Fall TV Preview

Glee Season 3 Scoop: Who's Sweet on Sugar, the New Girl? Who Does She Make Sour?

When Fox’s Glee returns for its third season on Tuesday at 8/7c, onetime American Dreams girl Vanessa Lengies will play a “mean girl” named Sugar. “I think that people are going to really laugh, and love her,” Lengies told me at an Emmys weekend kickoff reception TVLine hosted at Levi’s Haus.

OK, well not everybody will love her, certainly not within the halls of McKinley High. In our video Q&A, Lengies goes on to confirm which New Directions member will not welcome Sugar into the fold, as well as reveal who from the chorus will identify with the well-heeled schoolmate’s “delusional” manner.

Glee Season 3 Poll: Who Should Brittany Date?

Lengies also shares how one close friend and Glee star got her “infatuated” with the musical dramedy before it even premiered three years ago.

Comments (35)

• Santana wants some Sugar.

Comment by kit – September 16, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best first comment. Give me some Sugartana.

Comment by Ali – September 18, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this girl doesn’t seem like the brightest in the box of glee crayons…i love the show, and hopefully she’s a better actress than, well, thinker…

Comment by adam – September 16, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry, but that’s just mean. She seemed nervous mostly, not stupid.

Comment by Eli – September 16, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she doesn’t seem nervous at all during the interview at all, but quotes like “people are just going to love her” and thinking he meant adversary of her personally, and not her character is just ridiculous…

Comment by adam – September 17, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guess it’s a good thing that Hollywood, like the US Senate, doesn’t require a high IQ. They aren’t asking her to perform brain-surgery. I would love to put you under scrutiny and pick at your flaws.

Comment by Michael – September 17, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she is a very good actress just watch American Dreams season 1 on dvd or watch Hawthorne seasons 1,2, and the movie stick it.

Comment by jeremy – September 17, 2011 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m hoping she’s like her character in Stick It. “Dogs are people too!”

Comment by Captain – September 17, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • hahahahaha i loved her in that movie!!! “…you’ll have a cardiovasectomy. I’ll have a cardiovasectomy!”

Comment by kaitlyn – September 17, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok freud lips baby… sugartana will be on

Comment by iknow it! – September 16, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not as terribly against Glee as some of the other commenters on this site (I have a muted dispassion for it), but good Lord in heaven, TVLine has more coverage of the guest stars of this show than all of HBO and FX put together. Except maybe American Horror Story, which is, natch, created by Ryan Murphy.

Comment by Sam – September 16, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to be nitpicky- but she’s not a guest star. She’s a new character.

Comment by alex – September 17, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • edit: recurring character.

Comment by alex – September 17, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • new recurring character?

Comment by Kay – September 18, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vanessa Lengies totally just accidently shipped Brittana.

I like you, Vanessa. Welcome.

Comment by kate – September 16, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nawww. Bless her she was so nervous :)I think she’ll be good :)

Comment by JDHetherington – September 16, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is this Santana’s new girl?

Comment by Jon – September 16, 2011 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thats the girl from stick it… not missy but.. the girl she doesnt get along with at first lol

Comment by a – September 16, 2011 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a Vanessa Lengies fan I think she’ll do great on Glee I can’t wait until Tuesday

Comment by John Kenneth – September 16, 2011 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excuted to see Sugar. Already hoping to see some sugartana :D

Comment by M – September 17, 2011 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch Glee, but I loved American Dreams! Such a good show — sad it was cancelled after only 2 seasons.

Comment by Brooke – September 17, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was cancelled after 3 and it is still sad. The cast LOVED and tried so hard to get a 4th season. I was honored to meet 3 of the cast members Vanessa Lengies, Brittany Snow and Sarah Ramos (currently on Parenthood).

Comment by Mandy – September 21, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All these articles and news about the Glee new characters have done very little to arouse my interest. I am really excited about the new season, but not because of all these new additions (such as the glee project kids, the recently cast parents, etc). What whets my appetite is the idea of seeing the original gang getting real stories, of Tina getting more screen time, of Mercedes finally getting some love story (I so much wanted to see Samcedes develop), of seeing Rachel work towards her NYC dream…

Comment by Puckleberry – September 17, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “It’s not called gymnicetics.”

Comment by Hannah – September 17, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PUT DOWN THE PHONE! What’s with the closed-captioning, I’m not mute.

Comment by Captain – September 17, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very excited to see her on the show, she seems very sweet and I’ve only read good things about her character so far. Also, I wouldn’t be opposed to the possibility of Santana/Sugar, but of course we still only know very little about her character.

Comment by Maria – September 17, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! They’re totally setting up Sugar as Santana’s new love interest. And frankly I think it ROCKS. I can’t wait to see all the delusional Britana stans wank and cry for days because their dream will be shattered. Muhahahaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Santana – September 17, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m anxious for s3 to start and to see how Sugar character plays into the show. Im’ a Brittana fan but I’ll keep an open mind about Sugar and Santana. As for Vanessa I’ve seen her on Hawthorne and Stick It and she was really good. So go Glee. We’ll see her watching Puck do push ups.

Comment by Pleasepuss – September 17, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Vanessa from Popular Mechanics for Kids and Radio Active, 90s Canadian shows for the win =P

She’s an overall awesome actress and can’t wait to see her character

Comment by fiona – September 18, 2011 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh.

Comment by Ma'at – September 18, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’ll sing any song on the ep The Purple Piano Project?

Comment by Roberto – September 18, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch Glee Season 3, Episode 1 The Purple Piano Project Online Free In Mega Video Working Link 100% Here —->> http://tinyurl.com/3mub59b

Comment by mikel – September 20, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Here —->> http://tinyurl.com/3mub59b

Comment by mercy – September 20, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? Vanessa Lengies is a 26 year old playing what…a 16 or 17 year old? On HD, you can totally see that she even looks too old to be doing that. Not undermining her acting abilities, she was adorable in Stick It and Waiting – but she was also playing age-appropriate roles.

Hey, Ryan Murphy – cast a little better, will ya??

Comment by reallynow – September 22, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Vanessa in Hawethorne, am not impressed with her at all in Glee. I don’t think it shows her best qualities. Since I am watching this on NetFlix I am glad I can fast forward past it. Hope she isn’t in the 4th season. I haven’t gotten that far yet.

Comment by twstyles – December 13, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post