Emmys

Emmys 2011: Modern Family Feels the Love With Five Wins, Friday Night Lights Grabs Gold

The 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards were held Sunday at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, and ABC’s Modern Family was the big winner, sweeping all five categories in which it received nominations. PBS’ Downton Abbey followed with four wins.

Other noteworthy gold-grabbers included The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (netting a ninth consecutive Emmy for Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series) and Friday Night Lights (celebrating its final season with a pair of statues).

Here are all the winners from Sunday. Skim the list and tell us which one(s) pleased you most!

Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
Lead Actor In A Comedy Series | Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series | Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series | Ty Burrell, Modern Family (Read our pre-Emmys Q&A)
Writing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family
Directing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family
Outstanding Comedy Series | Modern Family

What Emmy Winners Revealed Backstage: Shrink Love, K-Mart Underwear and the Key to Badassery

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Amazing Race
Reality Host | Jeff Probst, Survivor (announced at Sept. 10 Creative Arts Emmys)

Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Saturday Night Live
Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series |The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (ninth consecutive win)

Lead Actress In A Drama Series | Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (Read our pre-Emmys Q&A)
Lead Actor In A Drama Series | Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Supporting Actress In A Drama Series | Margo Martindale, Justified
Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Writing in a Drama Series | Friday Night Lights
Directing in a Drama Series | Boardwalk Empire
Outstanding Drama Series | Mad Men

Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce (She now just needs a Tony for the EGOT)
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Barry Pepper, The Kennedys
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Guy Pearce, Mildred Pierce
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie | Downton Abbey
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie | Downton Abbey
Outstanding Miniseries or Movie | Downton Abbey

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys on Sept. 10….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Loretta Devine, Grey’s Anatomy
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Paul McCrane, Harry’s Law
Reality Program |
Deadliest Catch (Discovery)
Casting in a Drama Series |
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Casting For A Comedy Series |
Glee (Fox)
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special
| Mildred Pierce (HBO)

1. sandra says:

Yay! Modern Family. Well deserved.

2. chris says:

Happy for Julie but was really rooting for Sofia!

3. Mellie says:

GO MODERN FAMILY! 4 for 4 so far!

4. Sam says:

Someone tell me they here the tetris noise coming from the emmys too.

5. Sam says:

Someone tell me they hear the tetris noise coming from the emmys too.

6. Elizabeth says:

All the women nom’d for lead actress in a comedy effing ROCK.
    I wanted my girl Amy Poehler to win, thought she was the most deserving but so happy for Melissa!!

• Sara says:

i agree!!! when they were walking up i felt they were all deserving, which is truly rare for any category at any award ceremony. Really hoping Amy (and Parks & Rec) would get more love, but like I said, would’ve been happy with Eddie, Martha, Tina or Laura, and i’m happy for Melissa.

• Alice says:

Totally agree with this entire statement. I was really rooting for Amy Poehler (and P&R for the best comedy, which I *really* think they should have gotten), but Melissa McCarthy is so funny, and I’m really happy for her.

But next year is definitely Amy Poehler’s year. And Parks and Rec. And Nick Offerman. Well, I say that assuming that they’ll top this year, but all signs point to them being able to do so.

• Eli says:

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy, go Melissa McCarthy, I was actually rooting for her. I love Amy too, but this soooooooo wellllllll deserved for Melissa. I’m over the rainbow right now!

7. Sd says:

I hear it, very annoying!

8. Diana says:

what happened to outstanding reality show host?

9. Jimmy says:

I’m a Mike and Molly fan, but Melissa McCarthy wasn’t the most deserving person in that category. I was pulling for Martha Plimpton, but at least it wasn’t Tina Fey.

10. PaulH says:

All you Louie CK fan out there; all one of you. Here’s an update from the Nokia: 0 for 4.

SCOREBOARD, folks.

11. Mikaylah says:

No offense to Melissa McCarthy, who I LOVE, but Amy Poehler should have won. Emmy fail.

• Eli says:

Be respectful. Melissa truly deserved it. I feel like name-calling you right now, but I won’t stoop that low.

• Amy says:

I adore Melissa McCarthy, I think she’s one of the funniest ladies on Earth. That being day, I agree 100% with Mikaylah (and a lot of other people) Amy Poehler should have won. I feel like Melissa won because she was so hilarious in Braidsmaids.

12. Bee says:

FNL BEAT MAD MAN FOR WRITING? OMGGGGGGGGGGG. PRAISE THE HEAVENS! the emmys are shocking us tonight.

13. april-ann says:

Melissa McCarthy! Melissa McCarthy! Way to go!! This is not an emmy fail, please watch her and see how natural and understated she is. She deserves it, she got this on her own because she is a wonderful, amazing actress, but…..This still doesn’t begin to make up for the travesty of no emmy love for Gilmore Girls.

