there on FX, and wanted to see how it would fair without Charlie Sheen. I suspect most tuned in for curiosity. The episodes I’ve seen of Two And A Half Men were funny because of Charlie Sheen. He made mistakes that were outside of the show that the company didn’t take action on until much later. Which was convenient for them.

I’m not a fan of Ashton Kutcher, he was okay in Friends With Benefits, which was why I tuned in to Two And A Half Men. He doesn’t have the comedic chops to last on this show, nor the timing that Sheen and Cryer had. I think this was a horrible mistake, and Two And A Half Men will suffer as a result.

14. Karen says:

Bring back Charlie! I watched, and it was just a mismash of alot of nothing. Hopefully it will make sense next week, but that’s all I’m giving it ! Feel sorry for the rest of the characters.

15. Potch says:

Personally I thought the show was funnier than it’s EVER been. I laughed and laughed and laughed. Loved it and will continue to watch.

• carsol says:

which show were you watching man? nothing funny about farting, nothing funny about running around naked the whole ep. jon cryer carried the show.kutcher was a wimp. you would expect that he would be commanding and captivate the audience but he was a disappointment. and the whole charlie running or being pushed in front of a train thing was over the top.

16. lariet50 says:

I watched both episodes of “How I Met Your Mother,” turned off the TV, then turned it back on to watch “2 Broke Girls.” That is how much I did not want to watch “Two and a Half Men.” Why does it have to be so tacky all the time?

17. Magically Suspicious says:

I haven’t watched the show for several seasons now. It just hasn’t been funny lately. I did tune in last night for the Ashton reveal and I found him VERY funny. I think he and John Cryer play off of each other very nicely. I’m excited to watch this show again for the first time in a long time.

18. Pose says:

I’ve watched the show since day one and I gave them a chance to keep me last night but it just sucked. Too much heavy lifting done by Jon Cryer, too much set up – Walden’s rich, Walden’s tall, Walden’s packing, girls love Walden…thou doth protest too much.

19. Ashley says:

I’ve never watched “Two and a Half Men” before but tuned in last night to see how they’d handle it. I’m glad I did, if only to see Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson reprise their roles of Dharma and Greg; I thought Ashton Kutcher did a fine job, but I have no desire to ever watch the show again. I hope “2 Broke Girls” retains the majority of their viewers when it moves to its regular time slot next week – I’m looking forward to a HIMYM/2BG comedy hour!

20. Kim says:

Why is this unfunny stupid show so freaking popular???

21. Dave Harbit says:

I like how some people on here just because they didn’t like it are stating that it will get low ratings next week just because they thought it sucked. Sorry not everyone in the world thinks the same as you. I have been on several different sites and the outcome seems to be more positive than negative and most of the negative stuff was from people who didn’t like the show to begin with but still checked it out. Sure next week is going to be lower than this week. Everyone knows that but I still think it will do well. I guess we will see.

22. Mikaylah says:

The Sing-Off is amazing. More people NEED to watch it. Way, way, better than Dancing with the Stars, and the judges are actually funny! And coherent!

23. april-ann says:

Good. I’m glad the ratings were so high. The more people who see how awful the show is without Charlie, the better.

24. Alex says:

Wow, good night for CBS….

25. Sivat says:

Worried about The Playboy Club. I really liked what I saw!

26. TheOtherYvonne says:

Meh, Two and a Half Men was okay, not my favorite. LOVED HIMYM and Two Broke Girls, will definitely watch that one again! I’m GLAD that The Sing Off did so poorly, NBC shouldn’t have messed with Chuck.

27. katrina says:

I turned into the last 10 min of men. I just cannot take ashton seriously. He is one of the worst actors out there. He has a big name wife thats the only reason he is relavant, The only reason there is huge ratings isbecause everyone wanted to see how charlie died. I predict this will be mens last season.
    I really enjoyed Playboys Club I hope it sticks around. And 2 broke girls was great also.

28. Victoria says:

Next week CBS will drop A LOT.

29. Sivat says:

2 Broke Girls was extremely crass and falls into the same “stupid humor” category of shows like Raising Hope. I won’t be watching again.

• lime says:

I loved 2 Broke Girls! I thought it was hilarious, and even my dad laughed quite a bit. And Raising Hope is amazing….too bad no one likes it. Oh just kidding, people LOVE it! It got renewed after only a few episodes last year. I guess it’s not your kind of humor.

30. Josh says:

Charlie Sheen is laid back and living the life, and more importantly has shown the world how important he was as an actor in 2 1/2.

Chuck Lorre on the other hand has severely diminished his own reputation both as a person and as a director…bring back charlie.

The show is just another show without Charlie Sheen.

31. allie D says:

Your headline: “Two and a Half Men Gets Very High [Ratings], Sans Sheen…” isn’t completely accurate. If Sheen had left Two and a Half Men without the … ahem … fanfare, would these ratings have been as high? I’m betting no.

32. brenda says:

I stopped watching two and a half men half way through the episode..suc&?d!

33. Gabi says:

I’ve watched the show since the beginning. I was dissapointed in last nights show. I was really hoping that it would be great, but I don’t think it was. Not sure if I’ll continue watching. I’ll have to see what happens next week.

34. Rex says:

CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAPPY IT’S BACK!

35. Rigby says:

In my opinion there hasn’t been a good sitcom on TV since Seinfeld (minus that God-awful finale) and Friends (minus most of that ridiculously never-ending Ross/Rachel drama)so, while I didn’t see 2.5 Men, I do hope it does well without Charlie. That would be a very big lesson learned for him.

