Emmys

Dexter's Jennifer Carpenter on 'Insane' New Season and the Deb/Dex Scene She's 'Scared' Of

“Insane” is how Jennifer Carpenter describes her new Dexter guest co-stars in our Emmy  red carpet interview below. But that word only begins to describe the scene she’s most looking forward to playing – the one in which Deb finally, finally finds out that her brother is a serial killer.

Dexter First Look: Check Out the Killer Season 6 Poster

Might it happen during the show’s upcoming sixth season (bowing Oct. 2)? Her answer is one click away…

Loading video...

Comments (64)

• Why oh why has the beautiful and talented Jennifer Carpenter never been nominated for Dexter? She’s consistently amazing on the show and still hasn’t gotten well-deserved recognition for it. I know some people love to hate Deb, but for me that just proves Carpenter’s talent and 100% commitment to the character because she grates on plenty of other characters within the Dexter universe as well! Love her, love her. And she looks gorgeous there, by the way.

Comment by DL – September 20, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I Agree ! She is overlooked by the Fans, because as an actress she Does Her job so well. In the character’s case We have to be more attentive. Because She truely does Excell.

I agree!

Comment by Dan – September 20, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree she does deserve a nomination!

Comment by Lee Wagner – September 20, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carpenter is THE best actor on the set. It’s HER acting that makes me cry in gut wrenching sobs. I love the entire cast, but she can really take me right into the moment like very few other actors ever have. Awesome talent…she deserves much more recognition, for sure!

Comment by Sheila O – September 20, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think she is the best on all of television right now.
        When I watch her, I believe everything she says and see the character, not the actor.

Comment by Alex G – September 20, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree, she is overlooked every year and she is great as Dexter’s sister, she certainly deserves some recognition!!

Comment by Carol – September 20, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t fathom why anyone would hate Deb in this show. I think she is way more developed as a character than she ever was in the books. She doesn’t rely on Dexter for ever single lead she gets. Also, she stays real to the book by bringing her incredible trash mouth to life and the love for her brother! Dexter can go another 5 seasons once they let Deb discover his true identity as in the books!

Comment by jc mendez – September 21, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhm?!? Because she is the most annoying actress ever. Her character so irritating and childish.

Comment by Me – April 15, 2012 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her so much! What a cool chick. Dexter is the best show on TV, I hope they go for 20 seasons!

Comment by Angel – September 20, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg! I can’t wait to see this upcoming new season of Dexter!!! You guys are driving me insane with the sneak previews & interviews lol…I just want the show to start already! I’m also hoping that this will not be the last season!

Comment by Dawn – September 20, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i luvvvvvvv Deb!!!!!!!!!! <3

Comment by diany – September 20, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She always sounds on the verge of tears to me. Anyways, didn’t know Mos Def was in the mix, this is gonna be sweet.

Comment by jPizzle – September 20, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Dexter! And Jennifer C. is really awesome. I totally dig her character. What a badass!

Comment by soto – September 20, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like she got implants

Comment by john – September 20, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • constructive comment fail.

Comment by doofus – September 21, 2011 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe so, but I thought the exact same thing. Tasteful and fitting to her body type, but if she didn’t, then those are an engineering marvel of push up.

Comment by Matt – September 21, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope she doesn’t fall in love AGAIN this season.

Comment by Isaiah – September 20, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummmm…she was still with Quinn at the end of last season.

Comment by Buzz – September 20, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Deb’s character, she talks out of the side of her mouth like popeye, give her some spinach and shut that side of her mouth that she uses up. Such a boring, drawn out character, I want Misuka to try and follow in Dexter’s footsteps a bit, I’m excited about the new season , just not Deborah

Comment by Chris – September 20, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are soo right about the talking out of the side of her mouth. Popeye, heehee. I hated her the 1st season but she has really grown on me.

Comment by denise – September 20, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her character could be so much better. The F word just is not believable coming out of her mouth so much. She doesn’t sell it.
    I personally love the show more than anything ever on tv..but wish she wasn’t in it. I don’t find her to be a good actress at all.
    Can NOT wait for the new season and hope it’s not the last.

Comment by duffster – September 20, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her character is perfect for a girl that grew up with a serial killer. I cannot imagine any other personality for her. If she was different, it would not be believable for her & Dexter to be so close. Her character would have long ago moved to Boston, married a Doctor, have 2.25 kids, a golden lab, and a Mercedes.

Comment by John Z – September 21, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t agree more. She does NOT do her job well. Her voice is boring and during the show, I wish she would just STOP trying to be so tough. She doesn’t cut it.
    DO DEXTER!!! BEST SHOW EVER!!

