Scoop: Mindy Kaling Gets Major Office Promotion — But There's a Twist!

Get More: Contract Talks, News, Scoop

No, she’s not replacing Michael Scott as the new boss, but Mindy Kaling is getting a nice promotion on The Office this season — albeit behind the scenes.

After lengthy negotiations, the triple threat has inked a new one-year deal with NBC that has her continuing her Office role as unhinged sexpot Kelly and being elevated to an executive producer.

Office Spoiler Alert: Who Else is Expecting?!

Kaling started out on The Office as a producer and was promoted to a co-executive producer in in 2008. During that time, she was responsible for penning some of the show’s most memorable episodes, most notably Jim and Pam’s Emmy nominated wedding ep “Niagara” (co-written by fellow EP Greg Daniels).

News of Kaling’s deal comes less than a week before The Office is set to launch its transitional eighth season.

Office Scoops and Spoilers are Running 24/7 on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Thoughts? Relieved Kaling is sticking around? Hit the comments!

Comments (48)

• YAY! I *heart* Kelly (and Mindy)!

Comment by Aprilcot26 – September 15, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wait does that mean she was working on season 8 without a contract? that’s nice of her

Comment by Joe – September 15, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is great for Mindy. I have some questions. Isn’t executive producer and co-executive producer the same thing. What does losing the “co” mean exactly?

Comment by Tasha – September 15, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its like assistant to the regional manager vs. assistant regional manager.

Comment by JesusMcChrist – September 15, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or assistant to the regional manager

Comment by BeeSA – September 15, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you for that comment. I don’t normally laugh at stuff people post, but that hit just the right spot!

Comment by Cindi – September 15, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s like being a co-manager, and watching The Office we all know how well that works out :)

No all jokes aside she just has a higher degree of responsibility, creative input and control over the final product as well as a bigger paycheque. She deserves it though, she has worked on The Office and created some of the greatest episodes. She doesn’t take the spotlight and she has producing and screenplay writing experience within the film industry.

Congrats!

Comment by Owen Russell – September 15, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this means that she will be the
      “Assistant to the Co-Regional Executive Producer”.

Comment by Bill Melchior – September 15, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • An extra zero.

Comment by Troy – September 15, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it means she makes more money and gets to whoop up on underlings?

Comment by Magic Elf – September 15, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I recall correctly, she was only under contract as an actress when S8 started production.

Comment by JH – September 15, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mindy/Kelly. She is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Good for her. Though the one-year, is that just part of standard contracts or does that mean they think the show will be over after this year?

Comment by Amy – September 15, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am officially done with this show. Not only did Steve Carell leave, but they decided to push the show even further by adding in WAY too many new characters and trying to put the spotlight on THEM ALL. It’s nothing like what it once was in the first few seasons – when it was actually hilarious. Not only that, but they have taken WAY too long to reveal the new branch manager.

I don’t even tivo the show anymore because it’s so bad.

Comment by anon – September 15, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think its better every year

Comment by Pau – September 15, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is better every year. Steve was great but the show has such a capable ensemble cast and such imaginative writing that it’ll be just as good without him. I haven’t been so completely happy with a TV show since Twin Peaks.

Comment by Jonathan – September 15, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed! I love this show! And while I watch many scripted shows, this is the only scripted my husband will watch on a no-premium network–because the writing is that good.

Comment by Josie Brown, author THE BABY PLANNER – September 19, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was a bit doubtful with the new characters coming in especially ‘Andy’ but he grew on me and the interaction with Dwight is great!

Comment by Tina Haigh – September 19, 2011 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t disagree more. Only the Office and the Simpson’s always give me at least one good belly laugh. And they only get better. James Spader will be brilliant, if his first appearance is an indicator. And they slow transition is tantalysing.

Comment by Deanne – September 15, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think The Office is very good anymore. I mostly stopped watching last year except I did watch Steve Carell’s last episodes. I think Mindy’s great though. Good for her.

Comment by AAMindy – September 15, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s only been SEVEN episodes since Michael announced he was leaving at the end of “Garage Sale” – some people have no patience at all.

Comment by DJ – September 16, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one smart cookie!

Comment by MK – September 15, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooooo happy for her. I was scared she was gonna leave midway through the season, not having a contract written. Can’t wait for her book in a few months!

Comment by Josh – September 15, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats Minday.
    You deserve it!

