Fall TV Preview

Nathan Fillion: 'I Want Castle To Have a Drunken, Romantic Evening With Beckett, and Then…'

Can I beat a bullet? Can I be faster than a bullet?

Speaking with TVLine on the set of ABC’s Castle, Nathan Fillion says that is what was racing through his character’s mind at the close of last May’s finale, the instant he realized Beckett was about to be felled by a sniper’s bullet.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Mama Castle‘s Scary Adventure, and More

The shocking shooting not only spilled blood, it also prompted Castle to spill his feelings for his partner in crime-solving, erasing any last shred of doubt about where the playboy novelist stands.

“There’s a lot between these people that has yet remained unsaid, so it was a very visceral kind of thing,” Fillion says. “He finds himself overcome and confesses his love, knowing that this very well may be his last chance to express himself like that, which he’s never done for her before.”

That Kate even landed in the crosshairs of a gunman – let alone took a bullet, sans protective vest – speaks to the enormity of the hornet’s nest the lady detective has been rattling in her endeavor to determine who not only killed her mother, Johanna Beckett, in 1999, but also has been pulling out all the stops to keep the cover-up covered up.

“They’re trying to let viewers understand the kinds of people we’re dealing with when talking about Beckett’s mother’s murder,” says Fillion. “And they are dangerous people, that’s all there is to it.”

Fillion trumpets but one “spoiler” — “Beckett lives!” — so you’ll have to tune in Monday night at 10/9c to witness the ramifications of Beckett’s shooting, including how she has processed the confession Castle made before she lost consciousness.

Castle Boss Teases a Season of ‘Explosive’ Secrets, Defends Controversial Twist

Instead, we’ll move onto the “other woman” about to make an impression on Castle: Victoria “Iron” Gates, the late Capt. Montgomery’s successor whose first order of business is to hand our favorite author his walking papers. (As Seamus Dever, who plays Ryan, puts it: “Gates is more of the hard-ass, someone who is less forgiving when cops screw up. Our relationship is: I want to get out of the room if she comes into it!”)

To be rebuffed by Beckett’s new boss, as you can imagine, finds Castle in most unfamiliar territory.

“It’s difficult for him, because Castle can often get by on charm, and he’s very, very comfortable around women — that’s his wheelhouse,” says Fillion. “So when he’s constantly failing there, it drives him to try harder. Like, ‘Why won’t you like me? Get to know me!'”

New Castle Captain Lays Down the Law: There Will Be No Sexual Tension In My Precinct!

But just how well will Castle let Gates “know” him, in the name of rejoining Beckett’s team? Dever quips in front of Fillion, “I think Castle is going to end up sleeping with Gates” -– an idea his costar is more than game to let run with.

“I want Castle to have a drunken, very romantic evening with Beckett, and then say, ‘I think I’m going to regret something I’m about to do’ — and then cut to him in bed, with an arm over him. And it’s Gates,” Fillion offers. “We then piece together how the evening happened!”

Well, let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

1. Jackie says:

I love Nathan Fillion. (In a non-creepy way… Haha.) He’s hilarious! That would definitely be an interesting episode to tune in for. Very excited for the premiere. Might have to watch the finale again to be in the right mindset for it tomorrow night. :)

• Dijea says:

Nathan Fillion is such an appealing man, he makes his characters even more appealing. Boyishly charming and a wicked sense of humor – almost makes him the perfect man.

~too bad I’m married~ (haha!)

I watched all the episodes on TNT this weekend that were related to her mother’s murder including the season finale from last year. I can’t wait till tomorrow night.

• Rhonda says:

Jackie – I agree except for one thing – I kinda do love Nathan Fillion in a creepy way :D Charming, amusing, good looks, the gentleman has it all –

• alex says:

I love Nathan, and he is such a sweetheart. He’s so good to his fans.

2. Luminosity says:

Kate’s mom was murdered, but she wasn’t a cop.

3. Amy says:

LOL oh Nathan..

4. Katarzyna says:

Sorry to say it, but Fillion is an idiot some times. Thanks God that it’s Andrew Marlowe who is writing the show, not him, so we can hope that something so idiotic like this is not going to happen.

• JJ says:

You DO realize that Nathan was joking, right? And Seamus was the one who actually brought it up. NF was running with the joke.

• LightenUpPeople says:

Nathan Fillion is a big goofball. He just kids around in these interviews. Basically he’s having fun since he can’t really give many spoilers away. Personally, I love his crazy ideas (that we all know will never happen)!!

• Jamie says:

Calm down. He was joking, he does it all the time. That’s his personality, he’s not actually serious.