14. Tee says:

Yay for Margo Martindale! She was excellent on Justified.

15. Maryb says:

FNL for writing? Really? Should have been Mad Men. I could accept other dramas winning other awards but Mad Men is the best written show ever. Now I’m worried …

• chris says:

Mad Men wins every year. Time for some other shows to be recognized.

• Alice says:

Personally, I think they should be switched. Mad Men for the writing and FNL for the overall outstanding drama makes a little more sense to me.

• Josh says:

But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the awards? Why should voters have to spread the love to something that may not be as deserving?

• Mick says:

May not be deserving, if you watch FNL you know this has been a long time coming the show is brilliant, the writing is brilliant. Mad Men could have easily won but FNL has been good if not as great as Mad Men for seasons 1,3,4, and 5.

16. Lily says:

While Mad Men is a fantastic show, which has been the Emmy favorite for years, I think FNL is more than deserving. The show is so underrated and has been phenomenal every season. It’s touching, well written, and honest. It makes you feel. And I’m glad it’s finally receiving some long overdue credit.

17. Bethany says:

Ahhhh that sound is literally driving me nuts!!

18. Bee says:

OMG. OMG. OMG.
    OMG x infinity.

KYLE FREAKING CHANDLER WON! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i’m still shaking from the excitement. holy crap.

19. Mikaylah says:

Boo for Connie Britton not winning, but WHOO! for Kyle Chandler!!

20. Mellie says:

Words cannot describe how excited I am that Mad Men is FINALLY getting the inattention it deserves.

• Michael says:

Ditto. And LO-Freakin-L.

Clear eyes. Full Hearts.

FNL for the shocker of the year but a well-deserved one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jess N says:

I couldn’t even get through the pilot episode I found it so dull, so I will never understand the hype.

• maggie says:

the pilot was a little slow at some points. but ive seen the pilot about 5 times now and the most recent time i REALLY paid attention, and it got to me. but im so glad i stuck with it the first time around cuz it really pulled through and became one of my favorite shows of all time

• Jax says:

You will never understand because you are judging a show that ran for multiple seasons on just one single episode. Go watch at least five episodes and then maybe we’ll listen to your opinion.

• Renee says:

I found the pilot very difficult and boring until right at the very end. Then it grabbed me. But the pilot definitely required persistence.

• annie says:

awesome comment!

21. wicked says:

KChandler winning is best surprise ever. Very glad this show finally got some recognition!

22. Sam says:

Yay for Julianna Margulies & Kyle Chandler, and Ha for Hugh Laurie.

23. Bee says:

i hope FNL wins best drama series. what a FANTASTIC result that would be. PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN. although i would feel kind of bad cus that means only connie lost from the FNL camp.

24. shockpop08 says:

Still in complete shock that Kyle Chandler won! How amazing! Glad to know voters finally opened their eyes.

25. Patti says:

THAT NOISE is ruining the show and setting my nerves on edge! Has anyone figured out what it is?

26. april-ann says:

Surprises, yes. Some, SOME, fan love finally. Deserving actors winning, finally. I’m happy with SOME of the winners but not being a very trusting person, I have to wonder if falling ratings for emmy shows have finally struck a chord.

27. Thomas says:

Wow, was Matthew Weiner actually gracious? Guess Kurt Sutter won’t have much to rag about–except the undeserved win.

28. Adam says:

Screw the Emmy voters. Everyone knows that Parks and rec and Game of thrones have been ROBBED!!

29. Jess N says:

Modern Family blah blah blah
    Mad Men blah blah blah

YAY for Kyle Chandler!!

30. Elizabeth says:

Parks & Rec was a heck of a lot better than Modern Family this past tv season!! I watch both and P&R was amazing.

And so was Amy Poehler.

31. alyssa says:

SOOOOOO happy for Ty Burrell!! He definitely deserved it!

32. Anna says:

Happy to see Paul McCrane get noticed.

33. Jean says:

Stupid Chandler. Everybody knew that Hugh Laurie deserved the gold. HE OPERATED HIMSELF, GOD DAMN IT!

• Jess says:

lol i know you’re probably being sarcastic but hugh laurie not getting the emmy year after year (like steve carrell) is rather regrettable. Even though house was not great this past season, Hugh always delivers on his acting. I’m a huge fan of everything he does and has done, and compared to a lot of the actors who can only do drama or only comedy, Hugh clearly stands out as a multi-talented renaissance man who’s an actor, musician, writer, etc.

• timshel says:

Well said. Mr. Laurie is long overdue but I have faith that he’ll get it one day. Not that he needs a silly little statue to prove his awesomeness.

