Fall TV Preview

Exclusive First Look: Charlie's Angels Says Halo to Erica Durance

Call it a match made in Heaven. As first reported by TVLine, Smallville alumna Erica Durance is set to guest-star on ABC’s new Charlie’s Angels this fall — and now we have a first look at her dangerously sexy covert agent in action.

Charlie’s Angels, starring Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights), Rachael Taylor (Grey’s Anatomy) and Annie Ilonzeh (General Hospital), bows a week from today. In an October episode, Durance plays Samantha Masters, a tough-as-nails, Glock-toting CIA operative who shares a romantic past with Bosley (Ramon Rodriguez).

Durance tells me that when the exes cross paths, “I wouldn’t necessarily call it a sexual tension, but there is definitely a tension there from having had a relationship before — and it’s not finished yet.”

Exclusive: Smallville‘s Cassidy Freeman to Recur on The Playboy Club

Check out our First Look photo (click to ZOOM), then read on for more from Durance:

Smallville‘s Erica Durance Plays Doctor (and Producer!) In New Pilot – But There’s a Catch

In the scene shown above, Bosley is angling to offer back-up to his colleagues when he gets an unlikely assist. “I end up coming along for the ride, to see what the Angels are doing and how we can best help them,” explains Durance. Along the way, “There is bickering as well,” she adds with a laugh. “And then we all get into a lot of trouble!”

ABC’s new Charlie’s Angels debuts Thursday, Sept. 22, at 8/7c.

Comments (79)

• I have a bad feeling about this show, but I will tune in just to see Erica. If they were smart she should have been cast as one of the Angels. She is great at action and comedy.

Comment by Will – September 15, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did ask Erica if she in fact went up for an ANGELS lead and she admitted no, because SMALLVILLE was still shooting at the time and she couldn’t get away.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 15, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for that info, Matt. She would’ve been a fantastic Angel – hopefully her role has room to develop and we’ll get to see her more than once on this show. I’m excited to have her back on my TV again!

Comment by emily – September 15, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • maybe kill of one of the angels mid season and have her take her place tht’d be a shock and we’d get Erica

Comment by t.t – September 15, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Kill Annie. She’s wooden as hell and has no presence on screen.

Comment by Captain – September 15, 2011 10:51 AM PDT
          • Yes, please! I plan to watch only Erica’s episode, but I’d watch all the episodes if Erica Durance were a regular cast member.

Comment by Mena – September 15, 2011 11:40 AM PDT
      • Stupid Smallville schedule! Lol. Erica looks great in that scene and she’ll be the only reason I’ll even bother watching the awful-sounding show. I just hope it doesn’t get cancelled before her episode airs!

Comment by Jude – September 15, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh my! The premiere of Charlie’s Angels was complete and utter crap with a capital S! Thank God Erica was too busy to audition for this televisual abomination. Like I said earlier – I just hope the show is on long enough for Erica’s episode to air. I may just have to turn pagan and sacrifice a chicken to the TV gods so that the show isn’t booted off too soon!!!

Comment by Jude – September 23, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With what I’m hearing about Charlie’s Angels, I’m happy she was still filming Smallville. Though I would love for her to return to the small screen, I want a meatier, better role for her. Having said that, in a cast with 3 lovely ladies, Erica Durance still outshines them.

Thank you for the sneak peek Mr. Matt Mitovich.

Comment by Jem – September 15, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Erica looks stunning. Really missing her on Smallville. Can’t wait to see her kick some ass.

Comment by Lind – September 15, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, just wow!!!
    Thanks for the Erica news and image :D

Comment by Natalie – September 15, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks good, older but good. It makes me wonder how much make up did they pile on her face in Smallville.

Comment by dee – September 15, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. An insult dressed up as a compliment. Chlark/Clana fan maybe?

Comment by Jude – September 15, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh my god, someone didn’t bow down and kiss Erica’s feet, they must be a crazy superfan who has it in for her. Give me a break.

Comment by Captain – September 15, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I understand what you are saying. She definitely looks different from her Lois Lane role. She’s still gorgeous but the makeup makes her look more mature – like the Demi Moore CA character.