Comment by josh – September 20, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Josh- concerning your comment re Jennifer Carpenter ‘trying to be so tough’- you are obviously unaware of this, but every production has a production team..and among them is someone called a director- he/she says how the actors should come over- how they should ACT, in fact- it isn’t something that the actor just’does’ however they feel like it should be done….they are given a brief describing the character, their motivation for the actions they will perform, etc. Nothing is done off the top of anybody’s head, and left in as opposed to being edited out..Mike Leigh plays excepted, most scenes are scripted, and acted according to script.So, watch and learn, grasshopper…

Comment by TRUDI GRAY – December 28, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deborah Morgan, Jennifer Carpenter – is so HOT! Great at the part and makes the show. Thank you Jennifer!! Woo-Hoo!

Comment by Matt – September 20, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ditto, she is fantastic & should be paid twice then what she’s getting ;)

Comment by John Clement – September 20, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How in the heck u gonna call cursing,screaming, sexin almost everyone on a show great actung. Give me a breal . I like Carp,,but she isnt Emmy Worthy.

Comment by marcelius – September 20, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like her character, but the F word flying around constantly during the show is irritating. Not at all necessary and detracts from the show and her character. I don’t care how “tough” she is, the F word doesn’t make her any tougher.

Comment by Mert – September 21, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn’t mean hearing something you hate to hear doesn’t suck. Deb’s character is played so well. Especially in that scene where she was crying over Lundy. That made me cry. There is nothing that is not believable about her character. She is an amazing actress, and I hope that I get to see her in more movies. Deb has been my favorite character for a long time (along with the beloved Dexter, of course) they make a great show together.

Comment by heidi – September 20, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was not a big fan of Deb until that scene when she cried over Lundy. That was Emmy worthy.

Comment by Jen – September 20, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jen: I couldn’t agree more – that moment crying over Lundy is what should have gotten her an Emmy nomination!

MCH left Jennifer for Julia??? Really.

Comment by Shelly – September 20, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Deb finds out Dexter is the serial killer of serial killers will she be able to take him in? Will she be so angry that she tries to kill him and would she be able to? Would Dexter have to kill his sister to keep his secret or would he try to coerce her into becoming like him? Or would they end up killer each other in the last episode of the series? These are some of the questions I have and the answers would make a exciting fitting end to the show.

Comment by JoeJoe – September 20, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the yin and yang of dexter and deb is the backbone of the show, and I think she is extremely talented. It takes a great actress to be vulnerable, beautiful, and tough.

Comment by scott – September 20, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter is such a great show for so many reasons. Its the one show ive ever actually been able to watch and not miss an episode. Dexter is an amazing actor where Debra is just as good but how can someone point a finger and say its horribal acting for her to be “playing a part” its in her script and i think she does one hell of a job the only one who sucked at making something believeable was Julia Stiles. Cant wait for october! my favorite time of year!!!! <3<3<3

Comment by theoneandonly – September 20, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dexter is the best show on T.V. Bar None, I loved him in Six Feet Under
      He never disappoints, he deserves an Emmy every Year, and I love Deb, and the whole cast!!!Can’t wait for this season I am counting the days!!!

Comment by Carol – September 20, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never, ever thought I would care for a tv show about a serial killer, or for the serial killer himself. I am hooked! I cannot wait to see what’s in store for Dexter Morgan. The teasers, promos, spoilers have me going insane! I find Michael C. Hall’s performance absolutely riveting. I’ve watched my DVDs over and over again and I need new episodes!

Comment by Dexterina – September 20, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she wasn’t able to nab a nomination for Supporting Actress via her fifth season performance, I fear the Academy will never recognize her. As weak as Season 5 was, her scenes made me forget.

Comment by D – September 20, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta love ♥ Dexter!! cant wait to watch season 6.. this show is always full of surprises…. Jennifer Carpenter is a great actress playing the favorite serial killer’s sister!

Comment by alma – September 20, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot fricking stand Deb. She drives me crazy!

Comment by Carrie – September 20, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE “DEXTER” NOVELS – TVL
    I guess no one reads. Deb found out about Dex in the first novel, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I like the show better – LaGuerra lives, Misuka is MUCH more interesting, Doakes was SOOO much better in the show – But Deb is supposed to be blonde, buxom and exceptionally smart. She figured out Dexter 2/3rds of the way through the book and has been dealing with the moral repurcussions of using a killer to catch killers. Deb is a much better character in the book.

Comment by Batista – September 20, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Dex! Its one od the ONLY great shows worth watching these days!

Comment by judi – September 20, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb is the easily the worst thing about Dexter. What a terrible character.

Comment by eschaton – September 20, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love love love Debra. I love her hardass attitude and her contribution to the show. Best thing about her is that although she’s a great actress, she doesn’t let the fame get to her; she seems really down to earth. Love her!