5. Kate says:

Yikes! Every time I read an interview Nathan Fillion gives about Castle, I’m very relieved he has nothing to do with writing the show. I can’t WAIT until the premiere tomorrow night!

• Jamie says:

He was joking, like he always does in these interview. Nathan wasn’t actually serious, I don’t know why people are freaking out over it.

6. Kathy Bergeron says:

This is my favorite series, but this would probably lessen my enjoyment of the show. I just do not see why couples on regular series canNOT be in a real, meaningful relationship without having something ruin it. Real relationships DO exist and they are wonderful–I am living proof as a veteran of 35 years of marriage. It does not mean that the show becomes boring, either–not if the writers are as intelligent and as perceptive as those of CASTLE. Nathan–you are amazing, but please keep your plot ideas to yourself! LOL.

7. april-ann says:

Well, let’s hope it DOES come to that! LOL, sounds like fun.

8. KDW says:

There seriously needs to be a contest to hang out with Nathan Fillion for a day and I definitely need to win it!! I love that guy. Can’t wait for Castle’s return.

9. illi says:

I don’t like the part with Gates in Castle’s bed. Bad…REALLY BAD idea!!!

• Janine says:

If Castle sleeps with the boss, I am done. The man has slept his way through 3 seasons, but had never said I love you. If he tells Beckett he loves her in a last minute effort to say it before she dies, then says ooops she actually lived…. and keeps sleeping around, it would make it too much like a soap opera. There are too many soaps and dramas already. Leave it playfully fun and sexy.

10. Maria says:

Great interview! Can’t wait for tomorrow!!!

11. Mery says:

Can´t wait for tomorrow, i been waiting since may, this show is amazing i can´t understand why they all not have an emmy yet!!!

12. Layones says:

But he jokes finally, you really do not believe it?

13. Wendy says:

Nathan Fillion was clearly joking. That said, I see no romantic heat between Castle and Beckett (only pals; I watch solely for NF and the vibe with the entire cast), so I’d be down for some funny hijinx like this. But that is something I know is not likely. And this is one of the few shows I don’t root for the ‘ship. But since I do for other shows, I know the other side would not like the idea, understandably!

• Trish says:

Seriously? LOLOL The actors were HIRED because of the chemistry they ooze. I guess everyone was wwrong. Let’s retool the entire show!!

• ALI says:

Wendy – if you don’t see the red hot chemistry between C & B, all i can say is, all your boyfriends must have thought they weren’t being obvious enough! Or you were playing hard to get!!!!!

• ara says:

This sounds kind of mean, don’t you think?
        Well, I actually see chemistry between Fillion and Katic, but to me Fillion has chemistry with lampposts and Basingstock cakes, so.. The sole purpose of the series seems to be showing off the sparkling chemistry all cast members have with Fillion, I especially love the father-daughter dynamic and the “bro” unity. So no pressure from me with this shipping stuff.

• Jamie says:

Are you kidding me? Castle and Beckett have loads of romantic heat between them. They don’t belong with anyone else, end of story.

14. merikat says:

I can just see the twinkle in Fillion’s eye when he sketched out his idea for getting Castle on Gates’ good side. Too bad some people don’t get his sense of humour.

I’ve been a huge fan of his ever since he was playing Joey Buchanan on “One Life to Live.”

15. Danielle H. says:

Why does anyone not get that he’s joking when he makes up plot points. He’s awesome, quit hating!

16. JJ says:

I love how this cast is just a bunch of goofballs.

17. Irene says:

Well, it looks like we will be playing with our murdered mother throughout the series. I saw what happened when this happened in the profiler and I hate to see that happen to this series but it seems that
    there are no new plots.

Why not let the detectives handle cases without worrying about the past already. How old is she. Get over it. Lots of people lose their mothers at even younger ages and still move on with their lives.

It’s a detective show. DETECT.

As for Castle, the chemistry between him and everyone else is wonderful so of course, we are going to mess with it.

NEVER let a series enjoy what it was originally intended for. ALWAYS mess with it until you bring it down

• Carmen says:

This continuing plot storyline (who killed Becketts mother) epitomizes something that bothers me about this and other shows.
      That is, The writers seem to assume that there must be an arch villain.
      I guess that having such a villain storyline enables the writers to get lazy several times a year if they are stuck for an interesting case.
      To me, the arch nemesis episodes are the most boring of the seasons. Many times, I watch something else.