Comment by Sunny – September 16, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @ Captain. Well if the shoe fits!

Comment by Jude – September 23, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ouch!

Comment by BluTwistr – September 15, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t matter if this reboot is terrible or not and what’s with all the hate? I’ve seen mixed reactions on the Internet and I don’t even care depending on the ratings for its debut. Charlie’s Angels is here to stay and it may follow the same remake sucess Hawaii Five-O did last year and it will have a tough timeslot against Big Bang Theory and Community. ANGELS better have a fighting chance so stop making excuses and tune in next week hopefully you’ll see a lot more of Erica. By the way, let’s hope ABC picks up for a “season two”.

Comment by kevin – September 15, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This time slot is a killer on ABC. Nothing has survived here. I don’t think this reboot will be in the same flavor has 5-0 (which I stopped watching after 1-2 eppys).
      I was originally going to check this show out, and then I took it off my list. I have serious doubts it will make it past it’s first season, although I feel they will air the entire first season (however many eppys that will be).
      I don’t think it’s so much hate on here as it is cynicism, for good reason too.

Comment by Danielle H. – September 15, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think there should be a comparision between Hawaii 5-0 and Charlie’s Angels. Sure, they are both remakes, so we kinda already know what the series is about, but how turn that into something relevant, worth watching? I believe it’s the casting (besides the crime-of-the-week). H5-0 had a solid cast from the start, I think everyone knew those 4 could deliver and what they could bring to the screen; it wasn’t hard to picture them together fighting crime in Hawaii: you had Daniel from LOST, Alex from Moonlight, the girl from Battlestar Galactica, and I knew Scott Caan from a few movies (and he became easily the most likable guy on the show, for me). Can you say the same about these new Angels?

Comment by Kiki – September 15, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think the cast is the issue. Saying that a cast has to be notable to survive basically undermines every successful show that started with unknowns. Was any cast memeber famous before Glee? The reason that I am cynical about this show is that I don’t think it fills a market. Hawaii 5-0 worked because it was a standard (and well done) cop show that could be easily marketed to the viewing public. Charlie’s Angels isn’t nearly as marketable. It’s a campy-sounding spy show featuring three girls who look more comfortable on a runway than a battlefield. I don’t think women are going to watch this show.

Comment by Captain – September 15, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When I mentioned the cast, I meant that these people, from H5-0 were already put under the spotlight before, some more than others and it was a (almost) safe conclusion that they could handle the job. For example, Alex had already been the lead on Moonlight, so making a bet on him as the lead on H5-0 was a no-brainer. Or Jin, I mean, Daniel had a supporting role on LOST, but he carried episodes focused on his character as well(and Sun).
          Now, think about what these 3 girls are bringing to table. You were talking about a lack of target audience. That’s where I think the casting makes a difference. If they had picked other faces, not necessarily super-uber-known people, maybe I’d give it a go. But I look at what these girls have done in the past and I just don’t see much there, they don’t grab my interest (ok, so Minka was in FNL, but fortheloveofGod, it wasn’t her presence there that made it so good). And you can argue by saying that the original Angels weren’t much to begin with – the thing is, NOW Charlie’s Angels IS something to begin with and people have expectations about what it should be, how it should look like, and what they want to watch.
          But I agree with you – it’s like they are putting it out there and hoping to God that it will stick.

Comment by Kiki – September 15, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Grrr…I get your point but as a BSG fan – the lovely Grace Park was Sharon/”Athena”/”Boomer”.

Comment by Sunny – September 16, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope it doesn’t get cancel after the first season but a lot of people will remember when the WONDER WOMAN pilot failed to pick up. Think CHARLIE’S ANGELS won’t do the same.

Comment by kevin – September 15, 2011 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great new! I so want to see Erica im my TV again! I miss her so much!
    Thanks, Matt!

Comment by Fe Rosa – September 15, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ERICA DURANCE DIVAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

AMO! AMO! AMO! GO ERICA!!!!