Comment by Gaby C – September 20, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping she winds up on the table this year. She must have loved Rita’s character because when she was there, Deb wasn’t the worst, but now she is. The book has a much better approach, they didn’t kill off Doakes or Dex’s brother Brian, which gives so many more story lines.

Comment by pat – September 20, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can people talk bad about Deb I lover her she does a great job. Dexter please come back fast lol Deb+++++++++++ you are great

Comment by #1 – September 20, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody realize she has to go to work everyday and face her ex-husband, a guy who left her for last season’s guest star…

Comment by essequemodeia – September 20, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is a great actress. Don’t think I could do it without wanting to slap him in every scene. Julia Stiles is not even pretty and sucks is boring in every role she has ever done. I read that about a month ago she was seen in an airport breaking into tears after a phone call. I hope it was Michael C. Hall telling her he is dropping her for his Season 6 costar.

Comment by Lois – September 20, 2011 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for agreeing! I just remembered that I acted that way when I really cried over something. :D

Comment by Heidi – September 20, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone that says jennifer isn’t a great actress doesn’t know what they are talking about. Check her interview she doesn’t talk or act anything like her character on Dexter. I lnow someone that acts and cusses like she does. And yes she ll let f bombs fly.

Comment by jm – September 20, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should have killed deb not rita I miss rita

Comment by daphne randolph – September 20, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sooooo agree!! You’ve got ppl like McCarthy winning it from Mike & Molly. Granted,it’s a watchable show (because of Mike & his Mum & Carl) but COME ON!!! Especially after all Jennifer & Michael went through in their personal lives… It sucks….Deb DESERVES it!!

Comment by Laurence – September 20, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We live in a fee society where everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but anyone who doesn’t think J.C is amazing in every way needs to be educated. You’re all STUPID!!!!

Comment by Jessica – September 20, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all it’s the writers who make Deb the way she is. The rest is J.C’s ‘acting.

Comment by Jessica – September 20, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Dexter to start again. I like Debra and think Masuka is hilarious. When they have scenes together it it even more hilarious.

Comment by Stephanie – September 20, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she looked really good at the emmys…was suprised..Mos Def..looking forward to seeing him for sure

Comment by jason – September 20, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She seems so down to earth and appreciative of her job, it’s really charming. I don’t particularly like Deb, as a character I find her personality annoying, but I like Jennifer Carpenter, which made me have a little more respect for her acting.

Comment by Noellen – September 20, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t waaaiiiit! And I totally agree with you guys, Jennifer deserves an Emmy.

Comment by Brigette – September 20, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb is a great character and Jennifer Carpenter is expertly convincing in the role. I find Deb’s potty mouth to be hilarious and I love love love that fact that she is a good cop.

Comment by Joanne – September 20, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanna know how she works with her ex-husband. Was that difficult. They just went through a divorce. Now that’s acting.

Comment by PhillyChitChat – September 20, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is a great actor thats for sure! And wow she is so damned hot. Hey Michael you had her but you dissed her, can ‘ t believe it man. JC call me :-)

Comment by crispy chris – September 21, 2011 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they had split up 5 months before season 5 was shot apparently so hopefully this season the awkwardness will be over with. pretty sad to see people with nasty and spiteful comments on MCH and what has happened between them without knowing the facts, and even so why care its a tv show and they are actors.

I do like the job she does but to say she is the best actor on the set is absolutely insane.

I agree with the comment about when she meets Dex in the parking lot and cried over Lundy, that was her finest piece of acting in the whole of Dexter and completely convincing, and agreed that scene would have won an emmy from me. I welled up a little, also because Lundy was also an awesome character.

Another character that has grown on me is Quinn, I think last season he came into his own and actually thinking about it has always been interesting from his first scene but solidified his presence with the Liddy arc.

Season 6 as i have always said will be mind blowing. EJOlmos vs MCH will be classic tv!

Comment by DexRules – September 21, 2011 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • O.m.G.Debb rocks i love this chick.

Comment by Annette – September 21, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree a 100% that show wouldn’t be the success it is without her!

Comment by Danny Mercado – September 22, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just love love love this show. We tape every show so we can watch it again and again just in case we missed something. We even have Dexter night get togethers and leave time to discuss the show and where we think it will go next. Jennifer/Deb is a great actress and I totally agree with others about the Lundy secne. We were all dabbing our eyes and were forced to remember “its only a movie”. She is that good. I hope she reads all of these posts so she knows how many fans she has. Lets hear a nomination for her. Not forgetting MCH here, as he portrays another great character. Loved him in Six Feet Under as well. Horay for a great show.

Comment by Marilyn – September 23, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post