Glee in Season 3: Who Should Brittany Date?

Season 2 of Glee brought a lot of romantic turmoil for Brittany S. Pierce (Heather Morris). There was a relationship with Artie that abruptly ended when he called her “stupid” (plus his subsequent efforts to win her back). There was an ongoing dalliance with Santana that was left with an ambiguous, friendship-affirming encounter at their lockers. And heading into Season 3, it seems like anything is possible for the dimly hilarious cheerleader that pretty much everyone adores.

Take our poll below to tell us who should be the object of Brittany’s affection in the new season, then hit the comments to justify your vote and/or suggest additional possibilities. And for all my Glee recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Tanya says:

Santana & Brittany – you just can’t have one without the other. So I voted for Santana.

I think this is what most of the critics and audience are expecting/wanting to happen. It would be appalling continuity if it didn’t, but this is RIB so I guess anything is possible…needless to say their writing disappointed many last season.

They’d make a great, hilarious couple and I’ve always thought so since watching season 1. Plus too they are great with the drama too as proven with season 2, some of those scenes were heart-wrenching.

No offense to some of the people out there who liked Artie/Brittany (although I recall reading nothing but bad things about this pairing, they were randomly thrown together despite the fact that they barely spoke in season 1), but I get the appeal of them (paraplegic dates a dancer – there’s an irony) etc.

But you can’t even compare Artie/Brittany scenes to Brittany/Santana scenes, I can’t even recall a memorable Brittany/Artie couple moment, whereas I can recall several Brittany/Santana moments from the top of my head.

Overall? They’re just a better scripted, better acted couple – not to mention their complimentary characterization. I love the ying/yang element to their personalities and I love how their walls come down when they are around each other.

They just make sense, so I’m very much looking forward to them the most this season (along with Rachel’s mom returning!)

2. jey says:

What kind of question is that? Obviously Santana

3. Mon says:

So, the people saying that Santana manipulated Brittany never watched “Duets”, “Never Been Kissed” or “Special Education”? Because Artie manipulated Brittany in those episodes. He wasn’t the good boyfriend some people say he was. Santana didn’t manipulate Brittany. Brittany cheated on Artie because she wanted and she knew perfectly well what she was doing. None of them are saints, but if we’re talking about who’s best for Brittany, Santana is the only logical option.

4. Ari says:

Santana, Santana or Santana.

5. kathy says:

For santana, Brittany might be a reason to come out, and if you’re in for a fling you wouldn’t tell someone you love her. She actually put on the Lebanese shirt and sang songbird to her, and landslide with her. I wouldn’t do that just for sex. Besides that, they already had sex so that can’t be the main reason. Come on, are you blind? This must be true love. Endgame. Period.

6. Sara says:

Sorry, the only name i see in this poll is Santana.

7. just sayin says:

That leprechaun better go away before all fandom ends him

8. Louise says:

If Brittana isn’t on, I don’t even know. I’m probably a lot older than most commenting here but isn’t this how tv is suppposed to work? We’ve invested our time, our emotions, we need it to work out don’t we? Just so that something does? Give us our happy ending. Please?

• M says:

Yes so give us Bartie

• theveiledfairy says:

I would say that as a collective group, having been a part of the Glee fandom since its first debut in May of 2009, that Brittana shippers have invested in their ship more than many others. In the beginning, we only had backgrounds moments and throw-away lines that teased something bigger. And a ship was built from that. The show has given it credence since then, with a legitimate relationship built on love.
        A lot of young lesbians have come to depend on Brittana as an expression of what they’re going through. Many older lesbians, like myself, see it as an expression of what we’ve been through. And as a thoroughly underrepresented group, we’ve put a lot into Brittana as a representation of US. The whole reason Brittana got anything real was because of fan investment and support.
        We’re put a lot more into Brittana than people have into Bartie.

• F says:

Where would Santana be if Bartie happened? Why shouldn’t she get HER happy ending?

• theveiledfairy says:

That’s how it usually works. I mean, look at shows like Friends and how they handled Ross and Rachel. They jerked them around, and they had them date/marry other people. But in the end, it was always Ross and Rachel because they were just meant to be together. We see the same trope play out and time and time again.
      That’s not to say that RIB won’t stop all over anything they want, but I feel like at least Brad has been consistent in promising and promoting Brittana.

