Premiere Ratings: Survivor Drops, Up All Night Delivers, Cratered H8R Hobbles Top Model

NBC’s Up All Night gave birth to some very solid numbers with its Wednesday “sneak preview,” in part thanks to having the America’s Got Talent finale (14 mil/3.5) as a lead-in.

Starring Christina Applegate, Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph, the new comedy drew 10.9 million total viewers and a 3.7 demo rating. For comparison sake, NBC’s Outlaw netted 11.5 million viewers and a 2.5 rating during the first half-hour of its own Wednesdays-at-10 “sneak peek” a year ago.

The bad news for NBC comes courtesy of its other Wednesday launch: Leading out of Up All Night, Free Agents experienced a free-fall, holding onto just 6.3 million viewers while managing a 2.1 rating — perhaps more indicative of the neighborhood both newbies can expect their Nielsens to live starting next week, where they’ll occupy the 8 o’clock hour.

Wednesday’s other series premiere, The CW’s H8R, Snooki’d a mere 1.34 million viewers and a Shedding for the Wedding-esque 0.6 demo rating. That weak tablesetter pretty much fated America’s Next Top Model (1.9 mil/0.9) to plunge more than 30 percent in both measures from its year-ago premiere.

Elsewhere on the night, Survivor: South Pacific‘s 90-minute premiere averaged 10.6 million viewers and a 3.4 demo rating, down 12 percent from Nicaragua‘s year-ago opener (12 mil/3.9). The Big Brother finale then followed with 7.77 million viewers and a 2.9 rating.

What were you tuned into this Wednesday? Next week, X Factor, the ABC comedies, Criminal Minds, Ted Danson’s CSI, Harry’s Law, the “new” SVU and ABC’s frothy Revenge enter the mix!

1. Gwendie says:

How are the ratings for The Talk now that CBS screwed Leah and Holly?

• The WB Frog says:

Ratings are the same as before CBS screwed Leah and Holly. Really, who thought CBS Daytime wouldn’t screw someone else???

2. Amy says:

I liked Up All Night and will keep up with it (at least through DVR). I didn’t really care for Free Agents.

• davey says:

After 15 minutes of not even cracking a smile, my roommate and I switched from “Up All Night” to try and finish Season 3 of Fringe before next week’s season 4 premiere! Didn’t even try to catch “Fre Agents”.

• KevyB says:

I think that’s what hurt Free Agents! Up All Night has a good cast but the pilot was laugh-free. Seriously generic. I’m sure many people tuned out during it and didn’t bother with Free Agents, which was quite good for a pilot. Up All Night is going to end up killing both shows.

3. Tvwach says:

Seriously! I bet the CW regrets putting this at 8 instead of 9 after Antm. Not in the show, because we all knew what to expect, but with the network in general! Come on CW! You need to step it up, hopefully that Ostroff is gone now we can start building a real network, they better pray VD and SC hit big tonight if they want any chance at revelancy.

4. Ryan says:

My prediction is that H8R will be the first cancelled show of the Fall season

• Tee says:

I don’t know how a show that sounded that dumb got made to begin with. Then again, I seem to say that about a lot of shows. (Same Name is the first one off the top of my head in a very long list.)

5. Ben says:

I liked both of NBC’s new comedies, but preferred Free Agents (although not as good as the original), so it’s a shame it fell so much.

6. TinCan says:

I agree, I watched this mess (Up All Night) only because it followed AGT, and I stayed for Free Agents which I liked better.

Having said that, next week I’ll be watching X-Factor, Harry’s Law and Modern Family (DVR 2 and watch one live) and I won’t miss Up All Night or Free Agents at all.

• ht says:

you like harry’s law? you’ve lost all credibility in my book. I love Kathy Bates, too. But who needs another wacky for the sake of being wacky David E Kelley show?

• TinCan says:

Actually my point was I wouldn’t be watching Up All Night or Free Agents.

