Dancing With the Stars Season Premiere: Most Pleasant Surprise? And Who's Going Home?

Like the collected sequins on Carson Kressley’s jacket, scarf, and shoes, the 12 glittering couples of Dancing With the Stars‘ 13th season came together Monday night in a display of dance that was occasionally exciting, sometimes garish, and decidedly difficult to ignore. Chaz Bono worked up a serious sweat. Hope Solo questioned the quality of Maksim Chmerkovskiy’s biceps. (Blasphemy!) And Nancy Grace brought out her twins in a quest for mirrorball glory.

I’ll post a full episode recap Tuesday morning right here at TVLine.com, but until then, I’m curious which couple you think provided the most pleasant surprise with their Week 1 performance (for me, it was Chynna and the usually tepid Tony), and which couple you think is headed home on Tuesday’s results-show telecast (Sorry, Elisabetta, tough year for you!). Take our polls on both subjects below, then hit the comments to explain your picks. And for all my reality TV news, commentary, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. TJ says:

You wrote Cynna instead of Chynna!

2. jake says:

I thought chynna was a standout — so was david arquette — who didn’t deserve the low scores that everyone seemed to be getting.

3. Jeana says:

they all did pretty well however to me Carson brought the house down.
    Val and his partner likely will be leaving.

4. Jeana says:

There is one thing I do have to say about this group , None of them danced horrible being the first night. For usually there is always one each season that does and the same cannot be said with this group.

5. marc seida says:

KRISTIN was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. irene says:

I liked Kristin, Chynna and Hope Solo, but my vote goes definitely DAVID! Oustanding!

7. GG says:

The most pleasant surprise for me was J.R. Martinez. I had never heard of him before this show, and when I found out about his disfigurement, I was afraid he would get sympathy votes without being a good dancer. But he was amazing. I’m looking forward to watching him this season. I also thought Chynna did really well. I predict that Ron, Nancy, and Carson will be the first 3 to go.

• Denise says:

Those who watch AMC have known about JR Martinez for a few years now. I though he did a wonderful job too. He’s an amazing character and man and I beleive an American hero — just like all our men and women in uniform.

I hope he goes along way!

8. GS says:

Ron, Nancy, and Clooney’s ex were the worst by far and hope it’s one of than to go. No ringer which is a nice change! Really enjoyed JR, Chynna, David, Carson, and Chaz. And I have to say Nancy trotting out the twins was grosses me out. She’s old enough to bs their grandmother and will be really old before they even get out of school. A Selfish cow is what she is!

• Really? says:

I don’t care for Nancy either but those comments are just uncalled for. Unless of course you live a prefect life and do nothing that “grosses” people out. If you don’t have something nice to say then keep your mouth shut!