Real Housewives Of New York City Dumps Four In 'Friendly' Break-Up

Get More: Casting News

Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New York City is divorcing itself from more than half of its cast as it plans for its fifth season.

The dispatched Housewives are Cindy Barshop and Kelly Killoren Bensimon (seated in photo), and Alex McCord and Jill Zarin (standing, second and third from left).

The cast shake-up was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter, which cited a statement from Bravo that read: “Ramona Singer, Sonja Morgan and LuAnn de Lesseps will be returning for Season 5 of The Real Housewives of New York City. We’ve had a fabulous run with all the ladies and appreciate them sharing their lives with our viewers.”

Addressing the four exits, the cabler said, “It is a friendly departure… and we continue to have ongoing discussions with them.”

Season 5 of RHONY is due to premiere in spring 2012.

Comments (21)

• Well, the classiest leaving was Alex with a simple BS free goodbye.
    Simon, God gave you no special gifts get a real job and stop exploiting your family. Jill, just go away, you are talentless and if seen on a program it will be turned off. Kelly, we want to know your analyst’s name. Cindy, get to know your babies, remember Joan Crawford’s daughter wrote a book.

Comment by elaine comstock-leirer – September 17, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching the train wreck of a Reunion Show, I vowed to myself I wouldn’t watch RHONYC unless they scrapped this shrewish bunch and started over with a new cast. This is a good start. Add Ramona to the list, and I may be back.

Comment by Amber – September 17, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree about ramona…i’d be happy just getting rid of jill and ramona…in fact my cut down list would look like this

if only one… ramona
      if two… ramona and jill
      if three… ramona, jill and kelly
      if four… ramona, jill, kelly and cindy

Comment by justafan – September 28, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be honest I never liked Cindy. She has 24 hour nannies for her twins that by the show looks like she never see just plays with at her convenience. You don’t have children to have other people take care of them, you are suppose to raise them not the nannies.

Comment by Lindsay – September 17, 2011 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cant imagine t he show without Jill…She always seemed to be the center of the show. Cindy was boring…so was Kelly – I didn’t even know she existed. And I can do without Alex too. But is this a $$ issue or what? The Houswives know t hat their only fame is from t his show…If its a content issue, I wonder why they chose Jill? Although Im sure she’s going to come out with a face-saving statement (Which could be true) that she’s had enough of the Housewives Drama (the last few years have been rough on Jill) and that she is focusing on her other businesses – she has a shape wear line. It also shows how fake these shows are and how they really are contrived because all of the sudden we’re going to see Luann, Sonya and Ramona going to dinner parties and vacations with 3 other ladies we’ve never met. And mysteriously Jill, Alex etc will be nowhere to be seen – just as Bethenny disappeared. So it may be unscripted in terms of dialogue but these shows are very well staged and crafted and the casts are all on record that if they don’t bring the DRAMA (see Nene Leakes), they will be ousted (sorry Cindy)… Personally although Ive been a fan, Im getting a bit tired of the Housewives franchises. I hope they get some real rich NY housewives that would be known.famous even if they weren’t on Bravo. But I guess those types don’t want to do reality TV and put their lives on camera. Who had ever heard of these ladies before and are they really representative of the NY social scene> I think NOT. (Sorry Countess)

Comment by Matt – September 17, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right you are Matt-a bull has only one itty tay

Comment by elaine comstock-leirer – September 17, 2011 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone has their favorites as well as those they dislike. I did not like wannabe Alex (or her pathetic husband Simon), Crazy Ramona or Delusional Sonja. I did enjoy Jill, Cindy (admittedly who never fit in and she knew it), sometimes Kelly, but rarely LuAnn. So, the shakeup leaves me with no one to follow. I think the franchise needs to sit down, think things through, and make some serious decisions. Drama, dysfunction, insanity, and catfighting get old – after awhile, it’s no longer enjoyable. To me, NY has reached that place.

