Vampire Diaries Season 3 Preview: Damon and Elena Get Close, Alaric Speaks Up and More!

Vampires, werewolves and hybrids — oh, my! There’s plenty of supernatural drama going down in Mystic Falls on the new season of The Vampire Diaries, premiering Thursday at 8/7c on The CW. But just as juicy and surprising is what’s happening in the love department and what it means for the show’s many twisted relationships — platonic, romantic and bromantic.

To get the scoop on Stefan’s dark journey, Damon and Elena’s growing closeness, Alaric’s new role and more, TVLine spoke to executive producer Julie Plec.

New Vampire Diaries Poster Is Bloody Delicious

TVLINE | In the past, you’ve divided the seasons into chapters. What’s the first chapter of Season 3?
The first chapter of Season 3 is really being driven by, Where’s Stefan? Is he OK? Is he keeping his humanity together? Can he be rescued from Klaus? Does he want to be rescued from Klaus? And ultimately, Stefan and Klaus’ journey as road partners, so to speak, as they set out on Klaus’ goal to create more hybrids like himself. That’s a lot of what’s going on with our heroes. But in the backdrop of that, of course, is the ghost story that ultimately finds its way into the Klaus story and everything starts to intersect. By the end of the first chapter, we understand how all of this connects and where we’re heading into the next portion of the season.

TVLINE | How “ugly” does Stefan get? And by ugly, I don’t mean physically.
Stefan is going on a journey that is not short, and it’s not going to be pretty. I don’t want to say definitively how dark he gets because it’s all part of an ongoing season-long journey of who he is when he is being controlled by his own blood lust and by his true nature as a vampire. [It's about] peeling back the layers on Stefan and trying to get inside of who he is and how he operates. Also, does he have any humanity? And if so, is there anyone that can help him latch onto it to make sure that he doesn’t completely fall over the edge?

Vampire Diaries Preview: Get Ready for a Scary-Fun ‘Ripper Stefan’ Roadshow

TVLINE | How does Elena handle seeing this new side of him?
A lot of Elena’s journey is, “OK, I’m a grown up. I can handle it. We’ve been through this before. We’ve seen it. I’ve seen him at his worst.” A lot of her journey is recognizing that maybe what she’s seen is just one piece of a very painful and complicated character puzzle.

TVLINE | How is the kiss between Elena and Damon in the season finale going to affect things between them, especially now that Stefan is not around as much?
Damon and Elena have an interesting dynamic in that they finally come to terms with each other at a level of mutual appreciation. And as that was happening, Stefan was off sacrificing himself over to the dark side, basically making a Faustian deal in order to save Damon’s life. So there’s a big elephant in the room [because] of the awkwardness of that. It goes largely unspoken, but it’s always there. Both of them are equally committed to saving Stefan because Stefan sacrificed himself for them. But along the way, they are thrown into a lot of different circumstances where they work together, they’re very close, [and] they’re getting closer. It’s a complicated relationship that they have. There’s a lot of tension there. There’s a lot of sexuality that lies under the surface. There’s a closeness between Elena and Damon that she might try to ignore and fight, but it’s obvious to everyone around them. We’re going to start to see, as we get into the season, how other people in our world see Damon and Elena’s friendship and relationship, and what they think about it.

Vampire Diaries Boss: Season 3 Is ‘A Defining Moment’ for Damon and Elena

TVLINE | It seems like Alaric might have something to say about it.
Alaric is unimpressed, I’ll tell you that. [Laughs] He is not impressed, and he’s not particularly interested in keeping quiet about it either.

TVLINE | So is his bromance with Damon on the outs then?
There’s definitely some tension in the Alaric/Damon bromance. There’s not an easy band-aid to it. These guys have a great connection as inexplicable unlikely friends, and it’s so fun to see them getting along. But Alaric’s a man who’s been tasked with keeping an eye out for this young woman, and he’s not going to stand by without saying something if he feels like something inappropriate is going on.

TVLINE | Is Damon still carrying on with Andie Star?
Damon is definitely not being completely celibate over our summer break. [Laughs] Damon’s been getting some.

New Vampire Diaries Promo: Temptation! Hair-Pulling! Oh, and Cake!