36. dan says:

I did not get to watch but I’m a huge fan of the show, I own all seasons of it. Those who say this show is not funny, have no sense of humor, PERIOD!!! The one liners on this show are as funny as any show you can throw up on the board. Yes, it has “sex” inundos, but they are hilarious. Good luck ashton!!

37. DryedMangoez says:

Inside Schwartz? Now that’s the show you need to add… “And we all know how THAT turned out.”
    lol

38. trina says:

Men was horrible! It wasn’t funny, the chemistry was off and Kutcher was terrible – he has no sense of comic timing. The premiere was obviously meant as a personal (and highly unprofessional) jab at Charlie Sheen that fell flat and ended up being a grave disservice to the cast and the history of a show we used to love.

I’m done with Men and I think Chuck Lorre is a fool and a wimp. Lorre was making cracks about Charlie Sheen via his vanity cards long before Sheen started making potshots at him proving Lorre can dish it out but he can’t take it. And then to kill Sheen’s character, replace him with a nobody like Kutcher and destroy the chemistry amongst the cast all to get even because Sheen said things about him that he didn’t like? Lorre is pathetic! No one really likes their boss and no American would throw away millions of dollars just because someone is bad mouthing them. Lorre is an ingrate and Men is now unwatchable. Next Monday at 9pm my DVR will be set to record “House” and “Hart of Dixie”. Goodbye Men!

• kate says:

Yeah. Hart of Dixie won’t be crappy at alllll.

• Skye says:

You nailed it! Watching men was very painful and I felt really embarrassed for Lorre. That he would risk ruining the show by stooping this low just to get back at Sheen is petty and insulting to viewers. There was no chemistry between Kutcher and the cast, there was nothing funny about his moping and please Lorre, do not ever let Kutcher run around naked on the show again!!! It was not appealing or funny:(((

39. Ms. Jill says:

Ashton’s character couldn’t have been more weird. It’s like he took notes from the kid on how to act. They both had that quirky half grin on their face like they are fighting to stay in character. And if I had to endure one more gay moment of a naked Ashton hugging Jon Cryer….poor Jon! I bet there was a writer or two he would have liked to have a sit down with! Really, you have to potray him as weak enough that he can only console a dude! Ashton this is not the 70’s show…..you were so brain dead in your new character how could you possibly be able to negotiate a 1.3 billion dollar deal with Microsoft….Really we were supposed to swallow that little jagged pill. My thoughts are that Charlie Sheen was sitting at home in the best chair in the living room – remote control in hand watching this plane go down in flames LAUGHING HIS ‘EFFIN ASS OFF! TIGER BLOOD MIGHT JUST PROVAIL!

40. Manuel says:

The script writers are a joke. They knew the whole world was going to be watching for the first time in a long time and the best thing they can come up with is the regular tacky use of Jake to deliver fart jokes.

I think they missed their big chance to start over and went straight to the regular trash they have written for 7 years. Im looking forward to the next week’s ratings.

41. Babygate says:

Enjoyed Two Broke Girls but it’s not a great show. I do like the concept. The blonde that comes across as a vapid narcissist is actually very smart and she can help the other girl with the business plan. I like that idea. I’ll continue to tune in for now. But hope it improves. I have to admit I laughed hard when the blonde tased the brunette.

42. Bob says:

Even next week’s ‘Part 2′ will probably do well. But let’s see what the ratings are like after episodes 3 or 4 or 5. Based on last night, they still have some tinkering to do.

43. balls says:

charlie will be back. they left it open by not showing the body. he died in another country and rose is the only one that knows what happened. when the show goes downhill, the season finale will be rose going out to some cabin somewhere with charlie locked inside.

44. Linda says:

This was a disgusting show with Charlie Sheen. I don’t know how CBS allowed it to be shown during the 9:00 time slot. It belongs on the Playboy channel.

45. Rachel says:

SO HAPPY about the double dose of HIMYM last night, and 2 and half men was pretty funny, too. I don’t usually watch it, but like everyone else, I was wondering how it would go. Not bad!

46. Martina says:

updated numbers or not, everyone knows these numbers are fake.

47. Carlos Campos says:

No Charlie Sheen, No 2&1/2Men, Bye Bye program.

Ashton has no the charmy of Sheen

Bye, Bte WB, welcome Fox

48. Aidan Williams says:

I am so happy with the ratings for Two and a Half Mens 1st episode. It was so funny. This means more Seasons. Cant wait to see next weeks episode. Well Done Chuck Lorre you have pulled it off.

• Lea says:

Two and a half men was my favorite comedy show and I would like it to continue to be. first show was funny especially the funeral but I am not liking Ashton’s character too much as the shows continue. Seems like a wimp and simple minded. Needs to be more of a man or I feel I am watching the 70’s show. He looks great but I am not laughing that much! Sorry, I want it to work and defend it at the lunch table at work but…I am losing. Step it up writers!

49. Abul Azad says:

It was good but everybody will agree with me that without Charlie Sheen it isn’t fill. Other way I don’t want to judge but somebody is too immature for the role.

Sorry didn’t want hart anybodies filling.

50. Abul Azad says:

It was good…….. everybody will agree with me that Chuck is too smart so whatever he does it is something. But on the other hand Charlie was the GREAT catch for this role. I think somebody isn’t mature like Charlie.
    Sorry didn’t want to hurt anybodies fillings.