Comment by Peter – September 15, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she worked on “Niagara”, then yes!!! I’m so excited Mindy is staying! She’s great for the show, and her character is one of the main reasons I watch the show!

Comment by Lou – September 15, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats, Mindy! You rock!

Comment by april-ann – September 15, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amenamen amenamenamen u hit it EXACTLY

Comment by Mike – September 15, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Co-Executive producer is just a step above producer. It basically means you have creative control over certain episodes, but only under the direction of the “real” Exec Producer, so this is a pretty big promotion but she has written and produced some of the best episodes, so the only question is why it took so long.

Comment by Burrito – September 15, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supervising Producer is the level between producer and co-executive producer.

Comment by Johnny R. – September 15, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does that mean that Mindy’s (richly deserved) promtion to Executive Producer now has at the same level as Paul Lieberstein and BJ Novak (who got promoted last year), or is she the second-in-command on the show, ahead of BJ and reporting only to Paul, because she’s a full EP as opposed to a co-EP?

Comment by Ben – September 15, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly the few first season were I think the best because of the constant love challenge that faced Jim and Pam. But the newer seasons are still hilarious and I love quoting them. It doesn’t matter who they add in the show because the humor of the show is undeniable. Love the show congrats to mindy!

Comment by Corynn – September 15, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy is a huge part of the show – Kelly really rounds out the cast and I love how this character has been developed over the years. She’s hysterical.

This promotion is well-deserved and I hope that Mindy is able to help keep the show funny, and KEEP IT GOING! We LOVE The Office!

Comment by Russ H – September 15, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’ll be the guy grumbling in the corner on this news. I’ve found Mindy’s approach to the show in recent years to be way too over the top and sitcommy. I’d bet anything it was her idea to give Kevin kleenex boxes for shoes in ‘Niagara’.

Comment by Sad fan – September 15, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am pleased that another cast member with possible elfin heritage got promoted. Kelly makes me laugh, I don’t know and I don’t care, she just does. What, you think you’re so funny?

Comment by Magic Elf – September 15, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for her! This season promises to be interesting even though we will miss our beloved Steve Carrell. All of our “true” office fans appreciate the show for it’s humor no matter who’s in the cast. Dwight, Jim, Andy- these people will continue to make us laugh for seasons to come. I’m sincerely looking forward to this season and am excited to see what they have planned. Congrats to Kelly!

Comment by Chris Travers – September 15, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If her best credit was for Niagara, an episode theoretically building up since season one, then I’m not really impressed. I think this is awesome for her and her career, but we’ll all have to see how season 8 pans out if this series will gain the steam it once had.

Comment by Santos – September 15, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well deserved. Congrats to Mindy.

I think the show went through some growing pains but will be back & strong. One of the best eps was the one after SC departure. And the finale was like old-school Office where you felt uncomfortable.

Comment by Anna – September 15, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well deserved. Congrats to Mindy.

Comment by Anna – September 15, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has become way too self righteous. Creative types refer to this as ‘masturbation.’

Comment by peter – September 15, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess im the only one who finds her character annoying. At least spader joined the cast thatll be worth watching.

Comment by Fj – September 15, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I can’t stand her. I don’t mind her being part of the show as long as she is only writing because she is talented in that regard but when I have to hear her voice or look at her…ugh….

Comment by Justin – September 15, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mindy! So excited she got a promotion.

Comment by CB – September 15, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love you, Jonathan. Tying 2 of my favorite shows like that proves to me you’re my soulmate. Add Arrested Development to your statement and I’ll marry you tonight (after my 30 Rock repeat airs, of course!)

Comment by Melissa – September 15, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She didn’t start out as a producer, she started out as a staff writer. How much do you know about how tv production works, tvline.com?

Comment by lisa – September 15, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for mindy! She more than deserves it

Comment by Amy – September 15, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy’s character would’ve been interesting in the role of the new boss. Kelly is actual very similar to Michael. Similar but different.

Comment by Kplan – September 15, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only she was one-tenth as funny as she thinks she is…

Comment by DJ Rogue – September 16, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show reminds me of the Office I used to work in back in 1964. The work was so boring that we kept ourselves going by practical jokes and skiving all day long. Some of it is so true to life and I love watching! Keep them coming!

Comment by Tina Haigh – September 19, 2011 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post