Emmys

Emmys 2011: Modern Family Feels the Love With Five Wins, Friday Night Lights Grabs Gold

The 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards were held Sunday at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, and ABC’s Modern Family was the big winner, sweeping all five categories in which it received nominations. PBS’ Downton Abbey followed with four wins.

Other noteworthy gold-grabbers included The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (netting a ninth consecutive Emmy for Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series) and Friday Night Lights (celebrating its final season with a pair of statues).

Here are all the winners from Sunday. Skim the list and tell us which one(s) pleased you most!

Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
Lead Actor In A Comedy Series | Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series | Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series | Ty Burrell, Modern Family (Read our pre-Emmys Q&A)
Writing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family
Directing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family
Outstanding Comedy Series | Modern Family

What Emmy Winners Revealed Backstage: Shrink Love, K-Mart Underwear and the Key to Badassery

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Amazing Race
Reality Host | Jeff Probst, Survivor (announced at Sept. 10 Creative Arts Emmys)

Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Saturday Night Live
Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series |The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (ninth consecutive win)

Lead Actress In A Drama Series | Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (Read our pre-Emmys Q&A)
Lead Actor In A Drama Series | Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Supporting Actress In A Drama Series | Margo Martindale, Justified
Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Writing in a Drama Series | Friday Night Lights
Directing in a Drama Series | Boardwalk Empire
Outstanding Drama Series | Mad Men

Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce (She now just needs a Tony for the EGOT)
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Barry Pepper, The Kennedys
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Guy Pearce, Mildred Pierce
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie | Downton Abbey
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie | Downton Abbey
Outstanding Miniseries or Movie | Downton Abbey

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys on Sept. 10….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
Glee (Fox)
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special
| Mildred Pierce (HBO)

1. helen says:

Kyle Chandler
    Peter Dinklage

2 of the most deserving awards i have ever seen.
    Well it took 5 years to give it to Kyle but you know what they say,
    better late than ever!

Congratulations to both of them!

2. Jenn says:

God I wish I had stayed up last night to watch the whole show but I just couldnt’. Then to log on and see a picture of Kyle holding the emmy??!!! OMG I can’t believe it.. I am so so so freaking happy!!! I really wish Connie could have won as well but finally FNL gets some Emmy love!!!!!!!

3. Amiee says:

When Melissa won I actually jumped and yelled at the TV “This if for Gilmore Girls B*#&@es!!!”

4. ChrissieK says:

FINALLY I found the disappointing news that Cat Deeley did not win the hosting Emmy which was given out back on September 10th…like looking for a needle in the cyperspace haystack..geez, all that work trying to hunt down the info and she who should have won didn’t. Most disappointing lots of times last night, most disappointing with the show and who won.

5. Guy says:

Considering some of the nominations the best shows won in the end. Modern Family really cleaned up. Can’t believe Mad Men won best drama. This show imo isn’t as good as people say it is. Its all hype.

Glad Downton Abbey won too. Its an amazing mini-series and season 2 just premiered in the UK this past weekend.

6. D says:

Comedy was a freaking joke. Why is it that the Academy has no qualms with rich, layered storytelling and can hand out appropriate awards in the drama category, but subversive, irreverent humor just gets snubbed.

I mean, seriously, they knew they were gonna give it to an MF guy, so why not just nominate the guy you plan on giving the award, and use the other three slots on other, completely deserving actors?

7. IPF says:

Bittersweet. FNL finally gets some long overdue love. Margo wins. But SERIOUSLY voters?? Julianna Margolies!?!?!? Your board should be arrested for stealing from Connie Britton AT LEAST 4 times in 5 years. If she wasn’t hands down Best Actress year after year now, I’m Peter Pan…

• Audrey says:

Have you seen The Good Wife? Just curious. Julianna Margulies is amazing in it. So is Archie Panjabi – who lost out to Margo in the supporting category. If you’re a fan of great drama (which you seem to be, if you’re an FNL-er), you might really enjoy it.

• bobbi says:

are you serious? The Good Wife is great. Julianna Margolies deserves this Emmy. Archie Panjani won Best Supporting Actress the previous year, It is a great show.