TVLINE | Speaking of temptations… How tempted will Stefan by this new girl that you’re introducing from his past, Bex?
She represents a part of his life when he was in one of his darkest places, but also one of his most fun places when Ripper Stefan was in full effect. So if anything, she’s a mirror for him, a reminder of how sometimes being bad wasn’t so bad at all.

TVLINE | How much are we going to be seeing of Elijah and the other Originals this season?  Please tell me that stake’s coming out soon.

[Laughs] I’ve said aloud that Elijah as played by Daniel Gillies has firmly embedded himself into the canon of this series, but I am not going to tell you when he comes back.

TVLINE | Can you say whether we’re going to see other members of their family?

I can say that exploring the origin tale of the Originals – that’s a mouthful – is very much a part of our plan beginning at our close of the first chapter. We do very much want to dive into that world of what life was like a 1,000 years ago before vampires existed.

TVLINE | You have Klaus out to build this hybrid race, but meanwhile, there’s this vampire and this werewolf in Caroline and Tyler, who are getting very close. Do they factor at all into Klaus’ mission?
Well, we shall see.

Hot New Vampire Diaries Video: Tyler/Caroline Rival Damon/Elena for Sexiest Duo

TVLINE | Between Jack Coleman and Sebastian Roche coming on, there are a lot of new adults on the show. Is the Founders Council going to be playing a bigger role in the new season?
Yeah. The Founders Council, in their own sad, tragic, ineffective way, is still very much a part of our world. Between Caroline and Tyler’s relationship and what Mayor Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes have to say about it and then, ultimately, with the returning element of a member of the town coming in [via] Jack Coleman… Even Alaric’s saying, “Well, hang on a second. Who’s the advocate over here for the not supernatural people?” Alaric’s role is to kick the council in the ass a little bit and say, “You guys are falling asleep on the watch and somebody needs to stand in here and make sure that the humans are protected in this town.”

TVLINE | Kevin [Williamson] said at TCA that the Matt/Caroline/ Tyler triangle would play out alongside Damon/Elena/Stefan. But last we saw, Matt broke up with Caroline and seemed like he wanted to create some distance from all this supernatural stuff. Does he have a change of heart about Caroline then?
Not in the first chapter, no. He’s really got his hands full with the ghost of his dead sister returning to town.

Vampire Diaries fans, are you pumped for the new season? What are you looking forward to most?

1. ripleyaeryn says:

I am looking forward:
    -more Forwood (Michael Trevino and Candice Accola have an incredible chemistry)
    -Ripper Stefan
    -the return of our Damon (you know, cynical, wild…)
    -Vicki, a lot of people hate her, but I like her
    -Jack Coleman and Sebastian Roché
    -hopefully the returns of Katherine and Elijah

2. Danielle H. says:

Yay, it’s here! Will be excited all day for this! Sounds like it’s going to be a good season; really good and well explained interview and a bit more info then we usually get from Plec, IMO. Thanks!

3. dref22 says:

Jack Coleman!

4. dena says:

we will see

5. Jamie says:

So excited! Finally some real progression and development with Damon and Elena. Ripper Stefan is going to be so much fun to watch, I can already tell. Definitely looking forward to how Tyler and Caroline’s relationship plays out as well.

6. M says:

Tyler/Caroline! <3

I hope TBTB realize that besides the main triangle, this is where the heart and hotness lay on the show…and while I wouldn't mind if Matt patched things up with Tyler/Caroline, I hope they never force a romance with Matt/Caroline ever again. That ship has sailed. He had his chance. After the Vicki thing, give him a new love interest if they have to go there at all.

Also, I figured Klaus would be interested in them. I mean a vampire-werewolf having an intimate relationship?! It's gonna be like a godsend for him. I just hope they avoid any Twilight-like comparisons.

• Steph says:

Ooh, I didn’t even think about Klaus being interested in the whole Tyler/Caroline, vampire/werewolf thing. I bet he’d definitely be interested in that since he wants so badly to make hybrids. Hmmmm.

7. Doug N says:

I don’t understand why any time or stories are worthwhile for a TV show with a rating of about 2.0. I mean, really, it’s just hype on a show that hardly anyone watches except a small niche on the CW. There are much more popular TV shows that people would read about then this shoe. Just another overhead CW show that moat people care little about. If you’re going to write about shows with few viewers, the least you could do is pick a show that is really good and needs viewers…not this junk.

