Fall TV Preview

The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Monday

Coming to your TV screen this week are no less than 60 season and series premieres — that’s right, this is the time to change the oil in your DVR and the batteries in the clicker — so we’re changing things up a bit by going daily with The TVLine-Up. (For those who must plan ahead, here is our complete Fall TV premieres calendar, plus I’ll be summarizing what’s coming up the following day.)

But for now, here’s what’s happening on….

8/7c Dancing With the Stars (ABC) |
Season 13 kicks off with 12 new (varying degrees of) celebrities taking to the parquet. Here is how TVLine readers ranked the contenders, from “Thanks for stopping by!” to “Start thinking about where you’ll keep that ghastly trophy.”

8 pm The Sing-Off (NBC) | Like DWTS, this reality competition will also run two hours every Monday night. Nick Lachey will once again serve as host, while this year’s panel of judges will be populated by Sara Bareilles, Ben Folds and Shawn Stockman. Check out the 16 groups in contention.

8 pm How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | The new season launches with back-to-back episodes featuring a funky wedding and a sexy dance number (watch video). Get caught up on TVLine’s legendary amounts of scoop.

8 pm Hell’s Kitchen (Fox) | To make room for all of the fall debuts, some shows have to go bye-bye — as this cooking thing does with its two-hour Season 9 finale.

8 pm Eureka (Syfy) | The penultimate season’s finale features the Astraeus mission launch and the arrival of a new out-of-this-world threat to this Northwest burg.

9 pm Two and a Half Men (CBS) | Sheen out, Kutcher in — this we knew. But tonight, see how the swap happens. (Let’s just hope it doesn’t disrupt the show’s complex mythology too much.)

9:30 pm 2 Broke Girls (CBS) | This well-reviewed new sitcom, starring Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs, is getting a very special premiere here, leading out of Men. (It will normally air Mondays at 8:30.) Read my First Impression preview.

10 pm Castle (ABC) | The season of “explosive” secrets begins now. In case you missed it over the weekend, here’s a piece I did with that jokester Nathan Fillion; check TVLine after the premiere’s West Coast airing for a special something to help lift your jaw off the floor.

10 pm Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) | McGarrett’s in jail, but have no fear: John Locke (aka new cast member Terry O’Quinn) may hold the key to his freedom, as Steve’s Navy SEAL mentor. Watch the trailer here.

10 pm The Playboy Club (NBC) | Since offering my First Impression of this ’60s-set series, the pilot’s undergone some changes — largely for the better, I’d say, though I do miss the original, “Ewwww” version of the opening death scene. One thing that hasn’t changed: Tony winner Laura Benanti, as “mother bunny” Carol-Lynne, owns every damn scene she is in.

10 pm Roast of Charlie Sheen (Comedy Central) | Because not one joke has been made about the guy in the preceding eight months, right?

10 pm Fashion Police: The Primetime Emmy Awards (E!) | As long as Nina Dobrev is crowned Best Dressed, it’s all good.

Coming up on Tuesday: NCIS, Glee, The Biggest Loser…. NCIS: Los Angeles, New Girl (Fox), Raising Hope…. Body of Proof and Unforgettable (CBS).

1. scooterbeanbag says:

I hope “Two and a Half Men” flops with Ashton. I never really watched the show with Charlie, but I can’t stand Ashton’s arrogance about taking over. JC should have morphed into the lead, not talentless Ashton Kutcher.

• Gretchen says:

Berta should have been left the house. Imagine Alan having to come to grips with being at her mercy!

I won’t be watching it. Ashton irks me and the premise (internet billionaire wanting to live with a divorced dad and teen son) is just plain creepy!

2. Jenny says:

Thank you so much for doing this daily this week. With all of my classes I haven’t had a chance to plan out what shows I’m going to watch live. This is a huge help! Thanks TVLine! You guys are awesome!

3. Kelli says:

Thrilled that Hawaii Five 0 is returning. The trailer looks great and I’m excited for another fantastic season of the show.

4. Gerald says:

2 Broke Girls, How I met your mother and I might check out The Playboy Club…. I don’t know I might end up liking it.

5. Kate says:

It’s all about Castle tonight! :-)

6. Sg. Grant says:

With all the network returns, don’t forget Warehouse 13 and Alphas.