Comment by Juliana – September 15, 2011 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica, dear, you’re making me watch something created by Al and Miles again. I had those two morons banned from my life!

Comment by celita – September 15, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those are my sentiments exactly! After the derogatory way they treated Clark and Lois I vowed never to watch anything by those two showRUINers again. Damn Erica for making me watch another Al/Miles production!

Comment by Jude – September 15, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. To be honest I was expecting Kristin Kreuk to be cast instead of Erica Durance but I’m glad. I love ED.

Comment by Jem – September 15, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whether it is a great new show or not doesn’t really factor into whether it will be a success. America really has not taste when it comes to quality television. How else can you explain the fact that reality TV generally tops the ratings chart?

Comment by Mika – September 15, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear God, I’m going to have to watch this show now aren’t I?

Erica looks beautiful as usual. I agree that she would have been a better choice for one of the 3 angels but I imagine she was probably too busy finishing Smallville when the production/audition process started.

I got kind of a pang in my heart though when Erica said she would be “bickering” with Bosley. The only person I want to see Erica Durance bickering with is Clark Kent.

Comment by Mary – September 15, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica should’ve been cast as one of the Angels, period. But it’s good to see she’ll still be around.

Comment by Kiki – September 15, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL! We can only hope!

Comment by Alex – September 15, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH i know Erica Durance is gonna rock like always, Beautiful and Talent woman Please stay awesome.

Comment by Vane – September 15, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Erica and I like Minka, so I’ll be watching, but the buzz around this show is definitely not good.

Comment by XK – September 15, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the biggest thing I think about. This was THE most buzzed about Pilot in January and all that buzz has died. I haven’t heard much about it at all since April. That said, buzz doesn’t guarantee ratings either. How else can you explain the pitiful ratings for Ringer?

Comment by Captain – September 15, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gorgeous and talented woman!!!!
    God bless Erica Durance

Comment by woolanayu – September 15, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks great. But now I’m missing Tom Welling more than ever.
    Come back to us Tom!!!

Comment by lola – September 15, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the picture and the quotes! I’m more excited now to see the episode. Erica looks lovely as usual; she’s so sweet and so talented. I miss her a lot and it’s only been a few months. CHARLIE’S ANGELS is very fortunate to have her. Thanks again.

Comment by Georgia – September 15, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her! So excited to see her back on tv!

Comment by James – September 15, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah..I can’t wait to see her on screen again. I miss her so much!!

Comment by Cynthia – September 15, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the pic, Matt! Man, Erica looks fantastic. I SO can’t wait to have her on my screen again. She’s the only reason I’m tuning in to Charlie’s Angels. Totally adore her.

Comment by Snap – September 15, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica looks great! Miss her and Tom so much. Thanks for the pic Matt!

Comment by Lupe – September 15, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AAAhh, can’t wait to see her again.
    She’s the only reason I’m going to see this show!
    She looks great!

Comment by Renara – September 15, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good lord.. Erica looks stunning, well as always. The woman doesn’t age at all. Normally i wouldn’t watch anything from Al and Miles, after the way they treated my Lois. But for Erica ill watch anything.
    Plus Erica couldn’t be an Angel, cause shoot she would take the spotlight away. Like i have no idea who the cast is for CA so yeah..
    And lets not forget Erica has her own show in the works, Saving Hope i believe. Ya this woman needs her own show. :)

Comment by dj – September 15, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ramon does not have the charm and the eyes of Tom welling .Tom is good at playing the bad is the real talent ! Ramon is to short.

Comment by Olivia – September 15, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to see Erica back on tv. She really needs her own show

Comment by Michelle – September 15, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • /\ This so much!!! I´m sure “Saving Hope” will be awesome! Erica Durance is in the house! :D

Comment by Fe Rosa – September 16, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see in the new series with Tom Welling and Cassidy Freeman have strong sexual tension!

Comment by Monica – September 15, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom and Cassidy guest star in the Charlie Angels would be fantastic!

Comment by Martin – September 15, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica is so beautiful. Im sure she will kick-ass in the episode. Can’t wait till October!!

Comment by liz – September 15, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something that would make this show amazing..