And yes, I like the full cast of Harry’s Law. I don’t care so much about the wacky courtroom, but I do enjoy the wacky inter-relationships among the total cast!

• KevyB says:

Yeah, and that was unnecessarily rude. Sometimes David E Kelley can do good tv, and they’ve gotten rid of some of the dead weight castwise, so I am curious to see whether the show has imporved or not.

7. Dennis says:

Next week will be an ABC night for me with The Middle, Modern Family and Revenge cantwait!

8. Cloudy Knight says:

Actually preferred Free Agents to Up All Night. At least FA has somewhere to go with the plot. UAN seems like it will be rather one-note, and a waste of good actors.

• Joanna says:

Totally agree with you. I love Christina Applegate but not loving this show. Will watch the next 2 or 3 episodes to see if it improves, but Free Agents was a much better show.

• Ella says:

I wasn’t expecting to like Free Agents more than Up All Night, but it surprised me. Maybe I just can’t relate to UAN…but I think even if I could, I still wouldn’t find it that funny. I’ll be giving FA a shot, and dumping UAN.

9. Heather says:

What about the Big Brother Finale?

10. Tamara says:

I watched Up All Night and Free Agents. Thought they were both terrible.

11. XK says:

Of the two, I preferred Free Agents to Up All Night. I found Maya Rudolph’s character wildly unfunny, and the pilot seemed very one-note.

• davey says:

I agree about Maya Rudolph’s character being ridiculously unfunny! I was waiting for something – ANYTHING to laugh at….but nothing!

12. Bryan says:

Made it through Up All Night. Likable enough stars and tons of potential but they’ve got some work to do. I think I smiled once. No laugh out loud moments and a lame subplot about the Cleanse. There is potential though. I believe Arnett and Applegate in their roles.

13. Sean says:

I’ve stopped watching Survivor because last season was more about proselytising religion than anything else. It’s always bothered me that Survivor rarely has fair portrayals of minorities and gays… but the religion thing just put me over the edge. Every season it’s just gotten more prevalent. And they continue to cast more and more caricatures.

And before folks start the tirade, I’m not anti-religious. I am simply not interested in spending my limited free time on it. So I turn off my television.

• marymoon says:

Actually, on last night’s show, they showed a gay man who seemed normal and very sweet… I was shocked to see a potentially normal gay man on tv…

14. Bryan says:

Forgot to mention, I made it through five minutes of Free Agents. Unbearable. It will be among the first series’ cancelled.

15. NickC says:

Agreed…Up all Night was crap.It will tank next week.#s with nothing against it is nothing at all.

16. tv watcher says:

I found ‘up all night’ like every other Lorne Michaels vehicle.. an idea with potential but then horribly executed. I just couldnt finish the show. (and i still dont understand the Will Arnett love – he always strike me as one-note and boring).

Free Agents was ..ehh ok.Not great but will watch again because it looks like it has potential, primarily because of the two leads. But Ihave a feeling it’s a one season show. Just dont see how long they can drag the story along. There is no will they / wont they. They did, and now what?

17. SK says:

I watched Up All Night, but I didn’t like it. It wasn’t really that funny, they need more characters, and the crazy co-worker was kind of annoying. I might DVR it next week, but not likely.

18. tj says:

I love Survivor!!!!

19. Liz says:

I really enjoyed Up All Night – but then again, I’ll watch anything with Will Arnett in it (I even stuck with Running Wilde, which was TERRIBLE, but I just wanted to see Arnett on a semi-regular basis).

20. Tee says:

Up All Night – what a waste of a funny cast.

21. Vittoria says:

I actually enjoyed UAN, the plot has potential and with some fixes I think it will be a good comedy to waste 20 minutes with. Maya Rudolph was good but her character should lose some of that “caricature-sque” traits because sometimes she was just trying too hard. Arnett on the contrary has been a pleasant surprise, I was quite annoyed by him last year in “Running wilde” but this character suits him well.
    I think I’ll stick around for a while.