• Kim says:

If you don’t watch it then stop reading the related articles and making stupid comments. The CW is a smaller network that not everyone has. The ratings on that channel are always lower than shows on the major networks. We’re here because we’re fans.

• shaun says:

Wow,here’s a hater folks!You should know by now VD has a huge internet following and all these ”viewer” numbers are rubbish and not indicative of true fan support.

It is a well made show,unfortunately it was the CW who made it otherwise it would likely have more viewers.Kinda glad it’s on the CW so it doesn’t have to deal with the ”major” networks rubbish politics!!

• Kim says:

Really???? Well what show’s would you like to discuss because I am fairly certain there is a blog someplace with shows that you enjoy, now go away and leave us to discuss our favorite show!!

8. Dominique says:

All I read was a probable return for Elijah, so I’m happy!

9. Fraol abdulaziz says:

I like it dude ..what would stefan do abt demans decision

10. Lydia says:

Needs more Bonnie.

11. SK says:

Only thing is, vampires can’t reproduce. So only werewolves can become hybrids by being turned into a vampire. A vampire can’t become a werewolf unless they were born from a wolf bloodline originally. (as far as we know, of course)

12. jb says:

It would be cool if Klaus’ interest in Caroline and Tyler became fixed because those two are in a physical relationship, and somehow (maybe if Klaus fed them both his blood) they were able to (however unknowingly on their parts) reproduce naturally. Maybe that’s how Klaus could create his army/family of hybrids if other ways don’t succeed very well.

13. Ashley says:

No Matt/Caroline ever again please. I really don’t see the need for a triangle at all at this point, beyond Matt realizing he lost a good thing. He’s dumped Caroline twice now, enough is enough.

• ChrisGa says:

Completely agree, plus Matt’s the most boring character on the show and Caroline and Tyler have some palpable chemistry going on…well Tyler could probably be fire with anyone, but you get the gist….

14. Linda says:

Daniel Gillies your best decision to keep him; Jenna should never ever have been gotten rid of ever, not impressed Vicki is back (annoying) – Anna is more likeable, Matt get rid of him if you cant have a better storyline for him he deserves better

15. Sinoxolo says:

Oh guyz m so inlove with the vampire diaries… I actuallt want to be a vampire too

16. Anee says:

I’m kind of already over the ghost side of it… I mean, I loved Vicki and Anna, but I’m hoping that they aren’t going to be permanent fixtures in Jeremy’s life, especially because its more stress on top of everything else he’s gone through. I also can’t wait to see Alaric and everybody else’s view on the Damon and Elena relationship, I’m hoping to see a lot more of that, and of course I’m very curious about whether Stefan can regain his humanity after returning to his ‘ripper’ stage… I wonder what part Bex will play in this.. ?

17. Hay says:

STEFAN & ELENA<3
    I can not watch this 3 season, I'm like sad whenever I don't see them kiss! They need to get back together, SHE CAN NOT BE WITH DAMON! I would stop watching the show if that happened.. Honestly. I think a lot of people would, Stefan and Elena are meant for each other and he needs to return and kiss her already! That is what I am waiting for, & no for her and Damon to be sneakingly looking and flirting! No she has to be with Stefan<3

18. Tina says:

STEFAN AND ELENA NEED TO BE TOGETHER! PLEASE GIVE THEM THERE LOVE BACK !

19. Mary says:

Damon and Elena has to happen this season!

20. paige says:

look ok please just let damon and elena go out with eachother, its been way too long now and i have watched and watched them,, now its time for them to be together….its not fair on damonn

21. Kristi says:

What is going on? Damon is being such a jerk, and I hate stefan! I really want Elana and Damon to get together, but if they keep having Damon being like how he’s been the last few episodes of season 3, then maybe she’s better off without the both of them! If Stefan and Elana get back together, I am going to hate it because Stefan is no better than Damon, he’s worse. He pretends to be better, but he can’t even have one drop of human blood without turning into the ripper. Please, ELANA AND DAMON!!!

22. vee says:

Elena and damon need to happen for real now. It would make sense if she were to get bac with stephan because she clears has deep feelings for damon and damon deserves some love