• Janine says:

I agree. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the bantering, sexy flirtations, the playfulness, the bro moments, and the relationship with Esposito and Lanie. I could so see Castle and Beckett continuing in a sexy relationship that banters, gets wild and has her looking at him as if she won’t let him BS his way through the replationship. Beckett is smart. A couple of times in season 2 they had her asking stupid questions like “but why would he lie?’ in a genuinely puzzled tone when it was obvious the person was trying to hide. Beckett isn’t stupid. Don’t make her be a wimpy lay down and die person. Castle and she get along great because they let each other get away with the little things, but are both strong. She keeps him in line and he likes it because he knows he doesn’t have to do it. He keeps her on her toes. That makes it a good story.

18. Dawnsister says:

I Love Nathan, and he knows how to play his characters. Let’s hope the writing on the show this year treats the viewers better. We don’t need to be spoon fed info, we’re not morons. Also, bring back those fabulous music inspired beginnings like the first two seasons!

19. Marie says:

Kate Beckett is fabulous and I really think she deserves FAR better than womaniser Castle. It is absurd of Castle to tell Beckett “I love you Kate” as he doesn’t know how to have a meaningful relationship. He will make out with any woman that glances in his diretion. Demming and Josh both loved Kate, and were no bumbling idiots, trying to prove themselves by flirting with and going with other women to try and make Kate jealous. There would have been no elongated Kate/Mothers murder story IF Castle had have kept his nose out of it as Beckett told him too. I hope Addrew Marlow will give Kate a TRUE LOVE and please don’t let that be Castle? Not if he can’t stop his meandering with every woman who he encounters! Sorry if this is opposed to a lot of Castle fans viewpoint, but Beckett deserves a man with a faithful heart!

• Tallulah says:

…What a ridiculous thing to say.

Castle is a womaniser. Always has been. But if you haven’t seen how Beckett has changed him, than I can’t help you. He wasn’t with anyone the entire third season – except for his ex wife briefly, and guess why he broke up with her.

Why is it absurd for him to tell her he loves her? He has had serious relationships – there was Milano in A Rose For Ever After – many ofhter factors contributed to his relationships/marriages breaking down, and they had little to do with his immaturity. Even if it was because of him, how does that make his confession less legitimate? We know it’s the first time Beckett has really been in love, too.

Whennnn does he make out with random checks? And WHEN did he go out with other women to make her jealous? Even if he has, she’s done it just as much to him! Demming was sweet, but Kate felt nothing for him. Also, Josh. Remember how he’s hardly around? Yeah, great guy.

I agree that a lot of her mother’s murder storyline wouldn’t be around without him, but Knockdown and after would have happened because Raglan stepped forward of his own accord and started that battle.

Finally, about Castle having a faithful heart – he does. Being a womaniser and being faithful usually don’t go hand in hand, but that doesn’t mean they can’t. Both is ex wives cheated on him. Have you seen the way he looks at cheaters in the cases they deal with? It’s pretty much disgust.

• Marie says:

@Tallulah – I did say that I probably had different viewpoint to some Castle fans – so not meaning to upset anybody at all lol! I just got thru watching season 3 again, and Castle had dalliances with Ellie Monroe, his ex wives – altho Gina did last the summer admittedly but it wasn’t meaninful relationship was it? He allowed Natalie Rhodes to kiss him in full view of Kate, followed Kate to the same restaurant she had her date with the fireman with his date, and took Kates friend Madison to dinner. Also kissed and pined for his ex who was getting married – while Kate looked on – and lets face it that was a University romance. He flirts with a woman in nearly every place he goes – sorry but that is an on screen fact. I like Nathan Fillion as a person but I don’t like this particular part of his on screen character. I don’t know how any self respecting woman can put up with his dalliances. He is already talking about another dalliance with the Kristin Lehman character – I know its the writing team lol, but Tellulah I would like to see him a bit more true to his heart IF he does love Kate. I mean how can one buy into the whole love for Kate thing, when Castle picks up with other relationships too. If Beckett had told Castle that she loved him, and she had dalliances, I would feel the same way about her too – but as yet she hasn’t told him she loves him! So we can only see what evolves from here!

• ALI says:

Marie – have you not read any other Castle spoilers? I think you will change your mind tomorrow. It’s pretty clear what’s going to happen and it proves not only how faithful Castle is but also JUST how much he loves Beckett. He risks his own heart to keep her safe! That’s pretty huge in my book. I think you’ve completely misjudged Castle’s character. He married two women who both cheated on him. To cope, he became a flirt and playboy, but he ALSO suffered a serious case of writers block. Then he met Beckett, and if you watch the first episode again, as soon as she utters the words “you have no idea”, his love of writing comes rushing back. I think he falls for her right then. Castle has never made no secret he wants her. Beckett is the one holding back! In some respects she doesn’t deserve Castle! Here is a man who would set up a scholarship in Kate’s Mom’s name, just because he knows it would make Kate happy. A man who would jump in front of a bullet to save her. A man who would do anything to keep her safe. And after tomorrow, when you hear what Kate tells Castle during the park scene, i’ll be surprised if you don’t agree. Kate Beckett is a freaking idiot!

