Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Sue Sylvester Will Face Off Against [Spoiler] in Her Run for Congress

Looks like Sue Sylvester will be picking on someone her own size — or at least in her own age group — during Glee‘s third season. When I spoke to exec producer Ryan Murphy in June, he noted that he was working on “an amazing 20-episode arc for Jane Lynch” that would partly focus on her character’s campaign for Congress, and now, TVLine has discovered that her political rival will also have ties to [WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD!] William McKinley High School.

Glee Exclusive: Kevin McHale on Artie’s Fresh
Role at McKinley and His ‘New’ Leading Ladies

Yes, folks, according to buzz circulating in Glee circles on Emmy day, Our Lady of Track Suits will be facing off against none other than Kurt’s dad, Burt Hummel (Mike O’Malley), in her race for office. That’s good news for fans of the always terrific O’Malley, who was nominated for the 2010 Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series on the strength of his portrayal of a gruff, widower dad grappling to embrace and support his high-maintenance gay teenage son. Pairing up O’Malley with Emmy winner Lynch opens up the possibility for some serious dramatic fireworks, while tethering Sue’s new story arc to the corridors of McKinley.

Glee Season 3 Scoop: Who’s Sweet on Sugar, the New Girl? Who Does She Make Sour?

Last spring, O’Malley was cast in the Fox pilot Family Album, but said he was still guaranteed six episodes on Season 3 of Glee. With the former show not having earned a spot on Fox’s schedule, and O’Malley now Sue’s Political Enemy No. 1, who’s hoping we see more Burt Hummel in Season 3? Sound off below, and to stay up to date on all the latest Glee news, follow TVLine on Twitter @TVLineNews.

1. . says:

Finally something that sounds good. Can’t wait.

Unless they go and make it all about Kurt and his rghts.

• Marcus says:

Yeah, damn those silly queers, wanting to be treated equally… Just who do they think they are, anonymous losers on the internet?!

• . says:

Marcus, I’m gay and I trust me, I want my rights. What I meant was that I don’t want it to be all about Kurt, and that is a way that they could make it all about him. One episode about gay rights would be fantastic, but I’ve had enough Kurt Hummel to last me a lifetime.

• Sivat says:

Wow, you’re suffering from a big case of internalized homophobia. No wonder your username is “by”.

• Bells says:

That’s out of line. I love Kurt and seeing his rights defended on television would be amazing, but attacking the sexual preference of someone who’s opinion might differ from your on a TV show is wrong and *gasp* a bit homophobic

• TayMads says:

Seriously? I don’t see how not wanting the storyline to be about Kurt makes someone homophobic. Kurt’s dad running for Congress SHOULD be about him and not his son. In no where in by,’s comment did they say anything about Kurt being gay and how they were tired of it. It would be nice of Burt to run for his son but it would also be nice if he did something for himself as well. That is all that person was implying. Just because you are tired of the Kurt character doesn’t mean you are tired of the fact that he is gay. It just means you are tired of seeing and hearing Kurt. I didn’t realize that the only quality about Kurt worth mentioning was the fact that he is gay. There is more to the character than just that.

• Flaw says:

The username is “.”, by its as in “Comment by”.

• David says:

“Intenalized homophobia”? Don’t talk nonsense. I’m also gay, I am not ashamed of being gay and I’d love nothing more than for every gay man and woman to have the same rights as everyone else. That is irrelevant to this discussion – I too got sick of the obsession with Kurt whining on and on and on last season. It gets to a point when enough is enough. I applaud Glee for what they’ve done with having a character like Kurt at the centre of a network television show but I really hope they scale Kurt and his dramas right back this season. Kurt’s Dad is a fantastic character in his own right and deserves a great story like this independent of Kurt’s angst.

• cmjaz says:

Yep. Typical response. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is automatically a ‘bad person’, biased, prejudiced, etc. I think that we’re all tired of Kurt’s ‘woe is me’ storyline. Let’s move along now to some of the other characters we love!