• Thomas says:

Chandler deserved to win and the academy is over Hugh. He has become an old stand by for the category (see Mariska Hargitay) and probably wouldn’t even have been nominated if Bryan Cranston had been eligible.

• Kath G says:

Hey Thomas, if the academy is over Hugh WHY does he keep getting noms year after year, just like Jon Hamm, and Michael C Hall. Is the academy over them too? Just because you win a gold statue does NOT make you the better actor. Thats why awards like this are a joke!

• Thomas says:

Because he’s a STAPLE. A stock choice to fill out the category instead of searching for fresh/deserving nominees. At 6 nominations and no wins they obviously aren’t enamored with him or else he’d have won already. Besides, his show has been around longer and he’s been nominated more than the other 2 you mentioned. A better comparison would be to Steve Carrell, who also has gone 0 for 6, except after tonight he has officially failed to win an Emmy for his work (on The Office).

34. GS says:

I just don’t get Modern Family. I’ve tried to watch it but just don’t like it. Jim Parsons and Melissa McCarthy are the only ones I was happy about. Really wanted to see Dexter win. Best show on tv!

• JohnDoe says:

Me neither, terribly unfunny. But then again, this is the Emmy’s we’re talking about. The people who vote usually aren’t all that up to speed on what is good and what is not.

• J says:

Um… The show’s a big hit, so it’s not just voters who like it….

• R says:

Two and a Half Men is a hit, too, that doesn’t make it emmy-worthy. MF season two wasn’t nearly as good as season one; while P&R has been absolutely KILLING it, but got shut out because it doesn’t have the same hype machine. That’s why so many think the voters are out of touch.

35. CJ says:

very fitting that ty and julie won for modern family.
    beset reaction shot of a family member EVER.
    melissa mccarthy winning takes away (almost) all the pain of amy poehler being ROBBED.
    dame maggie smith couldn’t be there because she just started a new term at hogwarts.
    i love how PUMPED kate winslet was to win. why hide it?

36. Sg. Grant says:

Clear eyes. Full hearts.

37. jar says:

People hearing the noise: did you happen to have the live blog up and your speakers on? If so, THAT was what you were hearing.

38. Ethan says:

Mad Men wins series four years in a row and yet NO acting award. LOL

39. john says:

Glad, I skipped the Emmys once again. The awards seems to be more out of touch with each passing year.

40. Sara says:

umm… What did Kate Winslet win a grammy for? Can someone refresh my memory?

I’m really happy for Jim Parsons, but sad about no Parks&Rec love. Hope Nick Offerman gets a nom next year!!! It took Big Bang 4 seasons to get a best comedy nom and probably a lot more for Simon Helberg and other cast to be recognized, so there’s still hope for Parks&Rec!

Adding Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones to my watch list!!!

41. LL says:

so excited about Margo Martindale! I remember watching her each episode thinking “she is going to win an Emmy….” And she DID! Too bad her character died…. but what an amazing range she has… touching and frightening all at the same time.

42. Rebecca says:

These are ridiculous! I’m glad I didn’t watch them. I’m so sick of hearing about The Good Wife. Elisabeth Moss should have won HANDS DOWN. And Melissa McCarthy over Tina Fey? Or even Amy Poehler? Jim Parsons over Steve Carell, Alec Baldwin AND Louis C.K.?! Kyle Chandler over John Hamm and Hugh Laurie? Friday Night LIghts is a terrible show! I can’t even believe this. Ridiculous.

43. JohnDoe says:

Modern Family sucks. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is funnier and more deserving than all of those shows combines in the comedy category. Including the atrociously unfunny Amy Peohler and Tina Fey shows.

44. Mehvash says:

Texas Forever! Hooray for Kyle Chandler and FNL. not a full redemption but at least something after 5 years of greatness.

45. Christian says:

Congrats to Jim Parsons on the win, but damn am I ever disappointed Steve Carell didn’t get it. The man did fantastic work with a character that could easily have become a one-note stereotype, and it’s such a shame that he’ll never be recognized for it.

46. Jacob says:

Kate Winslet has a Grammy? Gotta find out about this…

47. Amy says:

When Kyle Chandler won, I started jumping up and down. I don’t know if I have ever been so excited about an Emmy win. Seriously, I thought FNL would be totally shut out but they won TWO awards! I will take it. Still upset Steve Carrell didn’t win.

48. Lyndsey says:

Lead actress in a miniseries or TV movie for Mildred Pierce

49. Polly says:

Another year, another farce in the comedy section.

After the totally unfunny 30 rock, we started the reign of the completely unfunny modern family.

Will it ever come the year where the shows that really make people laugh (i.e. Community) get recognized?

50. JHarnes says:

Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones, congratulations! I think this actor was great and expect even more when season 2 begins!