Emmys

Burning Emmy Questions: Kyle Chandler's Lost Speech, Comedy Actress Pageantry and More!

The 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards are history, but, as per usual, the three-hour ceremony left us with more than a few burning questions. Here’s the scoop on some of the evening’s biggest mysteries.

After accepting his trophy for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series, Friday Night Lights champ Kyle Chandler raced back to the mic, but his audio had already been cut off. What did he say?
“I was thanking my TV wife, Connie Britton,” Chandler told TVLine at the Governors Ball later that night. “It takes two to dance, and she was the other partner. I also thanked my [real-life] wife and my children.”

Emmys 2011: The 5 Best and Worst Moments

Will FNL‘s big night at the Emmys boost the chances of the feature film getting made?
“Absolutely, I think it could help,” said exec producer Jason Katims shortly after scoring gold for penning the show’s series finale. “To me, the thing that was most moving about tonight was just hearing the audience’s response [to the wins]. It tells me people are still passionate about the show and, even though it’ll take us a little while to get a movie out, they will still remember it. I would really love to do it. And I know [fellow exec producer] Peter Berg would love to do it.” Katims added that he’s currently “breaking the story” for the movie. “I’m back in the world of Dillon, Texas,” he said. “But until I have an actual script, nothing can happen.”

Emmys 2011: Backstage Scoop From the Winners!

Whose idea was it to turn the Best Comedy Actress sequence into a mock beauty pageant?
The genius stunt was the brainchild of nominee Amy Poehler, who took inspiration from a classic Tim Conway/Harvey Korman/Chevy Chase Emmy bit that similarly involved the trio standing up when their names were announced. “I always want to try to organize the ladies in my category to do stuff, but I never want to push it, because I tend to be a little pushy,” Poehler explained to TVLine after the ceremony. “And then weirdly a couple of days ago at a dinner with some friends who are also friends of Martha Plimpton, we started talking about how cool the ladies in our category are and how ‘Who cares who wins?’ And then Martha said, ‘I’m down with whatever.’” So we started brainstorming and came up with the Miss America idea. And then we found out Rob Lowe was presenting our category – jackpot! I feel like I’m in a Miss America pageant when I’m with him. And then we just contacted all the ladies and immediately everyone was on board. All the emails I got were like, ‘I’ll do whatever you want. I don’t care.’ What a good group of broads.”

Emmys 2011: The Ratings Are In!

Where was Supporting Actress in a Drama Series nominee Michelle Forbes when her category was announced?
In the restroom! “I would run to the bathroom at the worst possible time,” the Killing star told TVLine with a laugh at HBO’s Emmy party. As it is, Forbes knew Margo Martindale was a lock to win. “That award was always Margo’s,” she said. “I want to be Margo when I grow up!”

What did Parks and Recreation‘s pseudo-jaded Aubrey Plaza think of the polarizing ceremony?
“It needed more Charlie Sheen,” she confided to TVLine at the Governors Ball. “And that’s my honest opinion. I wanted more Charlie.” (Additional reporting by Megan Masters)

Comments (25)

• Amy Poehlers stunt was hilarious. Loved Melissa McCarthy won. I don’t even watch her show, I just like her :)

Comment by Mick – September 19, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know wasn’t it! I’ve never seen her show but it was just fun and she felt sincere.

Comment by David – September 19, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am so glad to hear it confurmed that Poehler was the ringleader of that little stunt, it’s just more proof of her awesomeness. Also, if you don’t watch Parks & Rec but love amy Poehler you are seriously missing out on one of the greatest little shows on television.

Comment by Asha – September 19, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I couldn’t agree more – Amy Poehler is AMAZING.

Comment by djm – September 19, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wanted Poehler or Linney to win. I was a little bit upset that someone out of nowhere i predicted, won. Since Nick Offerman was not nominated this year (thanks to the guys from Modern Family) I was rooting for Amy all the way.
      But, Melissa’s humble and suprised win, the posture she held, her face…you could tell that she feels like it was a great HONOR. I don’t even know about her show, yet I feel SO happy for her. LOVER HER PERSONALITY. As always, thank you Amy for your ideas.

2 years ago, Amy had an idea of wearing glasses when someone’s name was nominated? (the year Kristin Chenoweth from Pushing Daisies won). ROOTING FOR YOU and PARKS next year!

Comment by Matt G – September 20, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to NCIS?

Comment by V515 – September 19, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who cares?

Comment by taelor – September 19, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NCIS stands for Nomination Chance Is Snowball-in-hell.

Comment by Rock Golf – September 19, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa McCarthy’s win came out of no where, but I loved it! I’ve loved her forever!

Comment by Kristen – September 19, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was such an awww shucks moment to see Kyle Chandler win an award for a character renowned for his epic, inspirational speeches be completely taken aback by having to make a speech on his biggest night.
    Bless.

Comment by alex – September 19, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved it!! What was also great was the excitement of “Charlie’s Angels” stars screaming “KYLE CHANDLER”!!! Of course, Minka Kelly was on FNL the first few seasons. I could tell that he remembered he didn’t thank Connie Britton, then tried to go back to the mic, but it was too late.

Comment by G-Mom – September 19, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That stunt (as well as the one a couple of years ago) proved that Amy Poehler always needs to be nominated (and that she should also win!)

Comment by S – September 19, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her and the other lead comedy actress nominees should just be the hosts next year. That’d be awesome.

Comment by Emily – September 19, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler is an intelligent, talented goddess!! The rest of the women in that category are all amazing as well. It was one of the categories where I genuinely like all the nominees and are familar with their work. Congrats to Melissa!

Comment by Eliza – September 19, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww, Coach!!! I love him.

Comment by Kiki – September 19, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s never been nominated

Comment by Esaul – September 19, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where the heck was Mariska Hargitay? I didn’t see her during the pre-shows or during the show, except pre-recorded.

Comment by Zoe – September 19, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Comedy Actress Pageantry was the best part of the night (other than Kyle Chandler winning!). Amy Poehler is wonderful, and I can’t wait for more Parks and Rec (hopefully it can win something in the future)

Comment by Jay – September 19, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy Kyle Chandler won! Finally FNL gets the love it deserves. Wish Connie Britton would have won too!

Comment by Beth – September 19, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler, you awesome awesome lady! You deserved that trophy, but hears to next year!

Comment by Linda – September 19, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say that Poehler along with the other women’s stunt was the best. It was the highlight of the evening, and I enjoyed just watching them all up there. Congrats to all of them for being team players, and congrats to Melissa McCarthy for the win!! :-)

Comment by rac76 – September 19, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anybody know why the supporting actor in a movie or mini-series, came after the leading roles were announced? Did they get things out of order?

Comment by Terry – September 19, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Kyle Chandler was literally unprepared. Who really thought he would beat out Jon Hamm? Also, Amy Poehler for Emmy Host 2012!!

Comment by Amy – September 19, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He seemed drunk to me; but then again I always get that feeling from him.

Comment by smidnite – June 15, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you with regard to sharing that with persons you undoubtedly know very well what you might be preaching about! Saved. I implore you to additionally check with my website =). We are able to have a link buy and sell understanding of us

Comment by ηλεκτρονικο τσιγαρο αναλωσιμα – September 25, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post