Fall TV Preview

Community Scoop: [Spoiler] Moves In With New Roomies Troy and Abed!

TVLine has learned that Community‘s Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed (Danny Pudi) aren’t the only study buddies shacking up in Season 3. Another member of the Greendale gang is moving in with the bromancers early in the school year, and it’s not who you might expect. (No, it’s not the perpetually homeless Chang.)

“Everyone knows that Troy and Abed are moving in together,” showrunner Dan Harmon tells us, “But at some point after that, Annie actually moves in, too.”

Exclusive: Community Casts Deadwood Actor 12 Years Chevy Chase’s Junior as Pierce’s Dad

So, Annie (Alison Brie) — who will also have her hands full with potential beau Jeff Winger — is ditching her digs on the wrong side of town to live with her “Han Solo” and her high school crush. Unfortunately, it’s not smooth sailing for the trio.

“Annie and Abed are going to have their scrapes and bruises with each other now that they’ll be cohabitating,” Harmon teases. Yet surprisingly, it sounds like the sometimes overbearing Annie is not solely at fault for the tension.

Community‘s John Goodman Has Dean Pelton’s ‘Privates In a Vice’! Will Jeff Defend His Foe?

Harmon notes that while for two years it’s been easy to portray “Abed as the cool guy in the group,” that’s all about to change. “I want to explore why it’s hard to be Abed sometimes — and also why it’s hard for other people to be around Abed sometimes, as well.

“He gets all the power most of the time because he’s my secret favorite, and it’s been so easy up until now to show that,” continues Harmon with a laugh. “But that’s not really fair, so I want to bring that element in.”

NBC’s Community kicks off its third season this Thursday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c.

Comments (17)

• Normally I’d be a bit concerned, seeing that I’m definitely rooting for Jeff and Annie; but Dan Harmon’s more than earned the trust of the viewers and I’ll follow him on whatever storylines he thinks will be entertaining.

Comment by Ashley – September 19, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re rooting for a particular couple then you obviously don’t get the show. The whole point is to be a satire on shows that have that will they/won’t they dynamic.

Comment by Phil – September 19, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t say that’s the whole point. Just like many other shows Community has a will they/won’t they dynamic between characters. It may be played up for laughs occasionally (see Paradigms of Human Memory “Gravity” montage), but it doesn’t mean it’s not actually there. Whether it’s partially to draw viewers is a whole different story, but Dan Harmon has spoken at length about the couplings on the show and I’ve never personally gotten the sense that it was all a big joke to him. To say someone doesn’t “get” the show because they root for a couple on it is unfair to them and shippers everywhere who are just as big of fans as you or I.
        That’s not to say that some people don’t take their TV ships way too seriously sometimes, or that Community’s romantic pairings are central to the show, I just disagree with the fact that in the sense that you seem to be describing, Community’s will they/won’t they dynamics don’t actually exist.

Comment by Dude – September 19, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That was really well said Dude – I completely agree. It’s absolutely true that some shippers can go overboard with their fandom, but there are a lot of viewers out there who love Community for the type of show that it is (satire and all) but are still interested in the romantic/platonic relationships of the characters. I love the Jeff/Annie dynamic and would certainly like seeing that develop further, but I would never want it to over-take the show.

Comment by Stephanie – October 26, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ease up turbo. Shippers help one of your favorite shows stay on the air, so maybe downplay the judgement.

Comment by Megan – September 19, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A sitcom can’t be all about satire and jokes, even Community: what makes it interesting is the characters and their relationship (romantic or platonic) with each other.

I don’t think they’ll go with the will they/won’t they (we’ve seen what they did with Jeff/Britta), but romance is happening and WILL happen in this show (in a non-cheesy way) otherwise you don’t feel attached to those characters.

Comment by Anne-Marie – September 19, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about a britta story line, harmon?

Comment by DG – September 19, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or a Shirley story line. Man, she’s not mentioned in any of these spoilers at all.

Comment by giggles – September 21, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessssss. It’s like my greatest dreams come true.

Comment by Heather – September 19, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This storyline is getting me MORE excited for Community. God, I cant take the wait anymore! Thursday, come already!

Comment by Raksha – September 19, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG best news eveeeer…love them <3

Comment by Comnie – September 19, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! My favorite scene last year was the Accounting for Lawyers Annie/Troy/Abed chloroform scene. They have unbelievable great comedy chemistry. They look like they have so much fun together. I can’t wait! :D Thank you, my excitement has reached an all new high for the 3rd season. This is like three’s company but with 2 guys instead of 2 girls. I can’t wait for Abed to make those references.

Comment by Megan – September 19, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this idea! I’ve always wanted more Troy and Abed and throwing Annie in the mix is perfect. So many storylines will spin off from this.

Comment by LC – September 19, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds great…I love Troy/Abed and Annie. I do hope they have some focus on Troy and Annie as well though.

Comment by wingster55 – September 19, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annie has great chemistry with every character on the show. So I’m sure this will be plenty entertaining.

Comment by Lily – September 19, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Britta would have been my first guess not Chang, but Annie works just as well. Troy and Abed becoming roomies will be hillarious and adding a 3rd person into the mix will make it just that more interesting.

Comment by lacey – September 19, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh i miss Community so much! and this news has made me even, if possible, more excited!! CAN’T WAIT FOR THURSDAY!!

Comment by Amy – September 19, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post