• Marie says:

ALI – enjoyed reading your thought on the Beckett/Castle relationship. I think you are agreeing that Castle is a playboy/womaniser but with just cause because of his hurt from past relationships? I hope you are right about RISE and what Kate says changing my thoughts on Castle, because I am in the other camp of Castle fans, who believe Castle’s other women dalliances will continue to keep them apart. I agree with you that Kate is very slow to commit, but she is carrying her own emotional pain from past hurts, and Castle though well-meaning just keeps opening up the wounds. I wouldn’t call Beckett a freakin idiot though, just not a person who rushes headlong into things only to see it all fall apart. I am going to take your word on RISE EPISODE THOUGH, because I am open to becoming a believer in Beckett/Castle love partnership outcome!

• Jeff says:

But all these issues (Castle being a womanizer, Beckett not appreciating Castle) all point to one thing – the writers have no idea how to write for a couple in a normal relationship, and so will drag out their getting together as long as possible with these plot devices. So blame the writers.

• @Tallulah says:

Learn to spell.

• Janine says:

I agree Beckett has changed Castle, but keep in mind.
        The star who wanted to be Nikki Heat in the season 2 episode where the late night guy died.
        Beckett’s friend in season 2’s restaurant episode where the chef is killed for getting his foster brother’s girlfriend pregnant.
        His first ex wife – the twinkie
        His second ex-wife
        wanting to date the model until he found out she’d been Alexis’s babysitter
        All this while coming onto Kate. Of course she dated otehr guys and decided he couldn’t be trusted. In the kitchen wars episode she even speaks of the girl with references to herself and Castle. ‘Of course he makes her feel alive, but she knows sooner or later he will just let her down so she takes safe…”

That is why she takes sexy guys like Tom Demming and Josh. They think she is great. Besides, Josh didn’t leave the last time because of her. That was in the episode about Castle and Beckett almost freezing.
        Is it time for them to move forward some? Absolutely. Did they lead each other on a merry chase? Definitely.
        Let’s just hope the crators don’t get so creative as to ruin the show that kept us all watching this long.

• Jamie says:

Is this an actually serious post, because all I can do here is roll my eyes.

20. cc says:

LOVE Nathan Fillion to death…but damn, he comes up with some REALLY bad ideas!! No, Nathan…..just NO! Thankfully, Andrew Marlow has a good grasp of his characters.

21. Lisa says:

Castle, still the only show I watch live as it airs. NF is that good! Oh and I am pretty sure he was joking. ; )

22. XK says:

People are taking this intereview a bit seriously. Nathan loves to stir stuff up and joke around. No need to get your blood pressure up! :)

• Jamie says:

Yeah, I don’t get why people have their panties in a bunch either. This is Nathan’s personality. He’s constantly joking around, he’s not actually serious. Geez.

23. Kathy says:

Does anyone remember the reruns (or original) show called Scarecrow & Mrs. King? Once they developed feelings for each other, they had to keep the relationship a secret. Why can’t that be done on Castle? Also, I think for the season finale next year, we should have Beckett saying, “Oh, Rick, by the way, I love you too.” I don’t know what setting they would be in but it would be neat if he didn’t/couldn’t remember if she said it or not.

• Jo says:

Not to mention that on Scarecrow and Mrs King, they got married at the start of the fourth season.

On Castle, the fourth season is starting and Beckett is still with Josh and she and Castle haven’t been honest with each other yet.

• Theresa says:

The problem is the number of episodes in the Scarecrow and Mrs. King were not the same. Castle was a midseason replacement. It only had 10 episodes in the first season. So they are still one year behind the same place in Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

• ali says:

Kathy – great idea! I like it! :) Although i think it would be really neat if the season four finale was set during Ryan’s wedding. Castle and beckett are very, very close to finally getting together but in the beginning of the episode Beckett finds out Castle has been keeping Montgomery’s files from her. She’s so angry and when we enter the wedding they are not speaking. Then at the reception her shooter tries to kill her again. Castle sees and THIS TIME, he manages to pull her out of the way. They end up on the floor, in the same position as this year and Beckett tells him “i love you too.” The end!

