Scoop: Mindy Kaling Gets Major Office Promotion — But There's a Twist!

No, she’s not replacing Michael Scott as the new boss, but Mindy Kaling is getting a nice promotion on The Office this season — albeit behind the scenes.

After lengthy negotiations, the triple threat has inked a new one-year deal with NBC that has her continuing her Office role as unhinged sexpot Kelly and being elevated to an executive producer.

Office Spoiler Alert: Who Else is Expecting?!

Kaling started out on The Office as a producer and was promoted to a co-executive producer in in 2008. During that time, she was responsible for penning some of the show’s most memorable episodes, most notably Jim and Pam’s Emmy nominated wedding ep “Niagara” (co-written by fellow EP Greg Daniels).

News of Kaling’s deal comes less than a week before The Office is set to launch its transitional eighth season.

Office Scoops and Spoilers are Running 24/7 on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Thoughts? Relieved Kaling is sticking around? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, News, Scoop

1. Aprilcot26 says:

YAY! I *heart* Kelly (and Mindy)!

2. Joe says:

wait does that mean she was working on season 8 without a contract? that’s nice of her

3. Tasha says:

That is great for Mindy. I have some questions. Isn’t executive producer and co-executive producer the same thing. What does losing the “co” mean exactly?

4. JH says:

If I recall correctly, she was only under contract as an actress when S8 started production.

5. Amy says:

I love Mindy/Kelly. She is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Good for her. Though the one-year, is that just part of standard contracts or does that mean they think the show will be over after this year?

6. anon says:

I am officially done with this show. Not only did Steve Carell leave, but they decided to push the show even further by adding in WAY too many new characters and trying to put the spotlight on THEM ALL. It’s nothing like what it once was in the first few seasons – when it was actually hilarious. Not only that, but they have taken WAY too long to reveal the new branch manager.

I don’t even tivo the show anymore because it’s so bad.

• Pau says:

i think its better every year

• Jonathan says:

It is better every year. Steve was great but the show has such a capable ensemble cast and such imaginative writing that it’ll be just as good without him. I haven’t been so completely happy with a TV show since Twin Peaks.

• Tina Haigh says:

I was a bit doubtful with the new characters coming in especially ‘Andy’ but he grew on me and the interaction with Dwight is great!

• Deanne says:

I couldn’t disagree more. Only the Office and the Simpson’s always give me at least one good belly laugh. And they only get better. James Spader will be brilliant, if his first appearance is an indicator. And they slow transition is tantalysing.

• AAMindy says:

I don’t think The Office is very good anymore. I mostly stopped watching last year except I did watch Steve Carell’s last episodes. I think Mindy’s great though. Good for her.

• DJ says:

There’s only been SEVEN episodes since Michael announced he was leaving at the end of “Garage Sale” – some people have no patience at all.

7. MK says:

one smart cookie!

8. Josh says:

Sooooo happy for her. I was scared she was gonna leave midway through the season, not having a contract written. Can’t wait for her book in a few months!

9. Peter says:

Congrats Minday.
    You deserve it!

10. Lou says:

If she worked on “Niagara”, then yes!!! I’m so excited Mindy is staying! She’s great for the show, and her character is one of the main reasons I watch the show!

11. april-ann says:

Congrats, Mindy! You rock!

12. Mike says:

Amenamen amenamenamen u hit it EXACTLY

13. Burrito says:

Co-Executive producer is just a step above producer. It basically means you have creative control over certain episodes, but only under the direction of the “real” Exec Producer, so this is a pretty big promotion but she has written and produced some of the best episodes, so the only question is why it took so long.

• Johnny R. says:

Supervising Producer is the level between producer and co-executive producer.

• Ben says:

Does that mean that Mindy’s (richly deserved) promtion to Executive Producer now has at the same level as Paul Lieberstein and BJ Novak (who got promoted last year), or is she the second-in-command on the show, ahead of BJ and reporting only to Paul, because she’s a full EP as opposed to a co-EP?

14. Corynn says:

Honestly the few first season were I think the best because of the constant love challenge that faced Jim and Pam. But the newer seasons are still hilarious and I love quoting them. It doesn’t matter who they add in the show because the humor of the show is undeniable. Love the show congrats to mindy!

15. Russ H says:

Mindy is a huge part of the show – Kelly really rounds out the cast and I love how this character has been developed over the years. She’s hysterical.

This promotion is well-deserved and I hope that Mindy is able to help keep the show funny, and KEEP IT GOING! We LOVE The Office!

16. Sad fan says:

Well, I’ll be the guy grumbling in the corner on this news. I’ve found Mindy’s approach to the show in recent years to be way too over the top and sitcommy. I’d bet anything it was her idea to give Kevin kleenex boxes for shoes in ‘Niagara’.

17. Magic Elf says:

I am pleased that another cast member with possible elfin heritage got promoted. Kelly makes me laugh, I don’t know and I don’t care, she just does. What, you think you’re so funny?

18. Good for her! This season promises to be interesting even though we will miss our beloved Steve Carrell. All of our “true” office fans appreciate the show for it’s humor no matter who’s in the cast. Dwight, Jim, Andy- these people will continue to make us laugh for seasons to come. I’m sincerely looking forward to this season and am excited to see what they have planned. Congrats to Kelly!

19. Santos says:

If her best credit was for Niagara, an episode theoretically building up since season one, then I’m not really impressed. I think this is awesome for her and her career, but we’ll all have to see how season 8 pans out if this series will gain the steam it once had.

20. Anna says:

Well deserved. Congrats to Mindy.

I think the show went through some growing pains but will be back & strong. One of the best eps was the one after SC departure. And the finale was like old-school Office where you felt uncomfortable.

21. Anna says:

Well deserved. Congrats to Mindy.

22. peter says:

This show has become way too self righteous. Creative types refer to this as ‘masturbation.’

23. Fj says:

Guess im the only one who finds her character annoying. At least spader joined the cast thatll be worth watching.

• Justin says:

I agree with you. I can’t stand her. I don’t mind her being part of the show as long as she is only writing because she is talented in that regard but when I have to hear her voice or look at her…ugh….

24. CB says:

I love Mindy! So excited she got a promotion.

25. Melissa says:

I love you, Jonathan. Tying 2 of my favorite shows like that proves to me you’re my soulmate. Add Arrested Development to your statement and I’ll marry you tonight (after my 30 Rock repeat airs, of course!)

26. lisa says:

She didn’t start out as a producer, she started out as a staff writer. How much do you know about how tv production works, tvline.com?

27. Amy says:

Yay for mindy! She more than deserves it

28. Kplan says:

Mindy’s character would’ve been interesting in the role of the new boss. Kelly is actual very similar to Michael. Similar but different.

29. DJ Rogue says:

If only she was one-tenth as funny as she thinks she is…

30. Tina Haigh says:

The show reminds me of the Office I used to work in back in 1964. The work was so boring that we kept ourselves going by practical jokes and skiving all day long. Some of it is so true to life and I love watching! Keep them coming!