8. Audrey says:

Was happy (and shocked!) to see all the wins for Downton Abbey. However, I have to jump on the pro-Mad Men writers train. As great as the writing on FNL may be, there is no way it can top the writing in “The Suitcase” (the episode Weiner was nominated for writing). Everything about the episode was pitch perfect. I’ll go so far as to say that MM deserved the writing award more than the Outstanding Drama award they received – that one could have gone to FNL instead (as another poster pointed out).

• Dani says:

I really do agree. ‘The Suitcase’ was amazing in it’s own right and the writing and/or the acting should have been rewarded in it’s own right.

9. MJ says:

Those that are angry need to remember that the voters are basing their vote on 1 episode and not a whole season. Maybe the person didn’t submit the best episode.

I personally am happy with the Modern Family love. The Halloween episode was truly one of my favorite all season and Julie Bowen did an outstanding job in that episode to deserve the emmy.

Plus, I was screaming so loud when Melissa McCarthy won. Talk about an underrated actress. She is truly, truly AWESOME!!!

10. Andrea says:

I didn’t watch FNL, but I remember Kyle Chandler’s work in Early Edition and Homefront, so good for him.

Very pleased with Julianna’s win!

11. LOL says:

Aside from Peter Dinklage winning, the Emmy’s ae a joke. Mad Men again… please. That show is terrible.

12. Volcfom says:

So happy for Melissa McCarthy!! I cheered at the TV as if I’d left the football game on. Love her!

13. Rachel says:

Emmys did a great job with drama this year, but they are clearly out of touch with comedy. Modern Family is a good show but undeserving of that amount of praise. I was glad to see Ty win (since Offerman wasn’t nominated) and okay with Julie winning, but the best comedy series last year was Parks and Rec, no question, and Amy should have walked away with best actress. Also, despite a weak season from The Office, emmy voters should be ashamed of themselves for never giving Steve Carell a trophy for any of his seven years of brilliant work on that show. Seriously, what an embarrassment.

14. REA says:

I’m pretty sure Kate Winslet doesn’t have a Grammy either

15. MJ says:

I’m so sad Steve Carrell didn’t win! I do like Jim Parsons and think he’s very talented but he won last year and has the chance to win again while this was Steve’s last chance. And you can’t really say that Parsons’ that much superior to Carrell that he deserved an emmy more.
    It’s a tragedy that Micheal Scott never won an Emmy.

16. terry says:

p&r is hor.rible couldnt watch 5 mins.does nobody watch SONS OF ANARCHY total snub the best show on tv since the sopranos

17. Marisa says:

FNL DESERVED that. Mad Men has other chances to win and while “the Suitcase” may’ve been the best ever, FNL CONSISTENTLY had awesome episodes.

18. Amber says:

Most surprising happy shock: Kyle Chandler. What a humble guy, too. I may have been jumping up and down on the couch screaming when this was announced. Good for the writers for their win too. I just loved FNL. I was a little disappointed it didn’t win best drama, but Mad Men was certainly deserving. They had their best season to date. FNL is so touching it breaks my heart every time I watch it, but Mad Men is just a fascinating show. That one was a tough call.

Most surprising angry shock: both lead actor and actress for comedy. I love Melissa McCarthy, she was the best part about Bridesmaids, but I would have guessed she had the least chance to win because Mike and Molly is not a very strong show. I personally would have gone with Amy Poehler, or even Edie Falco or Laura Linney. It was great they put the Miss America crown on her though. Funny stuff. Also, Jim Parsons beating Steve Carell….I call BS on that. Poor Steve looked crestfallen.

The win I feel like gloating over: Julie Bowen beating her costar, Jessica Rabbit. Maybe that will deflate Jessica Rabbit’s ego a little bit.

Funniest moment of the night: Jimmy Fallon’s sarcastic clapping to the Daily Show’s win.

Best line of the night: “A lot people are very curious as to why I’m a lesbian — ladies and gentleman, the cast of Entourage.”

The win I’m completely p*ssed about: Julianna Margulies taking the Emmy over Elisabeth Moss and Connie Britton. I just don’t think TGW is that good of a show. I don’t get the hype. It’s okay, I watch it and all…it’s just kind of procedural and predictable, and this really should have been Elisabeth Moss’s year.

Most Justified win of the night (see what I did there!): Margo Martindale. Too bad she fell on the stairs during her moment of glory though. If she hadn’t won this award, I would have turned off the Emmys right there and stopped watching. She was absolutely the most deserving candidate for the entire night.