• Rock Golf says:

Okay, I know Glee requires some suspension of disbelief, but to expect that a mechanic with a heart problem that had to pass on his honeymoon to pay his kid’s tuition to a private school could suddenly afford to run a congressional campaign defies all concepts of reality.

• Heather E says:

I’m still trying to figure out how Kurt can afford Alexander McQueen on his dad’s salary….

• Lauren says:

I think this is all part of Glee’s major inconsistency issues with their writing. Kurt’s dad can pay for designer clothes for him and that lumped out car and let’s think about the shots of the new house that he bought for the whole family but he can’t afford Dalton??? What kind of tuition are we talking here, college level? Even then I have a hard time believing Burt couldn’t afford it unless he lost a lot of money on his shop while he was sick. Other people have to work there too though, right? Totally confusing. On a side note, he does OWN his shop. He doesn’t just work there. Running a mechanic shop if it’s got good clientele base is extremely lucrative. Unless they were just short on cash at that moment because they had just bought a house after him being out for so long… I don’t know. I wish they’d address these things but I don’t think it’s likely.

• dan says:

Hey Lauren…it’s a tv show! It’s not real! The kids break into song in the hallways, classrooms, locker rooms, bathrooms, along with the local mall and various retail shops yet nobody seems to notice. Suddenly a full orchestra with lighting and scenery appears as they sing. This isn’t reality. Don’t worry about how Burt Hummel can afford to pay for Kurt’s clothes or schooling…just accept that he manages somehow (don’t we all??). Just take the ride and try to enjoy it instead of analyzing it so much.

• Ree says:

Believe it or not, mechanics who own their own auto shops tend to make enough money. Especially if it’s likely one of the only auto shops in town.

• murley says:

plenty of elite private high schools cost as much as college tuition.

• dee says:

Do you watch any cop shows Lauren? Cause in real life a lot of cases don’t get solved….

• Lu says:

you know, it is whether you can suspend disbelief or not. Some cop shows do a better job at letting us get sucked into their fake world and allow for us to believe their reality.

Glee is consistently inconsistent. If you have to remind yourself “it is just a TV show” or “it’s not real”, they are not doing a good job on the writing. Immersion should be effortless on our part. The rules of their world shouldn’t change and should make sense to the viewer.

Besides, I thought it weird too. I really like Burt Hummel, but it is weird that he would run, – but maybe it will make sense once they run the show?- or not.

2. Nadakom says:

While I’m sorry his new show didn’t get picked up, I am happy to have more Burt Hummel on my TV screen. This is great news. Now, if we can just get a little less of Kurt. Or at least his whining. That would be icing on the cake.

3. Kendal says:

So much for more focus on the other characters.

• Zeena says:

As far as I know, Burt hasn’t had that much focus.

• dee says:

Yeah, with all of the people they’ve added (those stupid Glee Project kids, Idina Menzel, boy for Mercedes, girl from American Dreams, etc. etc. etc.) and now a major story arc for Burt Hummel, I’m having a hard time figuring out when they’ll find time for the actual CAST of the show.

Mind you, I LOVE Mike O’Malley. He’s the best thing on this show, practically. But good lord.

4. Melanie says:

Yay! More Mike O’Malley! This is going to be seriously cool, and will hopefully give us more of a glimpse into the Hummel-Hudson household! What an interesting development… If this is the kind of unexpected yet rational stuff the new writers are bringing to the season, I cannot wait to see what else they have in store!

5. RachelA says:

NEVER would have thought of this but I think it’s genius. I LOVE Burt and I’m always up for having more of him on Glee. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Please do it justice Ryan Murphy and Co.

6. Mike says:

O’Malley didn’t win that Emmy, Neil Patrick Harris did for Bryan Ryan.

7. Ella says:

o’Malley didn’t win….Neil Patrick Harris did

8. Patrick says:

Michael – Mr. O’Malley was nominated for an Emmy in 2010, but sadly, he didn’t win. He lost to Neil Patrick Harris who was also a Glee guest.