CAST TOM WELLING IN IT!!!!!

Comment by Yeah! – September 15, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was missing Erica on my tv screen. I can’t wait for this episode. Thanks Matt for the pics.

Comment by Wrenn – September 15, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica is nice but not a great actress, do not confuse beauty with talent. Go see the film that first shot of smallville. Erica has a lot to Smallville, and she does not have a good acting but is very nice!

Comment by Mark – September 15, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhm… then you clearly do NOT know what GOOD acting is! :P

Comment by Rolanda – September 19, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tom welling in the cast of Charlie Angels with the role of bad guy ,it would be great !

Comment by Cecilia – September 15, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

I’m really hoping the episode ends with a twist, and we find out Erica’s character was one of Charlie’s Angels before joining the CIA

Comment by Jason – September 15, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the news, Matt! Smallville has made me a Durance fan for life. I’ll follow her anywhere. I can’t wait to see her on CHARLIE’S ANGELS.

Comment by Christine – September 15, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :D she looks great!

Comment by James – September 15, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Matt!! Great preview, I’ll be tuning in! Hope it’s October 6th ’cause that’s the soonest possible date. ;)

I’d love to see Erica guest on a couple more shows this year before hopefully (no pun intended) having Saving Hope debuting next summer on one of the major US networks. :)

Comment by Luke – September 15, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank for the article Matt. It’s always nice to have Erica news. I look foward to more.

Comment by Shelly – September 15, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Matt! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    (This means sooo much to this Durance fan!)

I’m saving hope you’ll keep us posted for more news and pics of Erica whether it’s about her guest stint at CA or Saving Hope or Gemelle.

Comment by sun – September 15, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Halo again, Matt! I was re-reading your article (and comments)
    and forgot to mention that I love your usual title word play!

Comment by sun – September 15, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. My fav kick-ass chick is back on my TV screen — although I’m not a big fan of these reboots, I’ll give it a go! but I really need her to show up on my fav show Castle!

Comment by Justin – September 15, 2011 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much for the awesome pic and article on one of my favorite actresses!! I can’t wait for her episode to air, I’ve been missing her on my screen!

And I agree with the others: if she had been cast, I would have been a devoted viewer ;-)

Comment by Fates3 – September 15, 2011 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only watched Smallville because of Erica Durance and Clois.

I will certainly watch a CA episode with ED in it. Hopefully her CA character will be a recurring one.

Thanks for the awesome pic of ED and RR, Matt!!!

Comment by set – September 16, 2011 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly SV was awesome cause of Erica Durance, the only reason i watched as well. The girl is so talented and beautiful, im sure she will be great in CA. Her episode could not come soon enough, i miss her.

Comment by dj – September 16, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica is very good at sex scenes,whatch “the butterfly effect 2,not act.

Comment by marina – September 16, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love you Ericaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

the girl needs to have her own show!!!!!

Comment by yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy – September 16, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooh, an article about Erica Durance. Definitely a cue for the Chloe/Lana trogs to slither out of their hidey holes to spew their usual hate. To say that they are sad and predictable would be a total understatement.

Will the extremely beautiful, talented and youthful-looking Erica give a flying **** what those (very likely friendless and ugly) basement dwellers think about her?

Comment by Bo – September 16, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny thing, so is Minka Kelly.

Comment by Gigi – September 16, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is sad, they are all friends. I hope Erica does great and puts the bad offensive people to shame.

Comment by Linda Tyler – September 16, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE HER!!
    I can’t wait to watch this episode

Comment by Sarah – September 16, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the article Matt!!

I always enjoy reading them. I love Erica Durance, she would have definitely would have been an awesome angel. But alas, I loved Smallville and she was the best Lois Lane ever. So, if that was in the way of her auditioning for the role then it’s a good cause.

I won’t probably watch any other episodes of Charles Angels except the one Erica is in, but I will give it a shot. If I think I could like the show without Erica I’ll watch.. if not, I got to see Erica kick some butt.

Hope she gets some action big/romatic comedy big screen movies soon..

Thanks again Matt.