Comment by Ellen – September 18, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well let me think about this announcement for a sec GOOD… I will miss Jill although she was never the same after the Bethany nightmare. Kelly yawning!!! and Cindy who?? sorry I just didn’t like her what little she said after something about a stupid cigar in the very beginning….Cindy needs to go raise he twins.. I think that is why you have kids not for nannies to do it.. NY is filled with lots of rich interesting people I am sure Bravo will find great replacements (they better) if not oh well another RH bites the dust!!! Too bad Luann didn’t make the list. She is starting to annoy me…Countess HA!!! The only one I will really miss is Alex who finally found her voice. minute on RH… Can you do something about Ramona’s bug eyes??? Oh well never a dull minute on RH…

Comment by Kathy – September 17, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the New Girl ads! lol!

Comment by Jonathan – September 17, 2011 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That might be it for me then. The show kind of became blondes vs. brunettes and I liked the brunettes better. I would go nuts just watching drunk Ramona and fake Sonja all the time.

Comment by Brandi – September 18, 2011 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! I cant stand jill, kelly is crazy, alex looks like a mummy and well cindy was alright. They should have fired the countless luanne. I don’t really mind romona or sonja. Thank God Andy Cohen listened to NPH when he was on WWHL during the summer.

Comment by Frances – September 18, 2011 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like Alex and I am glad Simon leaves with her. I liked Jill. She is a nut but of all of them I think she is the one that really does have a heart – under a mountain of neurosis. I cannot stand Ramona. She needs an intervention and her looks are scary. As for Sonya, I have never liked her character at all.

Comment by Jane – September 18, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s so preposterous about these “cast” changes on these shows is how one season they are all supposedly great friends and viola, next season they are going on these vacations and going to parties with an entirely different group of people. But they’re all pretty miserable people…

Comment by Z – September 18, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news. Bring in new people and if that dosen’t work, and the rating don’t improve (I know Bravo dosen’t want to, greedy a**es) scrap the series. I don’t like LuMann at all, but they need someone for drama. Btw, when does Atlanta start? Hate to admit it but NeNe Leakes is pretty entertaining.

Comment by Andy – September 18, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They want people with ACTUAL money, like Beverly Hills. Luanne and Ramona are that, which is why they were kept. Sonja clearly became the breakout of her season. The new ladies (three, I’ve heard) will have REAL money. It will be much more interesting!

Comment by BRETT – September 18, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I deleted this show from my DVR after 2 episodes of this past season. Boring women. Not interesting at all, especially after watching the women of Beverly Hills. That being said, maybe I’ll tune in again with the new cast. Here’s hoping they can find some interesting women who are less interested in bickering with each other and more interested in giving a real glimpse into their lives. Which, if I’m not mistaken is Bravo’s stated mission of these shows.

Comment by sue – September 18, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish the network gave an explanation why. At least, Ramona and Luann stay, but Sonja? For real? Jill became pointless after Bethenny left and all Alex did was complain about Kelly, Luann and Jill. She will not be missed.

Comment by Sarina – September 18, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refuse to watch the show unless they get rid of crazy, drunken, ignorant Ramona Singer. She’s so vile.

Comment by Kira – September 18, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more about Ramona being vile. Alex is the absolute worst so I’m very happy she is gone – she is the most boring woman! Also, speaking of vile, Sonja is horrible – I will never understand why anyone likes her. She is so pompous & narcissistic. I suppose she has lived a privileged life but maybe she could try being humble rather than obnoxious!

Comment by Kristin – September 18, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the Skank, the Drunk and the Countess are staying? Thank you, Bravo, for giving me one more show to take off of my DVR list.

Comment by Gina – September 18, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TG that Kelly, Jill and Cindy have gone. Alex … shame as you were starting to come out of your shell. Pity that LuAnn wasn’t sent packing with them, she is a sly person and SO false! LuAnn needs to practise what she preaches and her treatment of Alex was disgusting and very childish. Did she really write a book on “Manners” … don’t think so, perhaps it was her Agent who wrote it. Watch your back, girls as LuAnn can not be trusted. Ramona I am so glad you are still on the show, you say it how it is and I love it. I would rather have someone say it to my face then behind my back. Can’t wait for Season 5.

Comment by Helen – December 8, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post