22. kevin says:

H8R and FREE AGENTS: very bad start. UP ALL NIGHT has plenty to laugh about.

23. Sam says:

I actually watched H8R last night and it was possibly the worst thing I’ve ever seen on television.

24. Ikitty says:

I lOved Up All Night. I thought Mya Rudolph was hilarious. I will find a way to tune into this one on Wednesdays but it would be tougher if they moved it to thursdays once they cancel Whitney which I’m pretty sure will happen (pretty quickly from what I’ve heard about it).

25. Hols says:

I think Up All Night and Free Agents will be two very early victims of the Canceled-Hammer unless NBC is so invested in Up All Night due to its cast that they move it around. It’s on one of the tougher nights; for such an awesome cast, the buzz is kinda “Meh”; and even with the lead-in of America’s Got Talent, it did worse than “Outlaw”… as in, that Jimmy Smits show that no one remembers and I actually had to wikipedia to recall it was about the Supreme Court justice who goes back to being a lawyer.

• Hols says:

Although, UAN did very, very well in the magic 18 to 49 demo, so maybe I’m wrong and it will be a hit among a coveted demographic.

26. David Alan says:

I thought Free Agents was GREAT! I will be watching every week. Great writing.

27. Servonut says:

If the Buffy fans can rally for Anthony Stewart Head on Free Agents like they did for Ringers this week, it’ll stick around for a while. I’ve got my fingers crossed. As far as Up All Night, if Maya can tone it down a bit, I think people will come around.

• Volcfom says:

Anthony Steward Head was such a nice surprise! I liked Free Agents and will be happy when it goes to it’s normal time – too late for me!

28. Danielle H. says:

Reality shows on the CW rarely fare well; didn’t really expect this one to. And perhaps people didn’t tune in for ANTM b/c it’s gone on too long and they are getting sick of it??

No worries for VD or SC; they will get ratings.

29. SRS says:

Bryan, the reason you are seeing the caricatures on Survivor more and more is that they are no longer using the video entries to find people to compete. If you have also noticed everyone is (for the most part) very good looking. It is because they are using Casting Companies to look for people to fit their purposes and most of the people are from California and good looking.
    It isn’t like the first few seasons when it was all normal people chosen from videos and searches around the country.
    Amazing Race has become the same way, where they are getting Cheerleaders and former Survivor stars etc. to compete. It is sad and I have lost interest because the games aren’t the same.
    Free Agents was annoying. Won’t watch it.

• Servonut says:

SRS is right, Big Brother (with the exception of perhaps Adam this season) is doing the exact same thing. Its rife with diary room tampering and competitions that are tailor-made for certain contestants.

30. Ashley says:

I enjoyed “Up All Night” – it wasn’t brilliant, per say, but it had enough laughs and potential to hold my attention for a few more episodes. Hey, it took a few episodes for “Community” to grow into the can’t-miss show it is today; “Up All Night” has similar potential.

31. Terry says:

I wanted to like both of these shows, because they feature actors I enjoy, but I didn’t laugh a single time during either show. I have seen and heard it all before. They were trying too hard to be funny in Up All Night, and it just wasn’t working. Don’t know if I will give them another shot or not.

32. Remote Patrolled says:

H8R is a good idea on paper but just can’t sustain a series – they’ll run out of ‘celebs’ and the show is essentially the same each week. Plus knowing The CW they’ll over-produce the heck out of it…!

• Really? says:

A bunch of morons who’ve gotten rich acting like morons on TV berate regular people for calling them morons. In what universe is H8R ‘a good idea on paper’?

33. terry says:

“Up all night” was so bad that people didn’t even bother to stay and watch “Free agents” which was much better.

34. Crystal says:

I like Up All Night and Free Agents. I will keep watching.

35. John says:

I didn’t like Up all Night. It is already off my DVR lineup. It has a great cast but a very weak plotline. It absolutely wastes a great talent like Maya Rudolph in a dumbed down Oprah-esque role. I thought the Playboy club was a real delight but that ranked low…oh well.