It is going to take me a couple days to watch all the stuff I am DVRing tonight.

7. Linda says:

HIMYM and Castle. And uh yeah. Warehouse 13

8. maria says:

I love Two and a Half Men…and will give it a chance, but it will probably flop without Charlie Sheen. So long to one of my favorite shows…

• Linda says:

I wish John Stamos would have taken the job. I’m keeping my mind open because I like all the characters of the show … I hope it continues to be about all of them, and not just narrow in on Kucher… that would ruin the dynamics of the show

9. Andrea says:

I’m just ready to get the new season really moving. The TiVo is programmed with 3 Broke Girls, Castle, and H50.

10. Mikaylah says:

I’ll be watching the most powerful night on TV on Syfy! Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas (which actually, I’ll probably record). Also, Castle and Hawaii Five-0. :)

11. Templar says:

I’ll skip Dancing With the Granola Bars [what isn’t fruits and nuts is flakes], may catch the first half of Sing Off. Def going to check out 2& 1/2 just to understand the transition. Then Castle as the highlight of the night.

12. SK says:

I’m mainly just excited about How I Met Your Mother! But I will probably keep the channel on CBS through Two and a Half Men and 2 Broke Girls just to check them out. I’ll DVR Castle for tomorrow.

13. Lisa says:

Matt, thanks for the list and I hate to nitpick, but it should be Monday, September 19th, not the 18th.

14. Janell says:

So excited for Castle tonight!!!

15. AT says:

Hawaii-Five-O for me. Nothing else really interests me. It sounds like it’s going to be a good season opener.

16. lolo says:

i’ve been counting the days till castle premieres , and here we are … i have a feeling this season’s gonna be EPIC .

17. Boiler says:

Some good ones but c’mon: DWTS,Playboy Club,Hell’s Kitchen, Sing Off?? Lets quit dumbing down the US

18. Tim says:

Castle, Hawaii Five-0, and HIMYM for me. I’ll DVR Men but it’s more for the “let’s see how this works” appeal than any desire to actually watch the show.

19. Heather says:

I am bursting over How I Met Your Mother!!!! Can’t WAIT! I think i may even stay tuned in to Two and a Half Men just to see them introduce Ashton, but if it gets too ridiculous over to SyFy – gotta enjoy Eureka while it lasts!!!!! (Dear Syfy, if you cancel Warehouse 13 I am boycotting you on the premise that the only Science Fiction show left on your channel will be Alphas. -Me)

20. Amy says:

No Two and a Half Men for me. You know we will be flooded tomorrow with the recaps of the show anyway, and not interested in seeing Alan Harper (Jon Cryer) without his brother Charlie (Charlie Sheen). I will however, watch Charlie on the Comedy Central Roast tonight. Looked at the previews and it looks hilarious. Will miss Charlie Sheen on “Men” The show simply will never be the same without him.

21. PPPG says:

oh brother is my DVR getting a workout tonight:

Live: CBS – HIMYM → 2½ Men (I admit it – I’m curious!) & ABC – Castle
    DVR: Hawaii Five-O late night showing of SyFy – Eureka → Alpha
    Computer DVR: Playboy Club (blast that curiosity again! Now I want to see what all the hub-bub is about. I’m doubting I’ll like it, though)

22. Richard says:

I have “The Strange History of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”, airing on HBO, ready to record at midnight.

23. canthardlyreadit says:

HIMYM and Hawaii FIVE-0. Everything else is just time filler!

24. Sg. Grant says:

Is there a new episode of Weeds tonight?

25. Sharon says:

DWTS really? That’s worth watching?

26. Ashley says:

Live: How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, 2 Broke Girls, and Fashion Police

DVR: Castle

On Demand: Hawaii 5-0 (although I’ll be watching it live most of the time)

27. Lauren says:

I got the most excited when I read that Raising Hope was on tomorrow!! I didn’t realize how much I’d missed it. I hope it’s as good as the first season.
    For tonight, I’m going to watch HIMYM and check out 2 Broke Girls then watch Castle. Might check out 2.5 men if I get bored, even though I have never watched it I would like to see Charlie Sheen’s funeral.