9. marti says:

who the make this question? like..are you serious? obviously Santana. Brittana is endgame. just saying..

10. Charlie says:

Santana, obvious answer is obvious.

11. Lady tubbs says:

DUH I PICKED SAN BECAUSE BRITTANAS END GAME

12. Megan says:

It’s really quite obvious why the poll is going in the direction it is. Santana and Brittany give hope to so many closeted young lesbians. They are really the only realistic option.

I am biased, of course. Because I dislike Artie (and Finn, for the record) as characters. I believe Artie is a terrible human being and a terrible boyfriend. I understand he has a disability complex, even if they never really explained it in so many words, but he should have learned from his mistakes by now. But he doesn’t. He is CONSTANTLY objectifying women. When Tina and Artie broke up, it became clear. He’s done the same thing to Brittany, but they haven’t spelled it out like they did with Tina.

• chimi says:

Just adding to that: he’s also done it with Santana. Remember when he asked her about the ostrich eggs she was smuggling in her bra?

13. My ship is better than yours :) says:

Y’all Barfie shippers are just jealous.

Brittana is so on.

Also Angels.

• gh says:

Rachel, is that you? I always knew you shipped Brittana.

• Rachel Berry says:

Thank you so much, it really is a pleasure. While the boys chose a selection of ship that cast an eye inward on the irresponsible life choices and sexual hunger of today’s young modern teens, we have chosen a selection of ship that speak to the nation as a whole, during these troubling times filled with a possible Santana’s new LI and unbridled ships war between Brittana and Bartie, because if there’s two things America needs right now, it’s sunshine and Brittana… Also angels.

14. Tonya says:

Bartie is on – Bartie was always on!

15. LamChops says:

See that boy with dem wheels
    He don’t feels what I feels for you

I can respect Bartie, but I still think Brittana runs deeper than Bartie does.

16. Paloma says:

Santana of course!!!

Brittana <3

17. Shrub says:

SANTANA. ALL THE WAY. Brittana is on!

18. LittleGirlBlue says:

Santana. I’m all for Brittana. Not only because of the fact they are PERFECT together, but it’s also about Sanata coming to terms with her feelings about Brittany. Kurt and Blaine helped males who might be unsure of their sexuality. I think to have Britt and Santana be a couple it would help maybe females? Hard to put into words. All in all, the males have Klaine, and the girls should have Brittana (IMO) BRITTANA baby!!

19. kay says:

Brittana is on Brittana was always on you wanna know why because Santana and Brittany are soulmates they love each other and they are so perfect for each other so Brittana are ON they were always on!!

20. Brad says:

Santana! She needs to be with Brittany forever.

21. Tamara says:

It should be the new school mate played by glee project Damien! Just like they said… Brit has a hard time understanding his accent!! That would be awesome and really funny!

22. Globey says:

Santana please.

23. dropper says:

Brittany and Santana are the only pairing on the show who exchange “I love you’s” and it actually feels real. They belong together.

24. eliza says:

The comments are so much more interesting than the poll itself. I wouldn’t mind if Brittany got paired with Finn, actually, but ultimately I think it has to be Santana. We’re not watching Glee for reality; we want happy endings, and Brittana is the happy ending. The ones who want Brittana the least seem to be the creators of the show, which is unfortunate.

25. Eli says:

obviously Santana! As if there were someone better than her for Britt. They’re perfect for each other! soul-mates, I’m so sappy

26. April says:

All I have to say is this:
    Go back to season 1, watch all of the background moments between Brittany and Santana. Then, watch Landslide and Songbird and pretty much every locker scene between them in season 2. After that, I freakin dare you to tell me they aren’t in love with each other.

27. Brittana is endgame. says:

BARTIE SUCKS. I HATE IT. BRITTANA IS IT.

28. lisa says:

the poll kind of says it all, no use arguing here.
    brittany and artie were definitely adorable together, but brittany and santana belong together, in my opinion.
    however, i would love to see her date the unicorn thingy.

29. Rainbow Dash says:

“A stuffed, plush unicorn”? You realize that unicorns have, ya know…a horn? And, well…look at the picture…no horn.

30. koopa says:

Brittany is my favorite character so as long as she gets some good storylines and songs I’ll be happy. I prefer Brittany and Santana the most because they work so well together but I also have a soft spot for Brittany and Finn. They’re both tall, dumb and adorable.