24. Dear Nathan Fillion,

I appreciate your talent, and have since you were Johnny on Two Guys and a Girl. But there is a reason why most actors should stay away from developing plot lines and you have just given a prime example as to why. The experience for the audience is not one of individual ‘cool moments’ the actors get to portray (and play with), but an evolving — and hopefully coherent and consistent — story.

It is sad enough that network execs often feel the need to keep the ‘will they/won’t they’ tension going on forever (often citing Moonlighting as a show where a consummated relationship ruined the show, wholly ignoring that the two stars not being in the same room for over a season killed that show) rather than to explore the new angles to the story. To have actors feel they must hamstring the good intentions and happiness of their characters is, in some ways, even more disappointing.

• marie says:

Well said Timothy – couldn’t agree with you more!

• Kath says:

Very well put.

I am sick of the ‘will they/won’t they’ plot contrivances because it’s starting to ruin this show as well.

I’m more interested in a show where the characters act like adults and do get together and go from there than act like blundering idiots in the efforts to keep them apart.

25. Lia says:

I hate the new Captain and I don’t know why they felt compelled to mess with the cast when their chemistry was so good.

26. Kath says:

I’m looking forward to seeing how the new Captain fits in although I will miss the old Captain very much.

I appreciate Nathan Fillion’s humor but given what a mess the show made of the Castle/Beckett chemistry last season by giving them both other partners, it’s too soon to be joking about Castle sleeping with someone else. The show owes me some decent Castle/Beckett interactions first.

27. Symce says:

I’d pay to see the drunken Castle scenario worked into an episode, just because it’s hilarious, and yes I do ship them, but casually. I’m not some rabid fan who immediately brings out the pitchforks the moment Fillion OBVIOUSLY jokes about a storyline.

They are goofing around people, it’s called a joke. I can’t believe so many ppl don’t get and hate on NF for it, as if he’d ruin the show or something if he actually got to do the storylines *rolls eyes*

(I’d still chip in some bucks to see that drunken episode pan out, oh boy it would be so good, especially if Beckett stumbled onto them.)

28. Jaz says:

So Beckett did hear his confession!!! Can’t wait till tomorrow’s season premiere :]

29. Eva says:

Nathan has always been a great actor. He’s got that “boy next door” charm to him. He’s had some really great ideas for the return of Firefly. I know he was making a joke and it was funny. he wasn’t being serious. That’s who he is. I absolutely love him to death. He could definitely be in the “world’s perfect man” competition.

• Alice says:

Eva it would be NO competition as he IS the world’s most perfect man! I love him!! His humor is so off the wall sometimes but I’ve seena great many interviews and he is always generous to others in his comments and his faux daughter tends to think of him as her dad too.

30. Lady C says:

Three words…Castle-Gates–Tacky…or maybe these trhee…Jump The Shark

31. shaun says:

I don’t understand how Castle gets booted.He’s in good with the mayor(unless he was replaced)and likely the police for the positive exposure his books bring to the PD.How can this new boss get into that?

• Theresa says:

The way it works is that Captain of precincts are pretty much allowed to run their precinct as they feel fit. The Mayor has not been alerted to Rick being removed so no political pressure will be placed. Only when Rick want to bring that pressure to bear will he be let back in.

32. l says:

OMG his jokes! adorable Nathan is forever adorable. your argument is invalid!

33. Hala says:

LOVE Nathan!! can’t wait to watch the episode!!!

34. Chris says:

I have loved Nathan all the way back to One Live To Live and everything in between (I’ve seen all he has been in) and I’m proud to say I’m a Browncoat! I have not missed one Castle I am SORRY to say I do not like Gates, She is not nice and how can anyone not like Rick. And to all the people who think he was serious do not know how he likes to joke. Lets let the writers write and the actors act.

35. kayla says:

i live in ireland and i have to wait for the new season to start because my nan wants to watch it with me plus i dont know when its coming on alibi if you could tell me please do because i’m starting to wath the repeats of everyone i saw.

36. julia w says:

Nathan why so much you gain?

Castle very put on weight in season 4.

37. Ali,Sr. says:

:) FICTION – Need I say more?
    Let Nathan’s weight be…when you have muscle on your bones you build “bone density”;)
    Congratulations to the entire Castle Group at ABC for continuing to give us great entertainment. Have a safe & wicked awesome summer. Ali, Sr.

38. Ali,Sr. says:

:) FICTION – Need I say more?
    Let Nathan’s weight be…when you have muscle on your bones you build “bone density” :)