9. Elijah says:

Kinda off-topic, but…I do believe Neil Patrick Harris won the Emmy for the season Mike O’Malley was nominated.

10. simonew says:

Burt Hummel for Congress? Be right back – gotta register to vote in Ohio! BURT HUMMEL FOR ALL THE AWARDS!

11. rantmuch says:

Mike O’Malley did not win the 2010 Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series, he was only nominated. Neil Patrick Harris won that one, also from Glee. Just an FYI.

• fre says:

I was like I missed that news. He should have over NPH but sadly no.

• DapperDarren says:

I so agree with this. I love NPH, but O’Malley as Burt was and will always be way more impressive than NPH as Bryan Ryan. This year they majorly robbed Dot Marie Jones (Beiste) by letting Gwynenth Paltrow win.

12. Jim says:

Gee Rachel’s dads wouldn’t be peeved about Sue going after the Art of anything now would they?

I think these two will be awesome but if no other parent are involved it is going to be as stupid as none of the parent going to thier competitions.

13. Melissa says:

Where did he say that O’Malley won the Emmy?? “That’s good news for fans of the always terrific O’Malley, who was nominated for the 2010 Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series on the strength of his portrayal of a gruff, widower dad…”

14. gaby says:

Finn and Kurt better be the campaign managers. Kurt is going to get all power hungry and Finn is probably going to go “Cool, man” but it’s gonna be great to see those three wonderful actors in that storyline!

15. Cheyenne says:

I’m so excited! He’s my favorite TV dad ever!

16. Kari says:

Burt Hummel is one of the reasons I’m still bothering to watch the show (other reasons-pretty much everything Brittany) this is the best news for Glee I could have imagined. Although if Sue wins I will probably break something.

17. Sivat says:

I don’t care for Burt, but I like that they’re making use of an existing character rather than bringing on a big-name guest star. Now if only they could’ve been this creative when writing for Terri…

18. wordsmith says:

I love what they’ve done with Burt so far, but he seems like probably the least likely character to run for political office in the entire show. Hopefully the writing will justify this sudden burst of motivation for such a blue-collar, unassuming guy.

19. Ben says:

Once up on a time….Glee was a comedy.

20. Mindy says:

I can see Burt running against Sue if her platform is to remove all performing arts in school. He knows that Kurt feels like he fits in with the Glee club and Burt will protect that. They’ve shown that before with him which is why I love that character. I can’t wait to see it play out and if he takes down Sue a bit, even better.

21. Puckleberry says:

I think Burt Hummel is a well acted and well written characer, but I am not interested in this story. I have never been into the grown ups of the show. For me, it’s all about the Glee Club kids. The adults are relevant because they are part of the kids lives. That’s how I see it.

22. Old Gleezer says:

How about instead, Sue challenging a popular incumbent who could be played by a big-name guest star in a recurring role? Wouldn’t you rather see Sue throw down with someone more equal to her challenge? There is no real writing going on here.

23. Kristina says:

Yay! I think this will be a fun story, and it will be nice to see Sue up against someone who can hold his own with her (Schuester’s lame efforts aside, she pretty much bowls everyone in her way over).

24. Vanessa says:

I can’t wait for the episodes where the two guys who won the glee casting contest show up for their 7 shows start. They are amazingly talented, and even the girl who came in third is getting a 3 show spot that is a real life Rachel…

25. kelly says:

i am happy to see sue and burt go head to head they are both funny characters and they will surely bring tons of humor to the show. I am looking forward to seeing what the writers have come up with for season 3 especially with all the characters that will be “graduating” this year. I just hope the show doesn’t turn a main focus on kurt and gay rights. just some mention is needed, to keep the story line in tact from last year. i would like to see more of brittany’s crazy thinking in action, and santana trying to get all the men to herself. it makes the show lighter and funny and less heavy. this is a fun show!!