31. "A" says:

I’d say Brittana. Breaks my heart everytime I see Santana secretly glance at Britt. Plus, their personality changes when they’re around each other. Santana softens and Brittany makes sense. They make each other a better person.. And they’re soulmates!

32. Em says:

Santana. Though, I will admit, I would like to see Santana put Brittany above herself just to make it clear to everyone, even the audience what she’s willing to do for Brittany and the exceptions Brittany represents to Santana.

33. mikaela says:

Santana ♥

*(why poeple is voting for Rory??
    they don’t even know his character yet
    this is just not acceptable)*

34. Sarah says:

Santana hands down. Brittana makes so much sense and they’re so cute together. True love. : )

35. M says:

Don’t you read spoilers Bartie is on

• E says:

uhhh don’t you read spoilers? (even though half of them aren’t true):

-“They get to do some awesome songs”
      That one was by Kevin. E!online, I think.
      -And the one saying that Santana is going to clash with Rory over Brittany.

Where was the spoiler saying that Bartie was on? Oh. Right. There was none.

36. Oz says:

I think you’re all wrong. She should obviously date ME.

37. Jack says:

Really surprised no one wants to see the Brittany/Unicorn relationship or “Brunicorn”

38. B. L. Zebubba says:

I’d go with…”who cares, this show is terrible…they can’t act, can’t sing, and other than Jane Lynch, it’s unwatchable garbage.”

39. Ella says:

Artie! I genuinely love them and prefer Brit and Santana as friends anyway.

40. "A" says:

“Artie?? He’s just a stupid boy!”

oh and also, Santana Lopez for the win!

41. Kristen says:

Brittany and Santana are perfect for one another. Santana truly cares for Brittany. Enough to endure the painful process of coming out of the closet for her. They make eachother better and you are blind if you don’t see the chemistry between the two. Even since season one, it was evident that they were in love. I’m not really a fan of Artie, but I still respect him. His character needs to be developed before he can be with anyone. I do not believe that he deserves Brittany at all. Artie treated Brittany like a child, and he needs someone who can keep up with him mentally because he is very smart. I feel as though the writers were forcing Bartie down our throats, but Brittana is just so natural. I could only dream of a love like that. They are soulmates.

42. K says:

Brittany and Artie. He called her “magic,” defended her when everyone questioned why she’d be on the Brainiacs, and Brittany told Santana that with Artie they talked and it wasn’t just about sex. And though some people might argue that Artie treated Brittany like a child, he always put her feelings first. With the exception of their ridiculous breakup, these two were very sweet together and made me smile every time they were on screen.

• ahahahaha says:

*snort* You’re being sarcastic right? lol

• Allen says:

Called her “magic?” Was that before or after he picked a dirty comb off of the floor and told her THAT was magic? The Artie/Brittany relationship was chemistry free at best, paternalistic and skeevy at worst.

43. Kira says:

Santana….the only option!

44. French Fangirl says:

People supports Brittana not because they think it’s better to date your best friend but because the brittana storyline help a lot of people to come out, or how to tell one of your closest friends you love them without the fear of losing their friendship.
    But Brittany and Artie ? Who do they help ? making crippled( and slightly abusive with girls ) boys think that a popular cheerleader will give them the time of the day ?
    I may be straight, but hell, Artie treat Brittany like a toddler (She was never as cringe-worthy to watch than when Artie talked to her like a baby)and expects her to sleep with him at the end of the day ?
    Yeah I don’t really like him, and not because barfie was terrible but because I remember him comparing his disabilities with Kurt’s homosexuality in earlier episodes and how he treated Tina.

Artie needs to work on himself before being in a relationship with a lady.

45. myriadz says:

hello? Santana all the way.

46. Friendship is Magic Rob says:

But Rainbow Dash is a Pegasus pony, not a unicorn! That blooming Twilight Sparkle is trying to steal the spotlight again with her horny mare unicorn ways!

47. Ashley says:

I’m sorry how is this even a question. Brittany should be with Santana. Have any of you seen the interview where Brittany says her perfect date would be breadstix with santana,sweet lady kisses and watching sweet valley high …brittana are endgame all your arguments are invalid.

48. Fido says: